Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 446

post #6676 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljayll View Post
 

Hey Frank, can we get more details on the changes in sound? I'm really interested in getting mine done also.


Ok, two days since I got them and I'm at a loss for words.  I'm not one of these guys who can spew all the terms like some of you (cold, warm, euphonic, etc) but these TH900's sound better than stock.  The bass was always present and strong - it is now so tight and deep and seems limitless how strong it can be with not a speck of distortion or muddiness.  And I've pushed them to the "cup shaking level".   Rarely do I go that way but I had to test them, right?  :basshead:

 

Two test tracks I always use on checking out new phones, auditions, recently modded units - Steely Dan's Aja (title track - has an amazing small group of drum solos) and Hurry Hurry and Deeper, both by Pete Belasco off the Deeper album (the whole album is A+).  I put them on my iPod Touch feeding through a NuForce iDo DAC into my Pioneer Spec 1 & 2 vintage speaker amp system.  Oodles of power (the amp was tested at over 310 watts per channel before distorting) through the headphone out.  Black background - no noise whatsoever.  

 

Lest anyone say "low quality files" - I did the same test with the Aja CD and album on vinyl from my original purchase back in the 70's and same result.  Astounding sound. 

 

Someone should check out those tracks - good music and great for basshead folks.  Anyway, the sound overall is very rich, very balanced, yet is bass-heavy if that makes any sense.  What I mean is I don't sense any area that is not clear and well represented.  Highs are sparkly (there's one of those terms), the mids sound good (voices are like Donald Fagen is in the room with you) and the bass feels bottomless (no end in sight). 

 

I used to feel they were about the equal of my D7000 (which are Lawton modded) but now they are better.  I have to listen to more A/B stuff like the above, which I had no time for last night, before I can say how much better they are, but I cannot imagine a better headphone.  Oh, and the soundstage is as close to open as you can imagine.   You know when you hear something way out to the back left that you think is someone trying to get your attention?  Yep, these do that a lot. 

 

The $129 cost including shipping is a pittance in the world of $400 cable swaps and $300 cup changes.  There is no mod I'd recommend higher than Mark Lawton damping - and he has blown me away twice now.  First time was with my stock D7000 - sent it to him for the damping and his angle pads - what I got back was a great headphone after sending him a good one.  Now I sent him a great headphone and got back what to me seems the perfect sound signature for my liking.  No, I haven't heard a Stax 009 but I'm so impressed by the TH900 that I am quite content. 

 

I'm a Denon/Fostex fanboy and after auditioning or owning over 40 headphones I've found the signature sweet spot for me.  Own a LA2000 that's got extra deep cups and a D600 as well.  Love them all. 

post #6677 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post 

 

I'm a Denon/Fostex fanboy and after auditioning or owning over 40 headphones I've found the signature sweet spot for me.  Own a LA2000 that's got extra deep cups and a D600 as well.  Love them all. 

Thanks for the detailed description! As a former fully modded LA7000 owner, I have been debating getting the Lawton mods done to my TH900s. You may have pushed me over the edge!

post #6678 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


Ok, two days since I got them and I'm at a loss for words.  I'm not one of these guys who can spew all the terms like some of you (cold, warm, euphonic, etc) but these TH900's sound better than stock.  The bass was always present and strong - it is now so tight and deep and seems limitless how strong it can be with not a speck of distortion or muddiness.  And I've pushed them to the "cup shaking level".   Rarely do I go that way but I had to test them, right?  :basshead:

 

Thanks so much Frank. Sounds like a very worthwhile upgrade to at least try. I have to get mine done now!

post #6679 of 7961

So this was just the damping mod only?  Interesting indeed!

post #6680 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBerube80 View Post
 

So this was just the damping mod only?  Interesting indeed!


Yep.  I decided to try the Lawton Angle pads that I already have at home off my D7000 if/when I want to try them.  Likely will give them a go at some point or buy some Stax 002 pads but for now I am good to go. 

post #6681 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZheadcase View Post
 

 

Exactly the type I trust the most. :beerchug:

Same here!! :beerchug:

post #6682 of 7961
@Oregonian Is the dampening mod reversible?
post #6683 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

@Oregonian Is the dampening mod reversible?


I'd say more than likely.  I did my D2000 cups damping myself and the Dynamat would peel off.  Not sure how it would respond after a few weeks/months/years tho.  Same for the driver mods. 

post #6684 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

How is the bass character on the TH-900?

 

Is it very tight and precise like on the HD800? Or is it a little slower and a bit flabby like on the HD650? Somewhere in between?

 

Also - would you say that this is a "euphoric" headphone? Or is it more clinical?

The HD800 and TH-900 really cannot be compared because they are so so different. This is why i chose to keep only these 2 HPs and sell the rest. To describe the bass, the TH900 has more impact, especially in the mid-bass region. This makes the sound much fuller than the HD800. All this while keeping the bass highly precise with amazing bass decay. They both have their strengths and their place for which music im listening to and what mood im in.

post #6685 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


I'd say more than likely.  I did my D2000 cups damping myself and the Dynamat would peel off.  Not sure how it would respond after a few weeks/months/years tho.  Same for the driver mods. 


It's a bear to get off after some time.  Damaged a few fingernails while trying to be gentle on the cups but, YES, it can be done.  You would have to be EXTREMELY careful when pulling it off the driver casing.


Edited by germay0653 - 3/28/14 at 5:40am
post #6686 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by germay0653 View Post


It's a bear to get off after some time.  Damaged a few fingernails while trying to be gentle on the cups but, YES, it can be done.  You would have to be EXTREMLY careful when pulling it off the driver casing.

Sounds scary!

I will just have to be content reading about your modding experiences for now. I can't bear the thought of opening up my TH900s. Maybe after 5 or 6 years. Lol!
post #6687 of 7961

Ok, so next stupid question.

 

How do you think the TH900 compares to the Denon D7000 or a fully modded LA7000?

 

I'm liking the idea of buying the TH900's but the D7000 are half the price or so...

 

Maybe I'm asking in the wrong thread? :rolleyes:

post #6688 of 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

Ok, so next stupid question.

 

How do you think the TH900 compares to the Denon D7000 or a fully modded LA7000?

 

I'm liking the idea of buying the TH900's but the D7000 are half the price or so...

 

Maybe I'm asking in the wrong thread? :rolleyes:

I can't comment on the raw D7000. I had a full modded LA7000 (mod, cups, pads, cable) and it was very very good. The TH900 has much better soundstage, less mud in the bottom end, and the treble has more air. The TH900 tends to have a bit more sizzle with poor recordings, so the LA7000 was a bit more forgiving. Decent recordings though, the TH900 is better in every way.

 

Price for my full mod was as much as the current price for a TH900, so if you are thinking of doing the full mod, I think the TH900 is the way to go. The LA7000 are beautiful though!

 


Edited by floydfan33 - 3/28/14 at 10:13am
post #6689 of 7961
Oregonian,

Have the angled EarPads increased the TH900 ability to isolate? What type of cups did you get? Do your mods make the TH900 sound spacious?

Long story short I was going to have my buy the TH900's, but chose the Ultrase ED5 instead. I was refunded my money so I'm looking at the TH900's again
post #6690 of 7961
I just wanted to say...I love my th900's like a member of the family (well not quite!) But if anyone ever creates the offspring mating of the th900 and the LCD 3 then I think no other headphone would ever be needed....just a thought.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread