Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 428

post #6406 of 8523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


I have them both and I'd call them almost clones of each other.  Both are hella fun.

 

Once again, thank you for the reply Oregonian.  So, the TH-900 does everything a bit better than the D7000 while retaining that "fun factor." 

 

Sold!

post #6407 of 8523

I also owned D7000s, and now have the TH900; these are the go-to cans for older rock/pop recordings from the 60s and 70s, that often need a bit of bass reinforcement.  

 

I love the TH900 with my old Beatles, Cream, Jefferson Airplane, etc.  They really bring these recordings back to life.

post #6408 of 8523
It may not be your cup of tea but try some new chill out or down tempo, thats where the bass, separation, 3d effects really kick in. As an example and I'm sorry to one of my fav artists, Bowie station to station, what a compressed lousy production compared to now a days, granted no one makes music like Bowie so.....
post #6409 of 8523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzzup View Post

It may not be your cup of tea but try some new chill out or down tempo, thats where the bass, separation, 3d effects really kick in. As an example and I'm sorry to one of my fav artists, Bowie station to station, what a compressed lousy production compared to now a days, granted no one makes music like Bowie so.....

I find that Bowie albums are generally well produced. I've not heard Station to Station since I started using crazy expensive audiophile gear. I'll dig it out tomorrow.
post #6410 of 8523
Young americans and say newer stuff night and day, but this is just my IMO, heroes ain't great either, its not that I don't appreciate or find the cans helped, but they won't make wine from water. By the way station and heroes, american are my fav Bowie albums.
Edited by Whazzzup - 2/26/14 at 6:48am
post #6411 of 8523

I owned th900 since January this year, and I think this was one of the best investments i had since LCD2. Only downside is that I really, genuinely hate the urushi finish on my cans. Thus, I'm planning to invest in some custom wooden chambers either from martin or lawton, depending on prices and choices of wood. Do I void my warranty by replacing the stock chambers with the custom ones? Are the angle pads + cups worth the price I'm going to have to pay?

post #6412 of 8523

Not me, I absolutely love the TH-900 finish, its very unique, no other headphone as this finish. And the build quality just screams precision & thought! Although i really like Lawton's custom cups i couldnt bring myself to mess with the chemistry of the Cherry Birch on this headphone. 

 

I would like to hear your feedback if you do it though. I believe there a another guy going to put some custom cups on his TH-900 also a few pages back.

post #6413 of 8523
it's a stunning looking can. don't understand why anyone would want to mess with it.
post #6414 of 8523
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

it's a stunning looking can. don't understand why anyone would want to mess with it.

I agree--it's distinctive.  I have it hanging next to LCD-X and HD-800, and if I tell visitors to pick a pair if they want to listen to something, they always reach for the TH-900, without even knowing the sound signatures of any of the headphones.

post #6415 of 8523
Look its personal but look at those Japanese guys painstakingly working tons of hours preparing, lacquering, etc.. I wouldn't change them. Yes you will void warranty by modifying any can, amp etc cable....
I have a call out to a guy on the th900 thread who is doing a mod as to what happens. Personally I don't see the point, there is no sloppy bass or high end burn to fix. Why equalize, just leave the thing alone and enjoy it, IMO.
post #6416 of 8523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzzup View Post

Look its personal but look at those Japanese guys painstakingly working tons of hours preparing, lacquering, etc.. I wouldn't change them. Yes you will void warranty by modifying any can, amp etc cable....
I have a call out to a guy on the th900 thread who is doing a mod as to what happens. Personally I don't see the point, there is no sloppy bass or high end burn to fix. Why equalize, just leave the thing alone and enjoy it, IMO.

+1
post #6417 of 8523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzzup View Post

Look its personal but look at those Japanese guys painstakingly working tons of hours preparing, lacquering, etc.. I wouldn't change them. Yes you will void warranty by modifying any can, amp etc cable....
I have a call out to a guy on the th900 thread who is doing a mod as to what happens. Personally I don't see the point, there is no sloppy bass or high end burn to fix. Why equalize, just leave the thing alone and enjoy it, IMO.

This would be me, doing Lawton damping on my TH900. I never said it had sloppy bass but neither did my D7000 when I did the Lawton mods, and it did improve it quite a bit. I don't expect as stark a difference but I'm looking forward to the unveiling in a couple of weeks. I bought the headphones with a Q French Silk cable in place of stock. Didn't discourage me a bit.

Why I did it? Because I can, and am a natural tinkerer. I can't leave anything stock alone, from my 1200 lb ft diesel truck to my mountain bike so headphones are no different.

Oh, and just to be clear, the Urushi cups are staying, the damping is done to the interior of the cups. I mention this as there are folks who don't know what the Lawton mods are.

It's also fun trying to improve things that are already amazing. At my age I consider it fine tuning things. biggrin.gif.

Plus, as my bud Greed says, I'm cray.......biggrin.gif
Edited by Oregonian - 2/28/14 at 6:54am
post #6418 of 8523
Not knocking, go 4 it, let us know. It was a post from the denon family that fostex used to make that had some limitations. Fostex improved every aspect from that model, pads, cable, diaphragm, housing, etc, so really just curious.
post #6419 of 8523
Uh you guys are steering me away from doing it. confused_face.gif

I don't see a problem with custom chambers as they are 100% reversible. No?

I'm mainly doing this as a cosmetic "upgrade." I know different woods yield differnt acoustic performance, but I assume there would be a minor change in sound signature.

I'm deciding the wood to use for my th900 at this stage of time biggrin.gif
post #6420 of 8523
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler28nm View Post

Uh you guys are steering me away from doing it. confused_face.gif

I don't see a problem with custom chambers as they are 100% reversible. No?

I'm mainly doing this as a cosmetic "upgrade." I know different woods yield differnt acoustic performance, but I assume there would be a minor change in sound signature.

I'm deciding the wood to use for my th900 at this stage of time biggrin.gif

not sure if you can undo a loss of warranty.....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread