Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 425

post #6361 of 8530

To me, it mostly appears okay from the outside. Or maybe the top of the left screw might be popping up a bit. I don't know what your best option might be. Contact Fostex or your audio store for a repair/replacement?

 

My left cup is a bit loose (but hasn't changed) and I haven't done anything about it. Probably over a year since I bought mine now though.


Edited by namaiki - 2/20/14 at 4:02am
post #6362 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
 

To me, it mostly appears okay from the outside. Or maybe the top of the left screw might be popping up a bit. I don't know what your best option might be. Contact Fostex or your audio store for a repair/replacement?

 

My left cup is a bit loose (but hasn't changed) and I haven't done anything about it. Probably over a year since I bought mine now though.

Yea I noticed the left screw being slightly higher. I will send them a pm about it. Thanks for the help!

 

 

 

Edit- I may have problems though as the cable has been modded to be detachable...


Edited by KCxSmacker - 2/20/14 at 8:39am
post #6363 of 8530
Had to go look cause just don't get it, looks like there is an internal issue, no external screw. Hope you are in warranty.
post #6364 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCxSmacker View Post
 

Yea I noticed the left screw being slightly higher. I will send them a pm about it. Thanks for the help!

 

 

 

Edit- I may have problems though as the cable has been modded to be detachable...


If you guys are comfortable working on the fix yourself, it's really simple to deal with.  Take the pads off, then you can take the cups off with the 4 screws that are accessible from the slot the pad ring snaps into.  Then you can get at the screw holding the cup to the gimbal (not sure if that's the right word).  If you need to tighten the two screws holding the cups to the holder thingie (like my technical jargon?) you remove the driver unit and you now have access.  Anyway, there are videos on the Lawton website and on youtube on how to do do the Lawton damping and this teaches you how to access the innards of the headphones.  I've taken my D2000 down to the frame with no worries. 

post #6365 of 8530

And you would probably void the warranty of your very expensive headphone at the same time. 


Edited by zenpunk - 2/20/14 at 11:44am
post #6366 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post
 

And you would probably void the warranty of you very expensive headphone at the same time. 


True, but if he already recabled it he probably voided the warranty already.  I personally would rather fix it myself than send it somewhere and be without it for weeks.  But if it was pristine, untouched, unmodified I'd probably ask them to warranty fix it, as you're recommending. 

post #6367 of 8530

I agree. Same if he is the second owner.

@kcxgte,

If you decide to fix it yourself, make sure you take some nice pics of the inside to share. ;)

post #6368 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzzup View Post

Too bad to hear of the lousy service, I only order gear through local high end shops. The wait will be worth it I think. Let us now how they are and compare to the hd800.
To me the TH-900 & HD800 are complete opposite headphones. They are my end-game pair (for now, lol) the hd800 is very analytical and excels is imaging & soundstage. They have peaked trebles, but their mid & treble clarity are unmatched. Perfect for instrumental, vocals, classical, jazz, & orchestra. The only thing wrong with them is they can sound flat with some music genres. The TH-900 excels in dynamics, with impactful low frequencies when you want to feel the music, while still having that high-end mid & treble accuracy and clarity. It really gives some music genres so much more life & soul. Great for rock, pop, DubStep, and hip hop. A smaller soundstage than the massive one on the hd800, but large enough for 3d imaging and instrument spatial separation.

Hd800 also leaks a lot on sound both in and out. When it's noisy around or late at night to keep sound in, the closed TH-900 takes precedence.

Both great for which mood I am in and music genre I feel like listening to. Both masters at their own elements.

I sold my Beyerdynamic T1. I would say its sound signature is in between the TH-900 & hd800. Amazing with all music genres. Just didn't have that special magic that my two current headphones have.
Edited by Swolern - 2/20/14 at 9:18pm
post #6369 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post


To me the TH-900 & HD800 are complete opposite headphones. They are my end-game pair (for now, lol) the hd800 is very analytical and excels is imaging & soundstage. They have peaked trebles, but their mid & treble clarity are unmatched. Perfect for instrumental, vocals, classical, jazz, & orchestra. The only thing wrong with them is they can sound flat with some music genres. The TH-900 excels in dynamics, with impactful low frequencies when you want to feel the music, while still having that high-end mid & treble accuracy and clarity. It really gives some music genres so much more life & soul. Great for rock, pop, DubStep, and hip hop. A smaller soundstage than the massive one on the hd800, but large enough for 3d imaging and instrument spatial separation.

Hd800 also leaks a lot on sound both in and out. When it's noisy around or late at night to keep sound in, the closed TH-900 takes precedence.

Both great for which mood I am in and music genre I feel like listening to. Both masters at their own elements.

I sold my Beyerdynamic T1. I would say its sound signature is in between the TH-900 & hd800. Amazing with all music genres. Just didn't have that special magic that my two current headphones have.

 

I have both TH900 and HD800 and feel the same way about them - although i have the LCD-3's as well which takes up quite a bit of my time :P

HE-6 is also on the way with a studio six not falling far behind....

post #6370 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revogamer View Post
 

 

I have both TH900 and HD800 and feel the same way about them - although i have the LCD-3's as well which takes up quite a bit of my time :P

HE-6 is also on the way with a studio six not falling far behind....

All those great HPs, some are bound to get lonely. :smile:

 

Im done buying headphones for a while. My two do everything i could want and desire. Im looking into a new amp though. Possibly the HDVD800 or the WA2.

post #6371 of 8530

I'm really conflicted on whether to get the TH900s or not. I don't know how much of an improvement it will be over my D7000s. I've read through this thread and it seems to be better in pretty much everything when compared to the D7000s. I will also have to get rid of my D7000s if I get the TH900s. Don't know what to do since I can't audition them easily. Anyone want to give me advice? 

post #6372 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljayll View Post
 

I'm really conflicted on whether to get the TH900s or not. I don't know how much of an improvement it will be over my D7000s. I've read through this thread and it seems to be better in pretty much everything when compared to the D7000s. I will also have to get rid of my D7000s if I get the TH900s. Don't know what to do since I can't audition them easily. Anyone want to give me advice? 

Well here is a review that gives a pretty good comparison to the D7000. http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/12/fostex-th900-review.html

 

IMO if you like the D7000 sound signature you will love these. Oh I see you have the with the WA2. Anyone paired the WA2 with the TH-900 before?

post #6373 of 8530

Just read through it thanks. Looks like I'll be getting the TH900.  :mad:

post #6374 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post
 

Well here is a review that gives a pretty good comparison to the D7000. http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/12/fostex-th900-review.html

 

IMO if you like the D7000 sound signature you will love these. Oh I see you have the with the WA2. Anyone paired the WA2 with the TH-900 before?

Don't use the wa2 with low impedance cans. The th900 works with wa2 but its medicore at best

post #6375 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtung View Post
 

Don't use the wa2 with low impedance cans. The th900 works with wa2 but its medicore at best

I've tested out the WA2 with the D7000s and it doesn't sound too bad but not great. The D7000s sound much better from my DAC headphone out than from the WA2. I assume the TH900s will be similarly non ideal. But it is an OTL amp that's best paired with high impedance headphones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread