or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 386

post #5776 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by germay0653 View Post

No, they actually apply damping material, dynamat like, to the cups and to parts of the driver basket itself.

The net effect of this is to tighten the bass up, and some say the treble is improved.
post #5777 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZheadcase View Post

I was interested in the pads at one point. 

The stock pads and the headband look a bit fragile - easy to scuff and tear. Maybe when the stock pads wear out, I will try the Lawton pads. Or not. hehehe. 

Looked at the cups. Stock ones are waaaaaay nicer looking. 
Basing opinion on internet photos is not conclusive. My HD600 pads look as good as the day of purchase 4 years later. All about taking care of kit and personal hygiene
post #5778 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

Basing opinion on internet photos is not conclusive. My HD600 pads look as good as the day of purchase 4 years later. All about taking care of kit and personal hygiene

I was referring to the cups, not the pads.

While I see your point about seeing them up front and personal, that is not possible for me at the moment due to geographical location.

I have seen several AT wood cups before and still feel the TH900 cups look better. No disrespect to the lawton woodcups meant. This is simply a visual preference afterall.
Edited by NZheadcase - 11/27/13 at 10:28am
post #5779 of 14504
IMO, the TH900's cups would look very nice, if Fostex wasn't written in the centre, or anywhere on them.
post #5780 of 14504
Hmmm...looking at them now and imagining them without the lettering, yes it would raise the classiness a little bit. But the lettering is tastefully done. Just like the sq.

Listening to some orchestral christmas carols. Getting my yule spirit on early. Hehehe.biggrin.gif
post #5781 of 14504
I was thinking on placing an order for the TH900, but after seeing LCD-XC ( Bubinga wood ) I soon changed my mind.
post #5782 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I was thinking on placing an order for the TH900, but after seeing LCD-XC ( Bubinga wood ) I soon changed my mind.


Let us know how they sound.  Do you have a Denon or Fostex to compare to? 

post #5783 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I was thinking on placing an order for the TH900, but after seeing LCD-XC ( Bubinga wood ) I soon changed my mind.


Let us know how they sound.  Do you have a Denon or Fostex to compare to? 

I've never heard a Denon, but in 2012 I heard the TH900's and LCD-2's at a head-fi meeting and out of the two I preferred the TH900, however I've read about the LCD-XC that it's less bassy than the the LCD-2 and also less veiled. There's another reason why I'm going for the LCD-XC, and that's because I'm planning on doing something with it, I can't do with the TH900.
Regarding me posting how the LCD's sound, I'd like to do that but I'm no good at describing SQ.
post #5784 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I've never heard a Denon, but in 2012 I heard the TH900's and LCD-2's at a head-fi meeting and out of the two I preferred the TH900, however I've read about the LCD-XC that it's less bassy than the the LCD-2 and also less veiled. There's another reason why I'm going for the LCD-XC, and that's because I'm planning on doing something with it, I can't do with the TH900.
Regarding me posting how the LCD's sound, I'd like to do that but I'm no good at describing SQ.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember the XC having more bass than the 2. It was a brief listen though.
post #5785 of 14504
I'm only going by what I've read, however I remember before I got the SR-007mk1 + SRM-007t in 2000, I was told that combo sounded very good, but when I got them I wasn't that impressed with the SQ. I've since learnt the SRM-007t was to blame for that. My point being, it's interesting to read head-fiers thoughts on audio gear, but it's best ( when possible ) to hear it yourself.
Also, unless everybody is using exactly the same audio equipment, the headphones being listened to IMO, won't sound exactly the same.
post #5786 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

... There's another reason why I'm going for the LCD-XC, and that's because I'm planning on doing something with it, I can't do with the TH900.

???? What
post #5787 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


The net effect of this is to tighten the bass up, and some say the treble is improved.

my humble opinion is that the TH900s are just fine the way they are...at least to my ears.

post #5788 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

my humble opinion is that the TH900s are just fine the way they are...at least to my ears.

 

+1

post #5789 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

my humble opinion is that the TH900s are just fine the way they are...at least to my ears.


I hear what you're saying (no pun intended) and I have no complaints about them.  That said, I remember what the D7000 was like before and after Lawton mods and can only imagine the possibilities of improving the TH900. 

post #5790 of 14504

Maybe a mod would -improve- things a bit, maybe just tune them different... To my ears as well they already sound great the way they are; unlike for example the W1000X I tried not so long ago, from the first listen (and to an extent that no "burn-in" would ever fix)

 

I might like the brightness of the TH900 to be toned down just a smidgen, but in light of delicateness of the cups and the general cost I personally would not take that risk. (And besides, since it's fairly subtle it can be dialed in further up the chain) Again unlike the aforementioned W1000X for example where I would have no qualms about it if I could be bothered...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread