Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 376

post #5626 of 8007
Own quite a few over-produced modern CDs and find TH900 treble still beautiful. Like above only isolated tracks have issue, but definitely not TH900 fault
post #5627 of 8007

The treble on mine is silky and detailed. Really enjoying it. Definitely not hot. Super comfortable headphone. I think they may be even more comfortable to me the the hd800, but this is from memory. The price (used) was completely worth it for me. I would even pay the new price, now that I know how good these sound.

post #5628 of 8007
The latest discussions on the treble in the TH 900 are timely. I was A/B ing the 900 with the LCD 3 and for every song, the 900 had more elevated treble compared to the 3. My first reaction was: Wow, when fix these cans become sibilant ? I know that's exaggerated but I was taken by surprise. My 900 is only over a month old so I don't want to be definitive yet.
post #5629 of 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

The latest discussions on the treble in the TH 900 are timely. I was A/B ing the 900 with the LCD 3 and for every song, the 900 had more elevated treble compared to the 3. My first reaction was: Wow, when fix these cans become sibilant ? I know that's exaggerated but I was taken by surprise. My 900 is only over a month old so I don't want to be definitive yet.

 

This could be just what one is used to though. e.g. for me I'm used to the TH-900s, SR-009, and even the SR-007Mk1 so when I listen to the LCD-3 to me they sound somewhat "veiled" (and this is Currawong's former LCD-3 which he had gone through 3 of them).

post #5630 of 8007
quote name="AnakChan" url="/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/5625#post_9948380"]
This could be just what one is used to though. e.g. for me I'm used to the TH-900s, SR-009, and even the SR-007Mk1 so when I listen to the LCD-3 to me they sound somewhat "veiled" (and this is Currawong's former LCD-3 which he had gone through 3 of them).
[/quote]
Good point. My daughter will not listen to the Audez'e HPs anymore and she used the word "veiled " as well. I, on the other hand, spend more time with the 3.
Whew, I thought that the 900 was going the way of the HE 400 in terms of treble and sibilance.
Thanks
post #5631 of 8007

The TH900 to me, anyhow, is more pronounced in the bass and trebles than other headphones in the price category but are in no way sibilant to me especially on the Cavalli Lau. The LAu fleshes out the mids on them so vocals sounds full and are never lost. However, they were edgy and on the borderline of being sibilant on other amps

 

With the Cavalli Lau, I find myself enjoying the TH900 more than the LCD 2 & 3 but this, of course, is more of a personal preference than ultimate performance. 

post #5632 of 8007

Good to hear, guys. I'm coming from an HD650, so the TH900's are quite a change in sound signature. But I was used to a more u-shaped sig before I got the Senns, so it's probably just as easy to switch back.

post #5633 of 8007

 

Yummy :)

post #5634 of 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

This could be just what one is used to though. e.g. for me I'm used to the TH-900s, SR-009, and even the SR-007Mk1 so when I listen to the LCD-3 to me they sound somewhat "veiled" (and this is Currawong's former LCD-3 which he had gone through 3 of them).

 

This was one of the main reasons I opted for the Fostex after I had both these headphones for an extended audition (along with a Bakoon HPA-21). You think the LCD-3 is the best thing in the world, but then you put on another high-end headphone like the TH900 or T1 and feel that someone just removed a veil from on top of the music. It's pretty striking, especially considering the LCD-3 was supposedly an unveiled version.

post #5635 of 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochin View Post
 

 

This was one of the main reasons I opted for the Fostex after I had both these headphones for an extended audition (along with a Bakoon HPA-21). You think the LCD-3 is the best thing in the world, but then you put on another high-end headphone like the TH900 or T1 and feel that someone just removed a veil from on top of the music. It's pretty striking, especially considering the LCD-3 was supposedly an unveiled version.

How did you like the Bakoon ?

post #5636 of 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochin View Post
 

 

This was one of the main reasons I opted for the Fostex after I had both these headphones for an extended audition (along with a Bakoon HPA-21). You think the LCD-3 is the best thing in the world, but then you put on another high-end headphone like the TH900 or T1 and feel that someone just removed a veil from on top of the music. It's pretty striking, especially considering the LCD-3 was supposedly an unveiled version.

 

Each person has his own tastes. I definitely like my sparkle more so than a lush but muffled sound, despite my love for female vocals. I sometimes confuse myself.

post #5637 of 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revogamer View Post




Yummy smily_headphones1.gif

That's a nice shot. biggrin.gif
post #5638 of 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

How did you like the Bakoon ?

 

Not quite perfect, but still the best I've heard on the TH900. At first I figured the Bakoon would be too neutral, but it's actually slightly U shaped.

In terms of math/science/logic, the Bakoon and the Fostex shouldn't add up (U + U sound sigs), but they somehow do.

Wish I could afford one. Also wish I could get my hands on a Stratus or GS-X for an audition. =[

post #5639 of 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

The latest discussions on the treble in the TH 900 are timely. I was A/B ing the 900 with the LCD 3 and for every song, the 900 had more elevated treble compared to the 3. My first reaction was: Wow, when fix these cans become sibilant ? I know that's exaggerated but I was taken by surprise. My 900 is only over a month old so I don't want to be definitive yet.

I think in this case, the TH900 only seems sibilant and hot on the treble due to the nature of the opposite can. The LCDs are warm and dark, with thick, full sound. A more appropriate a/b perhaps would be the T1 and the TH900 - closed to semi closed- or the TH900 and T5P - closed dynamic to closed dynamic.
post #5640 of 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZheadcase View Post


I think in this case, the TH900 only seems sibilant and hot on the treble due to the nature of the opposite can. The LCDs are warm and dark, with thick, full sound. A more appropriate a/b perhaps would be the T1 and the TH900 - closed to semi closed- or the TH900 and T5P - closed dynamic to closed dynamic.

NZ, thanks. I realize that its been a bit of apples to oranges comparison on my part. Its just that I had not listened to the 900 for 2 weeks so it was a shock to me. As an aside, when I get the LCD-XC I should have a more interesting and pertinent A/B exercise. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread