Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 353

post #5281 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by playitloud View Post

And these resistors are connected in series so that they decrease the signal from the speaker amplifier to the headphone. Correct?. Any idea how much they decrease the signal. Thanks

 

I believe that Can Opener needs a common ground between your amp's speaker out (post # 6, http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-can-opener-passive-headphone-jack.313867/).

post #5282 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokendog View Post

Thanks smily_headphones1.gif


The HD-800 is extremely comfortable, stylish, and well worth the price if you prefer analytical headphones that pick every single detail out of the music but to me they just weren't a perfect match because I prefer musicality and fun vs. reference and analytical.  The HD-800s are extremely good though but just were not my cup of tea.  I've owned them like 3 times.

The LCD-2s/3 were a much better fit for me than the HD-800s but I could never get over the mad scientist look vs. the simple, stylish, high-end look of the TH-900s which still looked like headphones.  I also didn't enjoy the pressure from the LCD-2s which for me had a vice grip like hold on my skull.  The LCD-3s were much better at this, the pads are a significant improvement in my opinion, but in the end, I still preferred the TH-900s which just fit me personally.

What works for me may definitely not work for you.  Each person is different and therefore I may seem out of my mind when you try them and experience a completely different reaction. 

The TH-900s are stylish, sleek, light, easy on the ears, bass surgeons who have spent years honing their craft, and are just down right fun to listen to.  The decay and low THD is the magic mojo that sets them apart.

The next best thing for me is the LCD-3s which still have that crazy mad scientist look but are extremely comfortable, cool looking, and a great listen.  I also really enjoyed the Ultrasone Signature series.  I will likely permanently own a pair of Sig DJs in the future.  I regret selling my pair.

In the end, for the type of preferences that I have, and the music that I listen to, the TH-900s are as close to a perfect headphone I've found.

Exactly how I felt 100%. The fun of th900 is just fantastic, not too much not too little .. Just nice, I actually like to called it the reference fun can.
post #5283 of 7539
The th900 is my favourite headphone so far but I really wonder how long it can last??

How's the durability of bio- diaphragm compares to other high end headphones like HD800 or lcd3? confused_face_2.gif
As I heard some of the ppl said its not good to burn in the bio- diaphragm. Can anyone please justify this? I don't want my favourite headphone only last 5 6 years then the SQ start to reduce... LOL
post #5284 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post

I don't want my favourite headphone only last 5 6 years then the SQ start to reduce... LOL

 

 

Your over-thinking things. 

post #5285 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post


Exactly how I felt 100%. The fun of th900 is just fantastic, not too much not too little .. Just nice, I actually like to called it the reference fun can.

 

 

I received my th900's earlier today and have had them running non-stop, listening to them on/off as the day progressed. Initially I was worried that they wouldn't have the technical chops of the LCD-2.r2 - but the th900's paired with the DAC in the HP-a8c are quite good. More impressive is their ability to cross genres with ease. I had the LCD-2.r2 & LCD-3's/Conductor before this - and even they didn't do this well across my collection. 

 

I know a lot of people enjoy a more powerful amp with the TH900s (E.G., the soloist, WA7) - and although I'd love to have a amp-only WA7, I'm wondering if that'd really improve anything. What I'm hearing right now from the HP-a8c/TH900 is damn solid. After listening to them for a few hours, I can see why you'd call them a 'reference fun can'... very appropriate moniker. 


Edited by the-kraken - 9/4/13 at 8:36pm
post #5286 of 7539
Mac mini with amarra - cantanta - bakoon 5210 mk3 - Th900 - headphone heaven
post #5287 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-kraken View Post
 

 

 

I received my th900's earlier today and have had them running non-stop, listening to them on/off as the day progressed. Initially I was worried that they wouldn't have the technical chops of the LCD-2.r2 - but the th900's paired with the DAC in the HP-a8c are quite good. More impressive is their ability to cross genres with ease. I had the LCD-2.r2 & LCD-3's/Conductor before this - and even they didn't do this well across my collection. 

 

I know a lot of people enjoy a more powerful amp with the TH900s (E.G., the soloist, WA7) - and although I'd love to have a amp-only WA7, I'm wondering if that'd really improve anything. What I'm hearing right now from the HP-a8c/TH900 is damn solid. After listening to them for a few hours, I can see why you'd call them a 'reference fun can'... very appropriate moniker. 

 

Congratulations...

 

I am picking up my pair tomorrow at long last..........

post #5288 of 7539

Have you run the Cantanta wirelessly? 

post #5289 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post

As I heard some of the ppl said its not good to burn in the bio- diaphragm. Can anyone please justify this?
I wish people would provide a link. Or if it is just something they are thinking themselves to just say it. There is certainly nothing like this if you have read the entire thread. The biodyna and egg protein have been rehashed over several times
post #5290 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post
 

 

Congratulations...

 

I am picking up my pair tomorrow at long last..........

Coincidentally, I'll be receiving the 1P2 tomorrow ;).

 

Will definitely be interested in your initial thoughts.

post #5291 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post
 

Coincidentally, I'll be receiving the 1P2 tomorrow ;).

 

Will definitely be interested in your initial thoughts.

 

OK, can share thoughts :wink_face:

post #5292 of 7539

As I recall from memory, TH900 has much more bass presence than the 1P2, but overall a similar signature U curve. As for the specifics, I can't really remember so I won't say. However, I don't remember one sounding better than the other in terms of overall general performance; the 1P2 was an excellent pair of IEMs which impressed me a lot with its superb imaging and soundstage as well as that visceral dynamic bass which was not overdone but present when needed. I don't think I gave TH900 a fair shot to really be able to evaluate it but I do remember hearing so much bass quantity to the point that I was a bit shocked, impressed, but not really attracted to it.

 

I still need to publish my review of the 1Plus2 but I'm waiting until this darned JH3A arrives. I waited 10 months when they first came out, cancelled the order, then re-ordered a year later, and now I'm waiting another month or longer because it's apparently backordered... So sick and tired of JHA cs...

 

 

On another note, I'm wondering just how non-isolating the TH900 is. I'm actually looking for a closed back can that would muffle out external noises but not so much as I want to be able to hold a conversation without taking them off. With my CIEM, I feel cut off from the external world completely, and it unnerves me whenever I'm walking around... So I'm put off by it when I'm out and about, but it's great when I'm sitting down in the library or something.

post #5293 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post
 

Coincidentally, I'll be receiving the 1P2 tomorrow ;).

 

Will definitely be interested in your initial thoughts.

 

Very interested to hear your impressions.  I have a TH900 and I am looking for an IEM for when I need ultra portability or... NON-leaking headphone.

 

I love my TH900 so I will be interested to know if the 1P2 is in the same league and same sound signature.

 

What cable did you ordered ?  the UBER ..... :D  

post #5294 of 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post
 

 

On another note, I'm wondering just how non-isolating the TH900 is. I'm actually looking for a closed back can that would muffle out external noises but not so much as I want to be able to hold a conversation without taking them off. With my CIEM, I feel cut off from the external world completely, and it unnerves me whenever I'm walking around... So I'm put off by it when I'm out and about, but it's great when I'm sitting down in the library or something.

 

Will also be very interested to hear your comments on the 1P2 since I am hesitating between 1P2 et some JH (more likely the JH13) to "upgrade" my Westone ES3X

 

Re the TH900, is it a close headphone, BUT IT LEAKS SOUNDS.  IN and OUT.  Not as much as a grado... but still...

 

This is why I am investigating 1P2, JH13 or... Edition8/SigPRO


Edited by bmichels - 9/5/13 at 1:20am
post #5295 of 7539

1p2 vs JH13/16 FP would solely and entirely depend on your music preference. That I can guarantee.

 

Wtf how bad is the bleeding? Surely not as bad as open backs like HD800? Bleed on HD800 is terrible, much more so than the LCD3... 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread