Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 294

post #4396 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post

No one has disputed TH900 being "fun". I guess I'm really in the minority since many seem to associate EDM to huge bass with ear piercing treble (=fun music? eh). Not to mention how vague "electronic" or "EDM" can be anyway, not all even have bass..

When someone looks phones for IDM/EDM/rock/soundtracks without stating anything else about own preferences, I would hesitate recommending the expensive TH900 straight away. To me it sounds like a more neutral and open phone might be in order. Naturally that's just my preferences. Who knows, maybe TH600 would be nice, it would be fun to hear if it's a bit more neutral than it's big brother.

 

That^ I definitely don't agree with. I can't understand how anyone would think the TH-900 has HUGE bass, I'm guessing you've never heard some other bass emphasized headphones like the D2K, D5K, D7K, HE-400, Q-40, M-100, etc. All those headphones IMO have more bass quantity. Quality I would say not many compete with the TH-900. Also, you aren't the first to mention "piercing treble" but it is definitely rare to see. I don't get it. You profess that the HD800 is such as good all around headphone, maybe true, but are you not bothered by the HD800 treble which IMO is much more aggressive, and are bothered by the TH-900. It doesn't make much sense to me. Also, I would try the TH-900 with multiple sources and amps if you have the chance. I'm quite sensitive to harsh/piercing treble and I don't experience that with the TH-900 at all. Might be my gear, who knows. 

 

Electronica is not really vague, it is a legitimate genre of music. Now, I understand under electronic music there are MANY sub-genres such as EDM, but there all share common characteristics. One of them being prominent bass. Bass is emphasized in electronic music, so naturally people would enjoy music that has emphasized bass with cans like TH-900 with its fast decay, impactful bass, and linear bass (i.e not as bloomy as the LCD-2). Obviously everyone has their own tastes, but for me the TH-900 bring "fun" every time I put them on, because of their unique sound signature. I listen to most of my phones equally depending on the genre I'm in the mood for. Personally I use: TH-900 for electronic and pop. LCD-3 for jazz, rock, classic rock, metal, progressive rock, etc. and the HD800 for more sophisticated music such as classical. I maybe the only one who thinks that shrill highs are not pleasant especially for electronic music, but I'm fine with that. The HD800 would be great I assume if it didn't have the peak in the treble region. I haven't played around with EQ, so I might change my opinion, but right now I feel you can get much better than the TH-900 for electronic music. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Apologies, I thought I wrote "my" king of closed back...not "the" king of closed backs.

Sorry Sean, that was directed at Hekeli not you smily_headphones1.gif. I agree that the Sig DJs do a very good job at rendering electronic music specifically EDM. I can understand why some would tend to find the lushness of the TH-900 to be somewhat distracting or not suited for electronic music. I guess in this situation YMMV. 

post #4397 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

That^ I definitely don't agree with. I can't understand how anyone would think the TH-900 has HUGE bass, I'm guessing you've never heard some other bass emphasized headphones like the D2K, D5K, D7K, HE-400, Q-40, M-100, etc. All those headphones IMO have more bass quantity. Quality I would say not many compete with the TH-900. Also, you aren't the first to mention "piercing treble" but it is definitely rare to see. I don't get it. You profess that the HD800 is such as good all around headphone, maybe true, but are you not bothered by the HD800 treble which IMO is much more aggressive, and are bothered by the TH-900. It doesn't make much sense to me. Also, I would try the TH-900 with multiple sources and amps if you have the chance. I'm quite sensitive to harsh/piercing treble and I don't experience that with the TH-900 at all. Might be my gear, who knows. 

 

Electronica is not really vague, it is a legitimate genre of music. Now, I understand under electronic music there are MANY sub-genres such as EDM, but there all share common characteristics. One of them being prominent bass. Bass is emphasized in electronic music, so naturally people would enjoy music that has emphasized bass with cans like TH-900 with its fast decay, impactful bass, and linear bass (i.e not as bloomy as the LCD-2). Obviously everyone has their own tastes, but for me the TH-900 bring "fun" every time I put them on, because of their unique sound signature. I listen to most of my phones equally depending on the genre I'm in the mood for. Personally I use: TH-900 for electronic and pop. LCD-3 for jazz, rock, classic rock, metal, progressive rock, etc. and the HD800 for more sophisticated music such as classical. I maybe the only one who thinks that shrill highs are not pleasant especially for electronic music, but I'm fine with that. The HD800 would be great I assume if it didn't have the peak in the treble region. I haven't played around with EQ, so I might change my opinion, but right now I feel you can get much better than the TH-900 for electronic music.

 

You mistake me. I didn't say TH900 = PRO900. biggrin.gif I said what most people seem to think EDM is. Feel free to look at my profile what phones and amps I have/tried, I know what bass is and I only use neutral gear so it's not a factor. TH900 certainly is the best bassy can of the bunch, but expensive at that and not suitable for my generic use - I like bass, but not when it affects other stuff (makes vocals too warm/bodied to me etc, of course not to the extent of worse cans). It's more open than the other closed phones, but it's still closed sounding. I'm happy that you are willing to keep 3 cans for different purposes, but I have no need for that.

 

I'm no HD800 advocate, all the high-end cans have their strengths and weaknesses. But it's silly to me to bash for the little peak which many people don't even notice (umm didn't purrin complain about a TH900 peak also..). Either you are listening shrill stuff too loud or I have a magic HD800 pair that's not peaky (well atleast one person thinks so wink.gif). Levels matched (ignore bass), TH900 sounded as bright (or as shrill if you will) as HD800 to me in the treble so YMMV. I've always advocated against piercing shrill highs, but that's just not the case here (or then I've really evolved to a ED10 level..).

 

edit: So yes in the end it's all about own preferences. But forget about "concensus" and all that. There isn't one. I just don't like to see simple questions and answers like "I like some EDM", "Get TH900".


Edited by hekeli - 5/19/13 at 11:44am
post #4398 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post

 

You mistake me. I didn't say TH900 = PRO900. biggrin.gif I said what most people seem to think EDM is. Feel free to look at my profile what phones and amps I have/tried, I know what bass is and I only use neutral gear so it's not a factor. TH900 certainly is the best bassy can of the bunch, but expensive at that and not suitable for my generic use - I like bass, but not when it affects other stuff (makes vocals too warm/bodied to me etc, of course not to the extent of worse cans). It's more open than the other closed phones, but it's still closed sounding. I'm happy that you are willing to keep 3 cans for different purposes, but I have no need for that.

 

I'm no HD800 advocate, all the high-end cans have their strengths and weaknesses. But it's silly to me to bash for the little peak which many people don't even notice. Either you are listening shrill stuff too loud or I have a magic HD800 pair that's not peaky (well atleast one person thinks so wink.gif). Levels matched (ignore bass), TH900 sounded as bright (or as shrill if you will) as HD800 to me in the treble so YMMV. I've always advocated against piercing shrill highs, but that's just not the case here (or then I've really evolved to a ED10 level..).

 

edit: So yes in the end it's all about own preferences. But forget about "concensus" and all that. There isn't one. I just don't like to see simple questions and answers like "I like some EDM", "Get TH900".

 

I was talking more about the "shrill/harsh" highs you are hearing from the TH-900. I haven't had that experience with any of my music, even the high treble energy reference tracks I use. Also, I'm certainly not bashing the HD800, I own them and love them for certain genres, but not as an all-arounder. Again I think you are in the minority that don't "notice" the treble spike. I've read many opinions that hear the same thing, and to some it is a turn off from even buying the can because of its bright nature. Now, some experts have sought to remedy the treble problem with the likes of mods. Purrin and Anaxilus hear what I hear, so certainly I'm not alone in my reasoning. Again, I'm not arguing that the HD800 aren't good for EDM, they just aren't suitable for me. Regarding your last statement, there is a consensus, you can read and conclude from this thread. A consensus doesn't have to mean everyone agrees, just the majority do. The price of the TH-900 is becoming more relevant to the market IMO. Pricejapan has them for about 1400$ which is still high, but at this point in the game, value takes a back seat. People that spend more than $1000 on headphones don't rank value higher than SQ. 


Edited by Greed - 5/19/13 at 11:49am
post #4399 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

I was talking more about the "shrill/harsh" highs you are hearing from the TH-900.


Just to clarify, something I never said and already corrected. I'm not sure you understood it, atleast this clause doesn't look like it.

 

But please let's stop arguing about any concensus. It doesn't mean anything to the next newbie coming here asking around whose preferences one has no clue about.

 

edit: And hey, if you want a fun contest, I will try to find as many HD800 comments who don't mind the treble as you try to find dislikes. And they have to be specific to the peak and not to general brightness (again to me, TH900 and HD800 are equally bright when not compensating for bass levels)


Edited by hekeli - 5/19/13 at 12:16pm
post #4400 of 6817

The only consensus is...   There will never be a consensus...biggrin.gif  

post #4401 of 6817

Does anyone know if Fostex plans on any sort of distribution of the 900/600 in North America beyond boutique audio shops (e.g. to Amazon and such)?

 

My impression is no, but seeing as the T50RP exists in such a capacity it's always nice to know...


Edited by 3X0 - 5/19/13 at 5:47pm
post #4402 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

The only consensus is...   There will never be a consensus...biggrin.gif  

Hey, I don't agree with that. tongue.gif

post #4403 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

The only consensus is...   There will never be a consensus...biggrin.gif  

 

Classic Head-Fi. very_evil_smiley.gif

post #4404 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Hey, I don't agree with that. tongue.gif

 

400

post #4405 of 6817

It's hard to get excited about a headphone rated subjectively worse than cans significantly less expensive (HD600/650, referring to David Mahler's chart), even if the sound signature might be more to my liking, what do you think, should the bullet be bitten?

post #4406 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltocliousus View Post

It's hard to get excited about a headphone rated subjectively worse than cans significantly less expensive (HD600/650, referring to David Mahler's chart), even if the sound signature might be more to my liking, what do you think, should the bullet be bitten?


Well, I don't care about charts. If its about the VGA, or CPU for examples, they have benchmarks to determine which one is superior to the other, and everyone agrees that a latest ivy bridge is faster, stronger than a classic Pentium 4. But regards of phones, its about personal preferences.

Hell I can't swallow the HD800, cause I'm kind of a basshead, and almost of my stuff Im hearing everyday is Trance, Melodic Death metal, and sometimes pop/acoustic. And to me, the HD800 doesn't fit well as my current TH900 or LCD2. I would rank the HD800 far far beyond the chart in MY preference if no one minds.

Try the phone you like yourself if you can, or read carefully people's expression with their music preference, you would find something in commons to find out a conclusion.

post #4407 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post


Well, I don't care about charts. If its about the VGA, or CPU for examples, they have benchmarks to determine which one is superior to the other, and everyone agrees that a latest ivy bridge is faster, stronger than a classic Pentium 4. But regards of phones, its about personal preferences.

Hell I can't swallow the HD800, cause I'm kind of a basshead, and almost of my stuff Im hearing everyday is Trance, Melodic Death metal, and sometimes pop/acoustic. And to me, the HD800 doesn't fit well as my current TH900 or LCD2. I would rank the HD800 far far beyond the chart in MY preference if no one minds.

Try the phone you like yourself if you can, or read carefully people's expression with their music preference, you would find something in commons to find out a conclusion.

 

This is fair...

post #4408 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Can anyone recommend any EDM samples I can compare between the two headphones? I think the Hip-Hop sample tests has opened my eyes a little that the TH-900 may not be such a generalist headphone.

 

EDM is like a general synonyms. I'd recommend you some Trance tracks:
1. If It Ain't Broke (Original Mix) - Daniel Kandi & Phillip Alpha
2. Intense - Armin van Buuren

3. Aeon of Revenge - Andrew Rayel


Edited by zhunter - 5/20/13 at 1:17am
post #4409 of 6817

If the HD800 sounds bright the issue is the amp. I tried/heard several amps with them and also found them annoyingly tipped up and thin.

With my nice tube amps they are perfect, not bright, just balanced and natural.

post #4410 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

If the HD800 sounds bright the issue is the amp. I tried/heard several amps with them and also found them annoyingly tipped up and thin.

With my nice tube amps they are perfect, not bright, just balanced and natural.


Not sure about that. If you have to add distortion and such to achieve a desired effect, is the issue really what you're changing?

 

I would say the performance of a transducer/headphone on neutral upstream gear is reflective of the transducer/headphone's general character...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread