Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 281

post #4201 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

Thx for asking! Just love how considerate and helpful fellow headfiers are. No one has yet rejected my pms and always provided with really useful information. I have found numerous headphones all with similar sound signature but different price range.

At the lowest price range, m100, then hd650 then LCD-2 and then the th-900. If you can see the trend, all 4 hps have a slightly Bassy, warm and neutral-slightly bright sound sig and def. no analytical sound! I have stopped my search for a while just reading the forums here am there, for some personal reasons. Looking into CIEMs and amp/dacs because my hps are more less settled. Because CIEMs seem interesting.
As you're aware I have 2 of 4 of the headphones you're referring to. They do have different signatures for listeners' different tastes.

CIEMs are also somewhat different. The only caution I have for you about CIEMs is resale value is poor cos the shell has to be destroyed for the next buyer. And most hybrid CIEMs can't be re-sold altogether as the DD is glued to the shell (do destroying the shell means destroying the DD too & only the BAs are reusable). But if you never sell the CIEM, then this won't be an issue at all.
post #4202 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by zardon View Post
Mine are working beautifully through a SPL Phonitor 2730B and a REGA ISIS VALVE as source.

 

No offense intended, but have you heard your TH900 on any amps other than the Phonitor? The only reason I pose the question is because the Phonitor completely lacks the power output to effectively drive low-impedance headphones, and my previous ownership of the Auditor (same amp as the Phonitor but without all the added features) bore out the results that I expected with low-impedance headphones - none of them sounded good on it, which included the Audio-Technica AD2000, Audeze LCD-2, and Grado HP1000. The only headphone I had that sounded remotely good on the Auditor was the Beyerdynamic T1, which wasn't a surprise, as the amp & headphone specs lined up perfectly.

 

SPL Phonitor specs:

1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms connection
360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms connection

 

TH900 specs:

Impedance: 25 ohm
Sensitivity: 100dB / mW
Maximum Input: 1,800 mW

 

As anyone can see, the Phonitor extremely under-drives the TH900 and I'm honestly not sure how anyone could think the two would sound good together.


Edited by Asr - 5/3/13 at 12:35am
post #4203 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post


As you're aware I have 2 of 4 of the headphones you're referring to. They do have different signatures for listeners' different tastes.

CIEMs are also somewhat different. The only caution I have for you about CIEMs is resale value is poor cos the shell has to be destroyed for the next buyer. And most hybrid CIEMs can't be re-sold altogether as the DD is glued to the shell (do destroying the shell means destroying the DD too & only the BAs are reusable). But if you never sell the CIEM, then this won't be an issue at all.

 

Well, of course they won't be exactly the same signature. I believe you are speaking about the M100 and TH-900. Yes, I think the Th-900 is the most different compared to the rest of the three. 

Basically, the M100 is a closed HD650. (More Bass, Less Soundstage plus all the negatives found on normal closed cans.)

The HD650 is a watered-down LCD-2 (at a cheaper price too, of course.)

 

From my research, the TH-900 is bassier and brighter than the LCD-2 so it is has a slight V-shaped sound compared to the LCD-2. I believe that the LCD-2's soundstage is larger though the TH-900 is really great for a closed cans (One of Fostex's House Sound, if you heard the dxxx series). But however, the LCD-2 plus more bass is what I want hence the TH-900 being on my list. Finally get to properly audition them in two weeks time, can't wait!

post #4204 of 8042
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

At the lowest price range, m100, then hd650 then LCD-2 and then the th-900. If you can see the trend, all 4 hps have a slightly Bassy, warm and neutral-slightly bright sound sig and def. no analytical sound! I have stopped my search for a while just reading the forums here am there, for some personal reasons. Looking into CIEMs and amp/dacs because my hps are more less settled. Because CIEMs seem interesting.

 

Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post
 

Well, of course they won't be exactly the same signature. I believe you are speaking about the M100 and TH-900. Yes, I think the Th-900 is the most different compared to the rest of the three. 

Basically, the M100 is a closed HD650. (More Bass, Less Soundstage plus all the negatives found on normal closed cans.)

The HD650 is a watered-down LCD-2 (at a cheaper price too, of course.)

 

From my research, the TH-900 is bassier and brighter than the LCD-2 so it is has a slight V-shaped sound compared to the LCD-2. I believe that the LCD-2's soundstage is larger though the TH-900 is really great for a closed cans (One of Fostex's House Sound, if you heard the dxxx series). But however, the LCD-2 plus more bass is what I want hence the TH-900 being on my list. Finally get to properly audition them in two weeks time, can't wait!

 

Highlighted is the part where my eye focused on - as mentioned they have different signatures that at least for me, I wouldn't even really try to compare any similarities with them. And generalising the M-100 is just a closed HD-650 really isn't giving either of their headphones any justice (I think Val Kolton would be flabbergasted to hear that ;-)) - it's as generic as saying "they're all the same cos they produce sound".

 

It's good that you've done some due diligence but assuming the approach you've taken hasn't changed in the past 2 months since we last talked, I think it's been mainly (but not exclusively) through 2nd hand information that HF or other forums had provided you. As advised previously I highly recommend trying to coordinate or attend meets where you can try other member's headphones rather than just wait for a store to bring them in (which could take ages). I'm glad you finally can get to audition them for yourself.

 

Sorry if I'm speaking rather strongly here but I kinda feel sad that these headphones get diluted and generalised to just "bassy", "V-shaped", etc. There's so much more that these headphones have to offer in terms of resolution, rendering, texture, decay, etc. Hope you understand where I"m coming from.

post #4205 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

No offense intended, but have you heard your TH900 on any amps other than the Phonitor? The only reason I pose the question is because the Phonitor completely lacks the power output to effectively drive low-impedance headphones, and my previous ownership of the Auditor (same amp as the Phonitor but without all the added features) bore out the results that I expected with low-impedance headphones - none of them sounded good on it, which included the Audio-Technica AD2000, Audeze LCD-2, and Grado HP1000. The only headphone I had that sounded remotely good on the Auditor was the Beyerdynamic T1, which wasn't a surprise, as the amp & headphone specs lined up perfectly.

 

SPL Phonitor specs:

1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms connection
360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms connection

 

TH900 specs:

Impedance: 25 ohm
Sensitivity: 100dB / mW
Maximum Input: 1,800 mW

 

As anyone can see, the Phonitor extremely under-drives the TH900 and I'm honestly not sure how anyone could think the two would sound good together.

why would i be offended? ~everyone has their own views - ive been collecting audio gear for 30 years. Why would it matter to me what you say? I could tell you that some of your posts in the past have been poorly researched or 'wrong', but it is hardly likely to make you question what you hear, right?

 

I have access to around 15 amplifiers right now in the house and I think the phonitor combo sounds great (I have another balanced TH900 which are great with the Woo Audio WA22 as well and some custom tube rolling I made, didnt like the TH900s with the Tung Sol 5998s for some reason, worked better with some lower gain vintage GEC's). Been a few days since ive been listening to it as im back with the Orpheus now.

 

I dont put any value in figures alone to be honest, used to when I was much younger and much less experienced, but it doesnt always translate into what actually sounds good. Of course there are times when it does matter, such as when you try to power something extremely taxing like the high end hifi man headphones rated at sub 85db sensitivity ratings with an amplifier such as the Ray Samuel B52.

 

Worth bearing in mind that the TH900's are extremely sensitive at 100db. Something like the HE6 is rated at 83.5db (and its worth checking out Jude's video review on Youtube of the SPL Phonitor 2730 in which he says this amplifier will drive anything, including the ultra demanding HE6 - if you want a second opinion).

 

I have successfully driven huge floorstanding 300W rated speakers from 15 Watt high grade tube amplifiers, because the speakers are sensitive - rated over 92db. OHM is only part of the story (if you are just into quoting figures and not actually listening to the music to test yourself that is).


Edited by zardon - 5/4/13 at 1:41am
post #4206 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

I would guess he is speaking of the much anticipated Schiit Statement Amp.

Looking forward to that Schiit, have CC in hand.
post #4207 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Looking forward to that Schiit, have CC in hand.

 

Ha ha ha..  Me two.

 

biggrin.gif

post #4208 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Looking forward to that Schiit, have CC in hand.

 

Indeed, I hope it doesn't disappoint. I'm expecting great things, and a heavy competitor to the GS-X MK II.

post #4209 of 8042

Received my TH900 headphones yesterday.  Booyah!

 

So, last evening I listened to The Walkmen's You & Me, and the combination of my EAR HP4, which is a 6SL7 tube (Philips/Mullard) amp, and the TH900 produced an audio experience that can be only described as lush.  In full bloom, but yet articulate with respect to lyrics as only high end headphones will bring you.  Fully textured sound that you immediately recognize you love.  A little on the dark side, but that's also synonymous with lush.  The bottom felt more like pressure waves than bass.  If I can be forgiven a bit of hyperbole, they were not just forgiving of music, but empowering.

 

I am using a front end solid state DAC, the Chord QuteHD, which doesn't incorporate the usual one-bit DAC chip, but instead uses pulse array DAC technology.  See also the TAS May/June issue for a recent discussion on related technology, re. the dCS Vivaldi Digital System subarticle "The dCS Ring DAC".

 

This is my new favorite.  I'll stop now.   


Edited by jacal01 - 5/4/13 at 4:17pm
post #4210 of 8042

Sorry guys probably already been asked but any good portable amplifiers that resonate well with these headphones?

post #4211 of 8042

I could be swayed to a desktop amp but like the idea of portability! hmm...

post #4212 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemangi View Post

I could be swayed to a desktop amp but like the idea of portability! hmm...

If you are looking at desktop amps, I believe there is a list of amps and his impressions about them a page or two back by songmic. You can go and take a look.
post #4213 of 8042

Thanks for that... Possibly a bit out of my price range at the moment but definitley look into it!

 

Any other suggestions?

post #4214 of 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemangi View Post

Thanks for that... Possibly a bit out of my price range at the moment but definitley look into it!

Any other suggestions?

I can't exactly help because my experience is quite low but for others to help you, what exactly is your price range, because it seems like you didn't mention it.
post #4215 of 8042

For a portable up to $500. for a destop i would go to $1000

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread