Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 278

post #4156 of 8017
Because they are electrostatic headphones. I don't need to remember, I have both on hand and amps for each. No one said this hobby was cheap.

So if one had only Stax cans, then from their prospective , they would need a "special" amp to drive their new TH-900s. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by MacedonianHero - 4/30/13 at 8:56pm
post #4157 of 8017

Hmm.... Talking about amps, doesn't seem to have a amp recommendations thread for the TH-900. Okay, there's one but it is relatively dead. However, anyone who is thinking about getting one of these, more or less know what to do with it already, but a guide/list won't hurt. I find songmic's list pretty cool.

post #4158 of 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Very good write up.  That's a lot of amps being compared with 1 headphone.  Looks like you did your homework.  

 

When you said this headphone sounds really good out an ipod kinda is what I'm talking about.  I could never say that about the HD800, LCD-3, HE-6, HD650, T1 and a few others.  Yes, I'm aware these are open headphones, but my point is this is a headphone that's not as picky as some others.  

 

The fact is, it's not hard to drive and it has a very low celling - meaning will not scale high at all IMO, so lower powered amps may be the best fit for it.  However, you are correct the headphone needs quality amps to sound it's best.  In my experience with this headphone, the amp really needs to take the bass by the balls and control it as best as possible.  I've heard it sound muddy on some amps that wasn't up to this task.  Also, the headphone is colored and forgiving when compared to other more neutral and revealing headphones, this is another reason why it will sound pretty good out of an ipod.  

 

Anyway, very good comparisons.

 

Oh oo ouch.. that's really painful.


Edited by Audiowood - 4/30/13 at 9:46pm
post #4159 of 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

Hmm.... Talking about amps, doesn't seem to have a amp recommendations thread for the TH-900. Okay, there's one but it is relatively dead. However, anyone who is thinking about getting one of these, more or less know what to do with it already, but a guide/list won't hurt. I find songmic's list pretty cool.
There's nothing dead about the ZDSE!!??
post #4160 of 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

There's nothing dead about the ZDSE!!??

Talking about the th-900 amp recommendations thread. U mean its alive?
post #4161 of 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

I would say that the SR-009s are better than the TH-900s for everything I throw at them. (FWIW, my TH-900 rig is pretty good and I love them, but they are not in the same league). For closed headphones, I haven't found any better. 

I would almost completely agree with you. Except for pop/rock music.

 

This is more a problem with recording standards and quality, rather than the headphones themselves. The Stax009 can be brutally analytical of less than stellar recordings and I have found the TH900 much more 'enjoyable' for mainstream material. The added 'weight' from the TH900 in the lower frequencies, when controlled carefully by good amplification is much more effective for rock music specifically.

 

Again, im not saying you are wrong, You clearly have very acute hearing reading your posts over the years and you have contributed immensely to these forums, but I don't think the Stax009 are an ideal 'first choice' headphone for some of the genres I do enjoy.


Edited by zardon - 5/1/13 at 5:29am
post #4162 of 8017

Zardon, I expect you  rate the Stax's above the Fostex's.

But what qualities do you think the Fostex might reveal ( if any) over the Stax's with regards Classical music only,

Piano in particular.) thanks Philip.

post #4163 of 8017

Sorry to change the topic on Phil for awhile, but I just picked up Mr. Sneis' Zana Deux (orig). It's not modified for my local country's voltage yet (120V -> 100V) nor the output impedance (12 ohm -> 3 ohm), but it's already sounding really nice, detailed, deeper imaging, larger soundstage, and a more rich & blossoming vocals compared to the HP-A8, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, & DX100

 

post #4164 of 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Sorry to change the topic on Phil for awhile, but I just picked up Mr. Sneis' Zana Deux (orig). It's not modified for my local country's voltage yet (120V -> 100V) nor the output impedance (12 ohm -> 3 ohm), but it's already sounding really nice, detailed, deeper imaging, larger soundstage, and a more rich & blossoming vocals compared to the HP-A8, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, & DX100

 

 

That looks great, I haven't yet heard the ZDSE with the TH-900, but reading songmic's posts I'm very eager to hear your findings. I might have to rethink a purchase of one in the future. 

post #4165 of 8017
SongmicAnakchan (corrected!), almost PM'd Mr. Sneis on his ZDSE but decided to go in a different direction (ie. solid state) with the TH900's. will be looking forward to your detailed impressions on how they pair up after the initial enthusiasm has worn off. wink.gif

(I didn't have my coffee yet... tongue.gif)
Edited by twizzleraddict - 5/1/13 at 9:36am
post #4166 of 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Sorry to change the topic on Phil for awhile, but I just picked up Mr. Sneis' Zana Deux (orig). It's not modified for my local country's voltage yet (120V -> 100V) nor the output impedance (12 ohm -> 3 ohm), but it's already sounding really nice, detailed, deeper imaging, larger soundstage, and a more rich & blossoming vocals compared to the HP-A8, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, & DX100

 

 

Looking good! You must feel really happy, because i'm so envious it's not allowed!

post #4167 of 8017

Yep, the most problematic thing about the TH900 is the bass, which can be loose if not handled well by the amp. But if the amp does this right, they are wonderful phones. They actually do very well with modest amps. They are amazing on my Headroom Max from 1999. I think they are not the last word in detail, but they are very right and musical.

They are a kind of a completely different approach than Stax 009s. The Staxes are ruthlessly revealing, especially in the highs, from the recording and on up through the 

input chain, but the TH900s seem to make the best of everything (with the exception of the bass, as noted).

They are sort of a colored headphone, but in a very musical, pleasing way.


Edited by rgs9200m - 5/1/13 at 9:00am
post #4168 of 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzleraddict View Post

Songmic, almost PM'd Mr. Sneis on his ZDSE but decided to go in a different direction (ie. solid state) with the TH900's. will be looking forward to your detailed impressions on how they pair up after the initial enthusiasm has worn off. wink.gif

I'm pretty sure Songmic HAS a ZDSE!

post #4169 of 8017
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzleraddict View Post

Songmic, almost PM'd Mr. Sneis on his ZDSE but decided to go in a different direction (ie. solid state) with the TH900's. will be looking forward to your detailed impressions on how they pair up after the initial enthusiasm has worn offwink.gif
 

Originally Posted by telecaster View Post
 

I'm pretty sure Songmic HAS a ZDSE!

 

And that's why I haven't responded to Greed yet. I'm seriously having a hard time to put this headphone down at the moment & I need to wake up early to work tomorrow.

 

telecaster is correct that songmic has the ZDSE. I talked to him (MF, & Craig) offline prior to purchasing Mr. Sneis' ZD. I still need to open up the PSU, take a pix, and ask Craig what wire to snip and where to solder to (to go to 100V).

post #4170 of 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecaster View Post

I'm pretty sure Songmic HAS a ZDSE!

I'm pretty sure twizzleraddict was talking about himself there's a comma there see biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Songmic, almost

joke aside I thought you went with the l2 did you end up with the dsha twizzleraddict?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread