Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 276

post #4126 of 7586
While an improvement upstream can make them better, my TH900s and 600s sound great directly out of my iPhone. In fact, that's my portable rig, an iP4S>V-Moda Vamp>TH600. Sounds drop-dead incredible and for the very first time since I started this hobby, I have no desire to upgrade at all. eek.gif
post #4127 of 7586

First and foremost, I would like to thank all who have replied to my questions, and also like to apologise to those whom I may have offended. I would just like to clarify some things, as

you guys may have misunderstood me. Firstly, I am truly sorry to those who were confused and irritated by me going from thread to thread asking the same questions over and over again.

 

Well, this is my situation. I have started my search in 2 months and after auditioning much cans, I have found my standard of headphones which was the HD650. (Meaning any headphone that I might buy should have the same or higher SQ than the HD650). But the problem with the HD650 is its bass. I am a purist you might say that dislike EQ and bassboost functions and stuff like that. I felt that the HD650 just did not have the low-end oomph I'm seeking for. And NO! I'm not a basshead just seeking the ultimate bass....

 

My music collection is classical, acapella, electronic, jazz and also pop. My preferred sound signature is slightly elevated bass with neutral brightness (preferably dark). I like my mids lush but at the same time articulate and also a decent soundstage. Thus, you might have already guess... I really like the HD650 and the LCD-2s. But the HD650's bass didn't do it for me and the LCD-2s is really heavy and more accentuation in the bass would be great! That led me to think about the Denon D7000, but after hearing that it have harsh highs, and being unable to stand harshness in the highs,I let it go. And of course when you think about the D7ks, you would definitely think about its successor (Or somewhat successor), the TH-900s that led me here.

 

I would be able to try the TH-900s soon but I have no idea when.... (To the Singaporeans: Jaben has sent it out to Indonesia, I think.)

I personally felt that this forum was like a place to ask questions and of course I would not get anywhere till I finally get to audition them

myself but I posted the previous posts because of plain excitement and also reading pleasure so I would be able to read various headfiers

opinions. (Sorry if you feel you are being used... Therefore those who have saw me posting from a few weeks back till now.. My ideal headphone

would most likely be LCD-2+Slightly More Bass - Physical Weight.

 

I heard a few suggest the LCD-3s but is it possible that they were too lush, because I felt that they do not *seem* to be as articulate as the LCD-2 thus I concluded it does not warrant the price tag. However, I would try it once more to confirm my previous findings.

 

And yes I am clear about dacs and amps but the salesperson got me utterly confused when he said that the iPhone 4S is analogue while the other apple products are digital. Like isn't all apple products analogue from headphone out? I was truly confused... and possibly still now.I know that the CLAS is able to extract the music files digitally and use a supposedly better dac in the CLAS to convert the files from D to A.

 

Next, I personally feel that there is not a problem comparing open to closed cans and till now I still don't understand why people are against doing this? Like for example, lets assume bass is sweetness level. I can say Apple X is sweeter than Orange Q. If you understand what I mean. Like yes, they are two different types of headphones but still you can compare it in quantity. Because I do believe quality is subjective so that is another story.

 

Like for example, The TH-900 has more bass than HD800 (Agree Right?), the HD800 has a larger soundstage than the TH-900 (Agree?) The HD800 is brighter than the TH-900 (Right?)

If you agree to my above examples, I have just proved that you can compare open and closed cans.

 

Lastly, why I kept saying LCD-2 + Lyr+ Bitfrost vs TH-900 + Ipod because I can't compare them side by side and everyone knows going by memory is not the way to go. I was actually just hoping for somebody to have the lcd-2 setup and the th-900 which I thought should be very likely a guy would have them.

 

And you can say that I'm trying to get the most bang for buck but I am more like trying to see if the TH-900 is to my preferred sound signature.

 

Nevertheless, a huge thanks to anybody that has helped me in one way or another and sorry to those whom I have offended.

Edit: YESS!!! I'm able to audition the th-900, it's back in the local store.
Edited by myap2328 - 4/30/13 at 1:25am
post #4128 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

While an improvement upstream can make them better, my TH900s and 600s sound great directly out of my iPhone. In fact, that's my portable rig, an iP4S>V-Moda Vamp>TH600. Sounds drop-dead incredible and for the very first time since I started this hobby, I have no desire to upgrade at all. eek.gif
You take your TH-600 _out_ !?! Where do you use it? It's not very isolating.
post #4129 of 7586

Atleast I'm happy to compare HD800 and TH900.. latter is definitely fun and punchy (sometimes too much) and has it's merits, but frankly HD800 just trumps them for my all purpose usage (movies/realiser, techno, classical, anything). The lack of bass and brightness are usually quite exaggerated, silly me for not trying them earlier because of that. Could have lived happily with my LCD-3's also, but moved on for slight lack of comfort.

 

So yeah it was fun having TH900s, but I'd only recommend them for their special purposes (closed, punchy). If someone from EU is looking ones for fair price, now available..

post #4130 of 7586

Fascinating, I wouldn't class the Sennheiser HD800's even close to the TH900's. Then again ive never really enjoyed the HD800's, even with some ultra high end amplifiers. The soundstage is just too exaggerated for my ears.

 

Thats why this forum is so interesting, everyone has a different view on these things!


Edited by zardon - 4/30/13 at 4:08am
post #4131 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by zardon View Post

Fascinating, I wouldn't class the Sennheiser HD800's even close to the TH900's. Then again ive never really enjoyed the HD800's, even with some ultra high end amplifiers. The soundstage is just too exaggerated for my ears.

 

Thats why this forum is so interesting, everyone has a different view on these things!

 

A few people have made similar comments about the HD-800s. The TH-900s (or TH-600s) are a fairly safe bet as far as headphones go. They work well out of most amps or devices (OTL tube amps excepted), they have an entertaining sound and a fair bit of detail. Even if someone turns out to be too bass-sensitive for them, plenty of people will happy buy them from you. They don't have quite the finesse and resolution of the LCD-3s or top 'stats but you likewise need a good source and amp to get that anyway.

post #4132 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post

Atleast I'm happy to compare HD800 and TH900.. latter is definitely fun and punchy (sometimes too much) and has it's merits, but frankly HD800 just trumps them for my all purpose usage (movies/realiser, techno, classical, anything). The lack of bass and brightness are usually quite exaggerated, silly me for not trying them earlier because of that. Could have lived happily with my LCD-3's also, but moved on for slight lack of comfort.

So yeah it was fun having TH900s, but I'd only recommend them for their special purposes (closed, punchy). If someone from EU is looking ones for fair price, now available..

TH900s? Lack of bass compared to the HD800s? Different strokes for different folks, I guess. blink.gif
post #4133 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by zardon View Post

Fascinating, I wouldn't class the Sennheiser HD800's even close to the TH900's. Then again ive never really enjoyed the HD800's, even with some ultra high end amplifiers. The soundstage is just too exaggerated for my ears.

 

Thats why this forum is so interesting, everyone has a different view on these things!


My view is that HD800 soundstage is probably the least I should accept from headphones and find nothing unnatural or exaggerated about it. It's just so effortless listening to all individual things going on in the music (or movies etc). Perhaps owning Realiser is also a good indicator of my needs. biggrin.gif HD800 are perhaps the first phones that I quite happily listen without Realiser too.

 

I can't remember LCD-3 details anymore, it would be interesting to compare now.. but having accustomed to HD800, TH900 certainly sounds cramped and bloated in the bass (ok exaggerating a bit, but the "shock" is there, would need dedicated headtime to adjust back again).

 

Tastes evolve and change.. and I've yet to hear any Staxes.

post #4134 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


TH900s? Lack of bass compared to the HD800s? Different strokes for different folks, I guess. blink.gif


I meant the general opinion of HD800 lacking bass, sorry for not being clear..

post #4135 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

 They work well out of most amps or devices (OTL tube amps excepted)

 

You're right, they don't work well with most OTL amps due to insufficient damping factor. But one exception is the Eddie Current ZDSE, which is OTL but has a very low output impedance of 3 ohms. In fact, many - myself included - consider this to be the best amp with the TH900 synergistically.

post #4136 of 7586
helkeil I have to agree that the HD800 has very nice soundstage - I really liked it in balanced configuration. However for me the treble felt just nasty on some recordings so much so I could not buy them.

I have over time really just found the TH900 so enjoyable with very few draw backs. I think what Fostex have achieved with this h/p is really remarkable - true evolution.


I'm surprised a great h/p company like Sennheiser hasn't addressed the sibilance issue with an HD800 MK II or dare I say it an HD900.

Anyway we all have our preferences as magick man stated.

Zardon thanks for sharing your impressions TH900 & R-10 very interesting comments. I always wanted to hear the R-10. Always fascinating to hear information about such ledgendry h/p

Myap2328 good luck with your h/p hunting hope you find what your looking for.
post #4137 of 7586
@mrtim6 Thx.
post #4138 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtim6 View Post

However for me the treble felt just nasty on some recordings so much so I could not buy them.

 

I don't know.. to me any track that sounds nasty on HD800 has the same character on TH900s.. piercing s will pierce etc. Could be also that people tend to play louder with HD800.

 

Then again I have some tinnitus so it might be masking things, but I certainly don't find the HD800 treble annoying..

post #4139 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

 

You're right, they don't work well with most OTL amps due to insufficient damping factor. But one exception is the Eddie Current ZDSE, which is OTL but has a very low output impedance of 3 ohms. In fact, many - myself included - consider this to be the best amp with the TH900 synergistically.

 

It maybe the best amp "You've heard."  It also may not be the "best amp" synergistically.  We've all heard different amps that sound good with them.  I have not heard the ZD, however, I've heard many tube amps with the TH900.  At this point the best amps I've heard with the TH900 with is well,  many.  sounds really good on my balanced M^3, also sounds really good on the GS-X mkII on low/medium gain.  

 

Lets face it.  It's not hard to get these headphones to sound good.   I'm just saying - it's not ZD or bust with the TH-900s..

post #4140 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

It maybe the best amp "You've heard."  It also may not be the "best amp" synergistically.  We've all heard different amps that sound good with them.  I have not heard the ZD, however, I've heard many tube amps with the TH900.  At this point the best amps I've heard with the TH900 with is well,  many.  sounds really good on my balanced M^3, also sounds really good on the GS-X mkII on low/medium gain.  

 

Lets face it.  It's not hard to get these headphones to sound good.   I'm just saying - it's not ZD or bust with the TH-900s..

 

You make it sound like he's in the wrong! I think he is just stating his opinion, don't you think you are a little harsh on songmic?

 

[Edited]

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread