Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 273

post #4081 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post


Oh, I didn't know that.

I own two pairs of D7k and used Grace Design m903 when comparing them – it has two headphone outputs so I was able to swap between them and those were the effects I heard. Might be my ears sitting upside down though, lol. The pads went off as the bass became too prominent.

Here are a couple of shots from the session wink.gif

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75


CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75


CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

Since you have experience with the older Denon model (built by Fostex and appearing to be the same basic chassis used as the TH series), how close is the sound to the TH900 (and I guess by extension the 600)? I have the D2000 w/ MarkL mods and looking at the TH900 it looks identical to mine other than wood cups.
post #4082 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Since you have experience with the older Denon model (built by Fostex and appearing to be the same basic chassis used as the TH series), how close is the sound to the TH900 (and I guess by extension the 600)? I have the D2000 w/ MarkL mods and looking at the TH900 it looks identical to mine other than wood cups.

 

There are many TH900/D7000 comparisons in this thread, just use the search function. Also, to answer your question regarding the construction, yes it is basically the same chassis as the Denon AH-D series of headphones. Materials are different, damping, drivers, and tuning are different. You would hear increase of SQ across the board coming from your D2000 w/Mark L mods, by quite a significant amount. When I owned the D7000, I thought it was light-years better than the D2000, and again I believe the TH-900 is not a subtle upgrade over the D7000, but a significant one. 


Edited by Greed - 4/28/13 at 9:43am
post #4083 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

There are many TH900/D7000 comparisons in this thread, just use the search function. Also, to answer your question regarding the construction, yes it is basically the same chassis as the Denon AH-D series of headphones. Materials are different, damping, drivers, and tuning are different. You would hear increase of SQ across the board coming from your D2000 w/Mark L mods, by quite a significant amount. When I owned the D7000, I thought it was light-years better than the D2000, and again I believe the TH-900 is not a subtle upgrade over the D7000, but a major one. 

 

Major?  eek.gif

post #4084 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Major?  eek.gif

 

Technically, I'd call it major. The overall presentation is basically the same, I agree there. But I enjoyed the better refinement, detail, and increased soundstage. The bass was probably the most noticeable upgrade. I feel like the D7000's bass sometimes over does it for some tracks to the point of sounding bloated. The one thing I love the most about the TH-900 is that they corrected that flaw. The bass never comes when it is not called for. I also enjoy the more linear bass and faster decay. The D7000's just has too much of a mid-bass hump for me, especially for electronica, EDM, dubstep, and trap. Comfort wise and for a real bass-head, the D7000 becomes more appealing I will say that. Of coarse, YMMV.  


Edited by Greed - 4/28/13 at 9:41am
post #4085 of 7947
An increase In 3dB in sound Pressure equals double the sound pressure. It is a logarithmic fonction so yes the th900 are really More efficient that the Audeze /Hifiman.
post #4086 of 7947

Don't disagree there.  However, very few headphones are major upgrades SQ wise when prices get up to the 1K mark.  They are differences yes.  I would say a more than subtle difference, but major is a little on the hyperbole side of things.  IMOwink_face.gif

post #4087 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Since you have experience with the older Denon model (built by Fostex and appearing to be the same basic chassis used as the TH series), how close is the sound to the TH900 (and I guess by extension the 600)? I have the D2000 w/ MarkL mods and looking at the TH900 it looks identical to mine other than wood cups.

 

As Mr Greed is laying out their chassis is identical. The differences between the models in the old lineup were different drivers, better cables and wooden cups on the higher end models compared to D2k. Tyll @ Innerfidelity argued that as time went by the models converged in terms of performance. I have no idea if there is merit to that statement as both my pairs are the latest revision. However, I did own D2k at one point and it did perform exceptionally well comparatively considering its price tag.

 

Unfortunately, I have not yet received TH900, but will in the coming week. I'll be doing A/B comparisons of D7k and TH900 to see if the latter is really worth their $2k price tag. Earlier we were able to get D7k for as low as 600 USD (but retail was $1k). :) I know "worth" is a matter of subjectivity and that we have decreasing marginal utility at this level, but the whole hobby is rooted in subjective opinion more or less, so I do think it is fair to judge it as I see fit.

 

Edit: Oh, and I will also play with an equalizer to see if I can make them close to identical, LOL


Edited by Norway - 4/28/13 at 9:49am
post #4088 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Don't disagree there.  However, very few headphones are major upgrades SQ wise when prices get up to the 1K mark.  They are differences yes.  I would say a more than subtle difference, but major is a little on the hyperbole side of things.  IMOwink_face.gif

 

True, maybe I should have used a better word, such as significant? *shrug*

post #4089 of 7947

I at one time had 2 D7000s (1 recabled) and now have TH900s and, while physically similar, hear them as 2 completely different sonic beasts.

In fact, I don't think the TH900 sounds much like any other phone. (Not that it's overall superior to the the other flagships, but certainly in the same league,

with some aspects ahead of the others. But the D7000 does not compare to these as I hear things, and that's why I sold them. Happily, the D7Ks sell quickly.)

post #4090 of 7947
Subscribed for sure. How they are significantly better than the D7000 is a real eye catcher of a claim.

They must be pretty amazing but all I hear about them is they ARE just that.

Hope to audition them some day. Just can't see paying $1700 more than I did for my D2K or $1750 more than my D600 which I am thinking is better than the D2K.

Sounds like TH900 are end game phones for a basshead like me.
Edited by Oregonian - 4/28/13 at 10:26am
post #4091 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

I at one time had 2 D7000s (1 recabled) and now have TH900s and, while physically similar, hear them as 2 completely different sonic beasts.

In fact, I don't think the TH900 sounds much like any other phone. (Not that it's overall superior to the the other flagships, but certainly in the same league,

with some aspects ahead of the others. But the D7000 does not compare to these as I hear things, and that's why I sold them. Happily, the D7Ks sell quickly.)

This is very exciting, given that I enjoy D7k a lot! :D Thanks for sharing.

post #4092 of 7947
Greed, best not to "guess"... Apologies for a posting error... Posted prior to seeing the next page of answers.

I value and appreciate your and other responses.

Thank you
post #4093 of 7947
May I ask what is like the bare minimum you guys would use to power the th-900? Modi and magni? O2 and Odac? Or any other suggestions.
post #4094 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

May I ask what is like the bare minimum you guys would use to power the th-900? Modi and magni? O2 and Odac? Or any other suggestions.

 

TH-900 is very efficient. Any Android, Apple, etc device should power it sufficiently. When I'm lazy, sometimes I'll grab my iphone and the TH-900. Doesn't sound as good as my home rig, or my portable rigs, but it is good enough and still better than almost anything I've heard as far as full-sized headphones go.

post #4095 of 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

I happen to own the LCD-3s and think they are the better headphone. But I can't comment on EDM as I don't listen to it, just rock, metal, jazz and classical and with those genres; however I do prefer the LCD-3s. That said, the TH-900s aren't too far back and are the best closed headphones I've heard and find them very satisfying.

 

This is a great statement with a nugget buried within it.

 

The TH900s really do excel at electronic music (ie EDM). They don't do intimate vocals as well as some other cans (namely Stax comes to mind since I just listened to a bunch of old classic Lambdas today). They do rock and metal pretty decently (I was on a Megadeth, Radiohead and Alan Parsons Project kick the other day) but I also think there is room for improvement here. (Note: The APP "Eye in the Sky" sounds absolutely phenomenal on the TH900s for me. L3000.gif)

 

But definitely think other headphones are more suited to jazz and classical than the TH900s. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread