Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 253

post #3781 of 7816

I hate to impose, but can anyone record the level of leakage from let's say 10 feet away while listening at moderate volume to rock music?  Perhaps place an iPhone 10 feet away and use its recording app?

 

Or at least could someone tell me whether or not a 10-feet distance is far enough to not disturb others in a 1) quiet room, or 2) room with tv on?


Edited by givemevinyl - 3/25/13 at 12:30am
post #3782 of 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemevinyl View Post

I hate to impose, but can anyone record the level of leakage from let's say 10 feet away while listening at moderate volume to rock music?  Perhaps place an iPhone 10 feet away and use its recording app?

 

Or at least could someone tell me whether or not a 10-feet distance is far enough to not disturb others in a 1) quiet room, or 2) room with tv on?


I tried recording for fun, but frankly it's impossible to have any conclusions from it so I won't even share. Real life sounds much different.

 

I'd say you can listen 70-75dB(C) (measured with radioshack) without bothering anyone much in a quiet room. It's pretty subjective, but they don't leak that much IMO..

 

Just look at some measurements. My Aurvanas are actually pretty comparable. You can still hear some guitar riffs etc pretty far since attenuation starts only after 1khz (compared to really closed ones like DT770 @ 200hz..)

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/CreativeAurvana.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf

post #3783 of 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

 

are you willing to chop up a brand new pair of $2000 headphones to balanced termination?

 

I ambiggrin.gif

post #3784 of 7816

Just tell your wife you now don't need to put 7-feet-tall  $15,000 tower speakers with firehose-like speaker cables in the living room.

post #3785 of 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

are you willing to chop up a brand new pair of $2000 headphones to balanced termination?

I did, but I'm insane, so...
post #3786 of 7816

There is a list of amps that you can and can't use on the D7000/TH-900 here, but it's still incomplete. That is why I'm asking around about what amp + DAC combos work well with the TH-900. Also I heard some AIO work with the TH-900. As for the DAC, I was thinking of going with the Matrix X-Sabre. Still need an amp though.

post #3787 of 7816

Do you have a budget.  Or was this already asked?

post #3788 of 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Do you have a budget.  Or was this already asked?

Originally it was 2k, but now I decided to go up to 3k (without the headphones into the equation). So I just need an amp and DAC.

post #3789 of 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post

Originally it was 2k, but now I decided to go up to 3k (without the headphones into the equation). So I just need an amp and DAC.


Have you decided SS, Tube, or Hybrid? What other headphones are you planning to buy in the future, or have now?

post #3790 of 7816

I just spoke with Jayme over at The HeadRoom and they are in stock and shipping out today! Woot! tongue_smile.gif

post #3791 of 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post


Have you decided SS, Tube, or Hybrid? What other headphones are you planning to buy in the future, or have now?

Solid state or hybrid for me. Only tube amps I see that work with TH-900 well are Woo Audio WA6-SE and Eddie Current Zana Deluxe SE. So I'm looking for headphone amps that are compatible with the TH-900. My current headphone is the Sennheiser PC 350 and planning to get Fostex TH-900 soon. In the future, Sennheiser HD 800.

post #3792 of 7816

The Matrix X-Sabre looks like a great dac, and I'm really impressed with Matrix after hearing some of the products they have to offer. If you don't want to go tube, I would consider:

 

Burson Soloist

Bryston BHA-1

Used HeadAmp GS-X

Used Cavalli Liquid Fire

 

There maybe others that I'm forgetting, but these are said to be very good with both the TH-900 and HD 800. I've heard all of them but the BHA-1, and I concur with the previous statements.


Edited by Greed - 3/25/13 at 4:51pm
post #3793 of 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

The Matrix X-Sabre looks like a great dac, and I'm really impressed with Matrix after hearing some of the products they have to offer. If you don't want to go tube, I would consider:

 

Burson Soloist

Bryston BHA-1

Used HeadAmp GS-X

Used Cavalli Liquid Fire

 

There maybe others that I'm forgetting, but these are said to be very good with both the TH-900 and HD 800. I've heard all of them but the BHA-1, and I concur with the previous statements.

A few people show me the Burson Soloist, but the last 3 pick my interest in those headphone amps. preproman has the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and said it is a great amp. Never heard of Cavalli, but checking out the website they have only the Liquid Glass and Liquid Lightning MKII. There was suppose to be the Liquid Fire MKII this Spring, but it has been delayed. I'm still open to suggestions for headphone amps, even tube amps even though there aren't that many to suit the TH-900.

post #3794 of 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post

A few people show me the Burson Soloist, but the last 3 pick my interest in those headphone amps. preproman has the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and said it is a great amp. Never heard of Cavalli, but checking out the website they have only the Liquid Glass and Liquid Lightning MKII. There was suppose to be the Liquid Fire MKII this Spring, but it has been delayed. I'm still open to suggestions for headphone amps, even tube amps even though there aren't that many to suit the TH-900.


Only Tube amp that I have heard that is good with the TH-900 is the ZDSE. A few others come to mind, DNA Stratus and the new Decware Taboo.

post #3795 of 7816

If you're in the market for a amp like right now.  I would cross the GS-X mk2 off your list.   The next run isn't until 6 months down the road - if you're really lucky..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread