Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 251

post #3751 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokendog View Post


Yeah, but what makes it magical is the lack of distortion on that bass.  That is something few headphones master.  It's the TH-900s magic trick. 

 

I await your impressions. :)

The more I read about them the more I'm thinking they are going to be exactly what I've been looking for. The DJ's are SO close... I just need a little more detail and I'll be happy. 

 

I finally got to see a good detailed photo of the TH-900s that show off their finish... and... wow. They are absolutely stunning! By far the fanciest rig I've ever had. Not that I care about looks, but wow. If it's going to cost a million bucks it may as well look like a million bucks too. tongue.gif


Edited by bareyb - 3/23/13 at 7:40pm
post #3752 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

I almost bought the Conductor myself! It was high on my list along with the Benchmark DAC1 and CEntrance DACmini. The available remote control and talking with the owner is what finally pushed me over to the Grace.

Then it must have been a great decision to get the Grace M903 and not regret it with the owner talking about his creations. I'm still searching for either separate units or AIO to pair with the TH900. HeadRoom finally got the Fostex TH900 to sell on their website.

post #3753 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post

Then it must have been a great decision to get the Grace M903 and not regret it with the owner talking about his creations. I'm still searching for either separate units or AIO to pair with the TH900. HeadRoom finally got the Fostex TH900 to sell on their website.

I must have gotten one of their first pairs then! I was glad to be able to give them the sale since they support the site and all. 

post #3754 of 6807

Listening to the GS-X mk2 with the TH-900s now.  This is one of the better combos I've heard to date.  

post #3755 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Listening to the GS-X mk2 with the TH-900s now.  This is one of the better combos I've heard to date.  

Have you grown to like the TH900 more than the D7000 yet? I read a few of your comments a week or so ago defending the D7000, which I tend to agree with. I would still take the TH900 any day of the week tho. 

 

I wish the GS-X didn't have a 2 year wait time. It just seems like its the best amp for any flagship out there. A little out of my budget too. 

post #3756 of 6807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jronan2 View Post

 

I wish the GS-X didn't have a 2 year wait time. It just seems like its the best amp for any flagship out there. A little out of my budget too. 

 

I thought it was a 12 week wait time according to their site, 1/4 installment payable up front.

 

http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm

post #3757 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronan2 View Post

Have you grown to like the TH900 more than the D7000 yet? I read a few of your comments a week or so ago defending the D7000, which I tend to agree with. I would still take the TH900 any day of the week tho. 

 

I wish the GS-X didn't have a 2 year wait time. It just seems like its the best amp for any flagship out there. A little out of my budget too. 

2 year waiting time for the GS-X to be completed? Dang that's way too long when there are other available headphone amps out there. Then what would be the best DAC then? At least I can invest in the TH900, but need to look into an amp and DAC to pair them with the TH900.

post #3758 of 6807

I was kidding about 2 year part, I didn't think you guys would take me seriously lol.  I know a bunch of people that have waited a lot longer than 12 weeks. But it seems worth the wait. Also hurts that the price went up about $500 from the last batch. I'm not hatin' just at $2495 it seemed more doable, now $3k its unrealistic for me. But thats what happens when you wait. 

post #3759 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Listening to the GS-X mk2 with the TH-900s now.  This is one of the better combos I've heard to date.  

 

I heard that the GS-X MK2 has several improvements over the MK1. Do you know what are some of the sonic improvements?

Also, has the looks changed too from MK1? If so, may I please see a picture of the current MK2?

post #3760 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

 

I heard that the GS-X MK2 has several improvements over the MK1. Do you know what are some of the sonic improvements?

Also, has the looks changed too from MK1? If so, may I please see a picture of the current MK2?

 

Sonically "wire with gain" is still "wire with gain". The MK2 has a balanced 4 pin output (something I'd really like), the newer Dynalo+ modules, and a newer power transformer to handle more power from the newer modules should one want to drive the HE-6s (but been there done that...not going back). Upgrading to the Dynalo+ modules was a nice improvement with more of a biasing into Class A and an improvement in dynamics and authority, but the "wire with gain" nature of the amp is still there. However the gain settings on the MKII seem a bit much with a high gain of 15. I love the standard 1, 5 and 8 on my GS-X. The unity gain is fantastic for IEMs. As well, the newer transformer now makes the new GS-X two separate units un-stackable due to hum.

 

There's plenty of photos of both on the GS-X thread. 

post #3761 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronan2 View Post

Have you grown to like the TH900 more than the D7000 yet? I read a few of your comments a week or so ago defending the D7000, which I tend to agree with. I would still take the TH900 any day of the week tho. 

 

I wish the GS-X didn't have a 2 year wait time. It just seems like its the best amp for any flagship out there. A little out of my budget too. 

The only headphone that was able to take the crown away from my D7000s was the TH900s.. Its not that there werent headphones out there that sounded more detailed with better separation and layering, but the Denons just sounded excellent and were incredibly comfortable (calling you out HE500/LCD2) of course then came the TH900s with even better audio and the same comfort - really a no brainer but I will always hold a special place for the D7000s.

post #3762 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronan2 View Post

Have you grown to like the TH900 more than the D7000 yet? I read a few of your comments a week or so ago defending the D7000, which I tend to agree with. I would still take the TH900 any day of the week tho. 

 

I wish the GS-X didn't have a 2 year wait time. It just seems like its the best amp for any flagship out there. A little out of my budget too. 

 

 

Ha ha ha  I like both for what each one does.  The D7000 is still a really good headphone at the price point today.  Which should be around $700 I guess.  The D7000 could never compete with the big boys in the technicalities department.   However, the TH-900 does.  Bot are very enjoyable to listen to.  While I'll still listen to my Rap music with the D7000 I'll listen to all other music with the TH-900.  Yes the TH-900 can do rap music very good as well.

 

Here's a picture of the GS-X mk2.

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #3763 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Ha ha ha  I like both for what each one does.  The D7000 is still a really good headphone at the price point today.  Which should be around $700 I guess.  The D7000 could never compete with the big boys in the technicalities department.   However, the TH-900 does.  Bot are very enjoyable to listen to.  While I'll still listen to my Rap music with the D7000 I'll listen to all other music with the TH-900.  Yes the TH-900 can do rap music very good as well.

 

Here's a picture of the GS-X mk2.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I could see why the GS-X mk2 is expensive. It looks like 2 separate units, but one houses the amp while the other is the power supply. Is the Audio-gd the DAC then? Still looking for a great headphone amp and DAC to pair with the TH900. Any suggestions are welcome.

post #3764 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post

I could see why the GS-X mk2 is expensive. It looks like 2 separate units, but one houses the amp while the other is the power supply. Is the Audio-gd the DAC then? Still looking for a great headphone amp and DAC to pair with the TH900. Any suggestions are welcome.

 

 

Yes it is.  The Audio-gd Master 7

post #3765 of 6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Yes it is.  The Audio-gd Master 7

How much did that unit cost? I looked on their website and it looks like I have to get a quote on its current price. It looks really sleek though. I'm still looking for a headphone amp and DAC though, but I don't have the kind of disposable income like you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread