Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 235

post #3511 of 7815
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post


Prydz + BT sound amazing with the TH900. Glad that you are enjoying them, through time you'll be even more impressed after noticing how well they work with so many different genres.

+1 smile_phones.gif

post #3512 of 7815

I am pretty surprised that some are comparing the LCD-3 and TH-900 - and find them quite similar. To may ears they are very, very different (even from various amps and DACs). I have for some (boring) time said that I find the TH-900 quite unbalanced compared to the Audezes, but using the "right" amp / DAC combo - the unbalance is wrinkled out to a good extent - and I like the TH-900 now. 

post #3513 of 7815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

I am pretty surprised that some are comparing the LCD-3 and TH-900 - and find them quite similar. To may ears they are very, very different (even from various amps and DACs). I have for some (boring) time said that I find the TH-900 quite unbalanced compared to the Audezes, but using the "right" amp / DAC combo - the unbalance is wrinkled out to a good extent - and I like the TH-900 now. 

+1 ; They are TOTALLY different phones sonically.

post #3514 of 7815

Tha "sad" thing is that after listening to the TH-900, the LCD-3 (and LCD-2) sounds almost anemic. Each one have to do the math related to that. My calculus proves that the TH-900s exaggerated bass is way off neutral. That does not say that it isn´t likable. It is just (in comparison) to the Audezes - too much and artificial. 

post #3515 of 7815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Tha "sad" thing is that after listening to the TH-900, the LCD-3 (and LCD-2) sounds almost anemic. Each one have to do the math related to that. My calculus proves that the TH-900s exaggerated bass is way off neutral. That does not say that it isn´t likable. It is just (in comparison) to the Audezes - too much and artificial. 

 

I have the same observations after switching from the LA7000 to the LCD2-2.  While I've read raves about how deep the bass gets on the LCD2, its bass extension sounds almost pedestrian/inadequate compared with that of the LA7000.  It's just that I keep coming back to the LA7Ks for that bass.  I'm hoping the TH900 bass is just as addictive.  Will find out soon :)

post #3516 of 7815

My bet is that you´ll be happy. :)

post #3517 of 7815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

My bet is that you´ll be happy. :)

 


Very happy indeed, these are my new favorite can.. thus far. darthsmile.gif

post #3518 of 7815

Using the NAD M51 as DAC - and the Violectric V200 and Soloist from Burson - the sound / music portrayed into my ears is quite different. I.e. the Burson or the Violectric really makes a (HUGE) difference when utilizing the TH-900. 

 

TH-900 is one of the most transparent headphones around.


Edited by Loevhagen - 3/8/13 at 2:37pm
post #3519 of 7815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Using the NAD M51 as DAC - and the Violectric V200 and Soloist from Burson - the sound / music portrayed into my ears is quite different. I.e. the Burson or the Violectric really makes a (HUGE) difference when utilizing the TH-900. 

 

TH-900 is one of the most transparent headphones around.

 

What's your favorite amp + DAC combination on the TH-900?  I currently have the V200 and I'm considering trading my LA7000 for a nice amp or DAC to pair with the TH900.

post #3520 of 7815

My vote goes to the LCD3 over the TH900 if I had to choose on sonics alone. There is something deep and engaging about the LCD3s that I can't say I've heard in any other phone. Actually, the Hifimen phones (HE500 for me) have a good hint of this character, but the Audeze carries it further.

The LCD3 has really grown on me and I like it more and more as time goes on (over a year now).

TH900s and HD800s are more of a traditional headphone experience, both in an excellent way, but for me,

the LCD3's bass and inner beauty and rich image-texture are more special. I listen to all of these phones.

post #3521 of 7815

I have personally listened to the TH-900 for quite some time, and late this evening switched to Mjolnir / LCD-3 (same DAC; M51 from NAD) and I am quite surprised how much more natural the LCD-3 sounds compared to the TH-900s.

 

The Fostex´s is for some points in time more "fun" - but the Audezes is Kingdom when it comes to MUSIC. Damn.

post #3522 of 7815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

I have personally listened to the TH-900 for quite some time, and late this evening switched to Mjolnir / LCD-3 (same DAC; M51 from NAD) and I am quite surprised how much more natural the LCD-3 sounds compared to the TH-900s.

 

The Fostex´s is for some points in time more "fun" - but the Audezes is Kingdom when it comes to MUSIC. Damn.

 

I'd argue, in my experience, that listen to your LCD-3s for a few weeks and ignore the TH-900s.  Go back to the TH-900s, and you'll find something you missed in them over the LCD-3s. 

 

Headphones are different, bring different things to the table, and we should enjoy each for its strengths, deal with its weaknesses, and be thankful we can afford to appreciate them at all. 

post #3523 of 7815

I have been listening to my new TH 900's for about 3 hours straight. Love the sound! But honestly I'm not really impressed with the comfort, the D7000 is clearly more comfortable, I find the pads are a bit stiff, and do not fit around my ears with balance in pressure. Right above my ears feel somewhat fatigued. This is a bit surprising to me because when I first put them on I thought they were really comfortable, then after a few hours I started noticing it was a bit fatiguing. Not a deal breaker at all, but I do find the denon pads more comfortable, even though they seem to be lesser in overall quality. At this time, I think I find the LCD 3 to be more comfortable, even if they weigh much more. 

post #3524 of 7815

Couldn't just be that the pads need to be broken it at all? New pads are often uncomfortable. 

 

Also, don't they still use the same mounting mechanism? Why not try the Denon pads?

post #3525 of 7815

Got'em..

 

#00768

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread