Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 223

post #3331 of 8473
Thread Starter 

The question of good amp pairings for the TH900 gets asked a lot in this thread, so I figured I'd add another to the list of considerations for folks: the DNA Stratus 2A3. I haven't yet had the pleasure of listening to this combo myself, but folks at the Changfest meet seemed to rave about it. In fact Donald (the amp's designer) is convinced he needs a TH900 for himself now.

 

 

 

And yes, it only comes in smurf color.

post #3332 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

It isolates some, so wifey won't be bitching and moaning about the sound being too loud.

 

+1. With my overly sensitive family yelling at me whenever I listen to loud music through my LCD-2, I realized I cannot use open-back headphones in this house anymore.

post #3333 of 8473
TH900 is a great headphone. I was first planning to get the TH600 but I know it would have bugged me that I didn't have the "flagship". My wallet has suffered but my ears certainly haven't biggrin.gif
post #3334 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post


Very similar to my experience. I will be getting the W3000anv for comparison soon but I have to agree, it's hard to beat the TH900, it is just amazing. I've actually never had any fatigue with the TH900, you just never get bored and the music is really inviting. I've been using the Burson HA-160 with the TH900 and I really like the combo but there isn't much control in the lower end however that leads to more enjoyable listening for genres like EDM or hard rock.
Currently, my 009 rig is better for acoustic and classical and the TH900 for everything else.
SR009 + Blue Hawaii are in my crosshairs...I don't really need this monster combo but curiosity is killing me. The deposit is down on the Blue
Hawaii...amp should be shipping in 5 months...will get the SR009s a couple of months before that (in the meantime I'll be feverishly seeing patients so I can finance the endeavor). So, what's driving your SR009s?
post #3335 of 8473

The TH900 is probably going to be my next headphone . While waiting for the Electra to ship, my 009s have been boxed after I sold the BHSE. I was not too happy with that pairing. YMMV :)


Edited by rubenpp - 2/21/13 at 3:55pm
post #3336 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenpp View Post

The TH900 is probably going to be my next headphone . While waiting for the Electra to ship, my 009s have been boxed after I sold the BHSE. I was not too happy with that pairing. YMMV smily_headphones1.gif
Oh no!!! What didn't you like about the combo? I feel like I'm gonna get the runs!
post #3337 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

I feel like I'm gonna get the runs!
Better head to the loo then biggrin.gif
post #3338 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post

Better head to the loo then biggrin.gif
Headed? I'm there.
post #3339 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post

Better head to the loo then biggrin.gif
So I see in your profile that you own the ATH3000Anv cans. Let me tell you...if it weren't for the th900s, these would be the best closed cans the world has ever known. Great pairing with the grace 903/903 and the Burson Soloist.
post #3340 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post


SR009 + Blue Hawaii are in my crosshairs...I don't really need this monster combo but curiosity is killing me. The deposit is down on the Blue
Hawaii...amp should be shipping in 5 months...will get the SR009s a couple of months before that (in the meantime I'll be feverishly seeing patients so I can finance the endeavor). So, what's driving your SR009s?


The 727II at the moment.

post #3341 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzleraddict View Post

I just listened to these at Jaben in SG, driven by a Go Vibe Porta Tube+ (this is ONE seriously impressive portable amp!). Compared with an HD650 (which I have and am familiar with). The TH900s just let the music out with some air around them (good details), neutral mids which aren't thin at all, good decay on strings (they almost sound too good on some remastered Fleetwood Mac tracks) and great low end (not with huge authority but you definitely won't miss it). It also confirmed that the HD650s are actually no slouches either but the TH900s are a headphone that seems VERY balanced across the frequency spectrum. 

 

At least my initial reaction was a lot more positive on the Fostex vs. the HD800s when I first listened to them.

 

I'm impressed. And thanks to the folks at Jaben SG for being gracious enough to let me audition them. Now I've got to save my pennies for these... :(

If you have SACD capability, try the TH900s with the SACD of Rumors by Fleetwood Mac. It's so real it convinces me that headphones can be better than even the best speakers, or at least that phones can 

communicate with you on a level that speakers cannot.

post #3342 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post


Oh no!!! What didn't you like about the combo? I feel like I'm gonna get the runs!

I felt that the 009 actually sounded better with Stax amps and the LL . However a friend ( who listens to classical music only)  liked the pairing and has ordered the BHSE as well.  Then he heard the Electra..... biggrin.gif.. 

 

BHSE+007mk1  is something else however.

 

sorry to derail the thread a bit.


Edited by rubenpp - 2/21/13 at 6:10pm
post #3343 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenpp View Post

I felt that the 009 actually sounded better with Stax amps and the LL . However a friend ( who listens to classical music only)  liked the pairing and has ordered the BHSE as well.  Then he heard the Electra..... biggrin.gif
.. 

BHSE+007mk1  is something else however.

sorry to derail the thread a bit.
your friend's opinion has saved me from a sleepless night of rumination and regret. Time to get out of the loo.
post #3344 of 8473
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

your friend's opinion has saved me from a sleepless night of rumination and regret. Time to get out of the loo.

Not sure if Alex setup was messed up at last RMAF, but to my ears it(LL) sounded like 1950 Russian tube AM radio compared to BHSE and the rest. He told me that apparently somebody dropped his 009 day before, so maybe that was the reason.
Edited by zare - 2/21/13 at 9:12pm
post #3345 of 8473
Double post.
Edited by zare - 2/21/13 at 9:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread