Congrats man! The ZDSE will sound so sweet!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on 7/24/16 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Possible to bring mids forward on TH900? Last post on 11/29/15 at 11:37am in High-end Audio Forum
- FS: Fostex T10 & T20 (Vintage Orthodynamics) Last post on 1/27/15 at 1:00pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
First off, thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for reaching out and offering the opportunity to look at the "Jive". Secondly, I noticed a trend that I'm giving 4 stars to everything I've reviewed...
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 197
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yep! The ZDSE has proved it's magic over time with every headphone I've thrown at it. The question now is whether to try the more neutral and dynamic Brimar, or go with the Black/round NOS Tung sol which is a little warmer and more laid back-which worked best with my HD800s.
Just ordered a pair from Todd today. Can't wait! I've had my ZDSE and HD800 for a while now. Even though I thoroughly enjoy them, I've always wondered what else I can pair with this amp. Sounds like this would be a great match.
Regarding the 2A3, Craig has demoed some upgrades for it at various meets recently, so you may want to hold off on it for now until those updates get implemented.
You mean the implementation in the 2A3 amp of the BA's high frequency heater ? Or are you aware of OTHER upgrades ?
Kudos to you! By the time you return home, I'm sure you'll find yourself a match made in heaven. As for the headphone stand you're talking about, I made that post. I've ordered one from Sweden myself and it really looks decent with the TH900.
Or you can directly PM ValentinHogea. Same guy.
Happy listening, cheers.
P.S. Hey, I'm a 500+ Head-Fi'er now!
Edited by songmic - 1/10/13 at 5:31pm
Although I cannot say for sure as I've never listened to it, I have a feeling ZDSE will be a better match than the 2A3 synergistically because the 2A3 was designed to drive power-hungry, low-efficiency headphones such as orthos in mind. It would be overkill for a high-efficiency headphone like the TH900; the ZDSE on the other hand as a dedicated single-ended output with a very low output impedance that would provide sufficient damping factor even to the 25-ohm TH900.
These headphones should had been made with 3 dB less of bass, with +7 instead of +10 dB boost in the bass region, and they should had been made with a much higher impedance, of at least 250 to 300 Ohms and ideally 500 Ohms or even 600. It would have helped to smooth out a bit the frequency response line, to bring the mid frequencies a little forward. I do not understand the reasoning of Foster Electric headphone division regarding the manufacture of 2000+ dollars headphones with such a low impedance. Do the executives of Foster E. think that the headphones of this quality should be listened to unamplified and plugged in to the crappy headphone out instead of the dedicated line out ? Those who pay this kind of money for a headphone care about the audio-quality of music, for them the impedance of 25 Ohms is not much of a use. Foster E. clearly targeted the generation on the constant move, those who have at their disposal many of the new portable sound sources. In that case then why the 6.5 mm plug ?
Beyerdynamic made an error of T5p not having an impedance of 250 Ohms, their trademark mid-impedance calibration. Now Fostex repeats the error.
I understand your complaint. Contrary to popular belief, high-impedance headphones are actually easier to drive because they would result in a much greater damping factor, thus providing enough control over the drivers. When I was looking for a headphone amp, I too was frustrated to see that many amps, especially tube amps, don't have enough low output impedance to work well with the TH900.
However, I think the TH900 was intentionally designed to be driven with low output impedance amps (most solid-state amps and a few tube amps) in the first place. I currently use the Burson Soloist whose output impedance is less than 1 ohm, soon to be replaced with the Zana Deux SE (3 ohms, still low enough for 25-ohm TH900).If you're worried about the impedance-frequency curve, Innerfidelity's measurement of TH900 shows that it is relatively flat, very flat compared to headphones like the HD800 which has high impedance but very fluctuating curve. In the end, I don't blame Fostex for what they've done; I'm sure they had their reasons, and who knows what it would've sounded like if it were made as high-impedance? The sound of the low-impedance TH900 as it is already leaves little to be desired.
From what I remember, they should fill a void of sound signatures in my collection. ETA is tomorrow...should be a busy weekend.
That just means it'll take me a while to get 2000 bucks to spare. My desktop computer is begging for an upgrade and I recently got into photography and that will both be costly for sure :"(
Todd at TTVJ Audio has the Fostex TH900 at 10% off ($1,799) for the 'Deal of the Day.'
This deal expires on 1/13/13
I thought this would be interesting for potential owners on the verge of making a purchase.
Wow. Nice Find. I don't know if I should be happy or sad to see this post. A lot of thinking to do thats for sure.
I think LinkPro was referring more to the fact that Fostex will eventually discontinue the TH900 someday, because no headphone is made forever.
Dew et! The TH900 is definitely one of the most amazing headphones I've heard!
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 22 seconds ago
- › A FLAC-supportive cloud storage? 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › The decline of rock n roll rebellion 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 3 minutes ago
- › Best Headphones under $500 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bi...MINT CONDTION NEW>PRICE REDUCTION-SOLD 4 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter 4 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...