Congrats man! The ZDSE will sound so sweet!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 8:06 am in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Possible to bring mids forward on TH900? Last post on 11/29/15 at 11:37am in High-end Audio Forum
- FS: Fostex T10 & T20 (Vintage Orthodynamics) Last post on 1/27/15 at 1:00pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
As part of the OPPO PM3 loaner program I had a chance to evaluate the PM3's for a few days. Overall, I was very impressed with the packaging, build quality and finish. The brushed aluminum is...
COMPANY: Sennheiser MODEL: HD598 COST: $299 CAD - $250 USD – Note: often on sale for much less TYPE: Open, Dynamic, Over-Ear DRIVER SIZE: 40mm neodynium FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 12 Hz – 38.5...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I've been working with Trinity (Trinity Audio Engineering) for almost a couple of years now. I don't...
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 197
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yep! The ZDSE has proved it's magic over time with every headphone I've thrown at it. The question now is whether to try the more neutral and dynamic Brimar, or go with the Black/round NOS Tung sol which is a little warmer and more laid back-which worked best with my HD800s.
Just ordered a pair from Todd today. Can't wait! I've had my ZDSE and HD800 for a while now. Even though I thoroughly enjoy them, I've always wondered what else I can pair with this amp. Sounds like this would be a great match.
Regarding the 2A3, Craig has demoed some upgrades for it at various meets recently, so you may want to hold off on it for now until those updates get implemented.
You mean the implementation in the 2A3 amp of the BA's high frequency heater ? Or are you aware of OTHER upgrades ?
Kudos to you! By the time you return home, I'm sure you'll find yourself a match made in heaven. As for the headphone stand you're talking about, I made that post. I've ordered one from Sweden myself and it really looks decent with the TH900.
Or you can directly PM ValentinHogea. Same guy.
Happy listening, cheers.
P.S. Hey, I'm a 500+ Head-Fi'er now!
Edited by songmic - 1/10/13 at 5:31pm
Although I cannot say for sure as I've never listened to it, I have a feeling ZDSE will be a better match than the 2A3 synergistically because the 2A3 was designed to drive power-hungry, low-efficiency headphones such as orthos in mind. It would be overkill for a high-efficiency headphone like the TH900; the ZDSE on the other hand as a dedicated single-ended output with a very low output impedance that would provide sufficient damping factor even to the 25-ohm TH900.
These headphones should had been made with 3 dB less of bass, with +7 instead of +10 dB boost in the bass region, and they should had been made with a much higher impedance, of at least 250 to 300 Ohms and ideally 500 Ohms or even 600. It would have helped to smooth out a bit the frequency response line, to bring the mid frequencies a little forward. I do not understand the reasoning of Foster Electric headphone division regarding the manufacture of 2000+ dollars headphones with such a low impedance. Do the executives of Foster E. think that the headphones of this quality should be listened to unamplified and plugged in to the crappy headphone out instead of the dedicated line out ? Those who pay this kind of money for a headphone care about the audio-quality of music, for them the impedance of 25 Ohms is not much of a use. Foster E. clearly targeted the generation on the constant move, those who have at their disposal many of the new portable sound sources. In that case then why the 6.5 mm plug ?
Beyerdynamic made an error of T5p not having an impedance of 250 Ohms, their trademark mid-impedance calibration. Now Fostex repeats the error.
I understand your complaint. Contrary to popular belief, high-impedance headphones are actually easier to drive because they would result in a much greater damping factor, thus providing enough control over the drivers. When I was looking for a headphone amp, I too was frustrated to see that many amps, especially tube amps, don't have enough low output impedance to work well with the TH900.
However, I think the TH900 was intentionally designed to be driven with low output impedance amps (most solid-state amps and a few tube amps) in the first place. I currently use the Burson Soloist whose output impedance is less than 1 ohm, soon to be replaced with the Zana Deux SE (3 ohms, still low enough for 25-ohm TH900).If you're worried about the impedance-frequency curve, Innerfidelity's measurement of TH900 shows that it is relatively flat, very flat compared to headphones like the HD800 which has high impedance but very fluctuating curve. In the end, I don't blame Fostex for what they've done; I'm sure they had their reasons, and who knows what it would've sounded like if it were made as high-impedance? The sound of the low-impedance TH900 as it is already leaves little to be desired.
From what I remember, they should fill a void of sound signatures in my collection. ETA is tomorrow...should be a busy weekend.
That just means it'll take me a while to get 2000 bucks to spare. My desktop computer is begging for an upgrade and I recently got into photography and that will both be costly for sure :"(
Todd at TTVJ Audio has the Fostex TH900 at 10% off ($1,799) for the 'Deal of the Day.'
This deal expires on 1/13/13
I thought this would be interesting for potential owners on the verge of making a purchase.
Wow. Nice Find. I don't know if I should be happy or sad to see this post. A lot of thinking to do thats for sure.
I think LinkPro was referring more to the fact that Fostex will eventually discontinue the TH900 someday, because no headphone is made forever.
Dew et! The TH900 is definitely one of the most amazing headphones I've heard!
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- › Life after Yggdrasil? 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 3 minutes ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 7 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 8 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 8 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 8 minutes ago
- › Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and... 10 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...