I tried the TH900 just for giggles with HD tracks ->foobar -> via headphone input in my Xonar Essence ST sound card - amazed at the sound quality - the ASUS XEST has never sounded so good :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 11:17 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on 9/24/14 at 2:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs Last post on 9/28/14 at 3:31pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 183post #2731 of 801512/19/12 at 12:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2732 of 801512/21/12 at 4:28amQuote:
Interesting mrtim6, I use the Essence One this way and feel the same way with the performance, not that I have compared this dac to other dac/amp's as yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the TH900 will perform with more well known dac/amp's in comparison.post #2733 of 801512/21/12 at 9:50am
I had one of those experiences we all strive for while listening to my TH900 last night.
While listening to my Gentle Giant - Octopus, Japanese sacd . By track 4, a sensation I can only describe as my face melting , overcame me.I was slack jawed, but not droolingpost #2734 of 801512/21/12 at 10:20amQuote:
Was it similar to Tyll's experience with the Ed 10s?post #2735 of 801512/21/12 at 10:33am
ummmm, kinda, but in a good way.The more I delve into this "hobby" the clearer it becomes how importent the quality of source material is.I love Todd Rundgren , but his muddled production does not compliment a headphone experience , especially on OOPS! WRONG PLANET.post #2736 of 801512/21/12 at 10:37amQuote:
Did you compare the TH900 to your LA7000s?post #2737 of 801512/21/12 at 10:48am
I am spending this week exclusively listening to the TH900
I will switch back to the LA7000 after I get back from Vancouver next friday,leaving sunday.
I can say they are not as similar as some might thinkpost #2738 of 801512/21/12 at 11:04amQuote:
+1, I believe so too and this is with the D7000s. From my whole collection, the TH900s are getting the most head time atm.post #2739 of 801512/21/12 at 4:45pmpost #2740 of 801512/21/12 at 5:28pm
Got in my TH900 from Moon Audio today. Usually I wait until late night to do listening, but I couldn't help myself from immediately opening the box to try them out.
I should start by saying that the OII/BHSE has definitely spoiled me for all time. I can't help but mentally compare the TH900 to the OII and not think of how inferior it is to the OII. Because the OII is infinite levels of awesome and nothing can really match it, even for something like the TH900, no matter how good it is.
But I'm only saying the OII is infinite levels of awesome because the TH900 is awesome too! Just not as awesome. And I definitely like it a lot more than previous other flagships like the LCD-3, HD800, T1, et al. It eats them for breakfast and spits them back out in pieces!
This is just my impression so far after 10-15 minutes of listening, which will likely change. I'll probably be writing a full review after my GS-X MKII comes in. (I'm currently using a Burson Soloist.)
I'll also add that I think the TH900 is the current-production dynamic flagship to beat and have absolutely no qualms in recommending it over both Audeze headphones, the HD800, T1, etc. Head-Fiers who want a real, serious upgrade from mid-tier headphones (like the K70x and HD6xx) should get the TH900. The other flagships are really nothing that great IMO. Although I'm generous enough to call them "above-average," I really don't think any of them are truly "high-end". The TH900 is a giant step closer to being "high-end". Not that I think the TH900 is all-the-way high-end either though. High-end for me is the OII and Qualia 010.
Edited by Asr - 12/21/12 at 5:46pmpost #2741 of 801512/21/12 at 9:39pm
Asr, I haven't kept track of your postings, but have you spent time with the 009s along with the Omega 2s?
Do you prefer the Omega 2s to the 009s?
(I heard both side by side at a meet and thought the 009s were much better and more resolving and transparent on a Woo WES. I own the 009s with an 007t2 amp and formerly owned the Omega 2s.)
[I guess this is the wrong thread for this, so please ignore it if you want.]post #2742 of 801512/21/12 at 10:39pmQuote:
I switched over to my T1 for a bit after listening to my TH900 for about an hour.The contrast was such that the T1's sounded veiled.I'm not saying the TH900's are overly bright , they're actually just right , I don't like overly bright cans.post #2743 of 801512/21/12 at 11:13pm
I have a not so great set up currently, just a pc with an Asus Xonar Stx sound card and the TH900 (which came today !)
I noticed, when i put on the headphone, I had it on speaker, then i switched the soundcard to heaphone mode, I can hear this little hiss.
I don't think I noticed this hiss with the Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset..
Is it the sound card or the headphone? ( I hope soundcard)post #2744 of 801512/21/12 at 11:44pm
Headphones as such do not introduce hiss, however a quick look at the MMX300 specs shows that the TH900 has a higher sensitivity, so it may well be that this puts it above the soundcard's noise floor, becoming audible as hiss. Don't know enough about the Xonar to know if that's symptomatic of the card itself or just your configuration, and whether there is a relatively easy fix. Do you try to physically disconnect the speakers?
I assume you weren't playing anything since some recordings even when "silent" may have their own background hiss...
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 31 seconds ago
- › Yulong DA8 (black) for sale or exchange 41 seconds ago
- › FiiO X5 firmware 2.20 download and discussion 59 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Update On Current Status 3 minutes ago
- › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp 3 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** RHA (Reid Heath Acoustics) T10i IEM to debut at IFA 2014 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 8 minutes ago
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Audiophile1811
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › Review before you send an email
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3