I tried the TH900 just for giggles with HD tracks ->foobar -> via headphone input in my Xonar Essence ST sound card - amazed at the sound quality - the ASUS XEST has never sounded so good :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Just got Fostex th-900 After Two Years Of Wheelin' & Dealin' Last post on 3/19/14 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900 compliment the HE500s Last post on 3/15/14 at 4:39pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ~$1000 budget for Cans for on the go Last post on 3/20/14 at 6:57am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
I would like to acknowledge that I'm actually reviewing T51i model of these headphones - identical to T51p with addition of in-line remote/mic. I received these for review purpose from...
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 183post #2731 of 684112/19/12 at 12:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2732 of 684112/21/12 at 4:28amQuote:
Interesting mrtim6, I use the Essence One this way and feel the same way with the performance, not that I have compared this dac to other dac/amp's as yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the TH900 will perform with more well known dac/amp's in comparison.post #2733 of 684112/21/12 at 9:50am
I had one of those experiences we all strive for while listening to my TH900 last night.
While listening to my Gentle Giant - Octopus, Japanese sacd . By track 4, a sensation I can only describe as my face melting , overcame me.I was slack jawed, but not droolingpost #2734 of 684112/21/12 at 10:20amQuote:
Was it similar to Tyll's experience with the Ed 10s?post #2735 of 684112/21/12 at 10:33am
ummmm, kinda, but in a good way.The more I delve into this "hobby" the clearer it becomes how importent the quality of source material is.I love Todd Rundgren , but his muddled production does not compliment a headphone experience , especially on OOPS! WRONG PLANET.post #2736 of 684112/21/12 at 10:37amQuote:
Did you compare the TH900 to your LA7000s?post #2737 of 684112/21/12 at 10:48am
I am spending this week exclusively listening to the TH900
I will switch back to the LA7000 after I get back from Vancouver next friday,leaving sunday.
I can say they are not as similar as some might thinkpost #2738 of 684112/21/12 at 11:04amQuote:
+1, I believe so too and this is with the D7000s. From my whole collection, the TH900s are getting the most head time atm.post #2739 of 684112/21/12 at 4:45pmpost #2740 of 684112/21/12 at 5:28pm
Got in my TH900 from Moon Audio today. Usually I wait until late night to do listening, but I couldn't help myself from immediately opening the box to try them out.
I should start by saying that the OII/BHSE has definitely spoiled me for all time. I can't help but mentally compare the TH900 to the OII and not think of how inferior it is to the OII. Because the OII is infinite levels of awesome and nothing can really match it, even for something like the TH900, no matter how good it is.
But I'm only saying the OII is infinite levels of awesome because the TH900 is awesome too! Just not as awesome. And I definitely like it a lot more than previous other flagships like the LCD-3, HD800, T1, et al. It eats them for breakfast and spits them back out in pieces!
This is just my impression so far after 10-15 minutes of listening, which will likely change. I'll probably be writing a full review after my GS-X MKII comes in. (I'm currently using a Burson Soloist.)
I'll also add that I think the TH900 is the current-production dynamic flagship to beat and have absolutely no qualms in recommending it over both Audeze headphones, the HD800, T1, etc. Head-Fiers who want a real, serious upgrade from mid-tier headphones (like the K70x and HD6xx) should get the TH900. The other flagships are really nothing that great IMO. Although I'm generous enough to call them "above-average," I really don't think any of them are truly "high-end". The TH900 is a giant step closer to being "high-end". Not that I think the TH900 is all-the-way high-end either though. High-end for me is the OII and Qualia 010.
Edited by Asr - 12/21/12 at 5:46pmpost #2741 of 684112/21/12 at 9:39pm
Asr, I haven't kept track of your postings, but have you spent time with the 009s along with the Omega 2s?
Do you prefer the Omega 2s to the 009s?
(I heard both side by side at a meet and thought the 009s were much better and more resolving and transparent on a Woo WES. I own the 009s with an 007t2 amp and formerly owned the Omega 2s.)
[I guess this is the wrong thread for this, so please ignore it if you want.]post #2742 of 684112/21/12 at 10:39pmQuote:
I switched over to my T1 for a bit after listening to my TH900 for about an hour.The contrast was such that the T1's sounded veiled.I'm not saying the TH900's are overly bright , they're actually just right , I don't like overly bright cans.post #2743 of 684112/21/12 at 11:13pm
I have a not so great set up currently, just a pc with an Asus Xonar Stx sound card and the TH900 (which came today !)
I noticed, when i put on the headphone, I had it on speaker, then i switched the soundcard to heaphone mode, I can hear this little hiss.
I don't think I noticed this hiss with the Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset..
Is it the sound card or the headphone? ( I hope soundcard)post #2744 of 684112/21/12 at 11:44pm
Headphones as such do not introduce hiss, however a quick look at the MMX300 specs shows that the TH900 has a higher sensitivity, so it may well be that this puts it above the soundcard's noise floor, becoming audible as hiss. Don't know enough about the Xonar to know if that's symptomatic of the card itself or just your configuration, and whether there is a relatively easy fix. Do you try to physically disconnect the speakers?
I assume you weren't playing anything since some recordings even when "silent" may have their own background hiss...
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 6 seconds ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 2 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod 4 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Forza AudioWorks - The Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO E18 Review 9 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 10 minutes ago
- › Headphone Recommendations for EDM? (Sub-$200) 12 minutes ago
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › Sennheiser MM 450-X Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by Faber65
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude