I tried the TH900 just for giggles with HD tracks ->foobar -> via headphone input in my Xonar Essence ST sound card - amazed at the sound quality - the ASUS XEST has never sounded so good :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 1:49 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Possible to bring mids forward on TH900? Last post on 2/4/15 at 6:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- FS: Fostex T10 & T20 (Vintage Orthodynamics) Last post on 1/27/15 at 1:00pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
A little background before I start. I'm 16 years old and I slowly began to become addicted to fine, audiophile-quality headphones. I remember the first time I heard beats at an apple store. I...
The Major 6 was one of the older models in chord&Major's lineup that has been revamped into the Major 6'13, inline with the Tonal Earphone series design principles. While it looks identical to the...
REMEMBER! No elitists aloud here. Headphones are objects with personality! The richest people can enjoy the cheapest headphone just because it provides the sound he's looking for, has the highs...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 183
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Interesting mrtim6, I use the Essence One this way and feel the same way with the performance, not that I have compared this dac to other dac/amp's as yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the TH900 will perform with more well known dac/amp's in comparison.
I had one of those experiences we all strive for while listening to my TH900 last night.
While listening to my Gentle Giant - Octopus, Japanese sacd . By track 4, a sensation I can only describe as my face melting , overcame me.I was slack jawed, but not drooling
Was it similar to Tyll's experience with the Ed 10s?
ummmm, kinda, but in a good way.The more I delve into this "hobby" the clearer it becomes how importent the quality of source material is.I love Todd Rundgren , but his muddled production does not compliment a headphone experience , especially on OOPS! WRONG PLANET.
Did you compare the TH900 to your LA7000s?
I am spending this week exclusively listening to the TH900
I will switch back to the LA7000 after I get back from Vancouver next friday,leaving sunday.
I can say they are not as similar as some might think
+1, I believe so too and this is with the D7000s. From my whole collection, the TH900s are getting the most head time atm.
Got in my TH900 from Moon Audio today. Usually I wait until late night to do listening, but I couldn't help myself from immediately opening the box to try them out.
I should start by saying that the OII/BHSE has definitely spoiled me for all time. I can't help but mentally compare the TH900 to the OII and not think of how inferior it is to the OII. Because the OII is infinite levels of awesome and nothing can really match it, even for something like the TH900, no matter how good it is.
But I'm only saying the OII is infinite levels of awesome because the TH900 is awesome too! Just not as awesome. And I definitely like it a lot more than previous other flagships like the LCD-3, HD800, T1, et al. It eats them for breakfast and spits them back out in pieces!
This is just my impression so far after 10-15 minutes of listening, which will likely change. I'll probably be writing a full review after my GS-X MKII comes in. (I'm currently using a Burson Soloist.)
I'll also add that I think the TH900 is the current-production dynamic flagship to beat and have absolutely no qualms in recommending it over both Audeze headphones, the HD800, T1, etc. Head-Fiers who want a real, serious upgrade from mid-tier headphones (like the K70x and HD6xx) should get the TH900. The other flagships are really nothing that great IMO. Although I'm generous enough to call them "above-average," I really don't think any of them are truly "high-end". The TH900 is a giant step closer to being "high-end". Not that I think the TH900 is all-the-way high-end either though. High-end for me is the OII and Qualia 010.
Edited by Asr - 12/21/12 at 5:46pm
Asr, I haven't kept track of your postings, but have you spent time with the 009s along with the Omega 2s?
Do you prefer the Omega 2s to the 009s?
(I heard both side by side at a meet and thought the 009s were much better and more resolving and transparent on a Woo WES. I own the 009s with an 007t2 amp and formerly owned the Omega 2s.)
[I guess this is the wrong thread for this, so please ignore it if you want.]
I switched over to my T1 for a bit after listening to my TH900 for about an hour.The contrast was such that the T1's sounded veiled.I'm not saying the TH900's are overly bright , they're actually just right , I don't like overly bright cans.
I have a not so great set up currently, just a pc with an Asus Xonar Stx sound card and the TH900 (which came today !)
I noticed, when i put on the headphone, I had it on speaker, then i switched the soundcard to heaphone mode, I can hear this little hiss.
I don't think I noticed this hiss with the Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset..
Is it the sound card or the headphone? ( I hope soundcard)
Headphones as such do not introduce hiss, however a quick look at the MMX300 specs shows that the TH900 has a higher sensitivity, so it may well be that this puts it above the soundcard's noise floor, becoming audible as hiss. Don't know enough about the Xonar to know if that's symptomatic of the card itself or just your configuration, and whether there is a relatively easy fix. Do you try to physically disconnect the speakers?
I assume you weren't playing anything since some recordings even when "silent" may have their own background hiss...
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 4 seconds ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- ONLY 2 DAYS AWAY!!! 31 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 35 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 36 seconds ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 56 seconds ago
- › Video ads are insufferable! 1 minute ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 + PNY Performance Elite 256 GB SDHC Card 3 minutes ago
- › Best pair of headphones for Under 200? 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by De1taE1even
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by iitime
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2