I tried the TH900 just for giggles with HD tracks ->foobar -> via headphone input in my Xonar Essence ST sound card - amazed at the sound quality - the ASUS XEST has never sounded so good :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Audeze LCD-2 rev 2.2, Norse Audio Skuld cable Last post on 6/9/13 at 5:03pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Fostex TH900 Last post on 6/7/13 at 11:04am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Fostex TH 900 – Modifications – Worth it? Last post on 5/29/13 at 2:02am in Headphones (full-size)
Jazz sounds real good on these. Classic music sounds pretty clear, like when the violin is playing and stuff. Vocals sound pretty good. 80's sound vibrant. dubstep/hardstyle, sounds...
No other headphone has surprised me in the manner that the Tactic 3D managed to. I originally purchased them because I needed headphones to do a Skype interview, and I wanted something...
Let me begin by saying there is nothing special about these headphones. My first impression of them made me smile because I fell in love with the oral shaped ear cups (I'm a sucker for "small"...
Owned a variety of DAC's DAP/sources, Cowon J3, Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary, Dacport LX, HRT Music Streamer II+, Sony Walkman Z. The DX100 completely blows them all away with it's reference...
Before you read this, I think you should know that I'm not an audiophile and that English isn't my native language. Let me start this on a positive note. The design of Razer Tiamat...
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 183
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Interesting mrtim6, I use the Essence One this way and feel the same way with the performance, not that I have compared this dac to other dac/amp's as yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the TH900 will perform with more well known dac/amp's in comparison.
I had one of those experiences we all strive for while listening to my TH900 last night.
While listening to my Gentle Giant - Octopus, Japanese sacd . By track 4, a sensation I can only describe as my face melting , overcame me.I was slack jawed, but not drooling
Was it similar to Tyll's experience with the Ed 10s?
ummmm, kinda, but in a good way.The more I delve into this "hobby" the clearer it becomes how importent the quality of source material is.I love Todd Rundgren , but his muddled production does not compliment a headphone experience , especially on OOPS! WRONG PLANET.
Did you compare the TH900 to your LA7000s?
I am spending this week exclusively listening to the TH900
I will switch back to the LA7000 after I get back from Vancouver next friday,leaving sunday.
I can say they are not as similar as some might think
+1, I believe so too and this is with the D7000s. From my whole collection, the TH900s are getting the most head time atm.
Got in my TH900 from Moon Audio today. Usually I wait until late night to do listening, but I couldn't help myself from immediately opening the box to try them out.
I should start by saying that the OII/BHSE has definitely spoiled me for all time. I can't help but mentally compare the TH900 to the OII and not think of how inferior it is to the OII. Because the OII is infinite levels of awesome and nothing can really match it, even for something like the TH900, no matter how good it is.
But I'm only saying the OII is infinite levels of awesome because the TH900 is awesome too! Just not as awesome. And I definitely like it a lot more than previous other flagships like the LCD-3, HD800, T1, et al. It eats them for breakfast and spits them back out in pieces!
This is just my impression so far after 10-15 minutes of listening, which will likely change. I'll probably be writing a full review after my GS-X MKII comes in. (I'm currently using a Burson Soloist.)
I'll also add that I think the TH900 is the current-production dynamic flagship to beat and have absolutely no qualms in recommending it over both Audeze headphones, the HD800, T1, etc. Head-Fiers who want a real, serious upgrade from mid-tier headphones (like the K70x and HD6xx) should get the TH900. The other flagships are really nothing that great IMO. Although I'm generous enough to call them "above-average," I really don't think any of them are truly "high-end". The TH900 is a giant step closer to being "high-end". Not that I think the TH900 is all-the-way high-end either though. High-end for me is the OII and Qualia 010.
Edited by Asr - 12/21/12 at 5:46pm
Asr, I haven't kept track of your postings, but have you spent time with the 009s along with the Omega 2s?
Do you prefer the Omega 2s to the 009s?
(I heard both side by side at a meet and thought the 009s were much better and more resolving and transparent on a Woo WES. I own the 009s with an 007t2 amp and formerly owned the Omega 2s.)
[I guess this is the wrong thread for this, so please ignore it if you want.]
I switched over to my T1 for a bit after listening to my TH900 for about an hour.The contrast was such that the T1's sounded veiled.I'm not saying the TH900's are overly bright , they're actually just right , I don't like overly bright cans.
I have a not so great set up currently, just a pc with an Asus Xonar Stx sound card and the TH900 (which came today !)
I noticed, when i put on the headphone, I had it on speaker, then i switched the soundcard to heaphone mode, I can hear this little hiss.
I don't think I noticed this hiss with the Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset..
Is it the sound card or the headphone? ( I hope soundcard)
Headphones as such do not introduce hiss, however a quick look at the MMX300 specs shows that the TH900 has a higher sensitivity, so it may well be that this puts it above the soundcard's noise floor, becoming audible as hiss. Don't know enough about the Xonar to know if that's symptomatic of the card itself or just your configuration, and whether there is a relatively easy fix. Do you try to physically disconnect the speakers?
I assume you weren't playing anything since some recordings even when "silent" may have their own background hiss...
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- › HDCD list 28 seconds ago
- › Best android music player app? 2 minutes ago
- › Need an iem under 100 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Violectric V800 DAC *like new* 7 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › Planar magnetic headphone burn in 8 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 8 minutes ago
- › Rank the IEM's you've heard 9 minutes ago
- › Chord QuteHD DAC - 'Pulse-Array' Teconology Discusion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by David Chavez
- › iBasso DX100 Reference DAP by Poetic
- › Razer Tiamat 7.1 by helmutssss
- › Sony Xperia S Black by TheBrutux168
- › Xonar U7 - 7.1 USB-Soundkarte by pietcux
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by Landon Watson
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by tintoy
- › JDS Labs ODAC by Rem0o
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe