I tried the TH900 just for giggles with HD tracks ->foobar -> via headphone input in my Xonar Essence ST sound card - amazed at the sound quality - the ASUS XEST has never sounded so good :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Fostex TH-900 and HP-A8C Last post on 12/3/13 at 8:06am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Best headphones for EDM / Electronica? Last post on 11/29/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fostex... your opinion? Last post on 11/24/13 at 2:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 183post #2731 of 593712/19/12 at 12:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2732 of 593712/21/12 at 4:28amQuote:
Interesting mrtim6, I use the Essence One this way and feel the same way with the performance, not that I have compared this dac to other dac/amp's as yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the TH900 will perform with more well known dac/amp's in comparison.post #2733 of 593712/21/12 at 9:50am
I had one of those experiences we all strive for while listening to my TH900 last night.
While listening to my Gentle Giant - Octopus, Japanese sacd . By track 4, a sensation I can only describe as my face melting , overcame me.I was slack jawed, but not droolingpost #2734 of 593712/21/12 at 10:20amQuote:
Was it similar to Tyll's experience with the Ed 10s?post #2735 of 593712/21/12 at 10:33am
ummmm, kinda, but in a good way.The more I delve into this "hobby" the clearer it becomes how importent the quality of source material is.I love Todd Rundgren , but his muddled production does not compliment a headphone experience , especially on OOPS! WRONG PLANET.post #2736 of 593712/21/12 at 10:37amQuote:
Did you compare the TH900 to your LA7000s?post #2737 of 593712/21/12 at 10:48am
I am spending this week exclusively listening to the TH900
I will switch back to the LA7000 after I get back from Vancouver next friday,leaving sunday.
I can say they are not as similar as some might thinkpost #2738 of 593712/21/12 at 11:04amQuote:
+1, I believe so too and this is with the D7000s. From my whole collection, the TH900s are getting the most head time atm.post #2739 of 593712/21/12 at 4:45pmpost #2740 of 593712/21/12 at 5:28pm
Got in my TH900 from Moon Audio today. Usually I wait until late night to do listening, but I couldn't help myself from immediately opening the box to try them out.
I should start by saying that the OII/BHSE has definitely spoiled me for all time. I can't help but mentally compare the TH900 to the OII and not think of how inferior it is to the OII. Because the OII is infinite levels of awesome and nothing can really match it, even for something like the TH900, no matter how good it is.
But I'm only saying the OII is infinite levels of awesome because the TH900 is awesome too! Just not as awesome. And I definitely like it a lot more than previous other flagships like the LCD-3, HD800, T1, et al. It eats them for breakfast and spits them back out in pieces!
This is just my impression so far after 10-15 minutes of listening, which will likely change. I'll probably be writing a full review after my GS-X MKII comes in. (I'm currently using a Burson Soloist.)
I'll also add that I think the TH900 is the current-production dynamic flagship to beat and have absolutely no qualms in recommending it over both Audeze headphones, the HD800, T1, etc. Head-Fiers who want a real, serious upgrade from mid-tier headphones (like the K70x and HD6xx) should get the TH900. The other flagships are really nothing that great IMO. Although I'm generous enough to call them "above-average," I really don't think any of them are truly "high-end". The TH900 is a giant step closer to being "high-end". Not that I think the TH900 is all-the-way high-end either though. High-end for me is the OII and Qualia 010.
Edited by Asr - 12/21/12 at 5:46pmpost #2741 of 593712/21/12 at 9:39pm
Asr, I haven't kept track of your postings, but have you spent time with the 009s along with the Omega 2s?
Do you prefer the Omega 2s to the 009s?
(I heard both side by side at a meet and thought the 009s were much better and more resolving and transparent on a Woo WES. I own the 009s with an 007t2 amp and formerly owned the Omega 2s.)
[I guess this is the wrong thread for this, so please ignore it if you want.]post #2742 of 593712/21/12 at 10:39pmQuote:
I switched over to my T1 for a bit after listening to my TH900 for about an hour.The contrast was such that the T1's sounded veiled.I'm not saying the TH900's are overly bright , they're actually just right , I don't like overly bright cans.post #2743 of 593712/21/12 at 11:13pm
I have a not so great set up currently, just a pc with an Asus Xonar Stx sound card and the TH900 (which came today !)
I noticed, when i put on the headphone, I had it on speaker, then i switched the soundcard to heaphone mode, I can hear this little hiss.
I don't think I noticed this hiss with the Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset..
Is it the sound card or the headphone? ( I hope soundcard)post #2744 of 593712/21/12 at 11:44pm
Headphones as such do not introduce hiss, however a quick look at the MMX300 specs shows that the TH900 has a higher sensitivity, so it may well be that this puts it above the soundcard's noise floor, becoming audible as hiss. Don't know enough about the Xonar to know if that's symptomatic of the card itself or just your configuration, and whether there is a relatively easy fix. Do you try to physically disconnect the speakers?
I assume you weren't playing anything since some recordings even when "silent" may have their own background hiss...
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = (Modulor orders updated... 4 seconds ago
- › Denon AH-C300 Urban Raver Impressions 8 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 22 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 1 minute ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 2 minutes ago
- › Paradigm Anyone? 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Edifier Headphones and Earphones (H850, H290... etc) 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital