- 6,915 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 6:27 am in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Fostex TH900 MkII Last post on 8/13/16 at 8:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Possible to bring mids forward on TH900? Last post on 11/29/15 at 11:37am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
The iFi Audio Micro iDSD was sent to me by iFi with help from their Norwegian distributor Audioaktøren for the purpose of doing this review and including it in my recently started $250+ amp/DAC...
This is pretty much the same weightless, rickety, tiny player apparently offered by Kogan, oRiver, Ritmix, etc. It comes decently boxed with a soft pouch, USB cable, and nice looking (if...
Aune M2 Pro Review Intro : Since the past few years I had kept myself away from trying out any new DAPs or audio gear since I was pretty satisfied with my Fiio X5 (1st gen) and Sansa Clip...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nice but hard to tell cos isolation isn't that great (at least to me) - without cranking up the volume too much. Personally to me, I'm happy enough with my Ed8 & I'm not certain if the gains are worth the extra ¥50,000 over the Ed8's.
Pls don't get me wrong, they are good.
Law of diminishing returns, mate . If I didn't have the Ed8's I'd probably consider getting these.
It's funny that after a certain thresh hold (whatever it may be for each individual), the price of headphones seem to increase dramatically with slightly less gains.
At least to me, the only exception is the SR-009's (driven by a decent amp).
P.S. I'm probably going to regret saying this publically when I'm more sober tomorrow morning.
Aren't we all in clubs at 3 A.M. on Saturday nights?
Diminishing returns are like this (20 seconds in mspaint...)
It's the Urushi lacquered wood that make this headphone costly (*and the 1.5 tesla... but that's plain obvious a technological advancement of a headphone is to cost more, that's why companies like Sennheiser release HD800, call it their flagship and make it their pride)(that will make up for the difference in price next to a Denon AH-D7000), about the difference in price between the Audio-Technica W5000 and the W3000ANV costlier, but a bit less because W3000ANV isn't strictly just a coated W5000.
The Urushi lacquer made from the sap of Rhus vernicifula, which is a native plant of the northeast Asian forest, has 10 layers applied by the hands of artisans and has to dry between each layer. It's a painstaking process, old of 6500+ years and is Japanese traditional, if not exclusive... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_lacquerware
But you knew that already.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 12:56pm
Eh, not exactly. A more accurate chart would have the price and performance curves be essentially mirror images of each other. Performance would increase sharply while price builds gradually. At the other end, performance would begin to level off, while price would skyrocket.
Well it's a 20 second graph.
You can type Law of diminished returns on Google, it's a real phenomenon in economics.
Just like DaveBSC described, very accurately at that, lol
Except that we need to modify it a little to reflect the situation of most really high priced headphones, except maybe the Ultrasone 10 where you might really fall into the negative returns.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 12:59pm
Honestly the Edition 10 easily sounds better than the Edition 8, but the price turns it into a paperweight with little value.
Where did U find the TH900 for ¥129,000? I just checked Rakuten & Kakaku & the cheapest is ¥149,000!!
This could be whole different story (for me) if the TH900 can be purchased for that price!!
Not everything deserves to be at the top of the charts just because it may have a very high price. I don't think anyone would describe the ED10 as in the same league with the SR-009, HE90, or R10. Ultrasones in general seem to have absolutely no bearing of price v performance. It's more about plating each new headphone with a shinier metal than the last. $300 Beats headphones aren't even on the same planet with other $300 class headphones that were designed properly.
^Yep, that's what I implied when mentioning that with an Edition 10 you were paying for negative returns, but I wanted to be careful when saying that because there was an Edition 8 owner among us? lol jk.
^^Oh AnakChan I have no idea. I just read that on pricejapan.com, it would be there http://kakaku.com/item/K0000297318/ but, hum, it's not.
But according to pricejapan.com lowest is ¥129,000. Perplexing. You could ask them, maybe they really are selling it at 129,000 to Japan located people. http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1117&category=10
I edited my post if that would happen to be an inaccuracy, and I'm sorry if it made you fall of your chair, lol. I did not make up that 129,000 though.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 1:05pm
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 17 seconds ago
- › Music City Meet, Volume 5 -- Spring 2016 -- Pictures & Impressions... 1 minute ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Upgrading Soundcard/getting an DAC/Amp 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › For newbie ears: X2 or K7XX? 4 minutes ago
- › Is Audio Technica's ATH-IM70 a professional IEM? 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by peter123
- › Basic M90 by Lad3
- › Aune M2 32BIT DSD portable music player by Faheem
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...