- 6,290 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 7:41 am in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Possible to bring mids forward on TH900? Last post on 5/20/15 at 12:36am in High-end Audio Forum
- FS: Fostex T10 & T20 (Vintage Orthodynamics) Last post on 1/27/15 at 1:00pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
I was invited by Noontec to write a honest review of their Hammo S headphone. I tend to be very skeptical about lower-priced headphones, since the bottom tier of headphones/speakers tend to...
RHA T20 Review Tour Many thanks to RHA and forum member Rearwing for arranging the tour and the generosity of a 10-day listening period (my suspicion though is to pass some thanks to reviewer...
Construction, Materials, and Comfort: For starters, the protein leather is extremely soft and supple, and makes the ear pads and headband luxurious to touch. Heat retention actually isn't as bad...
I originally bought these after my earphones that came with my phone broke. After receiving these I was extremely pleased with the bass: it was boomy, punchy and felt powerful. These were also very...
I am an amateur recording engineer that mainly uses a laptop pc on location with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. The bus power is no doubt as noisy as a baby with a full diaper that's up way past...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nice but hard to tell cos isolation isn't that great (at least to me) - without cranking up the volume too much. Personally to me, I'm happy enough with my Ed8 & I'm not certain if the gains are worth the extra ¥50,000 over the Ed8's.
Pls don't get me wrong, they are good.
Law of diminishing returns, mate . If I didn't have the Ed8's I'd probably consider getting these.
It's funny that after a certain thresh hold (whatever it may be for each individual), the price of headphones seem to increase dramatically with slightly less gains.
At least to me, the only exception is the SR-009's (driven by a decent amp).
P.S. I'm probably going to regret saying this publically when I'm more sober tomorrow morning.
Aren't we all in clubs at 3 A.M. on Saturday nights?
Diminishing returns are like this (20 seconds in mspaint...)
It's the Urushi lacquered wood that make this headphone costly (*and the 1.5 tesla... but that's plain obvious a technological advancement of a headphone is to cost more, that's why companies like Sennheiser release HD800, call it their flagship and make it their pride)(that will make up for the difference in price next to a Denon AH-D7000), about the difference in price between the Audio-Technica W5000 and the W3000ANV costlier, but a bit less because W3000ANV isn't strictly just a coated W5000.
The Urushi lacquer made from the sap of Rhus vernicifula, which is a native plant of the northeast Asian forest, has 10 layers applied by the hands of artisans and has to dry between each layer. It's a painstaking process, old of 6500+ years and is Japanese traditional, if not exclusive... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_lacquerware
But you knew that already.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 12:56pm
Eh, not exactly. A more accurate chart would have the price and performance curves be essentially mirror images of each other. Performance would increase sharply while price builds gradually. At the other end, performance would begin to level off, while price would skyrocket.
Well it's a 20 second graph.
You can type Law of diminished returns on Google, it's a real phenomenon in economics.
Just like DaveBSC described, very accurately at that, lol
Except that we need to modify it a little to reflect the situation of most really high priced headphones, except maybe the Ultrasone 10 where you might really fall into the negative returns.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 12:59pm
Honestly the Edition 10 easily sounds better than the Edition 8, but the price turns it into a paperweight with little value.
Where did U find the TH900 for ¥129,000? I just checked Rakuten & Kakaku & the cheapest is ¥149,000!!
This could be whole different story (for me) if the TH900 can be purchased for that price!!
Not everything deserves to be at the top of the charts just because it may have a very high price. I don't think anyone would describe the ED10 as in the same league with the SR-009, HE90, or R10. Ultrasones in general seem to have absolutely no bearing of price v performance. It's more about plating each new headphone with a shinier metal than the last. $300 Beats headphones aren't even on the same planet with other $300 class headphones that were designed properly.
^Yep, that's what I implied when mentioning that with an Edition 10 you were paying for negative returns, but I wanted to be careful when saying that because there was an Edition 8 owner among us? lol jk.
^^Oh AnakChan I have no idea. I just read that on pricejapan.com, it would be there http://kakaku.com/item/K0000297318/ but, hum, it's not.
But according to pricejapan.com lowest is ¥129,000. Perplexing. You could ask them, maybe they really are selling it at 129,000 to Japan located people. http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1117&category=10
I edited my post if that would happen to be an inaccuracy, and I'm sorry if it made you fall of your chair, lol. I did not make up that 129,000 though.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 1:05pm
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 9 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 40 seconds ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 54 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 2 minutes ago
- › wharfedale or MartinLogan bookshelf speakers? 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 🌅 Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 18, 2015, Doubletree San... 6 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › RHA T20 by LFC_SL
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)