- 7,014 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 12:23 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Fostex TH900 MkII Last post on 10/19/16 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Possible to bring mids forward on TH900? Last post on 11/29/15 at 11:37am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
Inside the box Besides the headphone's being neatly folded inside of the box, they give you an manual and two cables. The first cable is an USB cable which is used to charge the battery inside of...
For larger images - please click individual photosINTRODUCTIONThis was the 2nd round of the HifiMan review tour of the two new DAPs in their portfolio. I posted the review of the SuperMini earlier...
Linking Mart/Agptek kindly sent me their latest Lossless Media player for review. External Features The first thing that strikes you about this player is its sheer weight and feeling of solidity...
Over the past few weeks I have tried out quite a few over-ear bluetooth headphones in a mad search for the ‘ultimate’ bluetooth headphone. I have tried the Bose QC35’s, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless...
This is a review of the Zorloo ZuperDAC DAC/amp combo. The Zorloo ZuperDAC was sendt to me for free from Zorloo in exchange for my honest review of it. I’d like to say THANK YOU to Zorloo for...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nice but hard to tell cos isolation isn't that great (at least to me) - without cranking up the volume too much. Personally to me, I'm happy enough with my Ed8 & I'm not certain if the gains are worth the extra ¥50,000 over the Ed8's.
Pls don't get me wrong, they are good.
Law of diminishing returns, mate . If I didn't have the Ed8's I'd probably consider getting these.
It's funny that after a certain thresh hold (whatever it may be for each individual), the price of headphones seem to increase dramatically with slightly less gains.
At least to me, the only exception is the SR-009's (driven by a decent amp).
P.S. I'm probably going to regret saying this publically when I'm more sober tomorrow morning.
Aren't we all in clubs at 3 A.M. on Saturday nights?
Diminishing returns are like this (20 seconds in mspaint...)
It's the Urushi lacquered wood that make this headphone costly (*and the 1.5 tesla... but that's plain obvious a technological advancement of a headphone is to cost more, that's why companies like Sennheiser release HD800, call it their flagship and make it their pride)(that will make up for the difference in price next to a Denon AH-D7000), about the difference in price between the Audio-Technica W5000 and the W3000ANV costlier, but a bit less because W3000ANV isn't strictly just a coated W5000.
The Urushi lacquer made from the sap of Rhus vernicifula, which is a native plant of the northeast Asian forest, has 10 layers applied by the hands of artisans and has to dry between each layer. It's a painstaking process, old of 6500+ years and is Japanese traditional, if not exclusive... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_lacquerware
But you knew that already.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 12:56pm
Eh, not exactly. A more accurate chart would have the price and performance curves be essentially mirror images of each other. Performance would increase sharply while price builds gradually. At the other end, performance would begin to level off, while price would skyrocket.
Well it's a 20 second graph.
You can type Law of diminished returns on Google, it's a real phenomenon in economics.
Just like DaveBSC described, very accurately at that, lol
Except that we need to modify it a little to reflect the situation of most really high priced headphones, except maybe the Ultrasone 10 where you might really fall into the negative returns.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 12:59pm
Honestly the Edition 10 easily sounds better than the Edition 8, but the price turns it into a paperweight with little value.
Where did U find the TH900 for ¥129,000? I just checked Rakuten & Kakaku & the cheapest is ¥149,000!!
This could be whole different story (for me) if the TH900 can be purchased for that price!!
Not everything deserves to be at the top of the charts just because it may have a very high price. I don't think anyone would describe the ED10 as in the same league with the SR-009, HE90, or R10. Ultrasones in general seem to have absolutely no bearing of price v performance. It's more about plating each new headphone with a shinier metal than the last. $300 Beats headphones aren't even on the same planet with other $300 class headphones that were designed properly.
^Yep, that's what I implied when mentioning that with an Edition 10 you were paying for negative returns, but I wanted to be careful when saying that because there was an Edition 8 owner among us? lol jk.
^^Oh AnakChan I have no idea. I just read that on pricejapan.com, it would be there http://kakaku.com/item/K0000297318/ but, hum, it's not.
But according to pricejapan.com lowest is ¥129,000. Perplexing. You could ask them, maybe they really are selling it at 129,000 to Japan located people. http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1117&category=10
I edited my post if that would happen to be an inaccuracy, and I'm sorry if it made you fall of your chair, lol. I did not make up that 129,000 though.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 1:05pm
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 2 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio cables - new thread for discussion, reviews, etc... 2 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 5 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 6 minutes ago
- › Buying a DAP? 6 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Modi Multibit 12 minutes ago
- › JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100 14 minutes ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 15 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 15 minutes ago
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by d8n0g
- › Bluedio T3 Plus (Turbine 3rd) Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Bluedio T3 (Turbine 3rd) Extra Bass Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...