- 5,752 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 7:07 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Fostex TH-600/900 replacement pads? Last post on Today at 8:21 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Paradox Slants as EndGame HP over everything else Last post on 9/12/14 at 12:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 10post #136 of 79423/3/12 at 9:10amMuppet, stores in JP are stocking them. I saw 2 on the shelves of e-earphone in Akiba on Friday.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 79423/3/12 at 9:20ampost #138 of 79423/3/12 at 9:27amNot in e-earphones but I tried them out in last year's Tokyo Headphone Festival & Jan's Headphone Amp Festival. Both time with my source.
Nice but hard to tell cos isolation isn't that great (at least to me) - without cranking up the volume too much. Personally to me, I'm happy enough with my Ed8 & I'm not certain if the gains are worth the extra ¥50,000 over the Ed8's.
Pls don't get me wrong, they are good.post #139 of 79423/3/12 at 9:53ampost #140 of 79423/3/12 at 10:15amProbably not a good idea for me to comment now as I've had a few drinks & I'm still in a club at the moment (!!) but...
Law of diminishing returns, mate . If I didn't have the Ed8's I'd probably consider getting these.
It's funny that after a certain thresh hold (whatever it may be for each individual), the price of headphones seem to increase dramatically with slightly less gains.
At least to me, the only exception is the SR-009's (driven by a decent amp).
P.S. I'm probably going to regret saying this publically when I'm more sober tomorrow morning.post #141 of 79423/3/12 at 10:27ampost #142 of 79423/3/12 at 10:27amQuote:
Aren't we all in clubs at 3 A.M. on Saturday nights?
Diminishing returns are like this (20 seconds in mspaint...)post #143 of 79423/3/12 at 10:53am
It's the Urushi lacquered wood that make this headphone costly (*and the 1.5 tesla... but that's plain obvious a technological advancement of a headphone is to cost more, that's why companies like Sennheiser release HD800, call it their flagship and make it their pride)(that will make up for the difference in price next to a Denon AH-D7000), about the difference in price between the Audio-Technica W5000 and the W3000ANV costlier, but a bit less because W3000ANV isn't strictly just a coated W5000.
The Urushi lacquer made from the sap of Rhus vernicifula, which is a native plant of the northeast Asian forest, has 10 layers applied by the hands of artisans and has to dry between each layer. It's a painstaking process, old of 6500+ years and is Japanese traditional, if not exclusive... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_lacquerware
But you knew that already.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 12:56pmpost #144 of 79423/3/12 at 10:56ampost #145 of 79423/3/12 at 11:07am
Eh, not exactly. A more accurate chart would have the price and performance curves be essentially mirror images of each other. Performance would increase sharply while price builds gradually. At the other end, performance would begin to level off, while price would skyrocket.post #146 of 79423/3/12 at 11:24am
Well it's a 20 second graph.
You can type Law of diminished returns on Google, it's a real phenomenon in economics.
Just like DaveBSC described, very accurately at that, lol
Except that we need to modify it a little to reflect the situation of most really high priced headphones, except maybe the Ultrasone 10 where you might really fall into the negative returns.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 12:59pmpost #147 of 79423/3/12 at 11:33am
Honestly the Edition 10 easily sounds better than the Edition 8, but the price turns it into a paperweight with little value.post #148 of 79423/3/12 at 12:09pmWow wow wow, @devouringone3,
Where did U find the TH900 for ¥129,000? I just checked Rakuten & Kakaku & the cheapest is ¥149,000!!
This could be whole different story (for me) if the TH900 can be purchased for that price!!post #149 of 79423/3/12 at 12:48pmQuote:
Not everything deserves to be at the top of the charts just because it may have a very high price. I don't think anyone would describe the ED10 as in the same league with the SR-009, HE90, or R10. Ultrasones in general seem to have absolutely no bearing of price v performance. It's more about plating each new headphone with a shinier metal than the last. $300 Beats headphones aren't even on the same planet with other $300 class headphones that were designed properly.post #150 of 79423/3/12 at 12:54pm
^Yep, that's what I implied when mentioning that with an Edition 10 you were paying for negative returns, but I wanted to be careful when saying that because there was an Edition 8 owner among us? lol jk.
^^Oh AnakChan I have no idea. I just read that on pricejapan.com, it would be there http://kakaku.com/item/K0000297318/ but, hum, it's not.
But according to pricejapan.com lowest is ¥129,000. Perplexing. You could ask them, maybe they really are selling it at 129,000 to Japan located people. http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1117&category=10
I edited my post if that would happen to be an inaccuracy, and I'm sorry if it made you fall of your chair, lol. I did not make up that 129,000 though.
Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/12 at 1:05pm
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 23 seconds ago
- › Sylvania 7236 37 seconds ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 55 seconds ago
- › Grado RS1i Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 4 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 5 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 6 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)