Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Closed headphone: Shure SRH840, ATH-M50?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Closed headphone: Shure SRH840, ATH-M50? - Page 4

post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunner View Post

Now, I may not be an "experienced" as other people, but I think you're just downing them for the sake of putting down the "noobs" imo. They're very solid headphones, it's not like they're beats or anything, sure they're more expensive now by like 20 bucks, but that's it. They're fun to listen to, and yea, they might not be THE BEST in their category, but they certainly are good.


No - he's not actually.  If you want an example - look at post #5 in this thread.  It's a classic example.  OP said he wanted a closed can for playing drum-kit - but was looking for balance.  I recommended HM5 as an alternative to the SRH840 because it is very balanced, closed and comfortable - but OP also asked for comparison of M50 and SRH840.  Poster #5 promptly came in, gave his "vote" to the the M50 and disappeared.  He had never heard the SRH840 or any other headphone that was mentioned.

 

This was typical of the M50 'hype' period.  They were (still are) a good can - for people looking for an all purpose headphone - if they are looking for a V shaped signature.  The problem was that while they were recommended to quite a few newcomers to the forums, a lot of the newcomers then came back and recommended them to everyone - regardless of the fact that they had often not heard any other comparable headphone - and most of the time they completely ignored what the original poster was asking for.  As more people got them - they drowned out more experienced posters who had other (and often better) alternatives to consider.  Consequently you got massive hype - that was continuously self-perpetuating.

 

If you want a laugh - look at the "typical head-fier Andy" thread - M50 gets mentioned quite a lot in there.

 

But if you like yours - enjoy them - your personal tastes are all that matter.  My own personal experience (I like a more balanced can) - they weren't overly comfortable (pads are awful), mids are recessed, and too V shaped for me.  I'll be interested to hear your comments on the M50 if/when you start trying other cans.

 

For anyone who enjoys a moderately V shaped signature, and looking for a closed can, with punchy bass and sparkly highs - yep they're still good in the sub $150 bracket.  Apparently the SRH840 pads can fit them which will make them more comfortable (plus the 840 pads will last longer).

post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post


No - he's not actually.  If you want an example - look at post #5 in this thread.  It's a classic example.  OP said he wanted a closed can for playing drum-kit - but was looking for balance.  I recommended HM5 as an alternative to the SRH840 because it is very balanced, closed and comfortable - but OP also asked for comparison of M50 and SRH840.  Poster #5 promptly came in, gave his "vote" to the the M50 and disappeared.  He had never heard the SRH840 or any other headphone that was mentioned.

 

This was typical of the M50 'hype' period.  They were (still are) a good can - for people looking for an all purpose headphone - if they are looking for a V shaped signature.  The problem was that while they were recommended to quite a few newcomers to the forums, a lot of the newcomers then came back and recommended them to everyone - regardless of the fact that they had often not heard any other comparable headphone - and most of the time they completely ignored what the original poster was asking for.  As more people got them - they drowned out more experienced posters who had other (and often better) alternatives to consider.  Consequently you got massive hype - that was continuously self-perpetuating.

 

If you want a laugh - look at the "typical head-fier Andy" thread - M50 gets mentioned quite a lot in there.

 

But if you like yours - enjoy them - your personal tastes are all that matter.  My own personal experience (I like a more balanced can) - they weren't overly comfortable (pads are awful), mids are recessed, and too V shaped for me.  I'll be interested to hear your comments on the M50 if/when you start trying other cans.

 

For anyone who enjoys a moderately V shaped signature, and looking for a closed can, with punchy bass and sparkly highs - yep they're still good in the sub $150 bracket.  Apparently the SRH840 pads can fit them which will make them more comfortable (plus the 840 pads will last longer).



 

I do have the SRH840's and they're great, the M50's make music more enjoyable for certain genres like more Electronic stuff and Indie, and the SRH840's make listening to lighter genres awesome. It just... differs. Also, yea I know people like to hype the M50's up, but that doesn't mean you should put the phones themselves down for it like what he was doing. It's like completely disregarding a certain videogame just because of it's notoriously annoying playerbase. 

post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Hmm I am actually thinking about getting a more powerfull portable player myself. The fiio e7 might be a nice addition to my iphone, but having two pretty large devices isn't that portable anymore.

 

What were you thinking about buying?

 


 

 

either the iPod Classic or the Cowon J3.

I can't afford to spend much higher!
And I'm waiting 'till March to see whether Apple gonna announce the successor to the Classic before pulling the trigger.

 

 

post #49 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo4588 View Post

either the iPod Classic or the Cowon J3.

I can't afford to spend much higher!
And I'm waiting 'till March to see whether Apple gonna announce the successor to the Classic before pulling the trigger.

 

 

 

I have the iphone, and the standard jack output isn't that good at all. I think I will buy the fiio e6 with a lin-out cable to bypass the internal amplifier. 

 

The fiio has about three times as much power as the internal iphone amp so it should be much better at powering the HD25-1 II.

 

The standard jack on the iphone is ok, but the bass isn't very powerful and tight, and there is a lot of detail missing overal.

 

 

 

 

post #50 of 79
Thread Starter 

I just did an AB(C) between the SRH840, the HD25-1 II and the HD650, before I return the SRH840.

 

And came to the conclusion that the SRH840 really sounds good, it scores slightly better overal than the HD25-1 II but I like the bass better on the HD25-1-II.

The HD25-1 II is also a bit more forward sounding, and better for vocals. And works suprisingly well with jazz (EST).

 

Neither can beat the airyness and awesome soundstage and detail of the HD650. Yet if I listen to a bass heavy song, I pick the HD25-1 II.

 

 

So byebye SRH840 I will not miss your sound since I have better, and will absolutely not miss your awkward fit.

post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

 

I have the iphone, and the standard jack output isn't that good at all. I think I will buy the fiio e6 with a lin-out cable to bypass the internal amplifier. 

 

The fiio has about three times as much power as the internal iphone amp so it should be much better at powering the HD25-1 II.

 

The standard jack on the iphone is ok, but the bass isn't very powerful and tight, and there is a lot of detail missing overal.

 

 

 

 

Yeah I Know!

If I go for the Classic I'll also get the iBasso T5 with the CB07 LOD.

That's why my DAP budget is fairly limited!
 

 

post #52 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo4588 View Post

Yeah I Know!

If I go for the Classic I'll also get the iBasso T5 with the CB07 LOD.

That's why my DAP budget is fairly limited!
 

 


That's a fairly expensive portable amp right? like 150 usd?

 

That is way outside my budget especially since I won't be able to use it for more than 20-30 minutes a day.

 

Do you think the iBasso T5 will be significantly better than the fiio e6?

 

post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post


That's a fairly expensive portable amp right? like 150 usd?

 

That is way outside my budget especially since I won't be able to use it for more than 20-30 minutes a day.

 

Do you think the iBasso T5 will be significantly better than the fiio e6?

 


The T5 is going for $169.

Usually the T5 is Pitted against the FiiO E11 so it is significantly better than the E6 I guess.

I'm saving up to get a new portable rig & I reckon I'll get it in a month or two.

 

 

post #54 of 79

I tried the SRH840 and own the M50s. The 840s sound VERY analytical, while the M50s sound more fun. I had the choice between the two, and chose the M50s. It's more enjoyable to listen to than the 840s.Most people may disagree with me, but this is my opinion. Both are excellent choices.

post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post


That's a fairly expensive portable amp right? like 150 usd?

 

That is way outside my budget especially since I won't be able to use it for more than 20-30 minutes a day.

 

Do you think the iBasso T5 will be significantly better than the fiio e6?

 



150 is not "fairly expensive".  If you want something cheaper than that then just don't get an amp. 

post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazBro123 View Post

I tried the SRH840 and own the M50s. The 840s sound VERY analytical, while the M50s sound more fun. I had the choice between the two, and chose the M50s. It's more enjoyable to listen to than the 840s.Most people may disagree with me, but this is my opinion. Both are excellent choices.



Actually... I mostly agree with your assessment. I found the 840 more 'neutral', not necessarily anylitical. To me the DT880, K701, etc., are anylitical. (Just semantics, nevermind). The M50 is on the punchy side of neutral, but still relatively natural.

The biggest issue for me with the 840 was the fit. It was just plain painful. Though I could have lived with the sound. But I actually 'like' the sound of the M50 more...

 

post #57 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post



150 is not "fairly expensive".  If you want something cheaper than that then just don't get an amp. 

 

It really is expensive, especially for an amp that won't be used for more than 20 minutes a day tops. Especially for a headphone that won't scale up much with better amp's (HD25-1 II).

And mostly while I already have a good amp, and dac at home.

 

I now have the fiio e6, it is very cheap but sounds much much better than the iphone amp. The HD25-1 II sounds a little more controlled on higher volumes (way too loud for public transportations)  on the fiio e9 but nothing significant.

 

post #58 of 79

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post



150 is not "fairly expensive".  If you want something cheaper than that then just don't get an amp. 

 

 

Respectfully disagree.

 

An amp in the $60.00 range, like the JDS Labs CMoy or Electric Avenues PA2V2

is well worth the investment when dealing with a portable rig.

post #59 of 79

Since my previous post, I kind of changed my views. So, I guess I should report them again. After listening to the SRH840s properly and after burn-in, I just couldn't go back to the ATH-M50's. Heres a thing I wrote on my thoughts about them here on the Head Gear section.

 

"These cans were decent, back when they were just above 100 bucks. They've inflated to 160 and that's just ridiculous. There is better in this price range. The SRH840's for example on eBay for 120~ bucks new, does everything better than these cans. The M50's have really punchy bass, and extremely stringent highs, they're very loose in the low end, and their mids are recessed. That combination makes for a fatally tiring listening experience. The pads are pleather and terribly uncomfortable, whilst having an almost starchy texture to them. The headband clamps onto larger heads and lacks decent padding underneath. These phones are also terrible in regards to any soundstage at all, which means for gaming, these will be pretty terrible. They do some... SOME... new genres alright, but their extremely aggressive presentation makes these phones just hard to listen to. They also can't do lighter genres like Jazz and Classical due to their poor positoning. There are much much better monitors in this price range than these, the Shure SRH840 as I've said before totally outclass these headphones in all areas.


The Head-Fi vets are right, stay away, don't fall victim to the hype."

 

 

 

 

It's a shame, I really wanted to like these cans, they were my first decent ones, but right from the start I just didn't. I acted like I did, but I think I was just telling myself that for moral support of my 140 bucks. 

post #60 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunner View Post

Since my previous post, I kind of changed my views. So, I guess I should report them again. After listening to the SRH840s properly and after burn-in, I just couldn't go back to the ATH-M50's. Heres a thing I wrote on my thoughts about them here on the Head Gear section.

 

"These cans were decent, back when they were just above 100 bucks. They've inflated to 160 and that's just ridiculous. There is better in this price range. The SRH840's for example on eBay for 120~ bucks new, does everything better than these cans. The M50's have really punchy bass, and extremely stringent highs, they're very loose in the low end, and their mids are recessed. That combination makes for a fatally tiring listening experience. The pads are pleather and terribly uncomfortable, whilst having an almost starchy texture to them. The headband clamps onto larger heads and lacks decent padding underneath. These phones are also terrible in regards to any soundstage at all, which means for gaming, these will be pretty terrible. They do some... SOME... new genres alright, but their extremely aggressive presentation makes these phones just hard to listen to. They also can't do lighter genres like Jazz and Classical due to their poor positoning. There are much much better monitors in this price range than these, the Shure SRH840 as I've said before totally outclass these headphones in all areas.


The Head-Fi vets are right, stay away, don't fall victim to the hype."

 

 

 

 

It's a shame, I really wanted to like these cans, they were my first decent ones, but right from the start I just didn't. I acted like I did, but I think I was just telling myself that for moral support of my 140 bucks. 

The SRH840 really is a good product, it may not be very portable but the sound is fantastic. I mean it wasn't much worse than the HD650 just a bit less airy sounding. That is pretty spectacular for a closed headphone that is very easily driven. 
If I had heard the SRH840 before I bought the HD650, I would have probably bought the SRH840 instead, and saved a couple of bucks on the amp.


 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Closed headphone: Shure SRH840, ATH-M50?