Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 Vs Beyerdynamic T1 in the studio.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 Vs Beyerdynamic T1 in the studio. - Page 2

post #16 of 67

i like 701s but they are inferior to t1 in almost every aspect.

they are just good for what they are. 

 

i like beyers in general yet not a big fan of t1s.

post #17 of 67

 btw, t1 looks single ended in that picture

post #18 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantsleep View Post

 btw, t1 looks single ended in that picture



The T1 in the photo are a balanced version with adapter 1/4 Neutrik plug connector.

post #19 of 67

oh, well.. they are just single ended then..

 

lucky you have a pair of headphones that would merely satisfy you.

post #20 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantsleep View Post

oh, well.. they are just single ended then..

 

lucky you have a pair of headphones that would merely satisfy you.



As I've mentioned, I was able to connect the T1 balanced via the Phonitor balanced out. But you'll need to lower the volume level of the player before you push play. basshead.gif 

post #21 of 67

I always appreciate more detailed comparisons and opinions, hence why I very much welcome your write up and opinions. I would however argue that the T1's are anything but bass heavy, in-fact, the sub bass is actually a little on the light side. The mid bass is absolutely spot on. It's more probable that the  K702's are just bass light.

 

Naturally they might be a tad more revealing if the bass is so light in extension, point is, this would not be an "accurate" sound as far as studio use is concerned. You'd add bass in the studio until it had punch correlating to the K702's, only to try the same track with the vast majority of other headphones (especially commercially popular one's) only to find the same track far too bass bloated.

post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

The T1s are far from "bassy" headphones. the measurements prove it. They are not Monster Beats or Bose bassy heavy headphones by any stretch. The K701s are just too anemic to be used as a standard for "accuracy". Sorry I don't get your argument here. And the colouration from 6kHz to 10kHz is far more damaging to the details on the recording than a tight 10kHz spike on the T1s.

 


It depends where you're coming from. If you listen to Monster Beats and Car Stereos all day then the T1 will seem very bass shy. I'm coming from the DT880 which I consider to be my flat mastering headphones; I find the K70x -2db in bass and the T1 +2db, again this is compared with the DT880. For neutral purposes I would take the K70x over the T1.

 

I am far from a K70x fan but agree with Acix that the T1s are far too colored to be considered neutral.

post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post


It depends where you're coming from. If you listen to Monster Beats and Car Stereos all day then the T1 will seem very bass shy. I'm coming from the DT880 which I consider to be my flat mastering headphones; I find the K70x -2db in bass and the T1 +2db, again this is compared with the DT880. For neutral purposes I would take the K70x over the T1.

 

I am far from a K70x fan but agree with Acix that the T1s are far too colored to be considered neutral.


And the tin like treble on the DT880/600s is what killed them for me. The K701s are just a too lacking for me in many areas to consider as even a viable mid-fi solution IME. Funny how we all have different opinions of "neutral". tongue.gif

 

There's only like a 1 dB difference between the DT880s and T1s with regards to bass impact (hard to tell...I know, it was tough when I had them both for a few months). But the K701s are more like 5dB.

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2033&graphID[]=2751

 


Edited by MacedonianHero - 2/14/12 at 5:33pm
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


And the tin like treble on the DT880/600s is what killed them for me. The K701s are just a too lacking for me in many areas to consider as even a viable mid-fi solution IME. Funny how we all have different opinions of "neutral". tongue.gif

 

There's only like a 1 dB difference between the DT880s and T1s with regards to bass impact (hard to tell...I know, it was tough when I had them both for a few months). But the K701s are more like 5dB.

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2033&graphID[]=2751

 


I think it quite normal to have a difference of opinion over "neutral", lets back track a few years prior to the new breed of $1,000+ headphone. The DT880 were considered neutral and a good headphone to build a system around, and today they're referred too as "tin like"? I suppose coming from the Sony XB500 I would consider the D7000s to have tin like treble, again it depends where your definition of neutral sits.

 

What Acix is referring too is that mastering is harder with a headphone that has coloration, I'll be the first to say a dead-neutral headphone with no coloration would be very dull for music. If a headphone has elevated bass and you're trying to match levels it can be frustrating, I couldn't do it on my D7000s, T1, or similar bass-boosted phone but could with a DT880 or K70x.

 

What I find interesting is that whenever the T1s are referred too as colored or bass-boosted there are certain people quick to respond with insults and fables, as-if enjoying a colored phone is somehow insulting them?

post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

...What I find interesting is that whenever the T1s are referred too as colored or bass-boosted there are certain people quick to respond with insults and fables, as-if enjoying a colored phone is somehow insulting them?


I openly can admit that the T1 is coloured. But I think the way the bass is slightly impactful and how the treble is so lively, make for the best headphone I have yet to hear, and does perfect with my genre of choice (electronica). Though I can't say it *bass heavy*, its far from that at all, the bass extends quite deep, but in no way can it compare to something like the D7000 or LCD-2.


Edited by Swatcsi - 2/14/12 at 10:00pm
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

What I find interesting is that whenever the T1s are referred too as colored or bass-boosted there are certain people quick to respond with insults and fables, as-if enjoying a colored phone is somehow insulting them?


Dude, how would you feel if someone commented that your $1k+ dollar headphone was inferior at mastering than a $250 dollar headphone. I mean a $1K headphone should excel in every single possible way, right?? rolleyes.gif

 

post #27 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post

I always appreciate more detailed comparisons and opinions, hence why I very much welcome your write up and opinions. I would however argue that the T1's are anything but bass heavy, in-fact, the sub bass is actually a little on the light side. The mid bass is absolutely spot on. It's more probable that the  K702's are just bass light.

 

Naturally they might be a tad more revealing if the bass is so light in extension, point is, this would not be an "accurate" sound as far as studio use is concerned. You'd add bass in the studio until it had punch correlating to the K702's, only to try the same track with the vast majority of other headphones (especially commercially popular one's) only to find the same track far too bass bloated.



I didn't say the T1 is a bass heavy hps...for most of parts I enjoyed the boost of the T1 bass, but a boost is not so accurate for studio use, for my mastering job I find the K702 to work better.

 

Some of the commercially hps add more bass, and I think this why people buy those hps ...they just want to hear more bass, and for them more bass mean better sound.

 

In the studio the K-702 are reference to my speaker monitors, is mean that I can work on the hps and adjust the micro details in the sound stage, but the main reference will still be my speakers. After this process done, you can take your final mix to the car stereo, living room floor speakers, or whatever you consider to be the most commercially popular one's and check your mix again there with the added coloration of those stereo systems.

 

Either way is best to check your mix on many systems as you can.

 

 


Edited by Acix - 2/15/12 at 5:04pm
post #28 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosk View Post

 $1K headphone should excel in every single possible way, right?? rolleyes.gif

 


Not necessary... more money is not always equal to a better output performance, because not everyone will agree on the same better performances.

 

post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post


Not necessary... more money is not always equal to a better output performance, because not everyone will agree on the same better performances.

 



i think he was being sarcastic :)

 

i think it is sometimes good to be colored.

i always thought that he90s were somewhat colored and i liked it.

post #30 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantsleep View Post




i think it is sometimes good to be colored.

i always thought that he90s were somewhat colored and i liked it.



Agree, sometimes is more fun colored, but just for a period of short time. k701smile.gif


Edited by Acix - 2/15/12 at 5:02pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 Vs Beyerdynamic T1 in the studio.