Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › REVIEW: Ray Samuels Emmeline Dark Star Fully Balanced Headphone Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Ray Samuels Emmeline Dark Star Fully Balanced Headphone Amp - Page 2

post #16 of 295

Nice review! Any word on how it pairs with the PS1000? How about a T1?

post #17 of 295

It pairs very well with all high impedance headphones. For more efficient and low impedance headphones like Denon, Ultrasone and JVC/RCA it is too powerful even at the low gain setting so you have not much rotation of the volume knob to play with.

post #18 of 295

I know not many consider the LCD-2 high impudence but how bout the LCD-2 or 3?

post #19 of 295

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawaiiancerveza View Post

I know not many consider the LCD-2 high impudence but how bout the LCD-2 or 3?


Wow.  Did you even read the review?

post #20 of 295

Haha I skipped over the part about the LCD-2.  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle View Post

Quote:


Wow.  Did you even read the review?



 

post #21 of 295

He is a genius!

post #22 of 295
Thread Starter 

Maybe you missed the part where I said, "Ray Samuels personally builds and tests each Dark Star over a four-day period." He uses mostly American made parts, including the chassis. That's why it costs what it costs. Ray also offers lots of less expensive amps.

post #23 of 295

A beautiful amp.  This will be the competitor product that the Schiit Statement amp will be judged against.  I love the Dark Star.  What a shame that there isnt a local demo unit somewhere within a 100 miles.  Lucky for my wallet at least.

 

One comment that really got my attention was that the HE500 felt more immediate and direct than the LCD3.  That is a big call from $2k to $699.

 

My HE6 long for a Dark Star.  Dont know how long I can hold out.....

post #24 of 295

 

Steve, what source(s) were you using when listening to the Dark Star?

post #25 of 295

If it weren't $700 more than my upcoming Cavalli LF I would give it serious consideration, but damn that's a big chunk of change. 

 

I really want to hear it though. Then again, I might forget all about it when I hear some Stax at the upcoming Austin meet...

post #26 of 295
:pThe Dark Star is $3495 and the Liquid Fire is $3250 for a difference of $245. You must have got a great price on the Liquid Fire.
post #27 of 295

I did. wink.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Addict View Post

:pThe Dark Star is $3495 and the Liquid Fire is $3250 for a difference of $245. You must have got a great price on the Liquid Fire.


 

 

post #28 of 295

I second that! Budget components are best I can do for now.

post #29 of 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Addict View Post

:pThe Dark Star is $3495 and the Liquid Fire is $3250 for a difference of $245. You must have got a great price on the Liquid Fire.


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I did. wink.gif
 



 

 



 

 

Steve, He is in Austin just like Alex (LiquidFire). He probably got the old price plus a little discount for being local.

 

Grat dealing job MorbidToaster!biggrin.gif

I had a LF for demo in my house and after the burn-in period I really liked it BUT I personally think it just marginally powers the HE-6. With the rest of headphones it is exceptional but with the HE-6 the DS is ahead IMO.

post #30 of 295

I don't doubt that, and if I owned an HE 6 I'd probably go for the DS, but after hearing the LCD 2 synergy for myself via the LF...I had to have one.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 

 

Steve, He is in Austin just like Alex (LiquidFire). He probably got the old price plus a little discount for being local.

 

Grat dealing job MorbidToaster!biggrin.gif

I had a LF for demo in my house and after the burn-in period I really liked it BUT I personally think it just marginally powers the HE-6. With the rest of headphones it is exceptional but with the HE-6 the DS is ahead IMO.



 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › REVIEW: Ray Samuels Emmeline Dark Star Fully Balanced Headphone Amp