or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 - Cracked and Solved!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 - Cracked and Solved!!! - Page 2

post #16 of 47
Thread Starter 

I should add to the above that after receiving the silver/gold hybrid cable and with the Triad L3 going out on its first trip. I went to a Sony Style shop as I had wanted to try how the L3 will do driving a pair of Cans, as the last time I was there, the Cowon X7 could out push the MDR ZX1000 to an acceptable level even at full volume. The Sony shop is closest to me to at least try a pair of half decent headphones .

 

The Triad had no trouble and it was too loud at 12 o'clock, having said that the ZX is a 24ohm(?!) headphone.

 

But more interestingly, the W4 sounded much better in every aspect than the ZX 1000 even in the bass!!! I really do not know that much about full headphones but had the impression that it was in the bass that the difference was most noticeable? 

 

 

post #17 of 47
Thread Starter 

Short Photo Essay:-

 

IMG_0292.JPG

 

IMG_0293.JPG

 

IMG_0294.JPG

 

IMG_0295.JPG

 

IMG_0296.JPG

 

Enjoyblink.gif...They look very good!! Excellent Job Westone.......

 

Now tell me the stock cable is not strangling the life out of these awesome BAwink_face.gif!!!

 

 


Edited by spkrs01 - 2/26/12 at 4:01am
post #18 of 47

Nice pics, did you glue the housing back together?

post #19 of 47
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

Nice pics, did you glue the housing back together?


I didn't do it, I have no such technical know-howconfused_face_2.gif. It is a service that I only found out about the day I started this thread!

 

I reiterate that once I found out about this cracking service, my W4 was handed over within 2 minutes. It took 20 mins and I have not regretted it sincebigsmile_face.gif, as the W4 are so stunning in sound! 

 

I handed the W4 over so quickly because I was so disappointed with the sound on stock cable!!! 


Edited by spkrs01 - 2/26/12 at 6:20pm
post #20 of 47

Cool, I didn't know there was a place that did that

post #21 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

Cool, I didn't know there was a place that did that



 

Yeah, it exists in Hong Kong. To be honest, I think he is the only one! He does every IEM that is available, so that is a thought. 

 

With the W4, when I spoke to him yesterday, he said that my one were the 4th that he did and went on to show me pictures of the other 3.

 

Having had my W4 cracked, I will now proceed to buy a pair of W4R in a few weeks time, I am a sucker for aesthetics! I will use it at home with the Cracked ones for out and about.

 

In all honesty, the W4 with a different cable is so stunningly awesome, that it is definitely, at this moment in time, my reference. I do have a US500+ experimental silver/gold hybrid cable attached to it thoughtongue_smile.gif.

 

 

post #22 of 47

How about a reshell lol.

post #23 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

How about a reshell lol.



That is a viable solution but you lose the integrity of what Westone is trying to achieve with the W4. As simple as that! Reshell, get a custom IEM!

 

post #24 of 47

I have seen your pair in another thread and decided to do some research and landed here :D

You got these done in Hong Kong? can I have any contact person of the one who did them?

post #25 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rianchaos View Post

I have seen your pair in another thread and decided to do some research and landed here :D

You got these done in Hong Kong? can I have any contact person of the one who did them?



Yes, done in Hong Kong.

 

I am not in Hong Kong at the moment and do not have details with me.....will get back to you in about two weeks. Cheers

post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post



Yes, done in Hong Kong.

 

I am not in Hong Kong at the moment and do not have details with me.....will get back to you in about two weeks. Cheers



Hey there!  So this might be a tiny bit off topic but...

 

I live in HK and I have a bit of a problem:  Someone sat on my pair of Westone 2 and it broke one of the stems clean off.  Westone is only offering an out-of-warranty replacement which is going to cost $125 USD + $40 USD in shipping.  I can't quite stomach that because basically there's nothing wrong with my pair now besides the fact I can't physically wear one of them.

 

I'm reluctant to try gluing it back together myself and I would much rather find a professional to do it.  I'm not even sure how well glue will work as it is a pretty thin stem and the little silver filter thing also fell out (I still have it).  Do you think this cracking service can handle something like this? I'd appreciate any details you might be able to provide on contacting these guys.  

 

 

 


Edited by Ahgama - 3/8/12 at 12:44am
post #27 of 47
Thread Starter 


I think you may need a reshell but the guy should offer this service!

 

Can you PM me? 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahgama View Post



Hey there!  So this might be a tiny bit off topic but...

 

I live in HK and I have a bit of a problem:  Someone sat on my pair of Westone 2 and it broke one of the stems clean off.  Westone is only offering an out-of-warranty replacement which is going to cost $125 USD + $40 USD in shipping.  I can't quite stomach that because basically there's nothing wrong with my pair now besides the fact I can't physically wear one of them.

 

I'm reluctant to try gluing it back together myself and I would much rather find a professional to do it.  I'm not even sure how well glue will work as it is a pretty thin stem and the little silver filter thing also fell out (I still have it).  Do you think this cracking service can handle something like this? I'd appreciate any details you might be able to provide on contacting these guys.  

 

 

 



 

post #28 of 47

Does that make the Westone 4 sound brighter? I have the 4R and seriously hate the dark sound of it. 

post #29 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

Does that make the Westone 4 sound brighter? I have the 4R and seriously hate the dark sound of it. 



HI, I have a silver/gold hybrid cable attached it.

 

My set up is a Cowon X7( to be replaced by a DX100 early next week ) > a silver/gold 3.5mm to RCA cable > Triad L3 > silver/gold cables > W4 > Sony Sleeves

 

20120308_184913.jpg

 

It really is an amazing set up even if I say so myself.....No darkness at all!!

 

I was listening to Sting just now, the theme to Lethal Weapons, "It's Probably Me" after over 15 years listening to this song, today is the first time that I realized that there is a striking of a match all the way through the song......it's positioned "left eye brow"  

 

I am blown away by how good the W4 are! They are just so revealing and resolving, unbelievable!

 

I listened to the JH13 and the JH16 on Sunday, I loved the JH13 but.....to me, my W4 with the silver/gold hybrid cable sounds better than the JH16. The bass was deeper and more textured on my W4 combo. Mids were similar and the highs I would say the 16s were a little sweeter.

 

I can't wait until I receive the the K3003 next month, it will be at a retail level the same price..........  

 

post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post



HI, I have a silver/gold hybrid cable attached it.

 

My set up is a Cowon X7( to be replaced by a DX100 early next week ) > a silver/gold 3.5mm to RCA cable > Triad L3 > silver/gold cables > W4 > Sony Sleeves

 

20120308_184913.jpg

 

It really is an amazing set up even if I say so myself.....No darkness at all!!

 

I was listening to Sting just now, the theme to Lethal Weapons, "It's Probably Me" after over 15 years listening to this song, today is the first time that I realized that there is a striking of a match all the way through the song......it's positioned "left eye brow"  

 

I am blown away by how good the W4 are! They are just so revealing and resolving, unbelievable!

 

I listened to the JH13 and the JH16 on Sunday, I loved the JH13 but.....to me, my W4 with the silver/gold hybrid cable sounds better than the JH16. The bass was deeper and more textured on my W4 combo. Mids were similar and the highs I would say the 16s were a little sweeter.

 

I can't wait until I receive the the K3003 next month, it will be at a retail level the same price..........  

 



I see, that's cool. Maybe changing cables really helps change the sound by a fair margin. Well, I preferred the JH13s over the 16s, because the 16s have waaay to much bass for me. The K3003 are pretty good too, though the bass is also too much for me, but do take my words with a grain of salt since I even find the W4s to have too much bass. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 - Cracked and Solved!!!