New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IEMs for rock/metal lover - Page 2

Poll Results: IEMs for rock/metal while commuting

 
  • 9% (3)
    Brainwavz M2
  • 3% (1)
    Ultimate Ears 500
  • 6% (2)
    Ultimate Ears 600
  • 6% (2)
    Panasonic Zirconia HJE900
  • 75% (24)
    Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10
32 Total Votes  
post #16 of 44

No amp needed with the 3 I mentioned. 

post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulliverse View Post


Tis true. I can't speak for the HJE900, but the GR07s handle rock / metal drums better than anything I've heard. In turn, the FXT90s handle guitar crunch better than anything I've heard. You can't go wrong with either. 

 

As stated, the FX700s also fit the bill, though what you gain in treble and bass quantity / quality, you lose in overall usability.

 

All 3 (HJE-900/GR07/FXT90) are the obvious choices for the OP requests.

 

FX700 are excellent as well BUT don't isolate enough to be used in traffic, even with Ts-500 Comply foams, so I didn't mention them.

I personnaly don't like TF10s, mids are disappointing for a triple BA, they're ugly and oversized. Not saying they're bad, but there's a real chance that the OP won't like the sound signature and that fit could be an issue.
 

 


Edited by tienbasse - 2/11/12 at 1:27pm
post #18 of 44

Actually, for the price, I would strongly recommend the UE 700s over the tf10.

 

Before I become flamebait, let me explain why: the UE 700 has a nice, punchy bottom end, which is great for speed - the kind of drumming OP is most likely to be listening to with metal. The mids are strong, but the best part in my opinion are the highs...extremely sparkly. Having heard/owned the TF10, MTPC, UE 700, RE 272 and the UM Miracles, I find the UE 700 treble to be the among the best. The only earphones that have better highs (that too, not by a large margin) are the RE 272s and the Miracles. Bass is the opposite of bloaty and very suitable for the music that OP listens to. Plus, they are insanely comfortable. I had them with Sony Hybrids on and used to forget that I was wearing them.

 

Also, I'm assuming that since OP is going to do a blind buy without audition, I DO NOT recommend the TF10 because of the fit issues. They may fit in fine at first, but if you have anything smaller than large ear canals, they HURT after half an hour. That is the reason why I had to return my pair. This is not a problem for someone buying from Amazon or an auth. retailer, as you can do a return, but I'm not so sure about ebay sellers/retailers in India.

post #19 of 44

tf10s, done

post #20 of 44
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by varyV View Post

Actually, for the price, I would strongly recommend the UE 700s over the tf10.

 

Before I become flamebait, let me explain why: the UE 700 has a nice, punchy bottom end, which is great for speed - the kind of drumming OP is most likely to be listening to with metal. The mids are strong, but the best part in my opinion are the highs...extremely sparkly. Having heard/owned the TF10, MTPC, UE 700, RE 272 and the UM Miracles, I find the UE 700 treble to be the among the best. The only earphones that have better highs (that too, not by a large margin) are the RE 272s and the Miracles. Bass is the opposite of bloaty and very suitable for the music that OP listens to. Plus, they are insanely comfortable. I had them with Sony Hybrids on and used to forget that I was wearing them.

 

Also, I'm assuming that since OP is going to do a blind buy without audition, I DO NOT recommend the TF10 because of the fit issues. They may fit in fine at first, but if you have anything smaller than large ear canals, they HURT after half an hour. That is the reason why I had to return my pair. This is not a problem for someone buying from Amazon or an auth. retailer, as you can do a return, but I'm not so sure about ebay sellers/retailers in India.

 

 

 

Hello  varyV,

 

I had the UE 700 in mind but due to the fact that there wasn't much of a price difference between them and the TF10, I did not consider it. Moreover, I'd thought that the 700 was very bland and flat sounding without much energy (I did not read much reviews about it- only some random user opinions) and weren't going to be very enjoyable to listen to.

Also, I think the 700-s are pretty overpriced- it's dangerously close to what the FXT90 or the HJE900-s cost- even after adding the duties. That said, I really wish I could audition one!! regular_smile%20.gif

 

You are right- there aren't any good brick and mortar stores in India where you can try out individual 'phones and check out the fit and comfort levels. For anything good beyond the average Sony, Creatives or Klipsch 'phones, there is no option but to order them online- a blind buy as you rightly said.

 

I'd read about the TF10's large shells..but I didn't think that the comfort was an issue till you highlighted the point. Is the comfort all right when you're just sitting and listening on the bus? Did your ears hurt after just sitting and listening or while you were walking /exercising?

I don't walk around with in-ears on- I think it's pretty unsafe blink.gif

 

 

post #21 of 44

The 700s are overpriced, unless you can get a good deal on them. If you had a bigger budget and an amp, I would have recommended the Hifiman re-272s, which I think are great for rock n' roll and metal. An amp is imperative for the 272s and since you do not carry one around, this rules them out. The UE 700s are the closest earphones to these I can think of in that price range, apart from the Brainwaves B2s, which also have similar characteristics. Anyways, I have often found out the hard way that what may be suitable to one person for a particular genre may not be suitable for another. I would strongly recommend playing it safe with earphones that you can listen to before buying.

 

About the TF10s, I got a pair on the black friday sale for ~$100, which I thought was a good deal. Personally, I thought the sound quality wasn't all that impressive for a top tier earphone (I have owned the MTPC, RE 272 and the W4). Don't get me wrong, the quality is a steal for ~$100, but if you can get it for that price. Having said that, the fit was okay at first and even though they look like you have tumors growing out of your ears, I could have lived with that. The problem lies with the sound tube, which is fat as ****. It seems okay for the first five minutes, then the irritation creeps in. By the end of 15 minutes, my ears were hot and aching to get the earphones out. Before someone recommends me soft tips, I should mention that I have tried the sony hybrids, the complys and modified olives to no avail. Again, a lot of people may not have these problems because of the way their ears canals are shaped, I certainly did not think that these were worth keeping around even at the sale price. Returned.

 

Regarding the question of sitting around/walking, this was all sitting down, chilling on the couch. Can't imagine wearing these all day long, being all hot and bothered.

 

Also, it would help the recommendations more if you could project what kind of signature you like more: a brighter, treble happy one, or a darker one with a more looming lower end.

post #22 of 44

yeah get the triple fi 10s, they have the best drum reproduction i have ever heard, it isn't very boomy on the low end but drums sound very articulate and poppy. also bass guitars really sound great on the triple fi 10s because the bass is slightly emphasized, but it isnt poor quality at all, so when there is a bass guitar playing, you don't get rumblings as you normally would be only able to hear with lower quality IEMs

post #23 of 44

This really isn't a fair comparison, I mean the tf10's are in a complete league of their own (edit: compared to the others) and as good as the M2's are they can't compete with something 6 times the price. I think the only UE argument worth noting would be 700's vs tf10's but then with the price so near it's not really worth it. Also, here's one that I think you should consider (don't know about by): HiFiMan RE-0's (They're not as bass-less as some reviewers make them sound).

post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravefire View Post

This really isn't a fair comparison, I mean the tf10's are in a complete league of their own (edit: compared to the others) and as good as the M2's are they can't compete with something 6 times the price. I think the only UE argument worth noting would be 700's vs tf10's but then with the price so near it's not really worth it. Also, here's one that I think you should consider (don't know about by): HiFiMan RE-0's (They're not as bass-less as some reviewers make them sound).


I have always been interested in the re0s myself, but the suspect build quality has always been disconcerting 

 

post #25 of 44

Good gravy, what about under $100? As much as i'd like to one day no way am i spending 2 bills on an IEM right now, might as well get the HD-25 which some say have great isolation and are some of the best for metal period.

post #26 of 44

RE-0's. Can't recommend them enough.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrozombie View Post

Good gravy, what about under $100? As much as i'd like to one day no way am i spending 2 bills on an IEM right now, might as well get the HD-25 which some say have great isolation and are some of the best for metal period.



 

post #27 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by varyV View Post

.........Also, it would help the recommendations more if you could project what kind of signature you like more: a brighter, treble happy one, or a darker one with a more looming lower end.


I'm not too good at describing sound- I'm still a noob. I think I'd said something about what I like on the low, mids and highs of sound in my original post. I like aggressive and energetic sounding 'phones- it should make me enjoy my music. Is that of any help for you to recommend me a good pair? If not, I'll try to elaborate.. My apologies for being so laymanish..

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravefire View Post

This really isn't a fair comparison, I mean the tf10's are in a complete league of their own (edit: compared to the others) and as good as the M2's are they can't compete with something 6 times the price. I think the only UE argument worth noting would be 700's vs tf10's but then with the price so near it's not really worth it. Also, here's one that I think you should consider (don't know about by): HiFiMan RE-0's (They're not as bass-less as some reviewers make them sound).


As good as the M2's? Do you mean the Brainwavz M2? Is it that good?

On the contrary, the RE0 was my first choice. But, I was doubtful whether my smartphone could drive it well, its really neutral sound as reviewers say (I'd like an energetic performer) and the suspicious build quality (again, as per reviews). The RE0's pretty cheap compared to all of them except the M2, and the UE500.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqueh View Post


I have always been interested in the re0s myself, but the suspect build quality has always been disconcerting 

 



Somewhat of a turnoff for me too (even though I have never seen, heard or touched one- I'm drawing conclusions on basis of reviews). It wouldn't have mattered if I were to use them at home, but while commuting- you never know. However, I treat my gear well- my Ep630-s are over four years old & still kickin - and they have been frequently criticized for their flimsy cables.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrozombie View Post

Good gravy, what about under $100? As much as i'd like to one day no way am i spending 2 bills on an IEM right now, might as well get the HD-25 which some say have great isolation and are some of the best for metal period.



Do you mean the Sennheiser HD25? Isn't that supposed to be like really top end stuff?

post #28 of 44
Thread Starter 

Guys, what about the Shure SE215 and the UE 500? I've spotted an okay deal for the SE215 on ebay and the UE500's cost half of what I'll have to pay for the Shure.

How do they sound? Are they suitable for rock and metal?

post #29 of 44

Er... I meant to say that M2's are pretty good for the price, but tf10's are just way better (and it's not fair to compare the two because really, tf10's cost 6 times as much)... Sorry if I didn't clarify that enough the first time.

 

Shure SE 215's have a reasonable amount of bass; there isn't too much about the UE500 here because it's not as hi-fi (that and a lot of people don't like the flat cord - it's like the one on Beats). I really can't speak for the UE500/600 (If any, I'd only consider the 600 and 700) so I can't assure they're really good with rock or metal (600's are Balanced Armature's so they're more analytical than "fun", that's about all I can say)

post #30 of 44

FXT90 sound really good for that genre.

joker stated he likes EX1000 and EX600 for rock.


Edited by olear - 2/13/12 at 9:09am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: