My recommendation would be, as others have suggested, the Beyer DT1350s. I'm completely in love with these portables. They weren't even on my radar, but I read Tyll's (Inner Fidelity) glowing review of them from last year and figured I'd give them a shot. I wanted to have a better quality pair of portables to take back and forth to work. Since I picked them up, I've been reaching for them a LOT. Not a day has gone by that I haven't used them at home in addition to using them when I'm out and about. They sound fantastic even out of just my iPhone, the isolation is very good, the overall presentation is very balanced and natural, and I LOVE the bass. To get such amazing QUALITY of bass in portables and at this price point results in a very high level of satisfaction from the purchase decision...they're flat down to below 10 hz. They have the perfect amount of clamp and the ear cushions keep my ears very cool, which is something that is important to me. I can't stand it when the material makes my ears hot or causes me to sweat...these are just beautiful headphones, IMO. I don't know if it's of interest, but they also come with a really nice little carrying case that facilitates their portability even more. I can't recommend them more highly.
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for my perfect set of cans Last post on 8/8/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Accurate/Neutral Sounding Headphones for Recording, Mixing, Tracking and General Listening for... Last post on 7/3/12 at 2:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$ Last post on 7/31/11 at 2:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
I have owned this headphone for 2 years and it never disappointed me. The sound quality is no need to discuss as its sound signature has been discussed multiple times in TH900 thread. This...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Somewhat Frustrated!!!!!!!! - Page 2post #16 of 176/25/12 at 3:32am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 177/1/12 at 8:03amQuote:Originally Posted by liamstrain
Is sound isolation important to you? (ie. will you be listening in noisy environments, or those where other people hearing your music leaking from your headphones, would be an issue?)
Also, will you be adding an amplifier into your portable or home system - or will you be running it from the headphone out of the devices listed?
Ultimately, at the price range you have some very good closed portable options:
Sennheiser HD25-1 II, VModa M-80, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Audio-Technical ATH-ESW9 - all of these isolate well, and can run off your devices without an amplifier
You also have some extremely good open (and a few closed) full size headphones.
Sennheiser HD598, Senn HD600 (sometimes at this price), Beyerdynamic DT 990 and 880, Grado 325i, AKG K702/Q701 and K550, Denon D2000 (sometimes), ATH-A900 and many others. Some of these will be fine without an amp, others not so much.
I own the ATH-ESW9 and they are great phones for vocal songs because of its midrange. The sound signature is very addictive, I now find my Triple.fi 10's rather boring to listen to now. However they do NOT isolate well, you will hear exterior noises and undoubtably at higher volumes the people around you will hear what you are listening to too. Tried the Beyerdynamic DT1350's and Sennheiser HD25-1 II's at a local store and would say I'd prefer the Sennheiser's a tad bit more, but all of this is just me :)
- Somewhat Frustrated!!!!!!!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 18 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10 42 seconds ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Dac/Amp combo for Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm. $150 budget... 2 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Out 1000 USB Dac and Headphone Amp 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 4 minutes ago
- › The scientific merit of Pono 5 minutes ago
- › compare monoprice 8320 and Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)