My recommendation would be, as others have suggested, the Beyer DT1350s. I'm completely in love with these portables. They weren't even on my radar, but I read Tyll's (Inner Fidelity) glowing review of them from last year and figured I'd give them a shot. I wanted to have a better quality pair of portables to take back and forth to work. Since I picked them up, I've been reaching for them a LOT. Not a day has gone by that I haven't used them at home in addition to using them when I'm out and about. They sound fantastic even out of just my iPhone, the isolation is very good, the overall presentation is very balanced and natural, and I LOVE the bass. To get such amazing QUALITY of bass in portables and at this price point results in a very high level of satisfaction from the purchase decision...they're flat down to below 10 hz. They have the perfect amount of clamp and the ear cushions keep my ears very cool, which is something that is important to me. I can't stand it when the material makes my ears hot or causes me to sweat...these are just beautiful headphones, IMO. I don't know if it's of interest, but they also come with a really nice little carrying case that facilitates their portability even more. I can't recommend them more highly.
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for my perfect set of cans Last post on 8/8/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Accurate/Neutral Sounding Headphones for Recording, Mixing, Tracking and General Listening for... Last post on 7/3/12 at 2:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$ Last post on 7/31/11 at 2:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've owned the Sennheiser Momentum for about a year now. Though it is aesthetically pleasing, and very sturdy overall, I can honestly say that it isn't worth the $300. I enjoyed the mids, which...
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
Somewhat Frustrated!!!!!!!! - Page 2post #16 of 176/25/12 at 3:32am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 177/1/12 at 8:03amQuote:Originally Posted by liamstrain
Is sound isolation important to you? (ie. will you be listening in noisy environments, or those where other people hearing your music leaking from your headphones, would be an issue?)
Also, will you be adding an amplifier into your portable or home system - or will you be running it from the headphone out of the devices listed?
Ultimately, at the price range you have some very good closed portable options:
Sennheiser HD25-1 II, VModa M-80, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Audio-Technical ATH-ESW9 - all of these isolate well, and can run off your devices without an amplifier
You also have some extremely good open (and a few closed) full size headphones.
Sennheiser HD598, Senn HD600 (sometimes at this price), Beyerdynamic DT 990 and 880, Grado 325i, AKG K702/Q701 and K550, Denon D2000 (sometimes), ATH-A900 and many others. Some of these will be fine without an amp, others not so much.
I own the ATH-ESW9 and they are great phones for vocal songs because of its midrange. The sound signature is very addictive, I now find my Triple.fi 10's rather boring to listen to now. However they do NOT isolate well, you will hear exterior noises and undoubtably at higher volumes the people around you will hear what you are listening to too. Tried the Beyerdynamic DT1350's and Sennheiser HD25-1 II's at a local store and would say I'd prefer the Sennheiser's a tad bit more, but all of this is just me :)
- Somewhat Frustrated!!!!!!!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 seconds ago
- › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer 23 seconds ago
- › Hifiman EF-5 headphone amplifier mods and rolls 35 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › DX90 X3 NWZ-ZX1 Which one? or something different 2 minutes ago
- › how to know mv output 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)