My recommendation would be, as others have suggested, the Beyer DT1350s. I'm completely in love with these portables. They weren't even on my radar, but I read Tyll's (Inner Fidelity) glowing review of them from last year and figured I'd give them a shot. I wanted to have a better quality pair of portables to take back and forth to work. Since I picked them up, I've been reaching for them a LOT. Not a day has gone by that I haven't used them at home in addition to using them when I'm out and about. They sound fantastic even out of just my iPhone, the isolation is very good, the overall presentation is very balanced and natural, and I LOVE the bass. To get such amazing QUALITY of bass in portables and at this price point results in a very high level of satisfaction from the purchase decision...they're flat down to below 10 hz. They have the perfect amount of clamp and the ear cushions keep my ears very cool, which is something that is important to me. I can't stand it when the material makes my ears hot or causes me to sweat...these are just beautiful headphones, IMO. I don't know if it's of interest, but they also come with a really nice little carrying case that facilitates their portability even more. I can't recommend them more highly.
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for my perfect set of cans Last post on 8/8/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$ Last post on 7/31/11 at 2:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Accurate/Neutral Sounding Headphones for Recording, Mixing, Tracking and General Listening for... Last post on 7/3/12 at 2:53am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction So a little a bit myself, I am a semi-audiophile. It means that I listen to "normal" song and audiophile song kind of 50:50. During my commute to work I listen to "normal" song such...
Thank You's and Sorries A big thank David Maudlin for sending me the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio to me back in late May and I apologise that it's taken me 3 months to put something up about...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Somewhat Frustrated!!!!!!!! - Page 2post #16 of 176/25/12 at 3:32am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 177/1/12 at 8:03amQuote:Originally Posted by liamstrain
Is sound isolation important to you? (ie. will you be listening in noisy environments, or those where other people hearing your music leaking from your headphones, would be an issue?)
Also, will you be adding an amplifier into your portable or home system - or will you be running it from the headphone out of the devices listed?
Ultimately, at the price range you have some very good closed portable options:
Sennheiser HD25-1 II, VModa M-80, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Audio-Technical ATH-ESW9 - all of these isolate well, and can run off your devices without an amplifier
You also have some extremely good open (and a few closed) full size headphones.
Sennheiser HD598, Senn HD600 (sometimes at this price), Beyerdynamic DT 990 and 880, Grado 325i, AKG K702/Q701 and K550, Denon D2000 (sometimes), ATH-A900 and many others. Some of these will be fine without an amp, others not so much.
I own the ATH-ESW9 and they are great phones for vocal songs because of its midrange. The sound signature is very addictive, I now find my Triple.fi 10's rather boring to listen to now. However they do NOT isolate well, you will hear exterior noises and undoubtably at higher volumes the people around you will hear what you are listening to too. Tried the Beyerdynamic DT1350's and Sennheiser HD25-1 II's at a local store and would say I'd prefer the Sennheiser's a tad bit more, but all of this is just me :)
- Somewhat Frustrated!!!!!!!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 1 second ago
- › Alpha Dogs and AK Jr 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015! 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › Need headphones for under 15$ 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FXT90 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Retina iPad Mini (First Gen Retina) 4 minutes ago
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2