Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D2000's worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AH-D2000's worth it?

post #1 of 111
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, I'm new here and I joined because recently my Beats (I know, they're heavily frowned upon in the audiophile community) finally broke for good. I had the Studios and got them back in 2009. They stopped working recently and I've been dying using my iPod headphones, so I want to get a new pair asap. I've heard a lot of good things about the Denon AH-D2000's. They don't look as nice as Beats but really, I've made myself realize how little time I'd actually spend looking at them. And plus, you buy headphones for the sound, not the looks. If only I'd realized that when I got my Beats... they weren't necessarily bad, in fact I loved them, but if there's much better headphones out there then I don't know why I'd spend $300 for another pair of Beats when I could get a better pair for the same price or less.

 

So anyway, are the Denon's worth it? I mainly listen to pop, hip hop, dance, and a small mix of other genres. 

 

Also I've heard that they (and other headphones) work better with an amp, well I'm probably not going to fork out ~$80 for an amp so if these are useless without one then just let me know now. 

post #2 of 111

They sound just fine without an amp.

 

Do you plan on leaving the house with them, or are they strictly for in-house use? They don't really clamp, so they are ill-suited for walking around. Not to mention they are huge, so you might get some looks. If you are just going to use them in-doors, they should be perfect for you.

post #3 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuk View Post

They sound just fine without an amp.

 

Do you plan on leaving the house with them, or are they strictly for in-house use? They don't really clamp, so they are ill-suited for walking around. Not to mention they are huge, so you might get some looks. If you are just going to use them in-doors, they should be perfect for you.



They will sound significantly better though with an amp.There are pretty decent alternatives out there as well that are affordable yield amazing performance. The O2 amp from JDS Labs is one of them.

 

DIY for $100.00 or get a assembled unit for $150.00. Well worth the price IMO.

 

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

post #4 of 111
I recently auditioned the denon d2000s and honestly there's no way I could go outside with them. They would probably just slide off, there's no clamping power.
post #5 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1TCH3D View Post

I recently auditioned the denon d2000s and honestly there's no way I could go outside with them. They would probably just slide off, there's no clamping power.


Not to mention the mile long cable lol.

post #6 of 111

Yes, the D2K are absolutely worth it, and yes, they will sound awesome without an amp. I mean, they will sound awesomer with an amp, but an amp is certainly not necessary in order to enjoy them. Also, I think the D2K pair-off especially well with the genres you listed, considering their robust bass and sparkly clean highs.

 

However, unlike your Beats, the D2Ks are not headphones you want to be moving around/being active in; they are way too big, cumbersome, loose fitting, cables way too huge. Simply put, they were designed solely for stationary listening [ie not for riding around with on your bike, walking, etc]. If you need headphones for anything besides sitting down at a one spot with, I strongly recommend finding a pair suited for more 'active' use.

post #7 of 111

Fiio E10 Dac/amp goes well with them. (D2k)

post #8 of 111

Are they worth it? You betcha!!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595088/just-got-denon-d2000s

post #9 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuk View Post

They sound just fine without an amp.

 

Do you plan on leaving the house with them, or are they strictly for in-house use? They don't really clamp, so they are ill-suited for walking around. Not to mention they are huge, so you might get some looks. If you are just going to use them in-doors, they should be perfect for you.


 

The only place I really listen to music is yeah, at home. I never brought my Beats anywhere public, the sound leaked so it wasn't really convenient. I'm sure these probably leak sound too though.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandrkg View Post

Yes, the D2K are absolutely worth it, and yes, they will sound awesome without an amp. I mean, they will sound awesomer with an amp, but an amp is certainly not necessary in order to enjoy them. Also, I think the D2K pair-off especially well with the genres you listed, considering their robust bass and sparkly clean highs.

 

However, unlike your Beats, the D2Ks are not headphones you want to be moving around/being active in; they are way too big, cumbersome, loose fitting, cables way too huge. Simply put, they were designed solely for stationary listening [ie not for riding around with on your bike, walking, etc]. If you need headphones for anything besides sitting down at a one spot with, I strongly recommend finding a pair suited for more 'active' use.


 

Yeah, like I said above, it'd be mostly home use. I just use my iPhone headphones when I work out. 

 

-

 

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll definitely need to consider these.

post #10 of 111

hmm now i kind of want to try these. but i should probably enjoy what i have first. too early to take the plunge

post #11 of 111

I know isn't that lust to upgrade just evil... Classic case of headfi-upgradeitis. rolleyes.gif

post #12 of 111
No clamping power? How does it stay on your head, just with gravity and the headband?
post #13 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post

No clamping power? How does it stay on your head, just with gravity and the headband?


It kinda rests on your skull, very comfortable to wear. I mean its not as loose as some make it out to be but I wouldn't feel right running down the street with them on though.

post #14 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post



It kinda rests on your skull, very comfortable to wear. I mean its not as loose as some make it out to be but I wouldn't feel right running down the street with them on though.

It depends on how big your head is too. Mine is a bit narrower than the average head and if I tilt my head back they would probably slide off
For home use they're great because they're comfy.
post #15 of 111

the d2000s do have a very loose fit. It's one of my chief complaints. It's what makes them so comfortable though and something I can certainly live with.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D2000's worth it?