- 14 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 518tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bass Headphones Last post on 1/9/12 at 3:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?post #1 of 412/9/12 at 6:18pmThread StarterI have the hd518 as of now, and a fiio e11 to go with them. They are my firt set of cans and i am new to audio, but i already want something better. I listen to a variety of music, particularly 80's music(rock, pop, new wave). My budget is about 500, not including a new amp. Any suggestions?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 412/9/12 at 8:52pmpost #3 of 412/9/12 at 9:17pm
If you like rock with big guitars, you might want to consider the Grado line. They may be more of a side-step than an upgrade, but damn they make rock albums sound awesome. However, they do leak a lot of sound and don't have as nice a soundstage as the Sennheisers (or at least the ones I've owned/tried). If you can find a place to try them, look into the SR225i.post #4 of 412/9/12 at 10:44pmpost #5 of 412/9/12 at 10:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by Avada kedavra
I have the hd518 as of now, and a fiio e11 to go with them. They are my firt set of cans and i am new to audio, but i already want something better. I listen to a variety of music, particularly 80's music(rock, pop, new wave). My budget is about 500, not including a new amp. Any suggestions?
Fiio E9 (or even E10) should get you started.
Very best,post #6 of 412/9/12 at 11:03pm
I bought a pair of Sennheiser 518s a few months ago, which was my first pair of decent headphones, as well. I picked up a few more entry level models from a few companies I was most interested in, and I ended up really falling for the Grado SR80is. I still want to hear some BeyerDynamics and hifiman models, but so far the Grado sound is really to my liking. I felt the 518s were too muddy in the low end, whereas the grados are much more crisp (though they don't play as deep). I also love the airy openness of the Grados, as well.post #7 of 412/10/12 at 12:08pmThread StarterThanks for the input! I am leaning toward the hd600 or beyerdynamic dt880. Ive also looked into the grado sr325is but i dont listen to rock all the time. What amp would be good with the hd600 or dt880?post #8 of 412/10/12 at 12:58pm
The Fiio will work, if you feel the need to spend more, CI Audio is a good choice. Beyond that, Musical Fidelity, Grace, PS Audio.
For the genres you're looking at, I'd preference the AKG K701 over the HD600 - but that's me.Quote:post #9 of 412/10/12 at 1:02pmThread StarterThanks! I will look into that as well. But some have said vocals sound far away, i kind of like intimacy but i have never heard the k701 so ill give it a listen. So far i have only listened to hd518, hd598, hd800, rs2i, 225i, and hd650. I absolutely love the hd800 but im only 16 and dont have that much. Has anyone heard the he400?post #10 of 412/10/12 at 1:32pm
I don't think the HE400 is available yet.
As far as the K701 and vocals being "far away" - I disagree with that claim. If you want in-your-face though, get a Grado or Sony.Quote:Originally Posted by Avada kedavra
Thanks! I will look into that as well. But some have said vocals sound far away, i kind of like intimacy but i have never heard the k701 so ill give it a listen. So far i have only listened to hd518, hd598, hd800, rs2i, 225i, and hd650. I absolutely love the hd800 but im only 16 and dont have that much. Has anyone heard the he400?post #11 of 412/10/12 at 1:43pmThread Starterpost #12 of 412/10/12 at 1:51pmpost #13 of 412/10/12 at 2:06pmpost #14 of 412/10/12 at 2:16pmThread StarterThey (q701) go for 250 on amazon, which are barely more than the k701/2, so looks like ive got a new headphone to buy! Thanks guys. My source is a cowon j3 in all .wav, along with the e11 will these sound good?post #15 of 412/10/12 at 2:18pmQuote:
Yes. The E11 will handle it. The Q701 is the way to go in the AKG "70x" series if you actually like music (hehe).
- New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP 7 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 18 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 25 seconds ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 6 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 6 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 6 minutes ago
- › Need Advice for a major Headphone Upgrade 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear