- 14 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 518tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bass Headphones Last post on 1/9/12 at 3:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger (1200 x 800) images, click any pictureINTRODUCTION A lot of you will see the style and information with this review as being pretty similar to the one I did on the AM2. And the reality...
Brainwavz IntroABOUT USBrainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range of...
Sound Blaster X G5 The Gaming device with everything* we asked for A Little Context The G5 is part of Creative's "Blaster X" gamer focused line, cued after the name of the X7. I loved the...
Intro TL;DR: The Brainwavz XF200 is, in and of itself, an excellent sports IEM that will go the extra mile with you and then some. Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora...
I must first and foremost give a large and heartfelt thank you to secondipity for reaching out to me and asking if I would be interested in reviewing some products offered by them. This is...
New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?post #1 of 412/9/12 at 6:18pmThread StarterI have the hd518 as of now, and a fiio e11 to go with them. They are my firt set of cans and i am new to audio, but i already want something better. I listen to a variety of music, particularly 80's music(rock, pop, new wave). My budget is about 500, not including a new amp. Any suggestions?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 412/9/12 at 8:52pmpost #3 of 412/9/12 at 9:17pm
If you like rock with big guitars, you might want to consider the Grado line. They may be more of a side-step than an upgrade, but damn they make rock albums sound awesome. However, they do leak a lot of sound and don't have as nice a soundstage as the Sennheisers (or at least the ones I've owned/tried). If you can find a place to try them, look into the SR225i.post #4 of 412/9/12 at 10:44pmpost #5 of 412/9/12 at 10:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by Avada kedavra
I have the hd518 as of now, and a fiio e11 to go with them. They are my firt set of cans and i am new to audio, but i already want something better. I listen to a variety of music, particularly 80's music(rock, pop, new wave). My budget is about 500, not including a new amp. Any suggestions?
Fiio E9 (or even E10) should get you started.
Very best,post #6 of 412/9/12 at 11:03pm
I bought a pair of Sennheiser 518s a few months ago, which was my first pair of decent headphones, as well. I picked up a few more entry level models from a few companies I was most interested in, and I ended up really falling for the Grado SR80is. I still want to hear some BeyerDynamics and hifiman models, but so far the Grado sound is really to my liking. I felt the 518s were too muddy in the low end, whereas the grados are much more crisp (though they don't play as deep). I also love the airy openness of the Grados, as well.post #7 of 412/10/12 at 12:08pmThread StarterThanks for the input! I am leaning toward the hd600 or beyerdynamic dt880. Ive also looked into the grado sr325is but i dont listen to rock all the time. What amp would be good with the hd600 or dt880?post #8 of 412/10/12 at 12:58pm
The Fiio will work, if you feel the need to spend more, CI Audio is a good choice. Beyond that, Musical Fidelity, Grace, PS Audio.
For the genres you're looking at, I'd preference the AKG K701 over the HD600 - but that's me.Quote:post #9 of 412/10/12 at 1:02pmThread StarterThanks! I will look into that as well. But some have said vocals sound far away, i kind of like intimacy but i have never heard the k701 so ill give it a listen. So far i have only listened to hd518, hd598, hd800, rs2i, 225i, and hd650. I absolutely love the hd800 but im only 16 and dont have that much. Has anyone heard the he400?post #10 of 412/10/12 at 1:32pm
I don't think the HE400 is available yet.
As far as the K701 and vocals being "far away" - I disagree with that claim. If you want in-your-face though, get a Grado or Sony.Quote:Originally Posted by Avada kedavra
Thanks! I will look into that as well. But some have said vocals sound far away, i kind of like intimacy but i have never heard the k701 so ill give it a listen. So far i have only listened to hd518, hd598, hd800, rs2i, 225i, and hd650. I absolutely love the hd800 but im only 16 and dont have that much. Has anyone heard the he400?post #11 of 412/10/12 at 1:43pmThread Starterpost #12 of 412/10/12 at 1:51pmpost #13 of 412/10/12 at 2:06pmpost #14 of 412/10/12 at 2:16pmThread StarterThey (q701) go for 250 on amazon, which are barely more than the k701/2, so looks like ive got a new headphone to buy! Thanks guys. My source is a cowon j3 in all .wav, along with the e11 will these sound good?post #15 of 412/10/12 at 2:18pmQuote:
Yes. The E11 will handle it. The Q701 is the way to go in the AKG "70x" series if you actually like music (hehe).
- New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › Alpha & Delta D2 Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO... 3 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 3 minutes ago
- › My first post in head-fi 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256) 5 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO AM5 - High Power Amplifier Module for X7 by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Truss - The All Metal Under Desk Dual Headphone Hanger... by Wokei
- › Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G5 by Evshrug
- › Brainwavz XFIT XF-200 In-Ear Sport Earbuds Noise Isolating... by thatBeatsguy
- › SONY MDRZX330BT/B Sony MDR ZX330BT - Headset - on-ear - wireless -... by Army-Firedawg
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by grizzlybeast
- › Schiit Gungnir by Aornic
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by meringo
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Aerosphere
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by FortisFlyer75
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse