- 14 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701GRN Quincy Jones Signature Over the Ear Headphone (Green)tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD-518tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bass Headphones Last post on 1/9/12 at 3:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Studio headphone help from those more Head-Fi sly than I. Last post on 12/17/11 at 1:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?post #1 of 412/9/12 at 6:18pmThread StarterI have the hd518 as of now, and a fiio e11 to go with them. They are my firt set of cans and i am new to audio, but i already want something better. I listen to a variety of music, particularly 80's music(rock, pop, new wave). My budget is about 500, not including a new amp. Any suggestions?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 412/9/12 at 8:52pmpost #3 of 412/9/12 at 9:17pm
If you like rock with big guitars, you might want to consider the Grado line. They may be more of a side-step than an upgrade, but damn they make rock albums sound awesome. However, they do leak a lot of sound and don't have as nice a soundstage as the Sennheisers (or at least the ones I've owned/tried). If you can find a place to try them, look into the SR225i.post #4 of 412/9/12 at 10:44pmpost #5 of 412/9/12 at 10:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by Avada kedavra
I have the hd518 as of now, and a fiio e11 to go with them. They are my firt set of cans and i am new to audio, but i already want something better. I listen to a variety of music, particularly 80's music(rock, pop, new wave). My budget is about 500, not including a new amp. Any suggestions?
Fiio E9 (or even E10) should get you started.
Very best,post #6 of 412/9/12 at 11:03pm
I bought a pair of Sennheiser 518s a few months ago, which was my first pair of decent headphones, as well. I picked up a few more entry level models from a few companies I was most interested in, and I ended up really falling for the Grado SR80is. I still want to hear some BeyerDynamics and hifiman models, but so far the Grado sound is really to my liking. I felt the 518s were too muddy in the low end, whereas the grados are much more crisp (though they don't play as deep). I also love the airy openness of the Grados, as well.post #7 of 412/10/12 at 12:08pmThread StarterThanks for the input! I am leaning toward the hd600 or beyerdynamic dt880. Ive also looked into the grado sr325is but i dont listen to rock all the time. What amp would be good with the hd600 or dt880?post #8 of 412/10/12 at 12:58pm
The Fiio will work, if you feel the need to spend more, CI Audio is a good choice. Beyond that, Musical Fidelity, Grace, PS Audio.
For the genres you're looking at, I'd preference the AKG K701 over the HD600 - but that's me.Quote:post #9 of 412/10/12 at 1:02pmThread StarterThanks! I will look into that as well. But some have said vocals sound far away, i kind of like intimacy but i have never heard the k701 so ill give it a listen. So far i have only listened to hd518, hd598, hd800, rs2i, 225i, and hd650. I absolutely love the hd800 but im only 16 and dont have that much. Has anyone heard the he400?post #10 of 412/10/12 at 1:32pm
I don't think the HE400 is available yet.
As far as the K701 and vocals being "far away" - I disagree with that claim. If you want in-your-face though, get a Grado or Sony.Quote:Originally Posted by Avada kedavra
Thanks! I will look into that as well. But some have said vocals sound far away, i kind of like intimacy but i have never heard the k701 so ill give it a listen. So far i have only listened to hd518, hd598, hd800, rs2i, 225i, and hd650. I absolutely love the hd800 but im only 16 and dont have that much. Has anyone heard the he400?post #11 of 412/10/12 at 1:43pmThread Starterpost #12 of 412/10/12 at 1:51pmpost #13 of 412/10/12 at 2:06pmpost #14 of 412/10/12 at 2:16pmThread StarterThey (q701) go for 250 on amazon, which are barely more than the k701/2, so looks like ive got a new headphone to buy! Thanks guys. My source is a cowon j3 in all .wav, along with the e11 will these sound good?post #15 of 412/10/12 at 2:18pmQuote:
Yes. The E11 will handle it. The Q701 is the way to go in the AKG "70x" series if you actually like music (hehe).
- New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Android phones and USB DACs 1 minute ago
- › Singapore Head-Fi Meet 8th December 2013 [Pictures] 2 minutes ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 2 minutes ago
- › [Impression] FiiO X3 – High Fi, Low Price. 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › 2013 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange 4 minutes ago
- › If I have a external DAC, will connecting it to a PC soundcard do... 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe