- 14 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 2/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD-518tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bass Headphones Last post on 1/9/12 at 3:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Prior to owning the Ref 1, Tralucent Audio was primarily known to me for it Uber cable as well as its silver/gold cable. I own both cables terminated for Fitear customs. I have had the Ref 1...
Introduction – As the current flagship of the young company Brainwavz, the R3 has a quite a lot on its shoulders. Utilizing a relatively new dual-dynamic driver configuration, uncommon with most...
Disclaimer: a. I am in no way affiliated with Fiio b. The X1 audition was a part of a world tour audition. c. There is no monetary or in kind gain due to the audition. With the disclaimer...
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?post #1 of 412/9/12 at 6:18pmThread StarterI have the hd518 as of now, and a fiio e11 to go with them. They are my firt set of cans and i am new to audio, but i already want something better. I listen to a variety of music, particularly 80's music(rock, pop, new wave). My budget is about 500, not including a new amp. Any suggestions?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 412/9/12 at 8:52pmpost #3 of 412/9/12 at 9:17pm
If you like rock with big guitars, you might want to consider the Grado line. They may be more of a side-step than an upgrade, but damn they make rock albums sound awesome. However, they do leak a lot of sound and don't have as nice a soundstage as the Sennheisers (or at least the ones I've owned/tried). If you can find a place to try them, look into the SR225i.post #4 of 412/9/12 at 10:44pmpost #5 of 412/9/12 at 10:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by Avada kedavra
I have the hd518 as of now, and a fiio e11 to go with them. They are my firt set of cans and i am new to audio, but i already want something better. I listen to a variety of music, particularly 80's music(rock, pop, new wave). My budget is about 500, not including a new amp. Any suggestions?
Fiio E9 (or even E10) should get you started.
Very best,post #6 of 412/9/12 at 11:03pm
I bought a pair of Sennheiser 518s a few months ago, which was my first pair of decent headphones, as well. I picked up a few more entry level models from a few companies I was most interested in, and I ended up really falling for the Grado SR80is. I still want to hear some BeyerDynamics and hifiman models, but so far the Grado sound is really to my liking. I felt the 518s were too muddy in the low end, whereas the grados are much more crisp (though they don't play as deep). I also love the airy openness of the Grados, as well.post #7 of 412/10/12 at 12:08pmThread StarterThanks for the input! I am leaning toward the hd600 or beyerdynamic dt880. Ive also looked into the grado sr325is but i dont listen to rock all the time. What amp would be good with the hd600 or dt880?post #8 of 412/10/12 at 12:58pm
The Fiio will work, if you feel the need to spend more, CI Audio is a good choice. Beyond that, Musical Fidelity, Grace, PS Audio.
For the genres you're looking at, I'd preference the AKG K701 over the HD600 - but that's me.Quote:post #9 of 412/10/12 at 1:02pmThread StarterThanks! I will look into that as well. But some have said vocals sound far away, i kind of like intimacy but i have never heard the k701 so ill give it a listen. So far i have only listened to hd518, hd598, hd800, rs2i, 225i, and hd650. I absolutely love the hd800 but im only 16 and dont have that much. Has anyone heard the he400?post #10 of 412/10/12 at 1:32pm
I don't think the HE400 is available yet.
As far as the K701 and vocals being "far away" - I disagree with that claim. If you want in-your-face though, get a Grado or Sony.Quote:Originally Posted by Avada kedavra
Thanks! I will look into that as well. But some have said vocals sound far away, i kind of like intimacy but i have never heard the k701 so ill give it a listen. So far i have only listened to hd518, hd598, hd800, rs2i, 225i, and hd650. I absolutely love the hd800 but im only 16 and dont have that much. Has anyone heard the he400?post #11 of 412/10/12 at 1:43pmThread Starterpost #12 of 412/10/12 at 1:51pmpost #13 of 412/10/12 at 2:06pmpost #14 of 412/10/12 at 2:16pmThread StarterThey (q701) go for 250 on amazon, which are barely more than the k701/2, so looks like ive got a new headphone to buy! Thanks guys. My source is a cowon j3 in all .wav, along with the e11 will these sound good?post #15 of 412/10/12 at 2:18pmQuote:
Yes. The E11 will handle it. The Q701 is the way to go in the AKG "70x" series if you actually like music (hehe).
- New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Looking for some "fun" all-around IEMs 2 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 13 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K702 Impressions. 4 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair... 5 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kiats
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Audiophile1811
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)