Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 39

post #571 of 5135

Hey guys,

 

I upgraded to a Galaxy S3 two weeks back and man this phone is nice! The audio output from it was a little lack luster though, so I tried my HeadStreamer with a OTG cable. Man oh man this things sounds nice now! I never knew a cell phone could sound this good from a simple DAC!

 

My new portable rig is now the Samsung Galaxy S3 > HeadStreamer > DT1350

 

Time to try some other DAC's, but where to start?

post #572 of 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hey guys,

I upgraded to a Galaxy S3 two weeks back and man this phone is nice! The audio output from it was a little lack luster though, so I tried my HeadStreamer with a OTG cable. Man oh man this things sounds nice now! I never knew a cell phone could sound this good from a simple DAC!

My new portable rig is now the Samsung Galaxy S3 > HeadStreamer > DT1350

Time to try some other DAC's, but where to start?

Are you saying that the S3 provide enough power for the HeadStreamer? Have you notice how fast your battery is draining? I'm planning on trying my Dacport but with a powered USB hub.

Keeping the UD100 for portable. biggrin.gif
post #573 of 5135

Hi,

 

Yes the S3 has more then enough juice, though the battery does drain faster. It dropped by 10% in an hour, but normally it's about 7-8% per hour. Otherwise everything is good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post


Are you saying that the S3 provide enough power for the HeadStreamer? Have you notice how fast your battery is draining? I'm planning on trying my Dacport but with a powered USB hub.
Keeping the UD100 for portable. biggrin.gif
post #574 of 5135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Time to try some other DAC's, but where to start?

Check out DanBa's post in the Android USB audio thread, lists the DACs that are known to work with the S3.

If you've got a US S3 the HeadAmp Pico is very nice, I have one, but now shopping around for a new solution since it doesn't work with my Note 2 (just pre-ordered the Intruder from RSA, also getting the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII). Lots of possibilities.
post #575 of 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hey guys,

 

I upgraded to a Galaxy S3 two weeks back and man this phone is nice! The audio output from it was a little lack luster though, so I tried my HeadStreamer with a OTG cable. Man oh man this things sounds nice now! I never knew a cell phone could sound this good from a simple DAC!

 

My new portable rig is now the Samsung Galaxy S3 > HeadStreamer > DT1350

 

 

Any compact USB cable made specifically for Galaxy S III / Galaxy Note II / Android OTG device?

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Time to try some other DAC's, but where to start?

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/555#post_8792243

post #576 of 5135
Custom Stoner Acoustics UD100 based on 24-bit ESS Sabre conversion chip:
 
Samsung Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> custom UD100 cable >> amp >> headphones
 
 

 

 

 
Samsung Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> UD100 USB DAC >> Pico Slim amp >> FitEar TO GO! 334 
 
 
 

 

 
Samsung Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> HeadStage USB DAC cable >> RSA Protector amp >> JH Audio JH13
 
post #577 of 5135

Sorry to be a little OT. Today I did a test of Apple's Lighting MicroUSB adapter with VentureCraft's MicroUSB <-> MicroUSB & a USB DAC/Amp but that didn't work.


 

So to stick to the topic, if anyone's interested in these VentureCraft MicroUSB <-> MicroUSB cable, do PM me. I bought 2 and can't use them. They're 10cm in length.

post #578 of 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Sorry to be a little OT. Today I did a test of Apple's Lighting MicroUSB adapter with VentureCraft's MicroUSB <-> MicroUSB & a USB DAC/Amp but that didn't work.



So to stick to the topic, if anyone's interested in these VentureCraft MicroUSB <-> MicroUSB cable, do PM me. I bought 2 and can't use them. They're 10cm in length.

AnakChan, Is that the cable you mentioned in post 531? So it works as a one cable solution for connecting dacs and amp/dacs to the gs3 right? Can you direct me to the ordering page? Thanks.
post #579 of 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post


AnakChan, Is that the cable you mentioned in post 531? So it works as a one cable solution for connecting dacs and amp/dacs to the gs3 right? Can you direct me to the ordering page? Thanks.

As I understood, he is selling his 2 cables, so pm him.

post #580 of 5135

I am planning to get a headstage lyrix pro total USB tomorrow:

http://www.headphonia.com/Amps/Headstage-Lyrix-Pro-USB-total::10071.html

 

Has anyone tested whether this will work with the Note 2 or not?

Thanks!


Edited by Rockin_Zombie - 10/21/12 at 5:29pm
post #581 of 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post


VentureCraft is selling their short microUSB<->microUSB cable (10 cm in length) pretty much specifically for the Galaxy S3 <-> Go-DAP X :-

http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_jp/

(Scroll to the 2nd item of the news).

 
I posted a picture of the setup with the cable on post #324. It's now in production.They're not cheap though at Y1980 (USD$25.10).

Is this cable OTG capable or will it only work on phones with innate OTG capability? Because this would be really cool for those who don't have OTG natively but don't want to mess around with the default flavor of Android in their phone.

Oh, and if yes I'll by one as soon a you can send an invoice. tongue.gif
Edited by BBEG - 10/21/12 at 5:41pm
post #582 of 5135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post


Is this cable OTG capable or will it only work on phones with innate OTG capability? Because this would be really cool for those who don't have OTG natively but don't want to mess around with the default flavor of Android in their phone.
Oh, and if yes I'll by one as soon a you can send an invoice. tongue.gif

 

The phones have to support OTG, it cannot be added by a cable. OTG support itself is a software thing though, and has been added to many phones whose manufacturers did not grace them with the capability.

post #583 of 5135
Does the software solution require rooting and flashing or is it as simple as an app download?
post #584 of 5135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post

Does the software solution require rooting and flashing or is it as simple as an app download?

 

Unfortunately it requires Root and flashing custom kernels, cannot be done as simply as an app download.

post #585 of 5135
Thread Starter 

For those interested in a male:male USB OTG cable I just purchased this one that was linked to earlier: http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/micro-to-micro-otg

 

 

 

Will be good for use with the Leckerton when I get it. I like how they've colour-coded the host end.

 

Still hunting for one that will connect to the Intruder as a single cable though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs