I used S5 > UAPP > USB > FIIo 6 > behringer uca202.
Should I use ViperFX or the stock music thing?
Dragonfly on Samsung Galaxy S5 most unstable
Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 4.4.2
Micro to USB OTG cable from Hama, both 2.0 and 3.0
Apps: TuneIn, Spotify, UAPP and various specialized radio and videocasts
IE Grado Gr10, Grado R1, Koss Porta Pro
Symptom: sometimes it works (very fine) but mostly the sound is 'broken' and low sounding, as from a tape played much slower than normal.
Sometimes it helps to restart the smartphone, but not always. Sometimes, 3-4 restarts (with Dragonfly plugge in or after restart) remain unsuccessfull.
Dragonfly works fine on workstation.
Keybord works fine wiht OTG cable on phone.
- pluging OTG cable into phone, short notification USB connected
- pluging keybord into OTG cable: steady notification keybord connected (small symbol in status line)
- pluging Dragonfly into OTG cable: no notification
- pluging Dragonfly and OTG cable together into phone: short notification USB connected
Color of the Dragonfly while connecting: green for half a second then magenta.
Just now, after so much pluging in and out, works just fine with all mentioned apps, although the Dragonfly does still not appear in the notification bar. Success is just unpredictalbe and happens too seldom...
My hypothesis: the Dragonfly recognizes the GS5 as 24/92 capable and expects upsampled files, which the phone does not always deliver.
My expectation: that the Dragonfly waits for the file to settle to a standard (and internal clock). A configuration menu for the phone output would aslo introduce some flexibility.
Does somebody have an idea, how I could increase chances that the setup works as soon as I plug the DAC into the phone?
P.S. Reading this forum was already very helpful. Thanks to all.
In order to have a clear understanding of the problem, I think you should focus on testing your setup with UAPP because:
1. the USB audio soft driver is reputedly the best USB audio implementation (more precisely better than the Galaxy S5's native USB audio feature used by other music players like Spotify or stock music player of the S5)
2. UAPP doesn't perform any resampling:
16/44.1 music file > S5 using UAPP > 16/44.1 PCM stream >> DragonFly >> headphones
24/96 music file > S5 using UAPP > 24/96 PCM stream >> DragonFly >> headphones
3. the UAPP developer can be contacted.
"Make sure to connect your audio device [DragonFly] BEFORE starting USB Audio Player PRO." (Connecting the USB DAC to the Android device will trigger the activation of the USB host driver, then attached/used by the USB audio soft driver of UAPP).