how to use the Fiio e17 with an android phone like the samsung galaxy ones ? I know people have asked this before but I can't seem to find a definite answer, I know I need an OTG cable, which I already have btw but what do I need more?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- USB DAC recommendation???? Last post on 6/13/12 at 8:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- Can two DACs interfere with each other? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:59pm in Computer Audio
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 5/16/15 at 5:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC of Sony Xperia S Last post on 8/27/13 at 12:57am in Portable Source Gear
- Samsung galaxy nexus Last post on 11/17/12 at 10:30pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Was hoping Schiit would cover Modi under warranty since it died just 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Android phones and USB DACs - Page 344post #5146 of 86538/2/14 at 5:12am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5147 of 86538/2/14 at 5:28amQuote:
Plug you OTG cable to the E17 and you phone like this:
Set the E17 to USB mode and depending on your Android version, all the audio from your phone should be streamed across to the E17 at 16/48k.post #5148 of 86538/2/14 at 5:32amQuote:
Which Samsung Galaxy?
The FiiO E17 is reportedly working with Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3.
It can't work with a Galaxy S2, because the S2 doesn't have a functional USB host feature.Quote:
"Plug & Play, if every USB audio-required component is functional:
. Required software
It depends on your Android device: native USB Audio (i.e. USB audio-enabled Android device) or eXtream USB audio (i.e. USB host-enabled Android device with the USB Audio Player PRO app available on Google Play store).
. Required hardware: Android device, compatible USB DAC, USB OTG cable
The Android device should be a USB On-The-Go (OTG) device, i.e. sometimes a USB host device sometimes a USB peripheral device.
The USB DAC should be a standard USB DAC compliant with PC or Mac.
A USB OTG cable is needed to connect an Android device to a standard USB DAC.
A USB OTG cable is just a USB cable with a "pin 4-connected to-pin 5" micro USB plug, so that the OTG-featured Android device can be configured to USB host mode, able to interwork with a USB peripheral like a USB DAC." [FAQ]post #5149 of 86538/2/14 at 6:03am
Shame since I have the S2 :(
But honestly I was planning on using it more with my tablet which is the tab pro 10.1... I think someone said it worked with the note 2014 which is kinda the same tablet but with more ram so I'm guessing it would work with the tab pro too?Quote:
Weird for some reason it doesn't work on my tab that easily :/
Edited by CannonCollector - 8/2/14 at 6:27ampost #5150 of 86538/3/14 at 4:01pmpost #5151 of 86538/3/14 at 5:11pmQuote:
If I understand the situation correctly, not quite. It seems Google was a bit trigger-happy with their announced baked-in support for USB DACs in Android L, and the early reports from people with Android L seem to be a bit of a step back for devices that previously supported USB audio. Looks like you'll still need to find a device that's been confirmed to work before purchasing; we're not quite to the point where you can confidently assume an Android with any given variant of the OS supports USB audio.
Fortunately, it does appear that this is changing, and it's on Google's radar... Can't wait for it to be an automatic feature on all devices!post #5152 of 86538/3/14 at 6:54pmpost #5153 of 86538/3/14 at 7:09pm
Eh, I'm just glad there's light at the end of the tunnel. I get that they had a million other priorities, and that our group of clamoring enthusiasts is just one of who-knows-how-many. I'm just ready to have it truly up and running ;). In the meantime, there's the fine work that Davy has put in with UAPP to keep us happy!post #5154 of 86538/3/14 at 8:40pmpost #5155 of 86538/4/14 at 2:03ampost #5156 of 86538/4/14 at 5:08am
Here in the UK, the Galaxy S3 has come down to the same price as the Moto G 4G (as an upgrade).
Just wondering which would be best choice for USB audio? Would the Samsung still work with a custom KitKat rom?
Sorry if it's been discussed a zillion times. Thanks
Edited by BrainFood - 8/4/14 at 7:20ampost #5157 of 86538/4/14 at 6:45pmpost #5158 of 86538/4/14 at 7:54pmpost #5159 of 86538/4/14 at 8:23pmQuote:
My US version S3 worked with USB audio using the stock ROM. I used it with a FiiO E18 and a Schiit USB Uber Bifrost. The Bifrost required a powered USB Hub or else one would risk destroying their phone. When I first hooked up my S3 to the Bifrost my S3 burned out. Luckily it was replaced under warranty. Apparently Samsung messed up on the USB hardware, when a USB device draws above a certain level of current the S3 can self destruct, hence the powered Hub protects the S3. My Apple iPod Touch 5G warns you on the screen about too much current being drawn without frying. The FiiO E18 doesn't draw power from the phone and does not endanger the S3. I'm not sure how the Non-USA version of the S3 behaves.post #5160 of 86538/4/14 at 11:42pmQuote:
The E10 doesn't have its own power supply, nor a battery, and is entirely dependent on the 5V bus power. I'm surprised it even worked. Try a powered hub with it, although if you can't get the ones already mentioned here it may not work or work differently (ie some will charge both the phone and power the E10, some might power the E10, some won't run the E10).
- Android phones and USB DACs
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 19 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or M2 Wired 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Toronto GTA Meet January 2017 with Cayin! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › [WTS] Norne Therium 2 pin 3.5mm 4 wire 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear