- 263 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: Tracy Ca.
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- USB DAC recommendation???? Last post on 6/13/12 at 8:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- Can two DACs interfere with each other? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:59pm in Computer Audio
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 5/16/15 at 5:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC of Sony Xperia S Last post on 8/27/13 at 12:57am in Portable Source Gear
- Samsung galaxy nexus Last post on 11/17/12 at 10:30pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Current Positions: AMGN- 2 shares- 144 cost basis per share. C- 5 shares- 56.27 cost basis per share. Cash Position- $3,412.75 Wow is the first word that popped into my mind after putting on...
Android phones and USB DACs - Page 317post #4741 of 87945/18/14 at 7:22amOn amazon they sell a cypher labs accesoriy pack for 35.00 usd. And it comes with a OTG cable, 30 pin apple cable, 2rubber bands, and a leather pad to place under amp and dac.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4742 of 87945/18/14 at 9:17amQuote:Originally Posted by headified
Been using some pretty normal USB-OTG Cable myself for the last half year.
So far it didn't have anything to regret, it was about 10ish Dollars although i could have probably get the same cable for half the price on the interwebs :)
I have yet to see a "high-quality" cable whatever that means :)
I am reminded of Justice Potter's comment about porn....'I know it when I see it'....post #4743 of 87945/18/14 at 9:45am
$80 for an OTG cable still seems a bit gouge-y and exploitative IMO. If it brings something to the table SQ-wise, it might be worth it, and I could certainly be wrong... But it just feels snake-oily to me. JMO, natch.post #4744 of 87945/18/14 at 9:48ampost #4745 of 87945/18/14 at 9:49ampost #4746 of 87945/18/14 at 10:17amQuote:
I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["hard-core pornography"]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that. [Emphasis added.]—Justice Potter Stewart, concurring opinion in Jacobellis v. Ohio 378 U.S. 184 (1964), regarding possible obscenity in The Lovers.Like the Good Justice, I know a quality cable when I see it.post #4747 of 87945/18/14 at 4:02pm
Wanted to ask if the AMB Gamma 1 Lite works with the U.S Samsung Galaxy S3 via OTG? I had read that the Gamma 1 and 2 version do but not a hundred percent about the lite version. If anyone has used it or has read that it does please get back to me.post #4748 of 87945/19/14 at 7:15ampost #4749 of 87945/19/14 at 9:04amQuote:Originally Posted by nnotis
For the most part, I've found my iPad to have clearly better USB audio implementation than any phone (Samsung, LG) I've had. It always works, every time, even with my Bel Canto C5i speaker setup. And jailbreaking has allowed me to bypass iTunes completely by putting all of my audio files in a folder I created. But let's be clear, it's still no where near as versatile as my Android phone. The interface will never be as customized to my liking. The number of decent audio players is much higher on Android. Even jailbroken, I need apps that can point to source folders (thankfully iOS Neutron player works.) And no jailbreak hack can add an SD slot.
I think your statement, while possibly perfectly valid in your case, cannot be generalized to all iOs devices, as we all know one of the biggest curses of iOs USB implementation (audio or not) is extremely low current (mA) allowance. In fact, I am almost sure (although I am lacking any technical evidence) that the DC current allowance of iOs devices is swinging between 20mA with worst SW updates and 100mA with "better" SW updates.
And this, software-imposed, limitation makes finding a good matching USB DAC a real challenge.
In fact, an "officially" iOs-compatible USB DAC is just a regular USB DAC, with USB receiver "hacked" to request zero mA (or below 100mA), and some added price tag for Apple certification.
Don't get me wrong: I am not one of those crazy "apple haters" out there, I am a happy owner of the total of 5 iOs devices of various types and generations. But objectivity comes first: IMO, Apple's implementation of USB connectivity is just plain bad.post #4750 of 87945/20/14 at 1:06am
Haven't read the thread and it's not a phone so please remove if too far off topic - but it's Android and it's portable and IIRC I got to this thread via a link to a comment about another Android tablet, so it might be useful to someone.
I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 which had issues with analog output to external amplifiers (a loud pop when starting playback), so it's been returned for support to check out. Before I sent it back I managed to get a cheap OTG cable and try it out with my headphone amps:
1. The iBasso D2 wouldn't establish a USB link no matter what I did.
2. The CEntrance DACport would link, but wouldn't play back much of the time, and was unusable the rest, even after the tablet was rebooted with the DACport connected. IIRC when it did produce audio there were either severe pitch changes and what sounded like missing samples or crackling reminiscent of vinyl.
3. The Pico would link, but initially wouldn't play back very well (I think it was doing the "crackling like vinyl" thing, and I think there were times it wouldn't produce any sound at all). With the crackling I suspect the tablet's resampling algorithm is substandard or isn't getting high enough priority CPU slices to generate timely samples. However rebooting the tablet with the Pico connected worked as far as I could tell in 5-10 minutes of playback with headphones and about half an hour through my hi-fi speakers.post #4751 of 87945/20/14 at 1:47amQuote:
LOL...$80 for a digital cable. SQ will be the same as any other cable. The only difference would be reliablity.
Edited by dcfac73 - 5/20/14 at 1:57ampost #4752 of 87945/20/14 at 2:38amQuote:
Which doesn't really matter for some set-ups that stay on the desk, which is why I'm not rushing to pay that much for an OTG micro to fullsize USB-B cable.post #4753 of 87945/20/14 at 6:20am
Sooner or later somebody is going to come out with a series of inexpensive, well-made cables that fill all of these product gaps (looking at you, Monoprice!), and when they do I'll be all over it. MP already has some really cheap OTG adapters, but it would be nice to have the complete cables available too.post #4754 of 87945/20/14 at 9:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Theogenes
Sooner or later somebody is going to come out with a series of inexpensive, well-made cables that fill all of these product gaps (looking at you, Monoprice!), and when they do I'll be all over it. MP already has some really cheap OTG adapters, but it would be nice to have the complete cables available too.
I sure hope so. Honestly, if AQ would come out with a $30 Forest-series OTG cable I'd get one, as long as it comes in the termination/s I need on the DAC end. That series will still be half the price of the cheapest alternatives barring a really cheap DIY job.
- Android phones and USB DACs
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 7 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 15 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 52 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 6 minutes ago
- › Anything happening in North or South Carolina? 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 7 minutes ago
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear