- 236 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: Tracy Ca.
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- USB DAC recommendation???? Last post on 6/13/12 at 8:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- Can two DACs interfere with each other? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:59pm in Computer Audio
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 5/16/15 at 5:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC of Sony Xperia S Last post on 8/27/13 at 12:57am in Portable Source Gear
- Samsung galaxy nexus Last post on 11/17/12 at 10:30pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/30/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out Meze's entry level product, the 11 Neo. Morpheus would be so proud. While they've been around for a while now Meze really found their stride...
Hifiman MegaMini Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Hifiman and Campfire Audio Vega Hifiman MegaMini...
I recently received the JLab Epic2 Bluetooth headphones for review. Some of the new features of the Epic2 are the upgrade from ipx4 to ipx5 to improve resistance to sweat and water. They have...
It would of gotten a 5 star rating, if it wasn't so expensive. So I got to listen to the MOJO yesterday through the JVC SZ1000. Total different animal of an amp. Nice clean subbass, while...
BRAVO ERIB-2A EARPHONE PLANAR UNIVERSAL IN-EAR MONITOR TAKES LISTENING TO THE NEXT LEVEL. oBravo is a company founded in 2006 and located in Taiwan have made air-motion technology a...
Android phones and USB DACs - Page 317post #4741 of 85525/18/14 at 7:22amOn amazon they sell a cypher labs accesoriy pack for 35.00 usd. And it comes with a OTG cable, 30 pin apple cable, 2rubber bands, and a leather pad to place under amp and dac.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4742 of 85525/18/14 at 9:17amQuote:Originally Posted by headified
Been using some pretty normal USB-OTG Cable myself for the last half year.
So far it didn't have anything to regret, it was about 10ish Dollars although i could have probably get the same cable for half the price on the interwebs :)
I have yet to see a "high-quality" cable whatever that means :)
I am reminded of Justice Potter's comment about porn....'I know it when I see it'....post #4743 of 85525/18/14 at 9:45am
$80 for an OTG cable still seems a bit gouge-y and exploitative IMO. If it brings something to the table SQ-wise, it might be worth it, and I could certainly be wrong... But it just feels snake-oily to me. JMO, natch.post #4744 of 85525/18/14 at 9:48ampost #4745 of 85525/18/14 at 9:49ampost #4746 of 85525/18/14 at 10:17amQuote:
I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["hard-core pornography"]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that. [Emphasis added.]—Justice Potter Stewart, concurring opinion in Jacobellis v. Ohio 378 U.S. 184 (1964), regarding possible obscenity in The Lovers.Like the Good Justice, I know a quality cable when I see it.post #4747 of 85525/18/14 at 4:02pm
Wanted to ask if the AMB Gamma 1 Lite works with the U.S Samsung Galaxy S3 via OTG? I had read that the Gamma 1 and 2 version do but not a hundred percent about the lite version. If anyone has used it or has read that it does please get back to me.post #4748 of 85525/19/14 at 7:15ampost #4749 of 85525/19/14 at 9:04amQuote:Originally Posted by nnotis
For the most part, I've found my iPad to have clearly better USB audio implementation than any phone (Samsung, LG) I've had. It always works, every time, even with my Bel Canto C5i speaker setup. And jailbreaking has allowed me to bypass iTunes completely by putting all of my audio files in a folder I created. But let's be clear, it's still no where near as versatile as my Android phone. The interface will never be as customized to my liking. The number of decent audio players is much higher on Android. Even jailbroken, I need apps that can point to source folders (thankfully iOS Neutron player works.) And no jailbreak hack can add an SD slot.
I think your statement, while possibly perfectly valid in your case, cannot be generalized to all iOs devices, as we all know one of the biggest curses of iOs USB implementation (audio or not) is extremely low current (mA) allowance. In fact, I am almost sure (although I am lacking any technical evidence) that the DC current allowance of iOs devices is swinging between 20mA with worst SW updates and 100mA with "better" SW updates.
And this, software-imposed, limitation makes finding a good matching USB DAC a real challenge.
In fact, an "officially" iOs-compatible USB DAC is just a regular USB DAC, with USB receiver "hacked" to request zero mA (or below 100mA), and some added price tag for Apple certification.
Don't get me wrong: I am not one of those crazy "apple haters" out there, I am a happy owner of the total of 5 iOs devices of various types and generations. But objectivity comes first: IMO, Apple's implementation of USB connectivity is just plain bad.post #4750 of 85525/20/14 at 1:06am
Haven't read the thread and it's not a phone so please remove if too far off topic - but it's Android and it's portable and IIRC I got to this thread via a link to a comment about another Android tablet, so it might be useful to someone.
I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 which had issues with analog output to external amplifiers (a loud pop when starting playback), so it's been returned for support to check out. Before I sent it back I managed to get a cheap OTG cable and try it out with my headphone amps:
1. The iBasso D2 wouldn't establish a USB link no matter what I did.
2. The CEntrance DACport would link, but wouldn't play back much of the time, and was unusable the rest, even after the tablet was rebooted with the DACport connected. IIRC when it did produce audio there were either severe pitch changes and what sounded like missing samples or crackling reminiscent of vinyl.
3. The Pico would link, but initially wouldn't play back very well (I think it was doing the "crackling like vinyl" thing, and I think there were times it wouldn't produce any sound at all). With the crackling I suspect the tablet's resampling algorithm is substandard or isn't getting high enough priority CPU slices to generate timely samples. However rebooting the tablet with the Pico connected worked as far as I could tell in 5-10 minutes of playback with headphones and about half an hour through my hi-fi speakers.post #4751 of 85525/20/14 at 1:47amQuote:
LOL...$80 for a digital cable. SQ will be the same as any other cable. The only difference would be reliablity.
Edited by dcfac73 - 5/20/14 at 1:57ampost #4752 of 85525/20/14 at 2:38amQuote:
Which doesn't really matter for some set-ups that stay on the desk, which is why I'm not rushing to pay that much for an OTG micro to fullsize USB-B cable.post #4753 of 85525/20/14 at 6:20am
Sooner or later somebody is going to come out with a series of inexpensive, well-made cables that fill all of these product gaps (looking at you, Monoprice!), and when they do I'll be all over it. MP already has some really cheap OTG adapters, but it would be nice to have the complete cables available too.post #4754 of 85525/20/14 at 9:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Theogenes
Sooner or later somebody is going to come out with a series of inexpensive, well-made cables that fill all of these product gaps (looking at you, Monoprice!), and when they do I'll be all over it. MP already has some really cheap OTG adapters, but it would be nice to have the complete cables available too.
I sure hope so. Honestly, if AQ would come out with a $30 Forest-series OTG cable I'd get one, as long as it comes in the termination/s I need on the DAC end. That series will still be half the price of the cheapest alternatives barring a really cheap DIY job.
- Android phones and USB DACs
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › South Florida Head-fiers? 4 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 49 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 58 seconds ago
- › The Playstation 4 Pro is Out! 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Bose QC 35s (wireless, noise cancelling-used but excellent condition) 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones for Bright Vocals/Jpop/Anime Songs 3 minutes ago
- › Clip-ons with stronger sub bass than KSC75s? 3 minutes ago
- › Affordable MP3 Player 3 minutes ago
- › Meze 11 Neo by B9Scrambler
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by ExpatinJapan
- › JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sport Earbuds, GUARANTEED... by red71rum
- › Chord MoJo by snellemin
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Frank I
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by UncleGamer
- › HyperX Cloud Revolver Multi-platform E-Sports Gaming Wire Headset... by UncleGamer
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by HiFiChris
- › Vibro Labs Sera triple armature in-ear monitors by sq3rjick
- › Meze 12 Classics by Mightygrey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear