Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 313

post #4681 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
 

 

1. Apparently, the Xperia Z can work with the FiiO E17 without a hub.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646707/upcoming-sony-xperia-z-dac/75#post_9744552

 

2. It works with all players.

 

3. Yes, the USB Audio Recorder PRO app can play and output 24-bit audio to an external USB DAC.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667350/m2tech-hiface-dac-32-384-impressions#post_9620692

 

 

 

1000

 

Hi there, a quick question regarding your Post.

 

As far as i understand the Audioquest Dragonfly should work with the Sony Xperia Z (no ultra etc..), but would it work with the Walkman App or just with "USB Audio Recorder PRO"?

Its not about the extra-cash for the App but because of the UserInterface that seems to be superior compared to the one of the "USB Audio Recorder PRO".

I wouldn't mind buying the app, as long as i can use the Walkman-App to manage the played Songs.

 

Btw. most of the Stuff on my Xperia Z is encoded as 320mp3s cbr 16bit /44.1/48khz and a few titles as flac's, also mainly 16bit.

 

Hope you might be able to answer my questions!

 

 

BTW. Thanks  for pointing me into the right direction, guess i was a bit too lazy :)

post #4682 of 5748

Hi DanBa, thanks for this, but can you snap a pic of your actual set up, all the components and connections. I'm probably gonna pick these up, but wanted what the whole enchilada looks like. Thanks!
post #4683 of 5748
Thread Starter 

Anyone using iFi gear with their Androids? I have a whole bunch of their stuff coming, interested to try it out.

post #4684 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Anyone using iFi gear with their Androids? I have a whole bunch of their stuff coming, interested to try it out.

I use the idsd nano with my s3, love it. Got a nice usb micro cable made by forza, really neat.
post #4685 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican2 View Post


I use the idsd nano with my s3, love it. Got a nice usb micro cable made by forza, really neat.

I should get the idsd nano in the post this week,waited impatiently for 7 weeks on it so cant wait to hook it up to my Sony z and sp,any photos of your rig?

post #4686 of 5748
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican2 View Post


I use the idsd nano with my s3, love it. Got a nice usb micro cable made by forza, really neat.

 

Good to know. The NZ rep is basically sending me nearly all their stuff so it can be present at the national headphone meet I'm organising, so will be a great chance to try it all out without spending lots of money.

post #4687 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
 

 

Good to know. The NZ rep is basically sending me nearly all their stuff so it can be present at the national headphone meet I'm organising, so will be a great chance to try it all out without spending lots of money.

I expect that your extensive listening tests should take a few years and then you can return the test subjects.

post #4688 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

If your IEM's are getting hot as in temperature, stop using the GeekOut, immediately. Get a voltmeter and see if there's a DC Voltage offset at the output of the GeekOut using the same  OTG cable and external battery. WIthout any music playing it should measure 0V. If it's at zero, you then must check the offfset while music is playing. In that case your meter may not measure DC accurately, but it's worth trying to see if there's a large offset, an oscilloscope may be required. Heating the IEMs is a sign of trouble and may damage them.

Maybe something is wrong with the cable or battery voltage is too high. Whatever it is your IEMs should NOT be hot.

 

Thanks

Can you recommend a  Y OTG cable wich will not cause that DC voltage issue?

I am using this battery: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-E5-15000mAh-External-Battery-Charger-for-iPads-Ssmsung-Galaxy-Tablets-/321157964825? which should not pose any problem.

 

Thanks again

post #4689 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolom View Post
 

I have the LH Labs Geek Out 450mw. works fine when connected to my win7 laptop.

Currently there is an issue with Android phones (mine is S4) even with UAPP, hope it may be solved soon by a Geek firmwate update.

 

I did encounter a serious problem though:

 

  • Can you explain what's the issue with the Y-OTG cable? Is there a recommended cable to use? I do not want to have the USB hub, for better portability.

 

Thanks

I had my Geek Out 450mw working fine on my Galaxy Note 3 3G Version.

The only problem is that the Geek Out is eating up my battery really fast.

Only 1 hour of music playing will left me 50% of my battery.

post #4690 of 5748
You guys know of a cool interconnect, like something custom, from micro USB to mini (OTG) for under $10, or maybe $15?
post #4691 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy820 View Post
 

I had my Geek Out 450mw working fine on my Galaxy Note 3 3G Version.

The only problem is that the Geek Out is eating up my battery really fast.

Only 1 hour of music playing will left me 50% of my battery.

 

What android version are you using? and if possible can you state which Kernel is installed on your Note3? are you using UAPP? which palyer?

 

I understand that you connected the Geek Out directly via an OTG cable. Did you try it with a battery fed Y cable? or via a battery fed USB HUB?

 

Many quesrtions, but it may help me a lot.

 

Thanks

post #4692 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolom View Post
 

 

What android version are you using? and if possible can you state which Kernel is installed on your Note3? are you using UAPP? which palyer?

 

I understand that you connected the Geek Out directly via an OTG cable. Did you try it with a battery fed Y cable? or via a battery fed USB HUB?

 

Many quesrtions, but it may help me a lot.

 

Thanks

I don't have a Y-cable for testing.

I tried the Geek Out on S4 4G, Note 3 3G, S5 4G, all on Stock Android 4.4.

The S4 4G is the only device that doesn't work with the Geek Out, even using UAPP.

Both the Note 3 3G and S5 4G works without UAPP.

post #4693 of 5748

Is it just me, or is it possible that i dont need an App to play it over the external-DAC at all?

Found this video, and it looks kinda promising!

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt0E62X0ZSE

 

 

I think i remember reading that Android degrades 24bit Music down to 16bit (somewhere between those 300+  pages), is it possible that that is the only reason to use a 3rd-Party App for playback and it works out-of-the-box if you have just 16bit Music on your phone (most likely the case on my phone)?

 

 

The Video above seems not to be using anything third-partish at all.

 

 

Hope someone has some answers for me :)


Edited by headified - 5/13/14 at 1:44am
post #4694 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by headified View Post
 

Is it just me, or is it possible that i dont need an App to play it over the external-DAC at all?

Found this video, and it looks kinda promising!

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt0E62X0ZSE

 

 

I think i remember reading that Android degrades 24bit Music down to 16bit (somewhere between those 300+  pages), is it possible that that is the only reason to use a 3rd-Party App for playback and it works out-of-the-box if you have just 16bit Music on your phone (most likely the case on my phone)?

 

 

The Video above seems not to be using anything third-partish at all.

 

 

Hope someone has some answers for me :)

Yes, in my case mentioned above,

I don't need to use the UAPP or any other special apps to playback on the DAC, and all apps outputting audio, Spotify and the like works fine with the DAC.

Android system resamples all the audio output to 16bit, 48000hz, and depends on your device,

the resampling algorithm maybe bad, so there's UAPP.

post #4695 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy820 View Post
 

I don't have a Y-cable for testing.

I tried the Geek Out on S4 4G, Note 3 3G, S5 4G, all on Stock Android 4.4.

The S4 4G is the only device that doesn't work with the Geek Out, even using UAPP.

Both the Note 3 3G and S5 4G works without UAPP.

Geek Out 1000 confirm with Note LTE (using USB 3.0 OTG, usb 2.0 OTG works too)

 

UAPP w/ DXD

 

 

Other Players (Neutron, Stock) plays files but output is 48K only

 

 


Edited by m-i-c-k-e-y - 5/13/14 at 3:37am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs