Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 306

post #4576 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

This phone is supposed to be crazy good for the asking price:

http://oneplus.net/one

You can also wait for the next nexus too

Sorry, way out of my price range for the intended purpose (as a music player only for a headphone comparison tour).
post #4577 of 5267

Moto G.

post #4578 of 5267

Newest version of VANIR 4.4.2 has enough compiled CM11 pieces in it that the USB Audio is hot pluggable and works amazingly.  Tested it on both my toro and my hammerhead (still need to check out my grouper).

post #4579 of 5267

Have you tried hooking USB power to the OTG hub and running an USB hard disk drive instead of a microSD card? If a power supply connected to a USB port would power all the USB ports, you might be able to power an ext 1TB HDD with most of your music library, and a 5v-DAC that doesn't have in inbuilt battery. (Of course it would also be trying to charge the mobile phone, but that might not be too bad.)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cattlethief View Post
 

 

The OTG hub is handy for the Stoner Acoustics UD100 and extra storage which it will take my sandisk cruzer fit 32GB and microsd cards as well as my older M2 8g.

Although it will only read one card at a time.

I am eagerly awaiting the iFi nano iDSD and hopefully it will be compatible and sound even better.

post #4580 of 5267
I too ordered the hub as picture in cattlethiefs post, but have failed to get either of my 2 thumb drives (64GB & 8GB) to mount when connected to Moto G (stock 4.4.2), either while receiving power from the phone or from an AC power supply (both mount using a conventional OTG dongle). Funnily enough, I can't get either a Micro SDHC card or Memory Stick Pro Duo to mount either ! Maybe it's the phone, or maybe it's the hub. What does work is my Stoner Acoustic UD110 DAC.

I am going to give the hub one last try tomorrow evening - I gave the micro USB plug on the hub a bit of a clean as there appeared to be some residual manufacturing gunk stuck to it, maybe it will spring to life now but I'm fast beginning to doubt that any hub will work with my Moto G.
post #4581 of 5267

How about testing the hub with a PC / Mac?

 

Another test with a simpler USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard: Moto G >> USB hub >> USB mouse.

post #4582 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by swab View Post

I too ordered the hub as picture in cattlethiefs post, but have failed to get either of my 2 thumb drives (64GB & 8GB) to mount when connected to Moto G (stock 4.4.2), either while receiving power from the phone or from an AC power supply (both mount using a conventional OTG dongle). Funnily enough, I can't get either a Micro SDHC card or Memory Stick Pro Duo to mount either ! Maybe it's the phone, or maybe it's the hub. What does work is my Stoner Acoustic UD110 DAC.

I am going to give the hub one last try tomorrow evening - I gave the micro USB plug on the hub a bit of a clean as there appeared to be some residual manufacturing gunk stuck to it, maybe it will spring to life now but I'm fast beginning to doubt that any hub will work with my Moto G.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
 

How about testing the hub with a PC / Mac?

 

Another test with a simpler USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard: Moto G >> USB hub >> USB mouse.

 

It's the phone - firmware related at a guess.

 

I have the exact same hub and it functions perfectly with my tablet, but when used in conjunction with my Moto G I also find that a usb DAC will work fine but the phone fails to mount any cards I try.

 

I have had a degree of success after installing the Nexus Media Importer app but functionality is limited and I find the app quite ungainly and unintuitive. The good(ish) news is that it mounted the SD card I tested it with and I can view the file structure, look at photos etc. and also transfer files to the Moto G's internal memory - although from my limited use it seems to just dump them into root rather than let you specify a destination folder.

 

The less good news is that whilst you can stream music you need to use the built-in music player, which is very basic to say the least. I've only tried a single hi-res track and playback was very stuttery but I'm inclined to say it is a bitrate issue as I get the same thing when I play it from internal storage using Media Monkey.I'll try some CD rips later but the inability to use alternative music players seriously hampers its usefulness, for me at least.


Edited by jellofund - 5/1/14 at 2:48am
post #4583 of 5267

Thanks jellofund for telling us of your experiences with the Nexus Media Importer app on your Moto G in tandem with the OTG hub as pictured in cattlethiefs post above.

 

I'm happy enough (in the near term) to get any sort of hub to work, and last night managed to get both the UD110 and my 64GB USB thumb drive to work with the hub while receiving power from the phone, using the Nexus Media Importer app. It's not perfect (I would have preferred to use UAPP for playback), but I can now swop back and forth from Nexus Media to Spotify etc. and have the audio streamed through the UD110. Only caveat in my case is that the phones battery appears to be run down a lot quicker when I use the reboot with OTG attached method of streaming audio via USB with the thumb drive attached, so shall have to use a power supply to power the hub in this scenario. Will investigate further with an SD card when time allows.

post #4584 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by swab View Post
 

Thanks jellofund for telling us of your experiences with the Nexus Media Importer app on your Moto G in tandem with the OTG hub as pictured in cattlethiefs post above.

 

I'm happy enough (in the near term) to get any sort of hub to work, and last night managed to get both the UD110 and my 64GB USB thumb drive to work with the hub while receiving power from the phone, using the Nexus Media Importer app. It's not perfect (I would have preferred to use UAPP for playback), but I can now swop back and forth from Nexus Media to Spotify etc. and have the audio streamed through the UD110. Only caveat in my case is that the phones battery appears to be run down a lot quicker when I use the reboot with OTG attached method of streaming audio via USB with the thumb drive attached, so shall have to use a power supply to power the hub in this scenario. Will investigate further with an SD card when time allows.

 

You're very welcome swab :) 

 

Really good to hear that did the trick for you. It would be preferable to use USBAPP or something else for playback but as you say it works and that's the main thing. 

 

For me the issue is more that I need Spotify to be able to access a 64gb micro SD card as I have several hundred albums stored for offline use, so was really hoping the NMI app would create a 'bridge' between the two. Alas not.

post #4585 of 5267

So I have been wanting a new DAP of some sort for some time, had thoughts of getting the iBasso DX90 but in the end, it will not end up being what I want.

 

I am looking for an Android based player with an external MicroSD slot capable of supporting up to 128GB cards (as I have a brand new one on my desk right now), I intend to get on craigslist and buy a used phone from someone, drop my 128GB MicroSD card in it, root it (and maybe ROM it) so I can get rid of all the factory BS off of it I don't need and call it good.

 

All playback on it this device will be done via the headphone out and not USB like I see some people mentioning, I do have intentions down the line getting a DAC to help with the playback performance of the device, so suggestions on on that would be nice to have as well.

 

95%+ of the time this unit will be in my car and be plugged into the AUX in on my headunit, the other 5% the player will be used on my Klipsch KMC 3 when I am outside BBQing or whatever it may be.

 

The main bulk of my music collection consists of MP3 files and very few FLAC files, so other than this being used to play those media files the primary pull to going Android is so I can utilize my Google Music sub while on wireless networks to stream music from.

 

With all this being said, should I be looking at a certain phone that will support my need of the 128GB MicroSD? (Samsung Galaxy, Sony Xperia, etc)

I know most phones say "up to 64GB" and still support 128GB cards (as the cards just now started to emerge on the market) but don't want to get my hands on one and that not be the case.

 

This phone will NOT be activated as will be used only as a audio player so it does not matter what network the phone works on.

 

Any information would be appreciated!

 

*edit* The Sony Xperia Z looks tempting right now as I am seeing it for around $285.


Edited by BoneEnterprise - 5/2/14 at 8:29am
post #4586 of 5267

IMO go for Galaxy S4, more compatibility. Have a Xperia Z. My problem? Flap on the USB.

post #4587 of 5267

Poweramp and Dragonfly on a HTC One (M7)

 

Hi Folks,

This thread ist filled up with lots of information and i just want to clear things up for me, so it would be great if somebody could help me.

 

I`ve just bought a Audioquest Dragonfly and would love to connect it to my HTC One.. well connecting it is no problem at all (dragonfly looks powered up, if i disconnect it, my htc tells me "headphones disconnected"), getting music out of the jack is where i need help... at the moment, every app (neutron, poweramp) is only playing via speakers.

HTC One (M7 - running stock 4.4.2) -> USB OTG micro to type A -> dragonfly 1.2 -> iem

 

Facts (i think) i´ve researched so far ... skimmed the last pages of this thread... the info fragments shure make sense to folks deep in the topic.... but sadly not for me:

- there was a OTG "nerf" with android 4.4

- there's an app (usbAudioPlayerPro) that should work

- i´ve read an article stating that cynogenmod enabling usb audio across all apps ( think it was a jds article / don´t know if this is still the case )

- there should be custom roms that do the trick (don´t know which) ... 

 

what i could try

- testing cynogenmod(or other custom roms)... should be my last resort.. took me a long time to get the launcher and everything set right on my phone.. i´ve also got my company (container) software running.. don´t know if they block custom roms out of security purpose..

- buying uaap ... pretty steep priced for a lucky shot... and i love!! poweramp... so fast... so nice looking... great eq.. lovely

- hoping that someone here got a better idea

 

what i want

running the dragonfly (otg) via poweramp

 

thank you.

cheers

neopac

post #4588 of 5267

I have mentioned before that my friend's HTC One with stock 4.4.2 didn't need UAPP to work. All music player works with my FiiO E18. With the dragonfly, it may be different though. If you would like to know if UAPP works, you can install the trial version first. The link should be in the description of the app in Google Play Store.

post #4589 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeap69 View Post
 

I have mentioned before that my friend's HTC One with stock 4.4.2 didn't need UAPP to work. All music player works with my FiiO E18. With the dragonfly, it may be different though. If you would like to know if UAPP works, you can install the trial version first. The link should be in the description of the app in Google Play Store.

 

thank you for the hint with the trial version... didn´t see the download link in the pro version...

 

uapp works at the first try... "usb audio device initialized" and bound to the app... but the app itself is (imo) way inferior to the poweramp player.

 

but at least i can sort out the "maybe it needs a powered hub" thought... reading that a htc one can connect to the fiio without a problem is a bugger on the other hand..

 

cheers an thank you

post #4590 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-i-c-k-e-y View Post
 

IMO go for Galaxy S4, more compatibility. Have a Xperia Z. My problem? Flap on the USB.


As there is no confirmed information (at least on xda-developers) that the 128 GB card works in the Xperia Z that is the route I may have to go towards currently.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs