Originally Posted by swab
I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions regarding the C5D and Moto G. It would go some way toward helping me decide on whether I should stick or switch with the UD110 + headphone amp combo setup I'm using currently.
1. Is it truly plug and play ? As in the phone reverts to its default audio profile before and after connection and disconnection of the OTG without needing to restart phone.
2. All other audio (speaker/microphone/earpiece) works as normal while DAC is connected and ouputting audio i.e. the phone is functioning as a normal phone should.
3. Do you ever experience any distortion/artifacts in the audio signal being output by the DAC ?
4. Can you switch from "any other" audio app to USBAPP and back to "any other" audio app and still get audio in your phones from "any other" audio app without having to restart the phone ?
And I'd greatly appreciate if anybody else here can volunteer any first person experience/knowledge of matching the UD110's with a suitable sub €/$100 amp, I fear my Fiio E5 is not a good match for the UD110's line out level.
Thanks for listening
Not a problem. Can't guarantee I'll be able to answer all your questions but please feel free to ask away or send me a PM if you prefer :)
In the order you asked:
1. Pretty much. It doesn't seem to matter if I connect the C5D whilst my phone is powered off, in stand-by or turned on - the DAC is detected, audio gets sent to it and I have full volume control. Unlike my ODAC which needs a full reboot to work properly.
If I disconnect the OTG whilst listening to music / audio (I use Spotify mainly) the audio pauses and the volume gets reset to 0%. When I resume playback and turn the volume up it audio resumes playing through the Moto G's speaker as I'd want it to.
2. I tend to make and receive calls fairly infrequently on my mobile (mainly use it for music listening, texts and surfing) but from the limited amount of calls I've made the mic and speaker seemed to work just fine. When receiving incoming calls the audio coming through the DAC is paused and the ringtone comes through the internal speaker as normal - once the call is done audio playback resumes through my headphones.
From what I can tell the phone functionality is unaffected by the C5D.
3. So far I've only used the C5D around the home or office and not really had a chance to use it on the move, so can't really say if there is any interference when moving between mobile masts (heard this can be a source of interference with some DACs). During my time using the C5D I've not experienced any problems with it in terms of interference. It's been cheek-to-cheek with the G and I've had both wifi and mobile use enabled.
4. I don't have USBAPP installed but know that when I used the trial version with my ODAC I had an issue that afterwards the audio from any app I switched to would be sent to the internal speaker rather than the ODAC. I'd assume this is a general issue when using USBAPP itself but will download the trial version again this evening and see how the C5D fares. Edit: tried it & same thing happens.
Hope this helps!
Edited by jellofund - 2/27/14 at 3:19pm