Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 263

post #3931 of 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcubano1 View Post

My current setup is S3---UAPP 1.05----Dragonfly---Westone3

Which volume control would I be better off with hardware of software if I want to add volume via the mixer tab?

 

If it has a hardware volume control I'd use that.

post #3932 of 5242
Nexus 4 working with CM 11 - ziddey otg kernel - UAPP - otg y cable - hifimediy sabre PCM version AND CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #3933 of 5242

I'm an owner of the DAC by Fiio, the new E18.

After several test, except of the Asus TF300 no of my Android device work with the DAC.

So i'm looking for a good smartphone that I will use only as a music player and can work with the E18.

I have read the list by DanBa with all the device that support USB Audio (with or without USB Audio Player Pro), but I don't know all the device in the list.

So here I am to ask: what's is the cheapest solution out there?

I'm looking for a smartphone (not a tablet) that have a microSD slot.

I think that a Galaxy S3 is a good choice, but is not so cheap (here in Italy I can find it at 280€).

Anyone knows an alternative?

Many thanks!

post #3934 of 5242
Hi guys, last night my OTG cable came in and bought USB pro recorder .
I was able to power up Dragonfly dac off of my HTC One phone, it worked great (my commutes will be that much better!). I then installed USB pro recorder on my Sony Xperia Z tablet also and there too the dragonfly hookup worked great so thanks for all the great info in this thread.

One question I had was this works great for Flac files stored on the device.
Any way to make this work for Streaming music like MOG or Spotify, I know the streaming music it may not work with
but you can also store their music files on your device locally in some cache for offline listening, so wondering if anyone was able to play these files through their dac?
post #3935 of 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbf View Post

Nexus 4 working with CM 11 - ziddey otg kernel - UAPP - otg y cable - hifimediy sabre PCM version AND CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Picture! Note the led on on the hifimediy!

sebe2u3e.jpg

And right now even working WITHOUT UAPP allowing any music software including streaming services to go through the USB DAC after installing jack Norris patch which you can find here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728

Please note: go to the end of the thread linked above in order to download patch 1.2 for 4.4 version

The only thing missing is volume control.

Best!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #3936 of 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post
 

I'm an owner of the DAC by Fiio, the new E18.

After several test, except of the Asus TF300 no of my Android device work with the DAC.

So i'm looking for a good smartphone that I will use only as a music player and can work with the E18.

I have read the list by DanBa with all the device that support USB Audio (with or without USB Audio Player Pro), but I don't know all the device in the list.

So here I am to ask: what's is the cheapest solution out there?

I'm looking for a smartphone (not a tablet) that have a microSD slot.

I think that a Galaxy S3 is a good choice, but is not so cheap (here in Italy I can find it at 280€).

Anyone knows an alternative?

Many thanks!


use http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php?w=s (phonescoop.com) to search for phones based on features.

post #3937 of 5242

R: Android phones and USB DACs

Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post


use http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php?w=s (phonescoop.com) to search for phones based on features.


Thanks for the answer, but I think that an option to filter for USB audio future is missing (or I don't find it? )...

Inviato dal mio ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG utilizzando Tapatalk
post #3938 of 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post


Thanks for the answer, but I think that an option to filter for USB audio future is missing (or I don't find it? )...

Inviato dal mio ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG utilizzando Tapatalk

 

There isn't, but there is one for USB connectivity. If it doesn't have that it won't work, if it does, it might work and is worth pursuing

post #3939 of 5242

hi there I have the Fiio E18 and can confirm it works out of the box with the Motorola Moto G. This is on Kikkat android and it is amazing combination for the price. In the UK the Moto G can be bought for £99. 

 

I'm listening through soundmagic E10's and AKG 550's and I am blown away how good the audio quality is through my setup.

 

As I said Motorola G. on Kikkat with Fiio E18 works straight out of the box.

 

Hope that helps some people.

post #3940 of 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post
 

I'm an owner of the DAC by Fiio, the new E18.

After several test, except of the Asus TF300 no of my Android device work with the DAC.

So i'm looking for a good smartphone that I will use only as a music player and can work with the E18.

I have read the list by DanBa with all the device that support USB Audio (with or without USB Audio Player Pro), but I don't know all the device in the list.

So here I am to ask: what's is the cheapest solution out there?

I'm looking for a smartphone (not a tablet) that have a microSD slot.

I think that a Galaxy S3 is a good choice, but is not so cheap (here in Italy I can find it at 280€).

Anyone knows an alternative?

Many thanks!


http://www.kogan.com/au/shop/?keywords=samsung&keywords=galaxy&keywords=s3&order_by=price&price=[311,3000]&gclid=CPbXlszz27ICFbBUpgodCQkAvA

post #3941 of 5242

 

Also.. Swappa is an option.  I got my S4 there (select the geographic market in the upper right hand corner of the screen)... sale was very smooth and the phones arrived exactly as described.

post #3942 of 5242

Thanks for the answer.

The prices on kogan ar not so dissimilar here in Italy and on Swappa there is no good offer for europeans...

 

It is a pity that the Motorola G has not the microSD slot: would be the ideal solution...

post #3943 of 5242
In relation to the Moto G, what of the WiFi enabled battery powered hard drive products to stream off board files wirelessly to the phone ?

AFAIK KitKat on Moto G does not support external USB connected drives natively, without using a third party app (I can't verify this, but it appears to be the case from what i've read online, generally).

However, from what i gather there is no standard codecs support with these WiFi drives (have seen no mention of FLAC with any of them), and it appears Android won't allow you to access the internet via your mobile network whilst your phone is connected to WiFi network, even while connected to a WiFi network thats disconnected from the web...

I would be eager to hear of anyone's experiences regarding portable WiFi drives, particularly with stock KitKat Moto G, using a DAC/amp connected by USB, reading lossless codecs...

I guess I could be willing to sacrifice a mobile internet connection "some of the time" in order to listen to lossless audio in 196khz/24bit from a £99 mobile phone source, should that be case.
post #3944 of 5242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swab View Post

In relation to the Moto G, what of the WiFi enabled battery powered hard drive products to stream off board files wirelessly to the phone ?

AFAIK KitKat on Moto G does not support external USB connected drives natively, without using a third party app (I can't verify this, but it appears to be the case from what i've read online, generally).

However, from what i gather there is no standard codecs support with these WiFi drives (have seen no mention of FLAC with any of them), and it appears Android won't allow you to access the internet via your mobile network whilst your phone is connected to WiFi network, even while connected to a WiFi network thats disconnected from the web...

I would be eager to hear of anyone's experiences regarding portable WiFi drives, particularly with stock KitKat Moto G, using a DAC/amp connected by USB, reading lossless codecs...

I guess I could be willing to sacrifice a mobile internet connection "some of the time" in order to listen to lossless audio in 196khz/24bit from a £99 mobile phone source, should that be case.

 

If you use Bubble UPnP then you'll be able to stream FLAC from any of those drives, a good option for non-expandable memory devices and one I was about to mention here actually.

post #3945 of 5242

Sony PHA-2 USB DAC/amp, Xperia Z & USB Audio Recorder PRO:

http://xperiarx.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-36.html

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs