Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 261

post #3901 of 5430

Almost certain that any phone that fully supports SDXC with exFAT will have it working. Unlike the 32GB to 64GB change up, there isn't a format change. Still SDXC, most likely still SDXC until 2TB.

post #3902 of 5430
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

Almost certain that any phone that fully supports SDXC with exFAT will have it working. Unlike the 32GB to 64GB change up, there isn't a format change. Still SDXC, most likely still SDXC until 2TB.

And like the 64gb cards before even phones that do not support SDXC should work if the card is reformatted to Fat32.
post #3903 of 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post


No, your Note 3 is not, in fact, limited to 64gb smily_headphones1.gif

Manufacturers state the highest storage available at the time of a phones release, but the 128gb cards will work. I've been amongst the first to get each new class of card from 4gb all the way up to 64gb (my YouTube video showing the S2 with a 64gb card was the first in the world to show this, for example), and they've all worked regardless of what the manufacturer says the maximum capacity is.

Now that's helpful info, thanks!

post #3904 of 5430
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
 

Now that's helpful info, thanks!

 

You're welcome! Now that you know that I have another set of eyes on the look out for the arrival of these cards in case I miss it :beerchug:

post #3905 of 5430
Two questions:

1. Would a combo card reader/USB OTG dongle work to read music off of SD cards concurrently with digital audio out to DAC on something like the Nexus 7(2013 version)? I have a Fiio E17 on the way and am considering a tablet as source, therefore studying options like so many on this thread. I haven't been able to find any posts about this sort of an accessory, however. ( example reader: http://amzn.com/B00COQMSZS )

2. Found one post on the Hisense Sero 7 Pro as viable with USB OTG to DAC but I didn't see it on DanBa's most recent list (post #3885). Anyone else had good experience with this super affordable tablet? (ref: http://www.head-fi.org/t/665260/150-hisense-sero-7-pro-tablet-supports-usb-digital-audio-out)

Many thanks to all who have posted on this thread over the months; it's been a super useful resource for me as I learn about Android digital audio!
Edited by jamisons - 1/8/14 at 10:51am
post #3906 of 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by erythrocytes View Post


Thank you for writing such useful code and providing it for free!

No worries - glad to contribute. I did audio work on XBMC but none of the DSP work (like crossfeed) is in there at this time, so glad to make it available. Keep in mind it would be up to eXtreme/Davy to incorporate at their leisure/discretion. Also keep in mind crossfeed effects are most suitable to earlier stereo recordings in which vocals and instruments were often hard-panned left or right and less so to more modern recordings in which the recording engineers balance left/right "placement".

 

That said it's written so the effects are very customizable and you can make the soundstage do all kinds of fun things :)

post #3907 of 5430

Chord Hugo reference-grade DAC/headphone amp & Android-based USB audio:

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=92

 

"Called Hugo (because you can take Hugo wherever ‘you-go’), the new device offers studio-master-tape sound quality, advanced connectivity and uncompromising file playback capability, all from a palm-sized player. Hugo is the world’s most advanced headphone amp/DAC, offering five digital inputs including A2DP aptX Bluetooth, plus advanced 384kHz PCM and DSD 128 playback for today’s high-resolution DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition) music files. 

 

Hugo has a built-in battery-charging circuit, with a full charge reached in approximately two hours. Hugo takes no power over its USB input (as this is severely limited with many partnering products) and only takes signal data, therefore, it is fully compatible with all iPhone, iPad and Android devices."

 

 

post #3908 of 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
 

Chord Hugo reference-grade DAC/headphone amp & Android-based USB audio:

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=92

 

"Called Hugo (because you can take Hugo wherever ‘you-go’), the new device offers studio-master-tape sound quality, advanced connectivity and uncompromising file playback capability, all from a palm-sized player. Hugo is the world’s most advanced headphone amp/DAC, offering five digital inputs including A2DP aptX Bluetooth, plus advanced 384kHz PCM and DSD 128 playback for today’s high-resolution DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition) music files. 

 

Hugo has a built-in battery-charging circuit, with a full charge reached in approximately two hours. Hugo takes no power over its USB input (as this is severely limited with many partnering products) and only takes signal data, therefore, it is fully compatible with all iPhone, iPad and Android devices."

sounds baller, but missing new info: what's the price of this bad boy?

post #3909 of 5430

Two DACs tested with a US version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, 32GB WiFi version (SM-P600) with a USB OTG cable (stock Android 4.3 build JSS15J.P600UEUBMK1).  Both worked well.

 

HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny (http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=107)

 

Behringer UCA202 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx)

 

 

FWIW, both of these were tested with successful results with the Galaxy S3 (AT&T stock Android 4.3 build JSS15J.I747UCUEMJB) and the Acer C720 Chromebook (just got it and it's a great little streaming source!).


Edited by sperho - 1/8/14 at 6:28pm
post #3910 of 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperho View Post
 

Two DACs tested with a US version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, 32GB WiFi version (SM-P600) with a USB OTG cable (stock Android 4.3 build JSS15J.P600UEUBMK1).  Both worked well.

 

HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny (http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=107)

 

Behringer UCA202 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx)

 

 

FWIW, both of these were tested with successful results with the Galaxy S3 (AT&T stock Android 4.3 build JSS15J.I747UCUEMJB) and the Acer C720 Chromebook (just got it and it's a great little streaming source!).

lol which one do you think has better sound quality? I would love to hear your impressions/comparisons posted on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/696401/giant-list-of-sub-200-portable-dacs-w-their-chips-price :regular_smile : also, if any other owners of budget equipment want to post their recommendations/comparisons there, i think it would be really helpful for people looking to buy something

post #3911 of 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

lol which one do you think has better sound quality? I would love to hear your impressions/comparisons posted on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/696401/giant-list-of-sub-200-portable-dacs-w-their-chips-price :regular_smile : also, if any other owners of budget equipment want to post their recommendations/comparisons there, i think it would be really helpful for people looking to buy something

I doubt that I am qualified to make informed subjective comments when it comes to comparing USB DACs, but I can say this:  they both sound equivalent to me (they are the only DACs that I own) and both are better sounding than the onboard DACs of all of my devices. I'm feeding signal to an Emotiva A-100 Mini-X that is driving HiFiMan HE-500 headphones.  My ears probably aren't good enough to say much more than that.  See my first post on the Head-Fi forums:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-impressions-and-feedback/10635#post_10133122


Edited by sperho - 1/8/14 at 6:44pm
post #3912 of 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperho View Post
 

I doubt that I am qualified to make informed subjective comments when it comes to comparing USB DACs, but I can say this:  they both sound equivalent to me (they are the only DACs that I own) and both are better sounding than the onboard DACs of all of my devices. I'm feeding signal to an Emotiva A-100 Mini-X that is driving HiFiMan HE-500 headphones.  My ears probably aren't good enough to say much more than that.  See my first post on the Head-Fi forums:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-impressions-and-feedback/10635#post_10133122

hahah lol... i've actually experienced kinda similar thing. the dacs I've tried seem the same & actually the sonic improvements over the sound card is kinda subtle so far.

post #3913 of 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

hahah lol... i've actually experienced kinda similar thing. the dacs I've tried seem the same & actually the sonic improvements over the sound card is kinda subtle so far.

Yeah, I wish had good enough ears to be a DAC afficianado, but alas, no.  It sure is easier on my wallet that I'm not!

post #3914 of 5430

I've posted this in the Alphadogs thread HERE, can add this to the list.

post #3915 of 5430

Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckyosho View Post
 

Found meself a good value DAC with HP out for portable use(at least while resting and a stack that can still fit my hands) with the Alpha:). It can drive the AD no problem and at quite low volume adjustment(software).
This thing sounds great for $66(up there in terms of  Price/Perf. Ratio just like the AD) and can do Hi-Res to boot.
Using it like so...........GS3(phone)->UAPP(Usb Audio Player Pro App.)->Xmos DAC(with external batt.)->AD.
I have tried the AD with portable gears I own(O2/ODAC,C5/UD110,D-Zero,Apex Glacier) and the Xmos DAC is my best sounding yet(at least for me).

The downside is you have to feed the DAC power(external 5V batt or DC supply) and it has no physical volume control( I'm using UAPP software volume).

 

 

 

I find a XMOS 384K/32bit PCM5102 DAC on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XMOS-384K-32bit-PCM5102-DAC-USB-to-Fiber-Coax-RCA-Jack-USB-power-LCM-/190881851691?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2c7171e92b

 

 

Where do you get your external battery?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs