Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 203

post #3031 of 5428

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
 

Apparently, the LG G2 is not able to output USB audio up to 24/192 to an extenal DAC using legacy music player (i.e. non-USB Audio Recorder PRO music player).

 

DanBa, thanks for the update. Basically what it means is that LG used a 24/192 capable chip to make internally D-A converted audio non-downsampled, instead of making the entire audio layer capable to output non-downsampled digital audio. To me - a strange move. If they bothered to fiddle with OS to make the first part happen, why not add a couple of minor tweaks to enable the second?....

post #3032 of 5428

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

The amp runs at full power and the phone reduces the volume of the music digitally.  So noise and a loss of sound quality. 

 

 

According to HRT, the microStreamer has a digitally-controlled analog volume control:

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/microstreamer

 

"Dual purpose built, it incorporates both a high–performance headphone amplifier with an analog volume control that allows you to connect the microStreamer between your computer and headphones; and a fixed-level, low impedance 2.25V line output that allows you to connect between your computer and home stereo, other entertainment system or to powered loudspeakers.

Volume control of microStreamer’s OCL (output capacitor-less) headphone amplifier is accomplished by using the digital ‘slide’ control on the host computer’s music playback software to adjust microStreamers’s internal analog volume attenuator. This clever analogue attenuation arrangement allows the full audio quality of the microStreamer to remain pure, clean and full-ranged, avoiding the known sonic degradation of digital attenuators."

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2790#post_9674021

 

Such an analog volume control of the USB DAC/amp is adjusted by a virtual or physical up/down knob of the PC which has an implementation of USB HID (Human Interface Device).

The digital volume control of the USB DAC/amp is adjusted by a virtual up/down knob of a music player running on the PC.

 

I don’t have a USB DAC/amp which has a digitally-controlled analog volume control, I don’t know if Android device has an implementation of USB HID.

post #3033 of 5428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
 

 

According to HRT, the microStreamer has a digitally-controlled analog volume control:

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/microstreamer

 

"Dual purpose built, it incorporates both a high–performance headphone amplifier with an analog volume control that allows you to connect the microStreamer between your computer and headphones; and a fixed-level, low impedance 2.25V line output that allows you to connect between your computer and home stereo, other entertainment system or to powered loudspeakers.

Volume control of microStreamer’s OCL (output capacitor-less) headphone amplifier is accomplished by using the digital ‘slide’ control on the host computer’s music playback software to adjust microStreamers’s internal analog volume attenuator. This clever analogue attenuation arrangement allows the full audio quality of the microStreamer to remain pure, clean and full-ranged, avoiding the known sonic degradation of digital attenuators."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2790#post_9674021

 

Such an analog volume control of the USB DAC/amp is adjusted by a virtual or physical up/down knob of the PC which has an implementation of USB HID (Human Interface Device).

The digital volume control of the USB DAC/amp is adjusted by a virtual up/down knob of a music player running on the PC.

 

I don’t have a USB DAC/amp which has a digitally-controlled analog volume control, I don’t know if Android device has an implementation of USB HID.

Yes, digitally controlled analog volume.  Unfortunately, at least the Android 4.1.2 with the Touchwiz overlay that I am running on the Note II cannot control the volume controls of the Microstreamer.  It is ok with my Momentums, but basically unlistenable with my W4Rs.  This is why I am excited for the GEEK, which has analog controls on the device with a similar form factor.  The only issue with it is that it will be a 32 bit device that might be harder for Android to deal with and it might draw too much power to use without an external hub (defeating the whole point of something so small).  The Microstreamer, BTW is excellent with a laptop.

post #3034 of 5428

THIS are good news:

 

Meizu MX3 unveiled with Exynos 5 Octa, 5.1-inch screen, Wolfson audio and 128GB option 

 

...

Another notable feature is that the MX3 comes with a Wolfson audio chip, which apparently enables a high 113dB signal-to-noise ratio plus a low distortion rate of just 0.002 percent. Like some of the latest Chinese flagship phones, you'll also find Dirac HD codec and a dedicated audio amplifier on the here. On a related subject, the MX3 has a triple-mic setup -- just like the Moto X -- for improved voice quality.

...

The price goes from CN¥2,499 (about US$410) for the 16GB model, all the way up to CN¥3,999 (US$650) for a whopping 128GB option

 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/meizu-mx3-launched/

post #3035 of 5428
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

 The only issue with it is that it will be a 32 bit device that might be harder for Android to deal with and it might draw too much power to use without an external hub (defeating the whole point of something so small).  

 

Dunno about the Geek, but a 32bit/384kHz M2Tech HiFace DAC is not a problem for a properly designed Android device like SGS3. It turned out a little problematic for a weaker Android phone, like Xperia Sola, but my wild guess is that a Sola is simply not powerfull enough to handle high bit rate digital audio in real time. Initially I tend to think it was due to power issues on Xperia OTG, but now I suspect it might be simply a matter of computing power and latency.  

post #3036 of 5428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramilacaponi View Post
 

THIS are good news:

 

Meizu MX3 unveiled with Exynos 5 Octa, 5.1-inch screen, Wolfson audio and 128GB option 

 

...

Another notable feature is that the MX3 comes with a Wolfson audio chip, which apparently enables a high 113dB signal-to-noise ratio plus a low distortion rate of just 0.002 percent. Like some of the latest Chinese flagship phones, you'll also find Dirac HD codec and a dedicated audio amplifier on the here. On a related subject, the MX3 has a triple-mic setup -- just like the Moto X -- for improved voice quality.

...

The price goes from CN¥2,499 (about US$410) for the 16GB model, all the way up to CN¥3,999 (US$650) for a whopping 128GB option

 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/meizu-mx3-launched/

Thing with Meizus is, they're pretty great on their own, at least for IEMs. I've read a review on MX 4-core that stated it had the blackest background and overall one of the best SQ among portable devices, including DAPs. Not every external DAC/amp will be an improvement with them.

 

EDIT: Here's the review, actually:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sound-smartphone-meizu-mx-4-core
Obviously, there's more, but this one comes from an audiophile.


Edited by hoichi - 9/4/13 at 7:00am
post #3037 of 5428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_huMMer View Post
 

 

Dunno about the Geek, but a 32bit/384kHz M2Tech HiFace DAC is not a problem for a properly designed Android device like SGS3. It turned out a little problematic for a weaker Android phone, like Xperia Sola, but my wild guess is that a Sola is simply not powerfull enough to handle high bit rate digital audio in real time. Initially I tend to think it was due to power issues on Xperia OTG, but now I suspect it might be simply a matter of computing power and latency.  

The GEEK is also a headphone amplifier that for base model can put out 450mW.  The top version is at a full 1W.  I am not sure how they generate that kind of power from a USB port (I have only rudimentary engineering knowledge), but I can imagine it is drawing more than a lot of DACs.  The 32 bits not about power, but rather the complexity of the codec.  So far, no 24/192 device with custom drivers has worked with my Note II.  And neither has a 32bite device.  Just about all 24/96 devices have (USB 1.0 spec).  As for processing power, the Note II has the same processor, but higher clock speed as the SG3, so that shouldn't be a limiting factor.  

post #3038 of 5428
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

The GEEK is also a headphone amplifier that for base model can put out 450mW.  The top version is at a full 1W.  I am not sure how they generate that kind of power from a USB port (I have only rudimentary engineering knowledge), but I can imagine it is drawing more than a lot of DACs.  The 32 bits not about power, but rather the complexity of the codec.  So far, no 24/192 device with custom drivers has worked with my Note II.  And neither has a 32bite device.  Just about all 24/96 devices have (USB 1.0 spec).  As for processing power, the Note II has the same processor, but higher clock speed as the SG3, so that shouldn't be a limiting factor.  

If you have a good store near you, carrying M2Tech, just stop by and give it a try.
post #3039 of 5428
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldzbitz View Post
 

Hi, I've just been lurking in this thread for some time. I own a Behringer UCA202 and just recently got a SGS3. I bought a USB OTG cable a while ago and I'm happy to report that I was able to get it working. :)

 

Here are some photos:

 

 

293408_4217301504386_1821612623_n.jpg

A1ecCcYCEAAqwRd.jpg:large

(sorry for the crappy photos, just took them with a low-spec'd phone, LOL)

What model of galaxy S3 you have? I have the Rogers Galaxy S3 I747M with 4.1.2 and would like to use the Behringer UCA202 to have the  best sound to connect to my Home Harmon Receiver. Are you able to play Flac files with this setup?

Thank you

Daniel

post #3040 of 5428

 does anyone have any details about the new Samsung note 3 supporting 24bit-192k audio files?

 

...can it output through USB  24/192 ...  Or at least 24/96 ? 

post #3041 of 5428
post #3042 of 5428
Quote:

Sounds promissing, if only it's not the same way LG went (i.e. it's 24/192 if processed internally, but back to 16/48 if output via USB (if ever...)

post #3043 of 5428
Quote:

Sounds promissing, if only it's not the same way LG went

(i.e. it's 24/192 if processed internally, but back to 16/48 if output via USB (if ever...)  <-- THIS IS REALLY STUPID FROM LG !!! :mad:

post #3044 of 5428

USB audio & Minix Neo X7 Android mini PC:

http://minixforums.com/threads/usb-audio-support.2199/#post-16767

 

Minix Neo X7 > USB audio out >> FiiO E07K USB DAC >> FiiO E09K amp >> headphones

 

 

 

 

post #3045 of 5428
I wonder if Android mini PC can have UARP installed...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs