or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 190

post #2836 of 7131
I finally received my pico dac/amp however I a m unable to get it working with my verizon galaxy s4. Are there any settings that I may need to change or should it be as simple as plug and play. I am using the forza audioworks cable when I plug it into the phone I receive the usb connector connected but that is all it states and it doesnt state anything when I plug the other end into the pico. I am not able to get any sound through the pico with poweramp. Does poweramp have any setting that need to be changed.
post #2837 of 7131

Just plug and play!

You can also use the stock music player.

 

It should work.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2190#post_9387172

 

 

I am wondering if you have separately tested the different elements of your setup:

Galaxy S4 >> Forza USB OTG cable >> Pico >> headphones

 

. Galaxy S4 in USB host mode:

Galaxy S4 >> USB OTG cable adapter >> simple USB peripheral like USB mouse or USB keyboard

 

. Pico:

PC or Mac >> USB cable provided by HeadAmp >> Pico >> headphones

 

. Forza USB OTG cable:

Galaxy S4 >> USB OTG cable adapter + USB cable provided by HeadAmp >> Pico >> headphones

 

 

USB OTG cable adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=micro+USB+OTG+cable+adapter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amicro+USB+OTG+cable+adapter

post #2838 of 7131
The pico didnt come with a usb cable but I did connect it to a pc with my ultraviolet cable and it functions perfectly.
post #2839 of 7131
I downloaded usb audio recorder pro and it does initialize the usb device or so it says but before it states that it says it cannot do something and that is usually because of not enough power and to try a powered usb hub.
post #2840 of 7131
Ok it states couldnt get the value of a gain/volume control this usually means there is not enough power and to try and use a powered usb hub.
post #2841 of 7131

Hey guys, 

 

here's some Android Phone news you might be interested in:

 

This caught my eye. Does not say what DAC chip it will have but still interesting:

 

The G2 also includes a 13-megapixel camera with optical image stabilization, 16GB or 32GB of on-board storage, a 3,000mAh battery, and enhanced audio capabilities. LG states that the new flagship is the first smartphone to utilize 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback, which is said to create studio-quality sound.

 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/lg-unveils-high-powered-and-uniquely-designed-g2-smartphone

post #2842 of 7131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZheadcase View Post

Hey guys, 

 

here's some Android Phone news you might be interested in:

 

This caught my eye. Does not say what DAC chip it will have but still interesting:

 

The G2 also includes a 13-megapixel camera with optical image stabilization, 16GB or 32GB of on-board storage, a 3,000mAh battery, and enhanced audio capabilities. LG states that the new flagship is the first smartphone to utilize 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback, which is said to create studio-quality sound.

 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/lg-unveils-high-powered-and-uniquely-designed-g2-smartphone

That's great news! With only 16GB/32GB of storage I wonder how well the chip in this would handle streaming music from say, Spotify or Google Music? 

post #2843 of 7131

On LG G2: it is still unclear to me, whether the phone will be able to output USB audio up to 24/192 to an external DAC, or would it only be capable of playing this type of content via its onboard DAC/3.5mm output jack? The marketing text, as usual, is as unclear, as possible...

post #2844 of 7131

The new Motorola phones being pre ordered on Verizon seem to be a step back. Still no USB audio out and worse, no removable SD card ability...In short, primitive sound and worse memory than the phones being replaced. I'll give Samsung a good look next time.

post #2845 of 7131
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1776 View Post

The new Motorola phones being pre ordered on Verizon seem to be a step back. Still no USB audio out and worse, no removable SD card ability...In short, primitive sound and worse memory than the phones being replaced. I'll give Samsung a good look next time.

Do you have some solid info on the headphone out of the new moto phones? The moto x in particular?
post #2846 of 7131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_huMMer View Post

On LG G2: it is still unclear to me, whether the phone will be able to output USB audio up to 24/192 to an external DAC, or would it only be capable of playing this type of content via its onboard DAC/3.5mm output jack? The marketing text, as usual, is as unclear, as possible...


I'd put money on the fact that that it'll be able to output 24/192 from the 3.5 headphone jack. LG has to think about the average consumer here and how to best market to them. WE may be willing to buy/run an external DAC but the majority of consumers would not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1776 View Post

The new Motorola phones being pre ordered on Verizon seem to be a step back. Still no USB audio out and worse, no removable SD card ability...In short, primitive sound and worse memory than the phones being replaced. I'll give Samsung a good look next time.


I couldn't be happier with S4. I've been running with Samsung ever since the Epic Touch 4G back in 2009. But this G2 looks interesting.

Sent from Beanstown, USA.
post #2847 of 7131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post


Do you have some solid info on the headphone out of the new moto phones? The moto x in particular?

I do not understand the question. I have no reason to believe the built in DAC is high rez but I know there is no USB digital out (perhaps USB Audio Recorder Pro works). The Verizon Wireless site advises the phone has no SD card slot and is limited to 32GB of built in memory, making it unsat for serious music. In short, the three new phones come wit a lot of bells and whistles that I have no interest in but do not do audio as well as their existing phones.

 

I am speaking of the new Droid Max, Ultra and Mini series of phones on pre order at Verizon.

 

The Moto X has similar problems, does not have an SD card option, is limited to 32GB storage, does not seem to do USB audio out, and is limited to 720 HD instead of real HD.

 

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Moto-X/moto-x,en_US,pg.html

post #2848 of 7131
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1776 View Post

I do not understand the question. I have no reason to believe the built in DAC is high rez but I know there is no USB digital out (perhaps USB Audio Recorder Pro works). The Verizon Wireless site advises the phone has no SD card slot and is limited to 32GB of built in memory, making it unsat for serious music. In short, the three new phones come wit a lot of bells and whistles that I have no interest in but do not do audio as well as their existing phones.

I am speaking of the new Droid Max, Ultra and Mini series of phones on pre order at Verizon.

The Moto X has similar problems, does not have an SD card option, is limited to 32GB storage, does not seem to do USB audio out, and is limited to 720 HD instead of real HD.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Moto-X/moto-x,en_US,pg.html

Okay, more specifically I was curious as to whether there was solid information that the moto x does not have usb out, and also whether the moto x has less than transparent headphone out quality.

Those two things seem to still be up in the air at this point.
post #2849 of 7131

Has anyone used this device with Android USB digital output?  I would like to use this to output S/PDIF to by iBasso DB2.

 

Matrix 24 bit 96 KHz USB to Coaxial Converter

 

If not, any educated guesses as to whether or not it would work?  I noticed some of this companies other products are listed as known good.  I hate to buy a phone and a convertor only to find out it doesn't do what I need.


Edited by msromike - 8/9/13 at 11:56am
post #2850 of 7131
Quote:
Originally Posted by satwilson View Post

Danba, happy to report my Xperia TL, 4.1.2, Neutron, OTG, USB hub, AGD NFB-12, WORKS FINE! No UARP, Neutron. Sucks battery fast. Going to get a HifiMeDIY mini Sabre DAC to go portable. Will update after I get it. Yikes!


Want to run this by the forum for comments. I am thinking Xperia TL, OTG, USB HUB(4 PORT), HIFIMEDIY DAC, SR71A. The DAC is plugged into one of the ports on the hub, AND an external battery phone charger(Lithium Ion, 5v, 2200ma battery) to another port on the hub, to help power the DAC and prevent excess drain on the phone battery. The batteries are available at NewEgg, etc.  @SV_huMMer, used your idea of the generic hub to fool the phone into thinking no excess current draw, thanks. Will plugging the battery to the hub cause any problems? I am not a jogger, or wanting to carry this around, just something to take camping, upstairs to bed,etc. Thanks, satwilson

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs