Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 161

post #2401 of 5399

Just got an S4 and ordered an OTG cable, hopefully it works perfectly with my E17. Hopefuly ill know very soon.

post #2402 of 5399

A little background info, I originally purchased the HTC One but went through 5 of them due to their horrendous quality control. Glass popping up, gaps in the gapless design, just about every screen had at least one stuck pixel. It was just a headache, so I took it back for the S4. I had the S2 and S3 so I knew samsung had quality. My issue is that the One had a good, amplified headphone jack. Using the One with my headphones and hooked up in my car was incredible. That 2.55V headphone amp (http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/htc-one-hands-on-design-and-hardware/) truly made a big difference. But, as I stated I've had no luck with their build quality along with many others over on XDA. So, I decided to get a portable amp/DAC in order to take the audio quality out of the equation between the two phones. My true question is that when you connect an amp to the USB Audio out of the S4 does the DAC in the Fiio replace the Galaxy DAC? I've read that the E07K doesn't work right now with the S4 through the USB. If I get the E17 and plug it into the USB will it make a true difference? Compared to plugging the E07K in through the headphone jack. Also, would I need to purchase a micro to mini USB cable separately correct? Is there any certain variety of USB cable? Or are they all the same? Also, as far as Android goes, is PowerAmp the best option to make music sound better? I subscribe to Google Music All Access and upload my own files but if I get this amp I'll probably store locally on the S4. Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked through the S4 thread and didn't see too much. Also, if this isn't a good place to ask all this let me know and I can take it elsewhere. I tried in the Portable Amp section and no one responded. Thanks in advance!


Edited by KG216 - 5/30/13 at 10:18am
post #2403 of 5399

Strictly my opinion...If you are interested in getting the best sound from your phone without an outboard DAC/Amp, try Neutron/ If you want to use a digital out on a lot of phones, the only option is USB Audio Recorder Pro, which sounds great but is not very user friendly. I have both on my phone and have duped the libraries, but I do not put all my music (a good 50GB) on my phone. I load a few hours of music, say 50 songs, and have plenty of room left both on the SD card  (where my Neutron music goes) and on the phones internal memory, which is where USB AR Pro puts their music.(no idea why)

post #2404 of 5399

Thanks! I've read about Neutron on here before but really looking into it. I just took a look at it and am definitely going to have to download and give a try.

post #2405 of 5399
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1776 View Post

... I load a few hours of music, say 50 songs, and have plenty of room left both on the SD card  (where my Neutron music goes) and on the phones internal memory, which is where USB AR Pro puts their music.(no idea why)

 

 

The USB Audio Recorder PRO app can play music files stored on the MicroSD card.

post #2406 of 5399

Remember, the app comes with no instructions...The file is in memory and I have no idea how to move it. Getting it to work at all was hellish. I fear fiddling with it will mess up the operation I now have.


Edited by James1776 - 5/30/13 at 3:22pm
post #2407 of 5399

My music files are stored on a 64GB MicroSD card (i.e. /mnt/extSdCard) in the directory named "Musique".

 

 

 

post #2408 of 5399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab111 View Post

... USB Audio Recorder Pro does work although 1/2 of my library is in mp3 so I can't really use it, nor is there a random feature as discussed above...

 

 

MP3 music files can be converted to FLAC music files by an application like the free foobar2000.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

post #2409 of 5399

Does the S4 with AOSP ROM's work with *any DAC's?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

 

I confirm that S4 did not work with any of my DACs that used to work with the Note 2 (Apex glacier and ODAC), so I skipped it, maybe the HTC one (the one with the microSD) will be my next purchase.

 

 

Just a heads up.  The HTC One does not have MicroSD capability.  

Nor does it have a removable battery.

post #2410 of 5399

How did it get there? Mine are in a folder called Audio recorder pro recordings in the internal memory..

post #2411 of 5399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post

Does the S4 with AOSP ROM's work with *any DAC's?

 

 

Just a heads up.  The HTC One does not have MicroSD capability.  

Nor does it have a removable battery.

I don't know about AOSP ROM, but it will not work with any DAC as many audiophile DACs require more power than an android can provide. Also, some DAC needs an additional software installed to work, and android cannot provide that.

post #2412 of 5399

I don't know how apropos this is, but in case it proves useful to someone: directly out of the headphone jack, the Droid DNA by HTC (a relative, although not a clone, of the HTC One) sounds worlds better than the S3. Both the S3 and the DNA nominally support USB DACs. However, I found that the DNA seems to have a substantially higher number of issues requiring an unplug/replug, or an outright resetting of the phone. This could be my unit in particular, I am not certain. But the S3 has certainly been more stable for me when using a USB DAC. For the sake of reference, I've used an ODAC/O2, Apex Glacier, iBasso D-Zero, and Meier PCSTEP with them. Hope this helps somebody. 

 

If HTC would make a device that isn't phablet-sized with a micro-SD card slot (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), the upscale headphone amplifier, and reliable USB DAC support, it would pretty much be curtains for everybody else IMO. Even the call audio on the DNA is noticeably quite a bit better than the S3, and I'm a guy who loves the S3. C'est la vie, I 'spose...

post #2413 of 5399

I just picked up the HRT MicroStreamer to use with my Verizon issue Galaxy S4. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work. I'm getting the "fast-forward" on play and though I have been able to get it to play with USB Audio Recorder Pro, it seems to be fixed at line out as the volume controls do not have any effect. 

 

I'm hoping it's just my noobines and I'm doing something wrong, but probably this just another confirmation that Samsung messed with a good thing, as the MicroStreamer does work natively with the GS3. 

post #2414 of 5399
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

I don't know how apropos this is, but in case it proves useful to someone: directly out of the headphone jack, the Droid DNA by HTC (a relative, although not a clone, of the HTC One) sounds worlds better than the S3. Both the S3 and the DNA nominally support USB DACs. However, I found that the DNA seems to have a substantially higher number of issues requiring an unplug/replug, or an outright resetting of the phone. This could be my unit in particular, I am not certain. But the S3 has certainly been more stable for me when using a USB DAC. For the sake of reference, I've used an ODAC/O2, Apex Glacier, iBasso D-Zero, and Meier PCSTEP with them. Hope this helps somebody. 

 

If HTC would make a device that isn't phablet-sized with a micro-SD card slot (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), the upscale headphone amplifier, and reliable USB DAC support, it would pretty much be curtains for everybody else IMO. Even the call audio on the DNA is noticeably quite a bit better than the S3, and I'm a guy who loves the S3. C'est la vie, I 'spose...

 

FYI USB audio works on the international version of the DNA, the HTC Butterfly - it has the inbuilt headphone amp and micro SD slot :)

post #2415 of 5399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

Just got an S4 and ordered an OTG cable, hopefully it works perfectly with my E17. Hopefuly ill know very soon.


Tried it awhile ago using the Galaxy S4 i9505 (Quad core with Snapdragon DAC) and it works.

 

Samsung S4 > USB OTG cable > E17 > Sennheiser HD205

 

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3481/98376110201164526697556.jpg

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs