btw, I've just received a newsletter from FiiO stating that they would be demo'ing a prototype "Android cellphone DAC Amp" at HKTDC this year. Yay FiiO!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- USB DAC recommendation???? Last post on 6/13/12 at 8:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- Can two DACs interfere with each other? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:59pm in Computer Audio
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 5/16/15 at 5:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC of Sony Xperia S Last post on 8/27/13 at 12:57am in Portable Source Gear
- Samsung galaxy nexus Last post on 11/17/12 at 10:30pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Wow is the first word that popped into my mind after putting on these IEMs. Dunu has outdone themselves again. SOUND These are quite possibly the best IEMs I have ever listened to. These...
Android phones and USB DACs - Page 16post #226 of 87958/2/12 at 12:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #227 of 87958/2/12 at 5:16ampost #228 of 87958/2/12 at 7:01amQuote:
judging from the below link, looks like it will be around October then (for demo). Release to follow at some point after I guess.post #229 of 87958/2/12 at 10:21am
I hope this gets sorted soon, as I had a Nexus 7 (had screen lift issues so went back) - and the SQ was rather poor compared to my Iphone 4 and Wife's IPAD 3
annoyingly poor, was even noticeable with low-bitrate videos etc - so to add a DAC to it would be great :)
atm - looks like my best option is an IPAD 3, or for extreme qualty an IPAD 3 + external DAC
obviously a Nexus 7 + external DAC would be much cheaper :)post #230 of 87958/4/12 at 4:12am
A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III for the time being:
Samsung Galaxy S III > digital audio stream >> USB OTG cable with USB Micro-A plug inserted in the S III >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
. AMB Labs Gamma2:
. Behringer UCA222:
. Beresford Caiman:
. C-Media chipset-based sound card Dynamode 7 channel USB 2.0 (USB DAC/amp):
. Cakewalk Sonar SPS 25:
. Corsair HS1 Gaming headset (USB DAC/amp/headphones):
. FiiO E7 (USB DAC/amp):
. Furutech ADL Cruise (USB DAC/amp):
. GoVibe DAC:
. GoVibe Mini USB DAC:
. GoVibe Petite (USB DAC/amp):
. HRT Music Streamer II:
. HeadAmp Pico (USB DAC/amp): (apparently with only US S III for the time being)
. HeadRoom Total BitHead (USB DAC/amp):
. HiFiMan Express HM-101:
. iBasso D-Zero (USB DAC/amp):
. iBasso D2 Boa (USB DAC/amp):
. iBasso D2+ Boa (USB DAC/amp):
. iBasso D5 (USB DAC/amp):
. iBasso D12 (USB DAC/amp):
. KingRex UD-01:
. Microsoft Philips Digital Sound System 80 (USB DAC/amp/speakers):
. NuForce Icon HDP (USB DAC/preamp/amp):
. Objective DAC (ODAC):
. ODAC+O2 (USB DAC/amp):
. Ordnance .25 (USB DAC/amp):
. Topping D1 Mark 2 (USB DAC/amp):
. Topping TP30 (USB DAC/amp):
Edited by DanBa - 8/7/12 at 3:55ampost #231 of 87958/7/12 at 3:55am
Apparently "Galaxy S III + (some) USB DAC" and "(some) computer + (some) USB DAC" have at least the same sound quality:
"How about the SQ of the S3 + NuForce Icon HDP? What headphones do you use?"
"It's quite good. Slightly, not very noticeable, better than it was connected to my computer.
So if you wanna know more about this, you can just simply refer to those review of HDP.
P.S. I am using HD600 & UM1 for testing"
post #232 of 87958/9/12 at 8:00am
A custom Nexus 7 interworks with a standard USB DAC FiiO E10 (that doesn’t work with stock Samsung Galaxy S III for the time being):
custom Nexus 7 > digital audio stream >> USB DAC/amp FiiO E10 >> Sennheiser HD-380
Instructions for customizing a Nexus 7:
Back up your asound.conf and add this (or for simplicity sake, replace it with this)
This allows me to use my Nexus 7 to play over my Fiio E10 USB DAC, N7 + E10 + HD380 == fun.
It's too late for me to work on combining this with the stock asound.conf.
It's in /etc/ on stock rom and works once replaced."
"We are lucky, no such file or luck on GN or SGS3 yet, need to first understand how alsa works on those phones.
Yes, double check you need the alteration.
I never got sounds out the USB DAC without it.
And now with it, plays fine with DAC, but also when DAC is not plugged, plays sounds as if I never changed anything.
Which is nice either way, not needing to change the file all the time.
Need to find out if/how I can modify the default device for np and sgs3 now, they neither had nor sorry the file.
No support meaning adding the file doesn't change anything there."post #233 of 87958/9/12 at 9:04ampost #234 of 87958/9/12 at 2:40pmThread Starterpost #235 of 87958/9/12 at 8:18pm
I wonder how long will it take for Android device to support true 24bit USB DAC like the Ibasso DX100. Currently there is just no option to get the nice interface of an application like Poweramp and the quality of a true 24bit player.post #236 of 87958/9/12 at 10:00pmMy understanding is that Android OS resamples everything to 44.1 16 stereo. Unless some way similar to ASIO or kernel streaming is implemented, I don't see this changing soon since USB audio was just recently added.
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2post #237 of 87958/10/12 at 12:14pmpost #238 of 87958/10/12 at 1:40pm
Android relies on Linux for core system services as driver model.
The Linux kernel of Android 4.x includes the USB audio driver for ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) which can be compliant with USB Audio Class 2 (UAC 2) devices allowing for 24 bits / 192 kHz among others.
Modders have enabled the standard USB audio feature on Allwinner A10 tablets among others:
Hopefully Google and Android device manufacturers will enable the standard USB audio mode along with the Android-specific USB audio on their stock Android 4.1 devices.
It should be available to everyone, and not only for a few ones hacking their Android device.post #239 of 87958/11/12 at 3:18ampost #240 of 87958/11/12 at 4:15am
A custom Google Nexus One interworks with a Plugable UD-160-A USB 2.0 Universal Docking Station based on a C-Media CM-6300 USB audio chip:
- Android phones and USB DACs
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › NEW Chord Electronics Poly & Hugo 2 preorders available now! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 6 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 7 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 7 minutes ago
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line... 12 minutes ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/MISC Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 15 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 16 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear