Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 138

post #2056 of 5784

Here's my experiences with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Fiio E07K.  Plugging in a Lindy micro USB to mini USB results in a notification popping up that a USB device was connected.  HOWEVER it will not pipe the sound out through the E07K using the stock player nor the Neutron MP (in fact nothing else).  An install of the USB Audio Recorder Pro Trial will allow me to play FLAC files as others have discovered.  Completely stock phone with the specifications listed below.  Perhaps I need to root and install a different ROM?

 

Model number

GT-N7100

 

Android version

4.1.2

 

Baseband version

N7100XXDLK7

 

Kernel version

3.0.31-1000653

se.infra@SEP-87 #1

SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 26 08:19:15 KST 2013

post #2057 of 5784

I use myself a Note 2 (international, Exynos based N7100), but I did root it from the beginning ; I'm still on the original stock rom though (4.1.1), I just changed the kernel to Perseus (alpha 34, really stable) because of the sudden death syndrome affecting this model.

It works with a cheap OTG micro-USB to (female) USB (like this one), and this DAC :

http://www.inearmatters.net/2012/09/tiny-dac-big-sound-impression-of-stoner.html

 

It works also connected to a JDS Labs ODAC + O2 headphone amp combo.

 

(tested with Neutron Music Player)

 

I would try first with another cable to diagnose your sound issue (it should work with your stock ROM). 


Edited by oliwek - 4/6/13 at 4:31am
post #2058 of 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1776 View Post

 

I do not understand how this works (as the app has no real instructions). If I load everything, from the home screen, I get a folder icon in the upper left. If I simply hit the play button, it tells me nothing is selected. If I hit on the folder icon, I get a list of files. If I select a file and then hit play, the app plays THAT SONG and nothing else in the folder

 

???

 

Don't use the home screen (i.e. "Main"), use the Play List screen (i.e. "Play List").

 

"If you haven't done so already, please press the 'Help' button, it has some information on the usage and limits.

Basically, it's just a matter of selecting an audio file in a directory using the PlayList tab and that file will be your starting point. Press play when still in the PlayList tab and there you go. When you don't press stop or adjust the playback slider then it will continue playing with the next song when it's finished. Nothing fancy."
 
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1776 View Post

I seem to have to manually select the both the word length (16 or 24) and the frequency (44.1 through the list to 96hz)...I am not able to play from a 16/44.1 to a 24/96 to a 24/48, etc...

 

Is that normal???

 

 

It is not normal.

 

However, only the sample rate is well displayed / updated.

The Input / Output resolution is rather a recording setting. 

post #2059 of 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwek View Post

I use myself a Note 2 (international, Exynos based N7100), but I did root it from the beginning ; I'm still on the original stock rom though (4.1.1), I just changed the kernel to Perseus (alpha 34, really stable) because of the sudden death syndrome affecting this model.

It works with a cheap OTG micro-USB to (female) USB (like this one), and this DAC :

http://www.inearmatters.net/2012/09/tiny-dac-big-sound-impression-of-stoner.html

 

It works also connected to a JDS Labs ODAC + O2 headphone amp combo.

 

(tested with Neutron Music Player)

 

I would try first with another cable to diagnose your sound issue (it should work with your stock ROM). 

Thanks for the reply.  Per this post, JameFiio states that they are not going to declare it compatible; and as usual my lack of luck raised its head.  A real shame as when using the USB Audio Recorder app there was a smile; I really like the (excuse lack of proper terminology) dryness or clinical-ness that the E07k brought to the mix.  The Note 2 paired with an E11 and ATH-M50 is fun enough but rather dark sounding and definitely doesn't have as many details front and centre.  

 

As I'm based in the Middle East, meaning asking about a micro USB OTG cable is an exercise in frustration resulting in my reliance upon Amazon.  I do not think the cable itself is bad; could you please leave your cable unplugged from the DAC and plug it into the Note 2 and tell me whether or not a "USB device connected" notification pops up?  Because that's the behaviour exhibited by my setup.  I'm also sure that the E07K is good as it pops right up on my Linux laptop.

 

If push comes to shove I'll attempt to upgrade the kernel to your recommendation.  While I don't have any problems configuring, building and installing kernels on Linux...I just wanted a phablet that worked.  Of course I want to run a DAC off it so that desire isn't set in stone.  Wondering if it's worth waiting for another stock kernel update or take the plunge of rooting and installing the new kernel.

post #2060 of 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriX View Post

 

I wasn't able to find an answer to your question in the post history so I assume that it went unanswered.  I am interested as I am having the same results with my S3 and microstreamer using USB A.R.Pro.  On the A.R. pro website it indicates that HRT products are not supported.  When I use Neutron Music Player with the microstreamer it indicates that it is downsampling to 16/44.1. Is this, in fact, what is happening?  Does anybody know?  Does the Galaxy Note 2 allow you to send 24/96 to the microstreamer DAC?

 

 

I'm quite surprised to read that.

So far, the USB audio implementation of USB A.R. Pro is more tolerant than the native USB audio of Samsung.

http://developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do?boardName=GeneralB&messageId=227582&startId=zzzzz~

 

Why not email USB A.R. Pro developers?

You could send them the USB A.R. Pro log trace ("Logging - For debugging purposes only. Only change this when you are asked to by our development team").

You could  also send them the USB descriptors of the HRT microStreamer that can be read using the free Microsoft USB View:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/map-and-troubleshoot-your-usb-ports-with-microsoft-usb-view/5982

post #2061 of 5784

I might be wrong but Android usb out only outputs 16/44.1 both poweramp and neutron downsample in the background, Usb recorder pro overcomes this limitation.

post #2062 of 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

 

Don't use the home screen (i.e. "Main"), use the Play List screen (i.e. "Play List").

 

"If you haven't done so already, please press the 'Help' button, it has some information on the usage and limits.

Basically, it's just a matter of selecting an audio file in a directory using the PlayList tab and that file will be your starting point. Press play when still in the PlayList tab and there you go. When you don't press stop or adjust the playback slider then it will continue playing with the next song when it's finished. Nothing fancy."
 
 

 

 

It is not normal.

 

However, only the sample rate is well displayed / updated.

The Input / Output resolution is rather a recording setting. 

Thank you for the info...How do I figure exactly what the app is playing...ie; are my 24/96 files playing back 24/96? The app tells me it is playing a WAV or flac file but nothing else.

post #2063 of 5784

Hm....

 

http://forum.meizu.com/redirect.php?tid=14154&goto=lastpost

 







 

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=16848269831

 

¥289 = $46USD

 

 

I see no reason whatsoever that this wouldn't work with other android devices. I'll happily be the test buy, but I need help ordering through a TaoBao agent since I don't speak Chinese.

post #2064 of 5784
If that dock works with the US S3, I'm in.
post #2065 of 5784

Panvi is reporting some issues with it that Meizu is working with them to resolve, but I don't know if they will be phone specific issues.

 

Still, it's appealing to me that this might be the way I was looking for to turn my phone into a mobile Android HTPC as long as I've got access to a monitor and keyboard. Keep a little USB hub, the dock, and my audio gear in a little bag and bring that over to buddies' apartments instead of my busted ol' laptop (easier when your circle of friends ALWAYS has spare monitors and keyboards). Also breaks down and stores easier than a laptop, even if I brought a portable monitor and/or keyboard.

post #2066 of 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

 

I'm quite surprised to read that.

 

 

So was I.  

 

From http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

 

NOT working audio devices

Manufacturer Model Owned by developers Notes
Beresford Caiman   Tested with HTC Flyer
Carat Ruby 2    
Desk rocker ???    
Digidesign M-Box 1st gen    
  M-Box 2 mini    
Edirol UA-1EX   Works for some
  UA101    
EMU 0202   Not working yet, possible in future
ESI Neon    
  U24    
HRT Music Streamer   Probably all models. The device is recognized, but no audio comes out of it.

 

Quote:

So far, the USB audio implementation of USB A.R. Pro is more tolerant than the native USB audio of Samsung.

http://developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do?boardName=GeneralB&messageId=227582&startId=zzzzz~

 

Yes, and you and others have been doing a great job in tracking and escalating this issue/enhancement.

 

Quote:

Why not email USB A.R. Pro developers?

You could send them the USB A.R. Pro log trace ("Logging - For debugging purposes only. Only change this when you are asked to by our development team").

 

I'm going to do that.  I've attached the log to this post for the curious.

 

 

 

 

 

USBAudioLog-S3/HRTMicrostreamer 24/96 WAV playback 8k .txt file

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:

You could  also send them the USB descriptors of the HRT microStreamer that can be read using the free Microsoft USB View:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/map-and-troubleshoot-your-usb-ports-with-microsoft-usb-view/5982

 

I am on a Mac without Parallels or other virtualized environment.  Is their an OS X equivalent? 

 

EDIT: Checked through XCode tools and found USB Prober.  I think the log should be explicit enough to be useful.  I have attached a txt of the data.

 

 

USB Bus Probe (Microstreamer).txt 10k .txt file

 

 

 

 

Thanks for your help.

 

Much appreciated.

 

Sincerely,

 

- BriX


Edited by BriX - 4/6/13 at 2:49pm
post #2067 of 5784

Are there any short usb micro b to micro b OTG cables? All I see are micro to mini. I need one to connect the s3 to the uha-6s. 

 

It works with the cable I have now but it's super long haha

post #2068 of 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriX View Post

Checked through XCode tools and found USB Prober.  I think the log should be explicit enough to be useful.  I have attached a txt of the data.

 

 

USB Bus Probe (Microstreamer).txt 10k .txt file

 

 

 

The Galaxy S3 can work with the ODAC with or without using USB Audio Recorder PRO.

The Galaxy S3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO can forward a 24/96 stream to the ODAC.

 

Audio Streaming Format Type Descriptor of ODAC:

bLength:              0x1A

bDescriptorType:      0x24

bDescriptorSubtype:   0x02

bFormatType:          0x01

bNrChannels:          0x02

bSubframeSize:        0x02

bBitResolution:       0x10

bSamFreqType:         0x06

tSamFreq[1]:      0x001F40 (8000 Hz)

tSamFreq[2]:      0x003E80 (16000 Hz)

tSamFreq[3]:      0x007D00 (32000 Hz)

tSamFreq[4]:      0x00AC44 (44100 Hz)

tSamFreq[5]:      0x00BB80 (48000 Hz)

tSamFreq[6]:      0x017700 (96000 Hz)

 

 

Audio Stream Format Type Descriptor of HRT microStreamer:

Format Type:   1 PCM

Number Of Channels:   2 STEREO

Sub Frame Size:   2

Bit Resolution:   16

Sample Frequency Type:   0x05 (Discrete)

Sample Frequency:   96000 Hz

Sample Frequency:   88200 Hz

Sample Frequency:   48000 Hz

Sample Frequency:   44100 Hz

Sample Frequency:   32000 Hz

 

Usually the first sampling frequency is the lower frequency.

post #2069 of 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmaple View Post

Are there any short usb micro b to micro b OTG cables? All I see are micro to mini. I need one to connect the s3 to the uha-6s. 

 

It works with the cable I have now but it's super long haha

 

Short Micro-A plug (to be inserted into a USB OTG capable Android device which is switched to USB host mode) to Micro-B plug (to be inserted into a USB DAC operating as USB peripheral) cables:

 

http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/micro-to-micro-otg

 

 

 

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Connect_your_Galaxy_S3_to_the_Glacier_p/the0000104.htm

 

post #2070 of 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

 

Short Micro-A plug (to be inserted into a USB OTG capable Android device which is switched to USB host mode) to Micro-B plug (to be inserted into a USB DAC operating as USB peripheral) cables:

 

http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/micro-to-micro-otg

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Connect_your_Galaxy_S3_to_the_Glacier_p/the0000104.htm

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Sorry for editing the text in your post...but exactly what is required to switch to USB Host mode?  Is that the "USB debugging" in Developer options?

 

Sorry for the n00b questions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs