starred and posted in a local audio enthusiast forum. please help to spread this as much as you can
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- USB DAC recommendation???? Last post on 6/13/12 at 8:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- Can two DACs interfere with each other? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:59pm in Computer Audio
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 5/16/15 at 5:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC of Sony Xperia S Last post on 8/27/13 at 12:57am in Portable Source Gear
- Samsung galaxy nexus Last post on 11/17/12 at 10:30pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
At the time this review was written, the 1More MK802 bluetooth headphone was listed for sale on 1More’s and Amazon’s website. Here are links for more information and...
I first had the chance to audition these at the Wikia meet in San Francisco, taking them around and trying them in different rigs. For $4000, they had a lot to live up to. While on the...
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
Android phones and USB DACs - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 89292/27/12 at 10:58pmpost #18 of 89292/29/12 at 4:04ampost #19 of 89292/29/12 at 10:10pm
I've been posting about this potential feature since the pre-Froyo days, but especially since ICS made the lack of it seem an oversight. At one point, Fiio was considering making USB DAC compatibility with Android part of the E-17's feature set, but I seemed to be the only person on that thread who stressed its importance.
Nice of danielb to find such an effective way to popularize this request and mobilize those who want to be able to use a USB DAC. Starred, promoted and publicized on other sites.
The ability to use an external DAC would definitely help Android sales on this site alone. I personally am not about to buy a post-Wolfson Galaxy device until I can bypass Samsung's unholy partnership with Yamaha.
And I agree that USB is the beginning of DAC implementation. As much as I'd like to see a bluetooth DAC solution as well, a lot of people own USB DACs already, battery life can be an issue with bluetooth, and the initial cost of bluetooth DACs would be relatively high.
And think of the ultimate price difference between an iPhone and an Android device if proprietary DACs were unnecessary on the latter. Audiophiles would flock to Android and hard and software options for audiophiles would increase.
Edited by scrypt - 2/29/12 at 10:18pmpost #20 of 89293/3/12 at 7:06pmpost #21 of 89293/5/12 at 4:55pm
An average of 17 daily votes only, and the frequency is decreasing
It is going to take ages to reach the required votes!
And all Google has to do is to add a couple of simple lines of code... But there are other 18,305 issues calling their attention.
There are currently 246,822 registered users on head-fi.org. Perhaps head-fi could make an announcement to call for support to vote the Android DAC Audio feature on Google
The DAC manufacturers should also be interested in this issue. There are millions of Android devices out there, with the potential to be connected to an external DAC!!
Edited by Pingfloid - 3/5/12 at 5:24pmpost #22 of 89293/12/12 at 11:56pmpost #23 of 89293/13/12 at 6:12am
A little FYI, Franco is a brilliant dev in the android community. Currently using his kernel on my phone which gives options to oc/uc, change gamma, & enhance audio on my Galaxy Nexus. Looks like he's giving it a shot =Dpost #24 of 89293/18/12 at 1:08ampost #25 of 89293/20/12 at 8:43am
Eagerly awaiting this, even if my lil Samsung Galaxy Mini S550 never gets it I'll gladly upgrade to a phone that does support it.
Carrying this blasted Linux like device with an SD slot and playing software around as my phone anyway, adding on my new iBasso D-Zero DAC/AMP could turn it into a wonder tool.
Given it has such a brilliant DAC and a pretty decent AMP its a wet dream to be able to get USB digital audio out to it.post #26 of 89293/25/12 at 11:02ampost #27 of 89293/27/12 at 1:24pm
I understand that CM7 has this USB implementation. We already know it works with the Nook Color. Has anyone tried it with one of the phones supported by CM7? I would, but my phone is too new to get CM7, and CM9 isn't even in Beta yet.post #28 of 89294/4/12 at 4:24pmThread Starter
First of all thanks for your support on the issue and raising it at other forums. So far it's gained 1000 votes and is about to become the 15th highest issue (for new issues in the last year it's second on the ladder). I'm not sure how they allocate which issues go forward for review, as some with fewer votes have been looked into, but it seems like it has enough of a voice to at least draw attention (of course the more votes the better, so keep promoting the issue!).
In relation to other Android news where USB DAC's are concerned:
- As mentioned the Archos G9 series have had support for USB DACs added officially from Archos. I have one shipping to me right now and also an E17 at home, so will report back on how it goes.
- Several unofficial kernel developers are working on supporting USB DACs, so Rooted users on several devices may have access to this over coming months.
- In relation to CM7 support - it's not supported as far as I'm aware in CM7. The Nook workaround involves flashing a custom non-CM kernel to a CM7 build, the kernel itself doesn't signify CM support across their range of supported devices (although I believe they are looking at it for CM9)
Apt-X supports stereo bitrates up to ~370kbps, so not particularly suited to FLAC listening at this stage, so while a very worthwhile thing I still think support for wired DACs is needed (not to mention wired options are more available and tend to be cheaper). On the topic of Apt-X I have an HTC One X coming to me shortly, and also an Samsung HS3000 Apt-X capable bluetooth receiver. Will be very interested to see how it is vs wired connection, particularly for FLAC-encoded stuff.post #29 of 89294/4/12 at 8:33pm
Thank you for the information NZtechfreak,
Please, keep us informed about the Archos G9. If it can drive a USB DAC, the next question is: can it handle audio with higher resolution than 44kHz / 128Kbps? There is a Android 4.0 project called ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) source code which could allow 24 bits / 192 kHz. But this is only a project, not a reality. I don't want to be a Guinea Pig, so I am seriously considering a Windows tablet, like the Gigabyte S1080
FYI: I opened this thread about the G9 at the Archos Fan forum: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=64388&p=396644post #30 of 89294/5/12 at 1:22amThread Starter
Hi Pingfloid! I've seen the thread over there, may even have posted in it actually, will keep it updated here and there in relation to how the E17 is (will also try my HiFiMan Express via an externally powered hub to see if that is a go).
- Android phones and USB DACs
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ just now
- › Denon AH-MM400 1 second ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 5 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 23 seconds ago
- › Koss ESP 950 Electrostatic Headphones Like New 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › 2017 Southeastern Michigan Head-fi.org Spring Meet: Paulson's... 4 minutes ago
- › Ranking the Stars - flinkenick's 2017 IEM Flagship Shootout 4 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear