Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review - Page 6

post #76 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post


No, not for us listeners.  But he's a freaking producer!  I hope he isn't mastering too many songs while his Q701s are backwards. 

 


Damn....if I want to hear Thriller as it was intended I suppose I have to turn my headphones around. biggrin.gif

 

post #77 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

 

 

Ya, I guess the bubbles are common place now.  The K702's didn't have them though...

 

I was going to ask:  Do other people have bubbles on their diaphragms?

 

I asked in the K701 thread a few months ago and some other people confirmed it.  I was going to ask in the Q701 thread, but I know some members there are probably reading this thread too...

I read somewhere that AKG switched to a new diaphragm that was softer.  

 

I'm pretty sure it's purely cosmetic.




No bubbles here. I just looked at my K601 and it looks exactly like the picture you posted. I can't even tell apart the drivers at all, yet they sound completely different.

 

For fun right now I put my Q701's foam and pads on the K601. Sounds almost TOO WARM and not very clear. Both the foam pieces behind the pads are the same on the Q701 and K601.

 

I definitely didn't turn it into a Q701 biggrin.gif

 

Years back there was even a discussion on how the K601 might share the same drivers as the K701!

post #78 of 388

Probably the case, but I think it's pretty unacceptable.  Obviously, something is not right in their molding process.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

I'm pretty sure it's purely cosmetic.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchbat View Post

My K702 have them, it's purely cosmetic.



 

post #79 of 388

Here's another ultra tiny difference. Probably not audible. Foam over a driver IS audible, but probably not something like this.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564427/k701-vs-k702-vs-q701-which-one-considering-recabling-among-other-things/15#post_7755190

 

Everyone at AKG is probably laughing at such stupid posts like mine! I just want to figure this mystery out.

 

 

K701 and K601 have the same part # for the foam in front of the driver. The Q701 and K702 share the same foam part #.

 

EDIT:

One strange thing I noticed is that my Q701 had two types of foam under the pads. One that was coarse and sparkly (as found on the Q701..I think) and another that was soft and should be on the K701.

I never removed the foam before, so that was kind of weird. Foam is foam..I guess.

 

I'm not going to compare the sound quality between foam pieces..I'm not that bad..yet .

Actually, I have, but you won't see any reviews for foam pieces from me! normal_smile%20.gif

 

The softer foam had the best bass and soundstage. Ok, only kidding...

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by tdockweiler - 2/11/12 at 8:40pm
post #80 of 388
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post


I'm not going to compare the sound quality between foam pieces..I'm not that bad..yet .

Actually, I have, but you won't see any reviews for foam pieces from me! normal_smile%20.gif

 

The softer foam had the best bass and soundstage. Ok, only kidding...


 To me the black earpads on Q701 and K702 sound more musical and energetic than the grey K701 pads.  The K701 pads sound dull and boring/life-less.  Also my right "Q" badge has better sub bass then my left one confused.gif

 

*sarcasm ^*


Edited by chicolom - 2/11/12 at 11:14pm
post #81 of 388
Pad rolling can make a significant difference to the sound. Its what Astro did to their newer A40s. The newer pads added bass and warmth. Lots of people still prefer the older pads as they were more analytical.

I didn't realize the K701s pads were a different material. Perhaps that's what's causing the difference for me?
post #82 of 388

how distant does q701 sound compared to the k701?

post #83 of 388
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Pad rolling can make a significant difference to the sound. Its what Astro did to their newer A40s. The newer pads added bass and warmth. Lots of people still prefer the older pads as they were more analytical.
I didn't realize the K701s pads were a different material. Perhaps that's what's causing the difference for me?


I guess my sarcasm didn't come across on the internetz.

post #84 of 388
Soundstage? How far sound reaches? I'd say they are comparable. The K701 might sound larger, but that's because it has less bass. Soundstages tend to sound bigger with less bass. However, I wouldn't say the Q701 has a smaller soundstage if you pay attention.

I still believe the AD700 destroys in soundstage vs either AKG. Speaking with Dolby Headphone, obviously.
post #85 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post


I guess my sarcasm didn't come across on the internetz.


I was actually speaking from my own experience. I thought the K701 may have had stiffer pads than the Qs. Though that's just off memory. My memory on pads isn't the same as my memory on sound. Except certain unforgettable pads, like the boiling heat I got from wearing the XB700 for a bit too long. Or the ridiculous AD700 pads that I couldn't figure out how to orientate perfectly after I took them off... rolleyes.gif
post #86 of 388
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Soundstage? How far sound reaches? I'd say they are comparable. The K701 might sound larger, but that's because it has less bass. Soundstages tend to sound bigger with less bass. However, I wouldn't say the Q701 has a smaller soundstage if you pay attention.
I still believe the AD700 destroys in soundstage vs either AKG. Speaking with Dolby Headphone, obviously.


This ^ 

K70x sounds more distant because there's less weight to the sound.  Q701 sounds more grounded.  Technically the soundstage size is about the same though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


I was actually speaking from my own experience. I thought the K701 may have had stiffer pads than the Qs. Though that's just off memory. My memory on pads isn't the same as my memory on sound. Except certain unforgettable pads, like the boiling heat I got from wearing the XB700 for a bit too long. Or the ridiculous AD700 pads that I couldn't figure out how to orientate perfectly after I took them off... rolleyes.gif


 

Oh.  I thought the K702 had fatter more asymmetrical angled pads then K701. 

 

Haha, I remember getting those AD700 pad's alignment screwed up and trying to find out where the heck the oval shape is supposed to be.

I have to say, I love the pads on these AKGs.  Huge cups with non-itchy velour k701smile.gif  No weird Jaw pressure like on the AD700s.  Those would make my jaw tired after a few hours. 

I especially love how easy it is take the pads on and off.  Just a slight twist and they're off, and they're marked with a line so you always know how to put the back on.

I tore my AD700s pads up taking them on and off too many times.


Edited by chicolom - 2/11/12 at 11:32pm
post #87 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchbat View Post

My K702 have them, it's purely cosmetic.



Now someone do a review on bubbles vs. no bubbles... 

 

Probably get more placebo effect than any real result. eek.gif

post #88 of 388
The Qs is so damn comfy now. It really didn't take long for the bumps to become a non-issue, and the pads have the perfect amount of stiffness/softness. They really are awesome on the ears.

My only issue is really with it needed a bit more extension on the arms to give it some 'headroom' (literally and figuratively). Right now, its large enough for my noggin, but it does feel like its trying to detract itself.

That and the cups being sobig, kinda hard to lay down with them, but that's just a gripe, really.
post #89 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamagic View Post



Now someone do a review on bubbles vs. no bubbles... 

 

Probably get more placebo effect than any real result. eek.gif



How about a review on large bubbles vs. small bubbles! LOLtongue_smile.gif

 

BTW, has anyone noticed that the green Q701s have a more organic sound to them? LOLk701smile.gif

 

post #90 of 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post



How about a review on large bubbles vs. small bubbles! LOLtongue_smile.gif

 

BTW, has anyone noticed that the green Q701s have a more organic sound to them? LOLk701smile.gif

 



Organic?  The made them naturally without any pesticides?wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review