Soo, I've been poking around this site for a while now, and I can tell that beats are obviously nobodies favorite.. Anyways, I have the notorious question, headphones with sound like beats. I'm not even talk studios, somebody I know got a pair of solos, and I must say they sound great compared to anything I have heard. Obviously, you guys think differently, so fill me in. I'm really looking for a pair of over the ear headphones, not on ear. Try to keep it around ~$100, but if anything is DEFINITELY worth more than that, let me know. Thanks!
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by System, 2/10/12
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- HeadPhones Help...What to choose Last post on 6/28/12 at 2:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fullsize headphone under 200$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 3:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Perfect Headphones (Opinions Needed) Last post on 12/23/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Headphones with sound like beats.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 372/8/12 at 7:20pm
I'm going to word this as diplomatically as I can.
If you think the Beats Solo sound "great compared to anything [you] have heard", you haven't heard much. The Beats get no love around here for some very good reasons, not the least of which is their sound quality. Recommendations from this forum generally consist of well priced headphones of much greater quality than Beats, but that doesn't mean you will like them. If Beats sound good to you, I suggest you find some way to audition some headphones brands that aren't sold at Best Buy, especially some that come recommended on these forums before you accept any input on how to spend your money. Quality is very different from quantity, the former being the focus of Head-Fi and the latter being the focus of Beats.
But frankly Head-Fi'rs know quantity better anyways.
All that said, what exactly do you like about the Solo's sound that could direct someone towards a recommendation?post #3 of 372/8/12 at 7:30pmpost #4 of 372/8/12 at 7:42pmpost #5 of 372/8/12 at 8:01pmpost #6 of 372/8/12 at 8:05pm
I agree with the question asking what about the Beats headphones you like. I've only tried the Pros out (very briefly), and they sounded fairly compressed and somewhat harsh, but overall weren't "bad" - I have a $400 headphone in mind that does everything the Pros set out to do though. I didn't find them to be "insanely bass boosted" (and most reviews agree with this, more or less).
Within a $100 budget, ignoring the Beats headphones were ever in the conversation, I would look at the M-Audio Q40, Sennheiser HD 280, and perhaps Ultrasone HFI-2400 (okay, so it's over the budget by twice, and it's open-backed; sue me).post #7 of 372/8/12 at 8:53pm
750DJ's can be found for around $100 on sale, they're quite bassy, also ultrasone is another brand to look at if you want bass, no experience with them though. My friend bought the 750's I liked them.post #8 of 372/8/12 at 9:02pm
Sound like Beats, over ear, around $100? V-Moda Crossfade LP; I'm amazed no one has said that yet. A better recommendation would be Koss Pro DJ100s, but I'm assuming that if you like Beats you like their looks, and based on the likelihood that looks is a preference of yours the Crossfade LPs are a top choice. I would normally recommend a bass-freak some XB500s, DJ100s, or HFI-580s, but someone who likes Beats would like Crossfade LPs more than any of those.post #9 of 372/9/12 at 5:32am
Aboves headphones.. and:
Fanny Wang 2001 series
They are better than the Beats Studios.
Better built quality.
Here a review.
Else what others suggested to you:
Audio Technica m50spost #10 of 372/9/12 at 7:12ampost #11 of 372/9/12 at 9:14am
The Beats Solos are known for being by far the *worst* in the Beats line, a line that is already pretty bad. But if you want a similar signature, you'll be looking at something by Ultrasone or Denon. Ultrasone HFI-580 and above, Denon D1100 and above, and V-Moda Crossfades (M80 and LP2).
In fact, I've heard from a friend of mine (who has listened to both) that the Monoprice 8323's and the Beats Solo HD's sound very very similar.
And the Monoprice headphone are...I kid you not...$21.post #12 of 372/9/12 at 10:16am
My quick take of the various Beats from a few assorted listening sessions is that the Pros are the overall best quality, though still not great. The Solos are the overall worst sounding, very muffled. Then the Studios are in-between, but have the hardest-hitting bass.post #13 of 372/9/12 at 1:46pm
The Koss pro DJ100 despite its name is not very bassy. It has been compared to the neutral Sony V6, except that the DJ100 has less treble. The Sony XB500 is a bass monster, however there is a shortage of them and the price is high.post #14 of 372/9/12 at 7:45pm
now there's a name that made me laugh. Fanny Wang :') Wow.
On topic: if it's bass you like (and I'm guessing you do, since the beats sound good to you), you might want to check out the Beyerdynamic DT 770.
Over-ear, heavenly soft cups, good amount of bass and an awesome sound-stage for closed headphones IMHO.
The 80ohm version is easy to drive and famous for it's bass, which does not get in the way of all the magnificent detail these headphones produce.
- Headphones with sound like beats.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Q701 impressions thread 8 seconds ago
- › Treble Heavy & Fast IEMs 50 seconds ago
- › please, help me pick a pair of headphones! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › 7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shockdoc
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)