Soo, I've been poking around this site for a while now, and I can tell that beats are obviously nobodies favorite.. Anyways, I have the notorious question, headphones with sound like beats. I'm not even talk studios, somebody I know got a pair of solos, and I must say they sound great compared to anything I have heard. Obviously, you guys think differently, so fill me in. I'm really looking for a pair of over the ear headphones, not on ear. Try to keep it around ~$100, but if anything is DEFINITELY worth more than that, let me know. Thanks!
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/10/12
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by System, 2/10/12
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/10/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- HeadPhones Help...What to choose Last post on 6/28/12 at 2:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fullsize headphone under 200$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 3:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Perfect Headphones (Opinions Needed) Last post on 12/23/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Just on sound quality, meh. It's very quiet, and detailed, but on my main headphones, AKG K712, the mid-treble balance is just too bright. The bass is nice and deep and honest, and midrange is OK,...
Review under construction.
It might be one of your favorite cans if you pay an intense listen to them for a few hours. Really its a steal while you might get it for 60ish or 80ish. I got mine for 75 ish. I still wonder why...
The MEE Audio RX18P was sent to me from MEE Audio with the intention to compare it to some of the most popular Chinese budget offerings and let Mike know the result of my findings. The ida was not...
In the audio world, nobody can say we don’t have a tonne of choice available to us. Some audition gear with slight differences to find the piece that truly stands out to them. This...
Headphones with sound like beats.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 372/8/12 at 7:20pm
I'm going to word this as diplomatically as I can.
If you think the Beats Solo sound "great compared to anything [you] have heard", you haven't heard much. The Beats get no love around here for some very good reasons, not the least of which is their sound quality. Recommendations from this forum generally consist of well priced headphones of much greater quality than Beats, but that doesn't mean you will like them. If Beats sound good to you, I suggest you find some way to audition some headphones brands that aren't sold at Best Buy, especially some that come recommended on these forums before you accept any input on how to spend your money. Quality is very different from quantity, the former being the focus of Head-Fi and the latter being the focus of Beats.
But frankly Head-Fi'rs know quantity better anyways.
All that said, what exactly do you like about the Solo's sound that could direct someone towards a recommendation?post #3 of 372/8/12 at 7:30pmpost #4 of 372/8/12 at 7:42pmpost #5 of 372/8/12 at 8:01pmpost #6 of 372/8/12 at 8:05pm
I agree with the question asking what about the Beats headphones you like. I've only tried the Pros out (very briefly), and they sounded fairly compressed and somewhat harsh, but overall weren't "bad" - I have a $400 headphone in mind that does everything the Pros set out to do though. I didn't find them to be "insanely bass boosted" (and most reviews agree with this, more or less).
Within a $100 budget, ignoring the Beats headphones were ever in the conversation, I would look at the M-Audio Q40, Sennheiser HD 280, and perhaps Ultrasone HFI-2400 (okay, so it's over the budget by twice, and it's open-backed; sue me).post #7 of 372/8/12 at 8:53pmpost #8 of 372/8/12 at 9:02pm
Sound like Beats, over ear, around $100? V-Moda Crossfade LP; I'm amazed no one has said that yet. A better recommendation would be Koss Pro DJ100s, but I'm assuming that if you like Beats you like their looks, and based on the likelihood that looks is a preference of yours the Crossfade LPs are a top choice. I would normally recommend a bass-freak some XB500s, DJ100s, or HFI-580s, but someone who likes Beats would like Crossfade LPs more than any of those.post #9 of 372/9/12 at 5:32am
Aboves headphones.. and:
Fanny Wang 2001 series
They are better than the Beats Studios.
Better built quality.
Here a review.
Else what others suggested to you:
Audio Technica m50spost #10 of 372/9/12 at 7:12ampost #11 of 372/9/12 at 9:14am
The Beats Solos are known for being by far the *worst* in the Beats line, a line that is already pretty bad. But if you want a similar signature, you'll be looking at something by Ultrasone or Denon. Ultrasone HFI-580 and above, Denon D1100 and above, and V-Moda Crossfades (M80 and LP2).
In fact, I've heard from a friend of mine (who has listened to both) that the Monoprice 8323's and the Beats Solo HD's sound very very similar.
And the Monoprice headphone are...I kid you not...$21.post #12 of 372/9/12 at 10:16am
My quick take of the various Beats from a few assorted listening sessions is that the Pros are the overall best quality, though still not great. The Solos are the overall worst sounding, very muffled. Then the Studios are in-between, but have the hardest-hitting bass.post #13 of 372/9/12 at 1:46pm
The Koss pro DJ100 despite its name is not very bassy. It has been compared to the neutral Sony V6, except that the DJ100 has less treble. The Sony XB500 is a bass monster, however there is a shortage of them and the price is high.post #14 of 372/9/12 at 7:45pm
now there's a name that made me laugh. Fanny Wang :') Wow.
On topic: if it's bass you like (and I'm guessing you do, since the beats sound good to you), you might want to check out the Beyerdynamic DT 770.
Over-ear, heavenly soft cups, good amount of bass and an awesome sound-stage for closed headphones IMHO.
The 80ohm version is easy to drive and famous for it's bass, which does not get in the way of all the magnificent detail these headphones produce.
- Headphones with sound like beats.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions... 4 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x,... 6 minutes ago
- › Best sub-30$ CHINESE brands EARPHONES thread- Hidden Gems, Personal... 8 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 11 minutes ago
- › Shanling M3 12 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Rock It Sounds R-50M - Well Done! 14 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 14 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by eriksq
- › MusicMaker TK13 by Paulpark222
- › Philips SHP9500 by Mosauwer
- › MEE Audio RX18 Comfort-Fit In-Ear Headphones with Enhanced Bass... by peter123
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Aornic
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Dobrescu George
- › Yamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphones by Nymphonomaniac
- › PMV A-01 HYBIRD IEM by peter123
- › Cayin N5 DSD Lossless Music Player by H20Fidelity
- › Campfire Audio Orion by piksnz
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse