Well im looking into buying an Asgard and was wanting to know what is the best bang for my buck for a dac for this amp?
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/20/12
- productHRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Convertertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productPURE i-20 Digital Dock for iPod/iPhone with Hi-Fi Quality Audio and Video Outputtagged by System, 6/20/12
- productSchiit Asgard 2tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Asgard + Which DAC? Need advice on decent pairing Last post on 8/22/12 at 3:28pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Owners Unite Last post on Yesterday at 2:59 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Whats a good amp/ usb DAC for DT990 pro 60ohms? Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:35pm in Computer Audio
- Opinions needed before I go listen to/buy Schiit Asgard & Bifrost, Im using Ultrasone Ed 8... Last post on 11/10/12 at 2:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- new in the game, colplete set-up. Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
DAC for Schiit Asgardpost #1 of 252/7/12 at 12:27amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 252/7/12 at 12:37am
Congrats, I definetely say get the bifrost if that's something in your range, if you want more portability, then the nuforce HDP, if you want something slightly cheaper, get the HRT MS2+
the bifrost is really good in soundstage and pairing with my lyr +k701, while some tracks still being analytical a little bit, when not doing AB testing, I enjoy my setuppost #3 of 252/7/12 at 1:13amThread Starter
Well the bitfrost is way out of my price range. I was thinking 175 for a dac tops. I will be using the HD598's with this combo. They already have a nice open soundstage but they are just lacking drive. I love the way they sound by themselves with just my Motherboard's DAC and would like to keep that same sound just punch up the drive a little. :Dpost #4 of 252/7/12 at 3:26am
If you like the quality of your sound already, just get the Asgaard.
You will love it. Especially with the HD598 it is magical. Enjoy.
Get a DAC only after not being happy with what you got ;-)post #5 of 252/7/12 at 1:57pmThread Starterpost #6 of 252/7/12 at 2:19pmpost #7 of 252/7/12 at 6:11pmThread Starterpost #8 of 252/7/12 at 10:41pmpost #9 of 252/8/12 at 12:35ampost #10 of 252/8/12 at 12:48amQuote:
Well, since you like the sound of your computer's DAC, just go that route for now. You could get this kind of cable to connect the computer headphone jack to the Asgard:
Edited by mikenike - 2/8/12 at 12:52ampost #11 of 252/8/12 at 12:56am
Actually, scratch that link and sorry for the double post, but I can't seem to change the link in the previous post. Look up '3.5mm to RCA monoprice' at Amazon. The first listing seems to have sturdier connectors on the RCA end than the one in the link I posted above.post #12 of 252/9/12 at 8:04pm
Another recommendation for the HRT Music Streamer II. You will not need RCA cables with the HRT Music Streamer II. With two male-to-male RCA couplers you can plug it directly to the Asgard.
Edited by BrunoS72 - 2/9/12 at 8:07pmpost #13 of 252/10/12 at 7:58pmpost #14 of 255/10/12 at 3:22ampost #15 of 256/14/12 at 6:42pm
I have the asgard and had an hd598. Not needed. It did not open up the headphone at all. It sounded the same through my gaming Astro mixamp. The only benefit i have found from an amp for the hd598 is that it gets louder. Nothing more.
As for a Dac and the hd598 i always recommend a dac but do NOT bother getting anything more than a udac with the headphone. The hd598 does not have good detail retrieval at all and the bifrost would be way over kill. One of the reasons i loved my 598 so much. Sometimes my other equipment is so analytical that it is more neat to listen to than musical. The 598's are musical because of the detail
- DAC for Schiit Asgard
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Unique Melody double/triple hybrid universals announced: UM 2X & 3X... 2 seconds ago
- › TUNG SOL 5998 / CHATHAM 2399 TUBE New 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the most portable and affordable high resolution DAP from... 1 minute ago
- › Nexus 5 Sound Quality? 2 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › MY NEW AKG K612 Pro audiophile headphone APPRECIATION 8 minutes ago
- › To be called "musically tight" 8 minutes ago
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe