Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50S LE impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50S LE impressions - Page 6

post #76 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCupboard View Post

Dear everyone. I am interested in this ATH-M50SLE. I read about it on Thomann.de, and they said they were delivered with two cables, one 1,2 meters long and the other 3 meters. Does this mean the cable is detachable?



Mine only has 3.5m cable, and not detachable.

post #77 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCupboard View Post

Dear everyone. I am interested in this ATH-M50SLE. I read about it on Thomann.de, and they said they were delivered with two cables, one 1,2 meters long and the other 3 meters. Does this mean the cable is detachable?


There's no detachable cables for the ATH-M50s/LE unless they were modified. It only comes with a straight cable. It must be the PRO700MK2s, it's the only AT product that comes with 2 detachable cables, a straight 1.2m cable and a coiled 3m cable.

 

post #78 of 175

As my first "real" headphone set I am very pleased. These provide a high level of detail and I am enjoying hearing sounds I never noticed before. My setup consists of a Microsoft Zune, Headroom amp/dac, and Sony equalizer. All of this cost me about $220. Even straight from the Zune they sound awesome. I added a tad more bass and mid. I have about 100hrs on them so far.

post #79 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincapalad View Post

 

 

Yes, it will chip. The hinge inner plastic is dark grey while the the ear cups is lighter grey. It is the same paint used on silver laptops, and in time they fade. Open the ear cups, you'll see. When the chipping starts you can use the Sharpie Pearl paint marker oil-based pen to cover it up.

 

This is very common to electronics, so I'm moving away from anything that is silver unless it is anodized like the Macbooks. They may look good now, but in couple of years when the silver has faded, the original black plastic will look better.

 

From AT:

AT.jpg

 



I asked Audio-Technica about this directly:

 

Thank you for your inquiry.

 

The black ATH-M50(s) are black all the way through; they are not painted.

 

The ATH-M50s/LE are indeed painted. However, they are done so with a heavy duty paint and will not flake. It would also take an extremely great deal of effort for the paint to wear off. The LE’s are also very scratch resistant. Like with a vast majority of product, they are not indestructible. I was able to score the M50s/LE’s with my keys but I had to put some effort into it. However, I would be hard pressed to find any headphones that wouldn’t scratch in the same manner and produce the same (if not similar) result. Also, the scoring did not expose the plastic mold of the headphones. As a matter of fact, I found the LE’s to have better scratch resistance than the black versions.

 

The ATH-M50 Headphones (all versions) are definitely not cheap product; they are made with the utmost quality that is consistent with Audio-Technica professional product. The ATH-M50 headphones are highly regarded as some of the best on the market. I have yet to find a customer who was not satisfied with the M50’s, including myself. Should you decided to purchase, I hope you would find the same results.

 

 

Thank you for contacting Audio-Technica.

 

DAN PELLETIER
Audio Solutions Specialist
P 330.686.2600

ext. 2680 (personal)

ext. 5000 (Audio Solutions)
F 330.686.6298
Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
1221 Commerce Drive, Stow, Ohio 44224

 
post #80 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCupboard View Post

Dear everyone. I am interested in this ATH-M50SLE. I read about it on Thomann.de, and they said they were delivered with two cables, one 1,2 meters long and the other 3 meters. Does this mean the cable is detachable?



I only received one cable, go figure.

As for the sonic signature, they do indeed sound different from my old black pair.

No audio "specialist" working for audio-technica is going to convince me otherwise. I trust my ears more.

post #81 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senzin View Post



I asked Audio-Technica about this directly:

 

Thank you for your inquiry.

 

The black ATH-M50(s) are black all the way through; they are not painted.

 

The ATH-M50s/LE are indeed painted. However, they are done so with a heavy duty paint and will not flake. It would also take an extremely great deal of effort for the paint to wear off. The LE’s are also very scratch resistant. Like with a vast majority of product, they are not indestructible. I was able to score the M50s/LE’s with my keys but I had to put some effort into it. However, I would be hard pressed to find any headphones that wouldn’t scratch in the same manner and produce the same (if not similar) result. Also, the scoring did not expose the plastic mold of the headphones. As a matter of fact, I found the LE’s to have better scratch resistance than the black versions.

 

The ATH-M50 Headphones (all versions) are definitely not cheap product; they are made with the utmost quality that is consistent with Audio-Technica professional product. The ATH-M50 headphones are highly regarded as some of the best on the market. I have yet to find a customer who was not satisfied with the M50’s, including myself. Should you decided to purchase, I hope you would find the same results.

 

 

Thank you for contacting Audio-Technica.

 

DAN PELLETIER
Audio Solutions Specialist
P 330.686.2600

ext. 2680 (personal)

ext. 5000 (Audio Solutions)
F 330.686.6298
Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
1221 Commerce Drive, Stow, Ohio 44224

 


Funny, because I'm pretty sure someone up there was spouting false information about the paint chipping off.

Well I guess that's laid to rest.

 

post #82 of 175

Funny because someone up there is also claiming the sound between the M50s/LE and M50s (regular) are different; claiming the LEs are better and the scientific reason behind it was the "magical" paint that improves sound quality (amazing rational thinking). The next thing, I want to hear is that the WS55 black and red sounds differently, because of the paint. The Ferrari car in red is faster than the black because it's in red. Okay, I got your point. 

 

The specialist did mention It would also take an extremely great deal of effort for the paint to wear off. Meaning, he will not rule out the probability that it won't wear off in some instances like "time" and "accidental" causes. A human's acid is strong enough that it can melt metal, why can't it affect paint. Like with a vast majority of product, they are not indestructible. Read and understand the sentence carefully. You want to test if the paint won't chip try and drop it in a rough surface, let's see how brave can you be. Accidentally mine got hit and that right there is a genuine picture of a paint chip on the M50s/LE ANV, hotshot :)

AT.jpgDSC_0002.jpg

Evidence is your friend, if you are in the court of law, you've lost already with such reasoning that you "trust your ear better". Nobody believed the boy who cried wolf. Want to prove a point, then answer the question, what is the polarizing material that isn't found in the original build that changes the sound?


Edited by alvincapalad - 3/27/12 at 6:48pm
post #83 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincapalad View Post

Funny because someone up there is also claiming the sound between the M50s/LE and M50s (regular) are different; claiming the LEs are better and the scientific reason behind it was the "magical" paint that improves sound quality (amazing rational thinking). You want to test if the paint won't chip try and drop it in a rough surface, let's see how brave can you be. Accidentally mine got hit and that right there is a genuine picture of a paint chip on the M50s/LE ANV, hotshot smily_headphones1.gif

The next thing, I want to hear is that the WS55 black and red sounds differently, because of the paint. The Ferrari car in red is faster than the black because it's in red. Okay, I got your point. 
350x213px-LL-44f75e09_AT.jpeg350x176px-LL-c2606beb_DSC_0002.jpeg
Evidence is your friend, if you are in the court of law, you've lost already with such reasoning that you "trust your ear better". Nobody believed the boy who cried wolf.

Aye, set fire to the flames.

I've got enough heat today from the m50.

Calm yourself bro, I am firm about the difference. Many many others also hear a difference.
Whether this is because some small unintended variance in production or "'magic" paint [Which I never even mentioned] it still stands.
Go to the other thread, I can personally list people who own different m50 versions who hear that anomaly.
Until you've heard both, quoting an employee is not ground for proof.

Ps: This isn't law. It's an audio enthusiast forum.
post #84 of 175

Hello. I am new here and I have a question. I have searched the forum for it and did not find anything so here goes nothing. I recently bought the ATH-M50 headphones from amazon. I was not aware that the M50S and the M50S/LE existed before finding head-fi. I discovered after that the M50S are the same price and I can get the LE's for almost the same price. So my question is what are the MAIN differences between the three models. If there is a thread explaining this people kindly link it to me. Is the difference between the M50 and the M50S that big?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

P.S. I also noticed there is a coiled cable and a straight cable version. Does the SQ vary from one another or is it really a choice of preference?

 

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

post #85 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereminder View Post

Hello. I am new here and I have a question. I have searched the forum for it and did not find anything so here goes nothing. I recently bought the ATH-M50 headphones from amazon. I was not aware that the M50S and the M50S/LE existed before finding head-fi. I discovered after that the M50S are the same price and I can get the LE's for almost the same price. So my question is what are the MAIN differences between the three models. If there is a thread explaining this people kindly link it to me. Is the difference between the M50 and the M50S that big?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

P.S. I also noticed there is a coiled cable and a straight cable version. Does the SQ vary from one another or is it really a choice of preference?

 

Thanks in advance for the help guys.



m50 is coiled, m50s is straight cabled.

You can probably find some comparison here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478476/the-audio-technica-m50-studio-monitor-appreciation-thread

LE only comes in straight cable version.  Technical spec is same as the black m50s, but people's subjective experience may vary.

post #86 of 175

Thanks a lot jjmai
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmai View Post



m50 is coiled, m50s is straight cabled.

You can probably find some comparison here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478476/the-audio-technica-m50-studio-monitor-appreciation-thread

LE only comes in straight cable version.  Technical spec is same as the black m50s, but people's subjective experience may vary.



 

post #87 of 175

just my speculation, i think cleaner bass (maybe cleaner overall sound including highs) caused by different housing material that used in ATH M50 LE compared original ath m50. ATH M50 LE using aluminium plate for the logo which fortunately sit on top of cans transduser, reducing housing material resonance inside headphone chamber, making bass less loose, in process also increase sound isolation.

 

this also happen Like sennheiser done to original HD25 II vs HD25 amperior. HD25 amperior due to aluminium housing usage make it cleaner and better sounding (plus better isolation), in const increasing price, but probably still worthed.

 

post #88 of 175

Sorry for reviving an old thread, i am a newbie at audio phone, and i've just got my brand new ATH-M50 LE, i've been wondering, is this changing in sonic performance is in a bad way? I mean, they said M50 is for bass head, i just wondering if this LE has lesser bass than the original M50..since i don't understand with the what do you guys mean with, cleaner bass or mids or high, or whatever it is.

post #89 of 175
Thread Starter 

Hey. I don't think there is such a thing as "bad" when it comes to sonic performance. DIfferent people prefer different things.

 

If the sound signature of the M50 fits you, then that's all that should matter. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Only when you have heard better can you decide for yourself whether the M50 was "bad" or not.

post #90 of 175

hm.. i guess you are right, different people have different preference, sorry sorry, my mistake,

well i think i am pretty happy with my current M50 LE, i audited M50 at a local store around my house and i think.. it's a better pair of cans, my LE, so i guess, it is in a good way huh..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50S LE impressions