Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50S LE impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50S LE impressions - Page 5

post #61 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincapalad View Post


If you want to get accurate measurement of these headphones or any other product. Get the mean result of not less than 10 headphones of the same model. Do them how manufacturers test products, if you need a hundred to prove its consistency, then do it. Test them with the ACQUA system and HMS head and torso simulator or any system that can bring you more accurate results, not a hearsay of speculations and conjectures, that way you can cancel out the percentage error in manufacturing such as human assembly error, ear pad sizing, etc.
 
Just like burned-in and break-in. A sound can be burned-in to a person's memory; therefore, we start getting used to that sound and it becomes likeable over time. Same with eating exotic food, our tongue needs to adjust to the taste. And, the human brain is also capable of dictating something that we are pre-meditated with. If we are pre-meditated that this new product is better, then it becomes better because our brain dictates it.
 
Pre-meditation tricks our senses, that's why we need to be objective with the results and break it down with the smallest percentage error. Test products without seeing the graphs and the data first, that way you can cross-reference your initial assessment with the data, after. Do your initial reviews without reading other reviews, then see if they match.

This doesn't mean jack to the normal reader.
Instead, that is, instead of objective skeptic conjecture and technicalities [ Pleading the placebo as well], please go out and do it yourself.
I for one believe more in results; it would bode well for you to back up your own claims instead of striking down others who hear a "difference".
Just my two cents.
post #62 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post


This doesn't mean jack to the normal reader.
Instead, that is, instead of objective skeptic conjecture and technicalities [ Pleading the placebo as well], please go out and do it yourself.
I for one believe more in results; it would bode well for you to back up your own claims instead of striking down others who hear a "difference".
Just my two cents.


Please write to Audio-Technica and they will tell you the exact same thing. The two products are exact same mirror of each other, the main difference is the silver paint. Unless it is some magical paint from Harry Potter land. I would rather believe the Project head of AT, than mere speculations. I believe they are more knowledgeable of their own products, Thank you.

 

I am in no position to debate with you kid, if you want to, just call Audio-Technica Engineers and tell them they made an amazing discovery with their silver paint that supposedly makes their headphones sound better. They might start painting all their products silver from now on.


Edited by alvincapalad - 3/19/12 at 12:42am
post #63 of 176

I stopped by the AT booth at SxSW in Austin and talked with one of reps.  She told me that there was no sound improvements with the LE.

post #64 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincapalad View Post



Please write to Audio-Technica and they will tell you the exact same thing. The two products are exact same mirror of each other, the main difference is the silver paint. Unless it is some magical paint from Harry Potter land. I would rather believe the Project head of AT, than mere speculations. I believe they are more knowledgeable of their own products, Thank you.

I am in no position to debate with you kid, if you want to, just call Audio-Technica Engineers and tell them they made an amazing discovery with their silver paint that supposedly makes their headphones sound better. They might start painting all their products silver from now on.

Ok, it seems you obviously don't understand my position. I have not made any statements regarding my take. Neither is this a debate of any kind. The instant you opened your mouth, I knew you were the type of person that would take everything as offensive. Apparently my two cents means something mighty severe, thus you call me "kid". Despite probably being older than you.
We're not stupid on headfi, it's obvious paint doesn't make a difference in sound. But just because the retailer says so, doesn't mean there aren't certain other factors involved.
post #65 of 176

I want to get the LEs but the cable seems to be a problem

 

3 meter? wtf

 

Where is the coiled edition?

post #66 of 176

Thanks for the comparison.  I'm looking into the AT headphones lately :)

post #67 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRodz View Post

I want to get the LEs but the cable seems to be a problem

 

3 meter? wtf

 

Where is the coiled edition?



There is no coiled edition, they only come with the s version.

It's honestly not a problem, unless you're planning to take them outside.

post #68 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post



There is no coiled edition, they only come with the s version.

It's honestly not a problem, unless you're planning to take them outside.


Well yeah

I wanted to rock em on the winter yet it is getting hot lately.

I think braiding is the way to go.

 

Oh yeah. 

I ordered them :D

 


Edited by cRodz - 3/19/12 at 10:30pm
post #69 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRodz View Post


Well yeah

I wanted to rock em on the winter yet it is getting hot lately.

I think braiding is the way to go.

 

Oh yeah. 

I ordered them :D

 


Good for you haha, they just went up by 10 dollars. I believe sound professionals are running out of stock slightly. Since the 50 dollar rebate > went to 40 dollars.

 

post #70 of 176
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRodz View Post


Well yeah

I wanted to rock em on the winter yet it is getting hot lately.

I think braiding is the way to go.

 

Or you can just wrap them. Here's a bunch of photos for cord length and size comparison:

 

M50 vs ESW9 replica vs ES55
IMG_0041.jpg

 

M50 vs DT990 Pro vs ES55

IMG_0044.jpg

 

M50 vs DT990 Pro vs ESW9 replica

IMG_0045.jpg

 

And in terms of sound... after all this time:

 

1) Treble: DT990 > M50 > ES55 > ESW9 replica

2) Mid: ESW9 replica > DT990 >= M50 > ES55

3) Bass: ESW9 replica > DT990 > M50 > ES55

4) Soundstage: DT990 Pro > M50 > ESW9 replica > ES55

5) Separation: DT990 Pro > ESW9 replica > M50 > ES55

6) Comfort: DT990 Pro > ESW9 replica > ES55 > M50

7) Isolation: M50 > ES55 > ESW9 replica > DT990 Pro

 

That's to my taste. Not really an indication of actual measurements nor does it have any scientific proof.


Edited by Bill-P - 3/20/12 at 3:30pm
post #71 of 176

Just got my LEs today and it is also the first M50 I own.

 

Not exactly relative to this topic but my initial impressions of them are:

 

- Not as bassy as people make it out to be, DEFINITELY not basshead quantity

- Mids incredibly recessed

- Highs slightly harsh

- Doesn't feel like it's "built like a tank"

+ Pretty comfortable

+ Some amazing deep bass

 

SO FAR, I am not impressed, especially considering the hype around them. Will let them burn now for a day or so before reassessing them and comparing them vs the Beats (*gasp*!).

 

post #72 of 176

Well after reading hundreds of reviews and comments on these headphones and others at the similar price point, I finally pulled the trigger on these bad boys.

 

Limited edition silver version, and for the same price as the standard version. If I don't like them, I can at least sell them for what I bought them for.

 

Thank you head-fi! Now to find a good price for the Fiio E11 and my first dabble into the world of audiophilia will be complete.

 

:)

post #73 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincapalad View Post

Guys stop over-hyping the ATH-M50LE claiming performance improvements over the original M50s, basically it is just the same ATH-M50 painted with silver. Why would Audio-Technica change a formula that has been successful in the first place? It is a honeymoon period. Everybody feels like that when justifying purchases, once you get settled-in then do an objective review.

 

So if I paint my headphones silver, would it improve the sound? No, it's not some magical paint from Harry Potter land. I already contacted Audio-Technica Japan regarding their feedback on the materials used and they confirmed that they didn't tweak or used a different material, it is the same driver, same damping, same concept. Unless, you'd like to argue with Audio-Technica themselves.

 

The plastic isn't even anodized which means it will fade and you will see the original color when it gets chipped.

 

The change in sound is just the ear pads. Newer ear pads tend to be puffier which gives you an illusion of fuller sound dynamics. If you want a real sound comparison get a new M50LE and new M50 with the same airtime, and use the same pads. No difference.



Did Audio-Technica actually say that the silver is simply paint that will fade or chip? I thought the plastic itself would be died the silver color when in liquid form so that it would be silver all the way through.

 

Can anyone speak to this?


Edited by Senzin - 3/26/12 at 4:46am
post #74 of 176

 

 

Quote:

Did Audio-Technica actually say that the silver is simply paint that will fade or chip? I thought the plastic itself would be died the silver color when in liquid form so that it would be silver all the way through.

 

Can anyone speak to this?

 

Yes, it will chip. The hinge inner plastic is dark grey while the the ear cups is lighter grey. It is the same paint used on silver laptops, and in time they fade. Open the ear cups, you'll see. When the chipping starts you can use the Sharpie Pearl paint marker oil-based pen to cover it up.

 

This is very common to electronics, so I'm moving away from anything that is silver unless it is anodized like the Macbooks. They may look good now, but in couple of years when the silver has faded, the original black plastic will look better.

 

From AT:

AT.jpg

 


Edited by alvincapalad - 3/27/12 at 10:19am
post #75 of 176

Dear everyone. I am interested in this ATH-M50SLE. I read about it on Thomann.de, and they said they were delivered with two cables, one 1,2 meters long and the other 3 meters. Does this mean the cable is detachable?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50S LE impressions