Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Got my Westone 2 today! Better than my old W4. (UPDATE)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Got my Westone 2 today! Better than my old W4. (UPDATE)

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 

So first I'd like to say, I bought the RE262 about a week ago. And let's just say, my faith has been rekindled in IEMs. Now only one problem: I simply could NOT get an equal fit with any of the tips (my L and R ear canals never agree with each other). I even bought the MEelec 10 pack of different types of tips, that while fit the RE262 like a glove, none of those fit either. Quite bummed about my misfortune, I ended up getting some W2's, based on my love of Westone's fit from the "fake" W4 I had last year (more on that later). I was absolutely hoping they still fit as good as I thought, and obviously, sounded better than my last experience.

 

Put the grey tips on the W2, and they fit perfectly in both ears. HUGE RELIEF. The cable also stays put better than most others I've tried as well. But now, I had to hear real Westone sound...

 

Let's just say, this is one of the very few times I'm ever impressed with a headphone I buy. Without the slightest of doubt they are better than the W4 I had last year. But, I think many came to the conclusion my W4's were not authorized (bought from Amazon fulfilled 3rd party seller for $325), and thus probably a fake. At least, I sure darn hope they were, because the 2's sound much better! But I'm quite blown away to be honest by the balance of sound. I had worries about bass, but it's in a perfect proportion to the rest of the sound, and is actually better than I had thought. Much better. Midrange is definitely a bit more forward than the rest of the sound, but that's exactly how I like it (I did buy the RE262 after all). Very natural, and effortless sound, with great clarity. I think these will be a keeper! Just have to let my mind barrier down to enable me to keep a pair as expensive (inexpensive for some of you) as this.

 

Oh and I forgot to mention. Apparently Westone is now throwing in the Fiio E6 amp as a part of the package. Sweet! I was thinking of buying one anyway, so this is great!

 

Guess the biggest lesson learned is, one needs to make sure they are buying from a Westone authorized dealer. That means you'll pay the "set price" ($250, $350, $450 respectively for W2, W3, W4) and not get some "lucky" discount like I did with the W4, and pay less than what was intended. Heh, I thought I struck a deal when Amazon had the W4 for $325, but was I wrong. Then again, it was a 3rd party seller. Just be cautious...

 

- Update: W4 has arrived -

 

So my W4 just got here about an hour ago, and I have had some time listening to it against the W2 and the GR07 for kicks. This time, it's an actual "authorized" pair, so I have no worries of whether or not this is it's true sound. First, let me get the GR07 out of the way. I loved it before, but not so much anymore. First time I put it in, I couldn't get it equal on both sides -- it sounded like the right driver was defective. After fiddling for a bit, I got it to work better. At first the sound was very aggressive and in your face -- switched to W2 -- came back to GR07 -- and now it sounds as if the midrange is too distant. It's being strange.

 

Alright, so between the W2 and W4. W2 is definitely a lot smaller than the chubby housings of the W4. Luckily, both fit snuggly, but I still like the W2 a little better. Sound wise, I haven't tested it too much, so these are just initial impressions. W4 sounds almost identical to the W2, except a bit more zingy treble. It's nowhere near as bright as my first pair (from memory) but there is a zing to the treble that every once in a while gets just slightly uncomfortable -- but only for very brief moments. Other than that, I think I prefer the W2's smoother sound, and more forward midrange. For now, anyway...

 

Both are nicely balanced. W2 has more midrange less treble, W4 has more treble less midrange.

 

- Further Impressions -

 

Looking at the size, the W4 is almost twice as thick! But again, luckily it still fits me well enough. I will admit, the CNET review was kinda funny (on the W3) because they said they had to wear them "cord down" in order for them to work, because they were too big to wear over ear. Luckily, that's not an issue, but they are quite large. Everything else is the same, besides the W4 coming with more sizes of tips, a volume adjuster -- and the W2 coming with the E6 amp.

 

Sound wise, I'm liking the W2 more and more. Actually, let me rephrase, I'm "appreciating" the W2 more and more. Going from the W2 directly to the W4 really reveals how dry and bright it is in comparison. Simply doesn't sound as good. I've been giving it plenty of test songs, but the W2 is coming out on a consistent basis. If I just listen to the W4, and don't switch to the W2, treble is less of an issue. But once I get more or less "spoiled" by the W2, the treble on the W4 seems to be turned a couple notches up. This might explain why my first pair sounded so bright (maybe it was a legit pair after all) is because I was probably listening to something darker to begin with. Hmm, don't know though.


Edited by Katun - 2/9/12 at 3:52pm
post #2 of 52

Wow i didnt know that they sold "fake" products on amazon. Buy with caution i guess

post #3 of 52

I'm not aware of any fake Westone products..but I guess anything is possible. 

 

I'm glad you're enjoying the W2. If they are anything like the UM2, then their midrange is just beautiful. How would you say the RE262 compares to the W2? 

post #4 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckc View Post

I'm not aware of any fake Westone products..but I guess anything is possible. 

 

I'm glad you're enjoying the W2. If they are anything like the UM2, then their midrange is just beautiful. How would you say the RE262 compares to the W2? 


Hmm, maybe they don't sell fakes? I guess "not authorized" can mean anything from, "used and damaged" to "refurbished".

 

There was something up with my old W4 though. Because I wouldn't expect the W2 to outclass it fair and square.

 

post #5 of 52

Dual BA IEMs tend to have better coherence while multiple BA IEMs have a much better instrument separation. It's not really fair to say the W4 is outclassed just because you preferred the W2. 

post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post


Hmm, maybe they don't sell fakes? I guess "not authorized" can mean anything from, "used and damaged" to "refurbished".

 

There was something up with my old W4 though. Because I wouldn't expect the W2 to outclass it fair and square.

 


I've heard the W2 and W4 briefly before during an in-store audition, and I do think the W4 is better. But you never know, maybe you really do just prefer the W2. But if it's from a third party, it's very likely then that they're refurbished, used or even damaged, which would explain a lot. I've also got the RE262 on the way so I'm really looking forward to hearing the mids. 

 

post #7 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post

It's not really fair to say the W4 is outclassed just because you preferred the W2. 


Well, that's purely assuming that the W4's were some way not performing like they were supposed to. And I mean "outclassed" in a fashion that the W4's treble had a nasty spike in it and was very fatiguing. If it was merely just a "different sound" then it's more of a personal preference. But as apposed to technical capabilities, this W2 seemed more qualified as "high end" then my old W4.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckc View Post


I've heard the W2 and W4 briefly before during an in-store audition, and I do think the W4 is better. But you never know, maybe you really do just prefer the W2. But if it's from a third party, it's very likely then that they're refurbished, used or even damaged, which would explain a lot. I've also got the RE262 on the way so I'm really looking forward to hearing the mids. 


I tried to compare the RE262 with the W2, but it took over 10 minutes to get an even fit. I noticed the RE262 has a more forward midrange, but I've noticed the W2 performs better in the bass department, and is more balanced and neutral overall. Both are fantastic, and I'd keep the RE262 if it wasn't for the fact it's impossible for me to get a good seal. Maybe it's the wide nozzled tips my ears don't like?

 

post #8 of 52

Well, I do own the Westone 4Rs and did audition the Westone 2s before. Well, the 4s have a wider soundstage, better separation and more detail. So I do prefer the 4s over the 2s. And the W4s have fatiguing treble??? If anything I found the treble to be not enough sometimes. 

post #9 of 52

By OP's logic everything in the "For Sale" forum here is "unauthorized" and thus "probably fake". 

 

I never realized head-fi was such a big advocate of fake earphones. eek.gif And I've been selling fake IEMs to fellow members! Darn me. 

 

If you can't tell any difference between your "real" W2 and the"fake" W4 you have/had, possibly going from memory if you no longer have it, regarding build quality, cable coating, housing finish, packaging material, printed document, anything except your perceived sound quality, then these must be really really good fakes. Go KIRF!

 

 

 

post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post


Well, that's purely assuming that the W4's were some way not performing like they were supposed to. And I mean "outclassed" in a fashion that the W4's treble had a nasty spike in it and was very fatiguing. If it was merely just a "different sound" then it's more of a personal preference. But as apposed to technical capabilities, this W2 seemed more qualified as "high end" then my old W4.

 


I wouldn't even put the W2 close to high end. But as always, our ears are very much different. But just saying, sometimes people have a bias towards the things they currently own.

 

(fyi, the last statement is intended for the general public, not directed at you)

post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post


I wouldn't even put the W2 close to high end. But as always, our ears are very much different. But just saying, sometimes people have a bias towards the things they currently own.

 

(fyi, the last statement is intended for the general public, not directed at you)



Well, it's all a matter of preference, isn't it? I mean, I do consider the Westone 2 better than the Westone 3 as I found the 3s to have too much highs and lows. So I would think that the Westone 2s are in the low part of "high-end"

post #12 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

And the W4s have fatiguing treble??? If anything I found the treble to be not enough sometimes. 


Exactly, I didn't think an IEM of that caliber would. But then again, like I mentioned, I probably got a bad one.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrassilious View Post

By OP's logic everything in the "For Sale" forum here is "unauthorized" and thus "probably fake". 

 

I never realized head-fi was such a big advocate of fake earphones. eek.gif And I've been selling fake IEMs to fellow members! Darn me. 

 

If you can't tell any difference between your "real" W2 and the"fake" W4 you have/had, possibly going from memory if you no longer have it, regarding build quality, cable coating, housing finish, packaging material, printed document, anything except your perceived sound quality, then these must be really really good fakes. Go KIRF!


Really? Please quote me on it, I'm curious.

 

From memory, this packaging looks the same as the W4, except obviously the big "2" on it instead of a "4". Same accessories and everything. So I'm pretty sure I had legit W4, but not one in "perfect shape" (speaking of the driver). Then again, have you seen some of the fakes out there of other headphones? They are designed to look nearly identical. If they weren't, then they would be less successful in tricking people. (Not saying there are fake Westones, because there probably isn't).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post

I wouldn't even put the W2 close to high end. But as always, our ears are very much different. But just saying, sometimes people have a bias towards the things they currently own.

 

(fyi, the last statement is intended for the general public, not directed at you)


Well, notice I said "more qualified as high end". That basically constitutes that my W2 is better than my W4, but without specifically identifying it's actual place within the IEM world. Then again I haven't owned that many high end IEMs. From memory: DBA-02, GR07, Pro Gold, W2, PS200, TF10, PFE, RE262. So, I guess most of those aren't really "high end" but in fact, they kind of are. You just have to exclude customs from being compared to them.

post #13 of 52

Concerning the W4s, I can see how people can see the highs as being harsher/aggressive (they had a slight aggression to them when I reviewed them, I currently don't have them on me though since I sent them back to Westone as they wanted to see the connector, I had a 4R with a loose connector). 

post #14 of 52
Thread Starter 

I also found an EQ I really like for the W2.

 

0, +1, +2, +3, +4.

 

W2 doesn't change to significantly with EQ, so that adds the perfect amount of top end.

post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

Concerning the W4s, I can see how people can see the highs as being harsher/aggressive (they had a slight aggression to them when I reviewed them, I currently don't have them on me though since I sent them back to Westone as they wanted to see the connector, I had a 4R with a loose connector). 



I also had a loose connection with a previous pair of W4Rs which i returned to the dealer and got another pair. Im curious as to how Westone is covering this problem seeing how it may be a common one. Let me know what they do for ya! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Got my Westone 2 today! Better than my old W4. (UPDATE)