Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going) - Page 8

post #106 of 536
Thread Starter 

Correction:

The poweramp can play gapless song, but it is not 100%. It is made with an option which cuts the few seconds of silence between. It plays great sometimes and sometimes you hear a very very small 'tick' (no, not the one that you're usually heard in a non gapless way) just as you would know you are in the next song...

 

It's the maximum info I have.

 

Cheers

Izzi

post #107 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by globiboulga View Post

Izzi, can you please confirm with me that the Z2 is gapless natively (i.e. that the standard Cowon player is gapless)? 


There is no standard "Cowon" player in the android world.  All current versions of the Android OS run OpenCore 2.0 as the underpinnings to the standard music player.  OpenCore added Gapless playing in version 2.07.  However, Google has not updated past OpenCore 2.0

 

post #108 of 536
Thread Starter 

Hey

 

I have a question...do you think that a 64 Giga micro SD will work in the Z2??

 

Thanks!

 

Izzi

post #109 of 536

Yes it will, if you format it to FAT32 or NTFS.

post #110 of 536

Yes. I have a 64gb in my D3. As Dfkt mentions you need to format it to FAT32

post #111 of 536

Hi Guys,

Now we have moved on to memory, do you know if the player has a file limit for music files?  I heard in the past that it's normally 8000 music files for a Cowon... I hope the Z2 has a bigger limit so i can add a micro SD card and not worry about hitting the limit as I currently have 10,000 music files. 

post #112 of 536

Depends on the audio player you're using. Rockbox is unlimited, don't know about others.

post #113 of 536

have you tested video playback ? H.264 in MKV or MP4 format would be interesting.

post #114 of 536

It does use the 64GB micro SDXC card, I'm already using it with one. 

 

Also, I kind of fixed the issues I was having before.  Some of the files actually wound up fixing themselves after I moved them to the external storage; then moved them back onto the internal storage and they continued working, but there were still about 2 GB worth of stuff that it wouldn't read the tags for so I re-ripped and re-downloaded those and now they all work.

 

I tested video playback on about 7 movies (I can't tell you off the top of my head what codecs they were using or whether or not they're HD since I downloaded them rather than ripping them myself and I don't have them in front of me right now) in various buckets like avi, mkv and mp4.  6 of them (all MP4 and MKV) all played perfectly, smooth with no sound-sync issues, but the one AVI file I used it had a constant jitteriness to it.

post #115 of 536
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieh View Post

It does use the 64GB micro SDXC card, I'm already using it with one. 

 

Also, I kind of fixed the issues I was having before.  Some of the files actually wound up fixing themselves after I moved them to the external storage; then moved them back onto the internal storage and they continued working, but there were still about 2 GB worth of stuff that it wouldn't read the tags for so I re-ripped and re-downloaded those and now they all work.

 

I tested video playback on about 7 movies (I can't tell you off the top of my head what codecs they were using or whether or not they're HD since I downloaded them rather than ripping them myself and I don't have them in front of me right now) in various buckets like avi, mkv and mp4.  6 of them (all MP4 and MKV) all played perfectly, smooth with no sound-sync issues, but the one AVI file I used it had a constant jitteriness to it.

Hey Nieh!

 

It's time, that you may write us your opinion about the Z2! It seems to be that we are the only ones on the planet who has it (LOL) because everybody are still shocked from the D3...

Maybe you can write some stuff...

 

Cheers

Izzi
 

 

post #116 of 536

It's so horrible, my Z2 has arrived today at the post office, and because of the opening hours, i can't take it until saturday when i will not go to work !!!

post #117 of 536

 

So, now that I've actually used it for a couple days and have fixed the problem I was having with the tags, I'd say I'm pretty happy with the purchase.  The interface is smooth, with no lag.  The media scans on just a normal start up are normally done in like 10-20 seconds, but can take much longer when you've just put new files on it.  Sound quality is great, as expected.  I haven't experimented much with the jeteffects yet, but I made them match the settings I used on the J3 and despite that, they don't sound identical.  I can't say yet whether it's better or worse or just different.   The handful of games I've put on there so far (including Angry Birds) work great.  The screen looks amazing, but I don't know if I have any movies that really take advantage of it.  Wifi and web browsing are functional, but since it's a touch screen, typing's not as easy as an actual keyboard.  Battery life is pretty good.  After playing music for about 6-7 hours (all ogg/vorbis) I was at about 55%.
Two things I'm not the hugest fan of:
When you have the screen turned off and are listening to music, you can use the tactile buttons to pause it, but you have turn the screen back on and unlock it in order to make it start playing again.
I'm coming from the J3, which lets you go in by artist tag, then shows you all their albums as well as an option to just play everything by the artist.  With the Z2, if you choose an artist, it just shows you all of their songs rather than showing you a list of their albums, meaning if you want to actually listen to an album, you have to go in by album tag instead of by artist tag.
Other than that it's been pretty great.
post #118 of 536

My Z2 has just bricked. None of the (translated) suggestions in the manual are working. Going to contact ExportPrive and ask them to either put me in contact with an english speaking cowon tech rep or RMA it.

 

EDIT: I waited for the battery to run out then, while holding the play/pause button, inserted the usb cable. Got the recovery screen, hit 'home' then 'play/pause' to select the reboot option. Worked fine, Z2 is back among the living!


Edited by Gungr - 2/15/12 at 3:33pm
post #119 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieh View Post
I'm coming from the J3, which lets you go in by artist tag, then shows you all their albums as well as an option to just play everything by the artist.  With the Z2, if you choose an artist, it just shows you all of their songs rather than showing you a list of their albums, meaning if you want to actually listen to an album, you have to go in by album tag instead of by artist tag.
Other than that it's been pretty great.


If you organise all of your albums into 'Artist' directories, you can browse through the folders like you did on the J3.

post #120 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungr View Post



If you organise all of your albums into 'Artist' directories, you can browse through the folders like you did on the J3.


...or just install the PowerAmp app wink.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)