Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Any news about the Philips Fidelio M1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any news about the Philips Fidelio M1? - Page 2

post #16 of 30

Thanks for that Digitalversus link.  At least it's something. Same driver too as the L1. Neutral, so they say.

 

Sounds really interesting.

post #17 of 30

bump!

Interested in reading some  impressions about this M1

beyersmile.png
 

post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolinho View Post

bump!

Interested in reading some  impressions about this M1

beyersmile.png
 

+1

post #19 of 30

I have to admit I returned them to Amazon after a short listening session: too recessed highs for my taste, a bit bloated bass and too hot on my ears for prolonged office use -- overall a disappointment to me. Anybody looking for a fun amount of bass might like the sound signature though.

 

I do still own the L1, which shares some of these faults but has better build quality overall (cups are metal, not plastic, headband has better cushion etc.), still too dark but avoids the midbass hump I had with the M1 a bit better. Nevertheless I'm going to sell them as soon as the next pair of my small collection drops down to 'office use' ;-)

post #20 of 30

I tried them today. My ears tend to hurt easily with on ear, but the comfort on these ones was really good. I think the sound was alright but perhaps a bit too much bass for me, especially in this price range. I don't like the thought about turning down the bass or increasing the treble for something more expensive than Koss Porta Pro.

post #21 of 30

I bought them today with a 50% discount. However, I am still a little disappointed. As with the L1, comfort is amazing. Build quality is not on the same level, but still good.

Sound, though, is a different story.

 

It's not just warm and bassy, but there's really missing some highs at the top end. Bass bleeds and timbre is really not so good. Resolution is poor.

 

For us head-fiers the M1 should not be interesting. The HD25-II easily owns the Fidelio M1!

I think masses will be better off with the M1 instead of Beats Solo or Bose on-ear, but sadly the M1 belongs into the same category.

post #22 of 30

what about isolation on these?

post #23 of 30
post #24 of 30

So, I was looking for a closed back headphone that had an inline mic/button to use at work.  I really liked my L1, so I figured I'd try the M1.

 

I ordered the Black and Orange version from Amazon.  However, Amazon doesn't know the difference between M1 and M1i version. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FEE7KCS/

 

I really wanted the 1 button version, to work with my Android and Windows Phone.  The L1 has a 3 button remote and it doesn't work with some of my Android devices, and doesn't work with my Windows Phone at all.  I received the M1 from Amazon, but, contrary to the pictures and almost all model numbers in the listing, it was the 3 button M1i.  3rd party sellers have listed the 1 button remote version under the same Amazon listing.  I notified Amazon, that they should clean up their listings, but so far haven't.  I got my 1 button version from SonicElectronix.  While I had both, I took some pictures.

 

It seems that the M1i and M1BOi are what Philips released to the US, while the M1 and M1BO were the global versions.

So far, I like it.  I know it's not a flat sound, but it checks the boxes I wanted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by oryan_dunn - 8/31/14 at 1:39pm
post #25 of 30

I have a strange experience with the M1. Bought them a few days ago, first impressions were that these are very dark phones, but the sound is fat and creamy, with good resolution and insight. Anyway, the too dark sound really annoyed me, but I decided to give them a good listen, see how it works out. I also own Senn HD598, HD595 and Philips SHP9500. The strange thing is that after listening to M1 for like an hour and then putting on any of the other above mentioned bigger phones it feels like I'm listening to empty cans, not headphones! And I mean really empty and hollow cans! So I don't know wtf is going on, how can the smaller M1 leave the impression that it sounds bigger than the other larger headphones.

post #26 of 30
Today I"ll try a simple mod that is covering the bass reflex ports and see if that lowers the overemphasized bass a little bit
Edited by JulienS - 2/3/15 at 9:07am
post #27 of 30

Ok, here's the thing: these headphones are incredible!

I covered the bass reflex ports, it seemed like it lowered the bass a little, but I felt like I'm losing soundstage. So it was like a no go, too much of a compromise. I begun to grow impatiently as I felt that these cans have great potential, the vocals sound so real, so alive through them, kind of scary with some recordings. Started to read a little more on them, and found out that someone on this forum said that changing the cable gave him like a new pair of phones. It was hardly believable but i said fuc__ it, I'm willing to try anything to make these babies sing and I bought a QED Graphite cable to replace the stock cable. And it did it: it's like I have new superior headphones! I can't explain why and how but it seems that Philips ****@d things up with the stock cable and by the way that stock cable has so high microphonics that I could hear my heart beating thorough it. So, to anyone owning M1, try, just try changing the cable, see how it's like. The bass is tamed, the so much missed after highs are there, everything is so in balance.

post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienS View Post
 

Ok, here's the thing: these headphones are incredible!

I covered the bass reflex ports, it seemed like it lowered the bass a little, but I felt like I'm losing soundstage. So it was like a no go, too much of a compromise. I begun to grow impatiently as I felt that these cans have great potential, the vocals sound so real, so alive through them, kind of scary with some recordings. Started to read a little more on them, and found out that someone on this forum said that changing the cable gave him like a new pair of phones. It was hardly believable but i said fuc__ it, I'm willing to try anything to make these babies sing and I bought a QED Graphite cable to replace the stock cable. And it did it: it's like I have new superior headphones! I can't explain why and how but it seems that Philips ****@d things up with the stock cable and by the way that stock cable has so high microphonics that I could hear my heart beating thorough it. So, to anyone owning M1, try, just try changing the cable, see how it's like. The bass is tamed, the so much missed after highs are there, everything is so in balance.

 

Checked out their site.  Doesn't seem like any way to get that cable in the US.  How much is such a cable?  Where did you get it?

post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
 

 

Checked out their site.  Doesn't seem like any way to get that cable in the US.  How much is such a cable?  Where did you get it?

 

I'm in the European Union, this is the cable I got http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi_digital/performance_3.5mm_headphone_extension.html

It's not expensive at all, I paid something like 30 euros (40 dollars) for it. But I guess any quality cable should work. Just change that obnoxious stock cable. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the QED cable, it's really well built and made a huge difference.


Edited by JulienS - 2/3/15 at 12:42pm
post #30 of 30
Besides the stupid cable, another thing that spoils the sound are the earpads. They're just too thick and there's too much cloth and foam in there, and that has the tendency to veil the sound. If only I could remove them, it would get even better

Anyway, yesterday while in the store for the new cable, I checked out some other phones, namely Grado SR80e, SR125i and HiFiMan HE-560. Honestly, none of them was any revelation, quite the contrary. Compared to M1, the Grados sounded somehow hysterical and tinier. It seemed to me that 80e is better than 125i, more dynamic and detailed, but nothing spectacular. Also, compared to M1, their built quality was laughable. HE-560 seemed better and really difficult to amplify, I used a Beyerdynamic amplifier, they sound big, lush and spacious, but I wasn't on the floor if you know what I mean, I still think the sound is too average for the asking price.

Later edit: I cannot stress enough the beautiful way these headphones present the music with the new cable.
Edited by JulienS - 2/4/15 at 9:17am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Any news about the Philips Fidelio M1?