Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › Head-Fi mentioned in New York Times article about headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head-Fi mentioned in New York Times article about headphones! - Page 7

post #91 of 149

Magik32, it's a good experience experiencing high quality music listening for the first time isn't it. Glad you found it.

post #92 of 149

Thanks CantScareMe!  I'm looking to grow and learn more through the community.  It's been fun so far.

post #93 of 149
the amount of info on headfi is just vast. So there's plenty to stop you getting bored!
post #94 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post



True... But technically Head-Fi doesn't intentionally support other companies like Westone and Shure, just to name a few. Head-Fi isn't a real supporter in any company really, the companies just come to Head-Fi for Ads and Sponsorships. And with that said, Head-Fi isn't against Beats, Bose, and Soul. It's more of the users being against some companies like Beats; NOT Head-Fi itself. And new members are always good. So what if the new members ask questions like "Are the Souls any good?". Everyones been through that stage and I find myself asking the same questions about other products like AKG for example. There's no difference when someone asks a question like "Are Beats good?" or "Are AKGs good?". Both the same questions and I find it unfair that the Beats question is hated so much by some members in the community. If you don't like seeing it, don't bother looking at it because it's not going to make a difference either way. There will always be questions and always people willing to answer those questions. It's a free forum.

 


 

 

There's a reason why I've mostly stopped posting on the forums outside of my reviews. 

post #95 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post


 

 

There's a reason why I've mostly stopped posting on the forums outside of my reviews. 



haha keep at it while others continue to help the people stuck in the Beats phase ^^

post #96 of 149

This is a great thing!!! I am always in awe of how many people are really passionate about their headphones.  My wife, a psychologist, was able to bond today with a suicidal man because he loves headphones and she hears me blather about the ones I've had, have and hope to have - always curious, in search and obsessive.  Anywho, my obsession lent a practical good for someone, just as the article will allow others to find their way to new headphone adventures.  Excellent, even if in my gut I want to say many of the things others have said.

post #97 of 149

I was thinking the same thing.  I'd be reluctant to call myself an audiophile and (having heard them) think the Beats are abysmal.

 

Call me old school, but if you're going to write an article about headphones in one of the most widely circulated newspapers in the world, isn't there some sense of responsibility to properly inform your audience, and by that I mean to apply a discerning eye to the marketing, rather than to regurgitate what "some guy" said he likes, and mention a 5 star review on apple's website?

 

I suppose this is progress, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have reasonably high expectations of a NYT piece. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurosonic View Post

I guess all you need is several pair of moderately priced headphones and a love for Beats to be deemed an audiophile.



 


Edited by Southy013 - 2/10/12 at 8:53am
post #98 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southy013 View Post

I was thinking the same thing.  I'd be reluctant to call myself an audiophile and (having heard them) think the Beats are abysmal.

 

Call me old school, but if you're going to write an article about headphones in one of the most widely circulated newspapers in the world, isn't there some sense of responsibility to properly inform your audience, and by that I mean to apply a discerning eye to the marketing, rather than to regurgitate what "some guy" said he likes, and mention a 5 star review on apple's website?

 

I suppose this is progress, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have reasonably high expectations of a NYT piece. 

 

Is it just me or has NYT decided to ride on their image, just like Bose and Beats?

 

Personally, I think you do more damage giving uninformed information than not speaking at all.


Edited by jrkong - 2/10/12 at 8:58am
post #99 of 149

Well they do say even a fool may appear wise if he holds his tongue...

 

P.S. not referring to anyone in particular.

post #100 of 149

It is great that the NY Times has written an article about our great headphone/headfi community; however, do we really need to be validated by the NY Times???? We are who we are and we have existed as the Headfi community long before the NY Times article was written.  We need to keep our identity.  Will the NY Times make a donation $ to Headfi.org?  Will the NY Times reduce it's advertising rates so that we can advertise our great yearly event- CanJam at RMAF?  The NY Times is using us? It doesn't pay us to use our name as if we were a copyright or a trademark.  The question remains as to the NY Times article does anything for us at all.  I think that it does nothing but hype and promote with little substance on the real quality of those good headphone listeners and companies.  Really now- Beats and Bose!

post #101 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc View Post

It is great that the NY Times has written an article about our great headphone/headfi community; however, do we really need to be validated by the NY Times???? We are who we are and we have existed as the Headfi community long before the NY Times article was written.  We need to keep our identity.  Will the NY Times make a donation $ to Headfi.org?  Will the NY Times reduce it's advertising rates so that we can advertise our great yearly event- CanJam at RMAF?  The NY Times is using us? It doesn't pay us to use our name as if we were a copyright or a trademark.  The question remains as to the NY Times article does anything for us at all.  I think that it does nothing but hype and promote with little substance on the real quality of those good headphone listeners and companies.  Really now- Beats and Bose!


Its more of awareness mate - people might not know head-fi, I mean there are "only" 250,000 users registered WORLDWIDE, yet how many people do you think read NYT - possibly as much, if not more due to online coverage/articles

 

 

post #102 of 149

Hey guys, 

 

The point of the article was not to highlight the world's best headphones, but to point out the fact that headphones are becoming ubiquitous in everyday life. The writer, Jennifer Conlin, is a travel & style freelancer -- and a very nice woman IRL -- so you would expect her to single out "lifestyle" brands.

 

But regarding the whole "google headphones as research", that's the direction the entire industry has gone. It's not just the NYT.

 

Also, chances are the NYT was sent free headphones to review from some of the companies mentioned, so she might have just been going off what she saw lying around the office. This is usually the case any time you see a "gift guide" or "top 10 new products" type article, the list is populated by free samples that were given to the writers.

 

post #103 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuline View Post

Hey guys, 

 

The point of the article was not to highlight the world's best headphones, but to point out the fact that headphones are becoming ubiquitous in everyday life. The writer, Jennifer Conlin, is a travel & style freelancer -- and a very nice woman IRL -- so you would expect her to single out "lifestyle" brands.

 

But regarding the whole "google headphones as research", that's the direction the entire industry has gone. It's not just the NYT.

 

Also, chances are the NYT was sent free headphones to review from some of the companies mentioned, so she might have just been going off what she saw lying around the office. This is usually the case any time you see a "gift guide" or "top 10 new products" type article, the list is populated by free samples that were given to the writers.

 



This would have been a relevant article, by your description, had she written it a few years ago when the Beats hype was at it's peak. 

post #104 of 149

Dude, I don't think the beats hype has peaked at all...

 

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2011/11/02/beats-by-dr-dre-the-beats-store-nyc-opens-today/


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post



This would have been a relevant article, by your description, had she written it a few years ago when the Beats hype was at it's peak. 


But it's definitely NOT a GOOD article.

 

After all, she only used one source.

 

Chances are she wasn't getting paid enough to put more work into the article. Journalism is a rough industry, especially now that most outlets are relying on an army of zombies (read bloggers,hacks,freelancers,ghostwriters) from companies like Demand Media who have dropped the going rate to something like $10-$20 per article.


Edited by lazuline - 2/11/12 at 11:36am
post #105 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuline View Post

Dude, I don't think the beats hype has peaked at all...

 

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2011/11/02/beats-by-dr-dre-the-beats-store-nyc-opens-today/


Made me laugh at the comments:

"jimel

 

 

 

And How is this possible...?

I swear beats and Monster went their own ways, so how is opening a beats store any use, at least why now?

 

What they going to have in their store....HP laptops and a car insdie?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › Head-Fi mentioned in New York Times article about headphones!